Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Square Pair posted:

I've traveled to the Weisn for the past couple of years and will be there this year as well. I agree with "Stuhlmajor" - there are more tourists at Oktoberfest than Germans - so much so that it is easy to forget you are actually in Germany. Especially in the Schottenheimer tent which is known as the 'international tent'. Someone should just hang the Australian flag on a pole outside. Regardless though it is still fun as hell and Munich is a fabulous city - just expensive as hell.

Definitely reserve train tickets ahead of time - much cheaper than a last minute grab. The Hof Brau house is a big tourist spot, Marienplatz, Dachau (Concentration camp memorial) are easy Munich excursions or spots to visit. They have some beautiful churches there as well.

Restaurants - my 1st thought is that I've never had a bad meal in Germany, especially in Bavaria. I don't know the name but the next street behind the Hilton City Center on RosenheimerStrasse is a really good (and popular) German restaurant. I'll try and dig up the name from the Wife's facebook.

Munich native checking in (recently returned to the city after several years abroad).

The tent is called Schottenhamel, not Schottenheimer. Also the Wiesn is a festering pile of poo poo and vomit if you ask me. I avoid it every year, even though i live like 5 minutes walk away. To each his own.

The restaurant behind the Hilton which you mentioned is the Hofräukeller am Wiener Platz, which is actually pretty decent.

I know a lot about the less expensive and alternative spots in Munich - shoot if you need some non-touristy suggestions for this beautiful town!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

eine dose socken posted:

Also the Wiesn is a festering pile of poo poo and vomit if you ask me. I avoid it every year, even though i live like 5 minutes walk away. To each his own.

This. I hate being dragged there every year by my friends, my family AND my colleagues.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Haha not me. I'm as anti-Wiesn as you can get.I haven't been since i was 14, and that's a long time ago.

I've never caught poo poo for it, being sick of the stupid Oktoberfest is a pretty common attitude among locals in Munich.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

eine dose socken posted:

Haha not me. I'm as anti-Wiesn as you can get.I haven't been since i was 14, and that's a long time ago.

I've never caught poo poo for it, being sick of the stupid Oktoberfest is a pretty common attitude among locals in Munich.

Or Bavarians in general. At least I'd like to think that. Oh who am I kidding...

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

Instead of going to Munich for Oktoberfest, come to Hamburg on a saturday night and take stroll on the Reeperbahn. Go clubbing, get wasted, buy drugs. experience being ripped of by a hooker, start a bar brawl and spend the rest of the night in a holding cell of the famous police station Davidswache. Reeperbahn > Wiesn :smugbert:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
DeusEx have you personally done all those things?

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

niethan posted:

DeusEx have you personally done all those things?

Except the bar brawl and the police arrest. What shall I say, I'm
a pussy I guess.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
So in the beginning of october I'll be moving to south munich, can anyone say how nice the perlacher wald is compare to Hirschau? Also, what's there really to do in the far south of there? I've only ever really gone as far south as isarvorstadt/maxvorstadt

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

You meant Isarvorstadt/Ludwigsvorstadt - Maxvorstadt is the neighborhood around Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, it's north of the city center.

How far south? The south isn't very interesting tbh, there's mostly residential neighborhoods that don't have a lot going for them.
The Hirschau is much nicer than Perlacher Forst, it's mostly firs and tends to be quite gloomy except for the summer.
I live in Sendling, near Harras, and that's as far south as i want to be- everything below the Brudermühlbrücke is really sleepy and suburban...

The Isar is amazing in the south though- everything below Wittelsbacherbrücke is gorgeous since they renaturalized the river.
Just bike south to the Isartal below Pullach, or even further to Kloster Schäftlarn, it'an amazing place to swim and enjoy nature.
You can also make it a day trip to Bad Tölz or the Isarauen around Wolfratshausen, that's always great.
Thalkirchen has a lot to offer if you like beer gardens and nature, and Giesing (especially Untergiesing) is packed with nice Greek and Bavarian restaurants.

As for entertainment, just bike upstream and get drunk in Glockenbachviertel like everyone else :)

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

eine dose socken posted:

Munich native checking in (recently returned to the city after several years abroad).

The tent is called Schottenhamel, not Schottenheimer. Also the Wiesn is a festering pile of poo poo and vomit if you ask me. I avoid it every year, even though i live like 5 minutes walk away. To each his own.

The restaurant behind the Hilton which you mentioned is the Hofräukeller am Wiener Platz, which is actually pretty decent.

I know a lot about the less expensive and alternative spots in Munich - shoot if you need some non-touristy suggestions for this beautiful town!

Yep, that's it - the Hofraukeller. As time gets closer to the Wiesn I'll definitely shoot you a PM for some out of the way places in Munich. My two associates and I are laid back/non-obnoxious and would fit in anywhere. We are staying at the Hilton again so transportation isn't an issue. I know one thing I will ask is a place to buy lederhosen in Munich. There are plenty of shops in the city center/Marienplatz but they seem expensive. Hopefully there are other places a little cheaper but same quality.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
tourists in lederhosen are loving offensive. If you like that kind of thing, you'll fit right in at Oktoberfest though.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Someone in munich should goonp it up with me once I get there for school in october. I'm living in perlach in the SW residence there.

edit: this is also why I was asking about the perlacher wald

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Previously on GBS posted:

tourists in lederhosen are loving offensive. If you like that kind of thing, you'll fit right in at Oktoberfest though.

Tourists in Lederhosen in Hamburg are even more offensive (as witnessed by me on Saturday).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Pretty much anyone in Lederhosen is offensive to the regional populace somehow since, in 90% of the cases, it's either a mismatched clusterfuck of different regional/cultural attires, or, when someone actually has a matching set, they're wearing it in the wrong place, ie. generic bavarian outfit worn in Frankonia or vice versa.

Not that I give too much of a poo poo, it's actually still mildly entertaining when people proudly tell you how authentic their outfit is and you can just shoot them down (or drive them into denial) with a few preprogrammed lines.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

People in lederhosen are offensive because they look retarded as poo poo.

But whatever suits you, dressing up in ridiculous garb to drink massive amounts of booze works well in other contexts- like mardi gras/carnivals/bad taste parties.

Be warned though- there's a lot of people who loving hate lederhosen/tracht in general and on tourists especially. Expect to get treated like an idiot if you step off the tourist trail.

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

I was born in Wurzburg and every year I'm asked why I'm not wearing lederhosen. Now it may be that they want to see me in lederhosen so they can laugh and troll me in German and have me respond in my horrible southeast american accent. It won't matter anyway, I just want to walk around with the cock-flap undone...

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Does anyone know anything about Hochschule Rhein-Waal? It's relatively new (founded in 2009), has low fees, and has most classes completely in English including the degree program I want which isn't all that common in any language. It's looking too good to be true.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Why do you think that the university being new is a good thing? It's not a proper university, it's located in the middle of nowhere, and they mostly offer highly specialized study programs. You didn't give any context though, so maybe that is exactly what you are looking for.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Yeah, most of their study programs are labeled as "starting in 2013"- their curriculum is pretty limited so far.

If you're looking to go to a university of applied sciences (Fachhochschule in German), there's a ton of them all over Germany, with varying degrees of competence and popularity.

They are mostly designed as a an alternative to traditional universities, and have been under quite some fluctuation in the past years, with new ones opening all the time.
They are open to a wider range of educational backgrounds than the main universities, since you don't need the Allgemeine Hochschulreife (Abitur) to attend.

Depending on what degree you're looking for, it could also mean that the degree isn't as highly regarded, especially if it's from a completely new Fachhochschule in some podunk town...

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

eine dose socken posted:

Depending on what degree you're looking for, it could also mean that the degree isn't as highly regarded, especially if it's from a completely new Fachhochschule in some podunk town...

I thought as much. It being new is definitely not something I see as a good thing and is the main reason I decided to ask about it.

The other places I'm looking at are all real universities but I've been feelng insecure about learning German lately so got sucked in by the idea of studying in English.

Fasheem fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 12, 2011

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Think about it as an amazing opportunity to really get to learn a language- deep immersion style!
Get there a month or two before the semester starts, and ask everyone (roommates etc.) not to speak english- you'll pick up the language in no time (depending on your previous skill of course).

I've seen chinese and american students come in with really shaky german skills and massively improve them in the course of one semester..

Also, if you ask me, try to go to a big university in a big city- german small university towns can be boring as gently caress. I've heard stories from friends who studied in Bamberg or Passau and they were super glad to leave after graduation.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
I don't know if Freiburg counts as a small university town, but I loved the ability to get into nature in 5 minutes if I wanted to. The attitudes of a certain type of local, on the other hand...

BTW: there are traditional universities all over the place with degree programs in English, especially the newer/natural sciences programs. Though I would recommend researching any program you're thinking of applying for really carefully. I think a lot of the English language stuff in Freiburg is more salesmanship than innovation, for example.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
It's not a scam or anything, if you would rather study in English and the program is exactly what you are looking for, then maybe should just go for it. Just make sure that the program is accredited and your degree will be recognized. And maybe find some current students to talk to.

There are some really good Dutch universities near the border, they probably have more classes that are taught in English. Tuition for non-EU students is really high though, 6+k/year if I remember correctly.

I disagree about big universities being better, I got my Bachelor's degree from a pretty small university in a city that I think most Germans couldn't even find on a map and I loved everything about it.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I think I have you all beat when it comes to boring university/fh towns. My FH town's claim to fame was the loving Heino Cafe and thats it.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

eine dose socken posted:

Think about it as an amazing opportunity to really get to learn a language- deep immersion style!
Get there a month or two before the semester starts, and ask everyone (roommates etc.) not to speak english- you'll pick up the language in no time (depending on your previous skill of course).

I've seen chinese and american students come in with really shaky german skills and massively improve them in the course of one semester..

I'm at that frustrating point where I seem to be almost semi-competent.

I really want to do a prep semester/year at a Studienkolleg, but I can't get in to most of them. Except for language skills I qualify for direct entry, so I could do the language course but not the content course. Some universities have started offering an optional pre-semester (Propädeutikum) for direct entry students since they noticed a lot of them were flunking out (compared to students who were forced to attend a Studienkolleg), so there's that at least.

Troubadour posted:

I think a lot of the English language stuff in Freiburg is more salesmanship than innovation, for example.

I've noticed this, mainly because the "International" programs are usually very expensive. Half the reason I want to study in Germany is it's cheap. :v:

I've been reading a lot about the small town vs big city debate and I'm still undecided.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Guten Tag! A few questions from someone considering emigration to Deutschland from the US.

How are job prospects for a college graduate with a 3 years of work experience in his field?

Are there any particular areas of the country where someone with a great deal of interest in the musical arts, especially orchestral music, might want to consider?

I understand that the German government requires all German citizens to forsake all other citizenships. Is this still the case?

What is the general attitude of the German people to immigrants? I consider myself to have a modest grasp of the German tongue, but there will surely be a bit of a transitory period as I become more familiar with the language. Are there particular parts of Germany where English wouldn't be of use to help communicating?

On a similar note, is there any substantial differences in dialect across the nation? I studied German in school, and was told that I was learning something called "High German", or something similar.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nosy_G posted:

Guten Tag! A few questions from someone considering emigration to Deutschland from the US.

How are job prospects for a college graduate with a 3 years of work experience in his field?
Well, depends what you do for a living.

quote:

Are there any particular areas of the country where someone with a great deal of interest in the musical arts, especially orchestral music, might want to consider?
You'll be fine in basically every big city

quote:

I understand that the German government requires all German citizens to forsake all other citizenships. Is this still the case?
I guess so

quote:

What is the general attitude of the German people to immigrants? I consider myself to have a modest grasp of the German tongue, but there will surely be a bit of a transitory period as I become more familiar with the language. Are there particular parts of Germany where English wouldn't be of use to help communicating?
You're from the US, you'll be fine. As for English, don't expect perfect Oxford English in the more rural areas. Most people should be able to understand you.

quote:

On a similar note, is there any substantial differences in dialect across the nation? I studied German in school, and was told that I was learning something called "High German", or something similar.
There are lots of different dialects. (Almost) everyone speaks Hochdeutsch, however even the accents caused by the dialects might be enough to make it hard for people from the north and south to understand each other. Again YMMV.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Nosy_G posted:

Yeah and it's not just a legally non-binding affirmation, you actually have to legally relinquish your other citizenships and bring proof. And if you somehow get your old citizenship back, you'll lose the German one automatically. (There are some exceptions, notably for EU citizens, but those wouldn't apply to you.)

Nosy_G posted:

The general attitude is positive, but you won't be regarded as German anytime soon.

Nosy_G posted:

The differences are substantial, but any normal person will also speak Hochdeutsch.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

flavor posted:

The general attitude is positive, but you won't be regarded as German anytime soon.

If you moves anywhere to Bavaria or - god forbid - Frankonia, you won't ever be considered german. Your decendants, possibly, but you, never. You'll always always stay a "Neigschlafda".

But this is not a bad thing, it's just how them people down yonder see things.

By the way, Nosy, do you have any specific idea of where you'll want to head as of right now?

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything

Stuhlmajor posted:

If you moves anywhere to Bavaria or - god forbid - Frankonia, you won't ever be considered german. Your decendants, possibly, but you, never. You'll always always stay a "Neigschlafda".

Is Frankonia the most Bavarian of Bavaria? I have a friend who lives in Coburg, he's an Ossie (Thueringa) though, and pretty self conscious of it in Bavaria.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

timtastic posted:

Is Frankonia the most Bavarian of Bavaria? I have a friend who lives in Coburg, he's an Ossie (Thueringa) though, and pretty self conscious of it in Bavaria.

Don't call Frankonians Bavarian. They will kill you.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

Nosy_G posted:

Not always. The Internet's #1 resource for Germans who want to have multi-citizenship is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zweipaesse/

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Alan Greenspan posted:

Not always. The Internet's #1 resource for Germans who want to have multi-citizenship is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zweipaesse/
While that's really nice, judging by the stories on its front page, this looks more like a site for Germans who are about to become citizens of other countries and not the other way around. Nosy_G is not even German yet. (By "Germans" he obviously, based on his situation, meant people about to become Germans.)

There are all kinds of exceptions for people from EU countries, people born to parents from two different countries etc., but none of that changes the fact that Nosy_G will have to renounce his U.S. citizenship legally and officially if he wants to become German.

[It would be actually interesting if then, as a German, if the U.S. wants him back, he could get a Beibehaltungsgenehmigung. I guess it would depend on how German authorities view somebody playing citizenship games like that in order to circumvent the renunciation.]

I actually think Germany's stance on multiple citizenship is terrible and outdated and prevents lots of people from becoming German citizens, thus hampering integration. I wouldn't mind having a discussion about it, but this is not D&D.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Don't call Frankonians Bavarian. They will kill you.

This. Take it to the bank.

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything
Is there any part of 'Prussia' or the 'Prussian people' around anymore?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Well, that depends. Not in any official way, shape or form, no - but sometimes it's used (self)mockingly. That happens very rarely, though - that it's used at all, I mean.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Depends on what you mean.

There has not been a "Prussian" identity in the original sense for a pretty long time - the place was stolen by Germans quite early - but until the Nazis and then the Soviets worked on homogenizing things, there were still many Old Prussian place names and such around the region. I think the Slavic-speaking people of the area have been pretty well absorbed into Polish culture now, although I think you'd be better off asking about that in the Poland thread if there is one. In so far as they haven't, if I'm not mistaken they'd identify as "Masurians" anyway.

As for Prussia and Prussians in the German sense, some of those Germans who got kicked out of East Prussia after the war are still alive and still resentful about it, and there remains a small number of German speakers living there; that's about the closest you'll get. Nobody from pretty much anywhere else that was historically part of the kingdom of Prussia will even remotely self-identify as a Prussian except when joking about how Bavarians feel that everyone north of the Main is a Saupreiß or whatever.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Yeah, in Saxony we call people from Brandenburg/Berlin "Preußen" sometimes, but I don't think they ever use it for themselves.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

the place was stolen by Germans quite early
What's that supposed to mean? Prussia was stolen by Germans? It was German all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Calling people that speak regular hochdeutsch "Preußen" is fairly common in some regions/states like Saxonia, Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg, Frankonia...heck, in Frankonia pretty much everything outside the regional borders is considered "Prussia".