Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pretentious Turtle posted:

This is the first and probably only time I'd ever consider getting a tag.

This, I've always wanted a game-related tag but the SR3 one isn't really my style. To be honest, I'm way more interested in this game no matter how much people try to tell me I'm not. I know SR3 is supposed to be "the perfect game" and all but Deus Ex has always had a spot in my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'd be happy to get it, just let me know which version is the preferred one. Also some snappy sub-text suggestions would be appreciated.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

The Shape of Things to Come

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Tecman posted:

Here's a smaller version, 125x31:

(256 colors, 42kb) - Fixed Pixel: (42kb)

(160 colors, 34kb) - Fixed Pixel: (32kb)

(90 colors, 24kb) - Fixed Pixel: (27kb)

(64 colors, 21kb) - Fixed Pixel: (24kb)

(32 colors, 17kb) - Fixed Pixel: (19kb)

edit: Fixed the pixel Zorak pointed out. The file-sizes of those are a bit bigger because I used a lower "Lossy" setting. Can still be tweaked.

Great work, that looks awesome, and has sated my desire to make one myself. However, I do have a humble offering:

If you don't notice a difference, try putting it in winamp.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Everdraed posted:

Great work, that looks awesome, and has sated my desire to make one myself. However, I do have a humble offering:

I don't use winamp, what's the audio type (if it is audio)?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Reive posted:

I don't use winamp, what's the audio type (if it is audio)?
It's What a shame

Reive
May 21, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

It's What a shame

I figured something like that, got it to work.

Also a request, does anyone have the pixel font that's used in communication messages?
The one that looks like this, I removed the drop-shadow to make it easier to identify but it didn't really help.

EDIT: Gah forgot this was the HR thread, font from DX1.

Reive fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 14, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Everdraed posted:

Oh my loving god.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

That's really really cool.

It also works in VLC, although the sound comes out strangely truncated.

If you are one of those few people who use SMplayer, you can listen to it by changing the extension to .mp3

EvilCoolAidMan
Jun 26, 2008

Everdraed posted:

That's pretty slick as poo poo, this coming from a thread lurker but I can not wait to get my hands on this game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Can't wait for the plethora of "I didn't ask for this" jokes that will be incoming.

They're tearing this world apart.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

They're tearing this world apart.

I didn't ask for this.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Everdraed posted:

"My gangtag is augmented."

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Everdraed posted:

You magnificent son of a bitch you.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Everdraed posted:

My mind is pretty much blown. Well done, sir, well done!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Everdraed posted:

Hackers.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
I can not believe you, Everdraed. Holy poo poo that is awesome.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Okay, that owns so much. :stare: Hey mods, you've mentioned the resolution restrictions, but what about filesize? Because if this wasn't almost 30kb, and it feels a bit big for a tag, I'd be buying it right then and there.
edit#2: I have a friend who is willing to "host" the tag as his avatar, so all I need now is confirmation on the filesize. :)

edit: Q&A With Eidos-Montreal and Nixxes Software on the PC Version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The devs describe why the outsourced PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks and plays like it was designed for the PC first.
( http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/deus-ex-3-unofficial-title/1187766p1.html )

After BioWare's hardcore tactical RPG became consolized in Dragon Age II and Crytek's rig-busting shooter lost its oomph in Crysis 2, PC gamers were near catatonic when they learned Eidos-Montreal outsourced the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Not again. Not Deus Ex. Not a console port!

Fear not, Eidos-Montreal tells us in an exclusive interview, making a straight console port of Deus Ex: Human Revolution was never an option, and the studio went to great lengths to co-develop the PC version with partner Nixxes (while getting an added assist from hardware partner AMD). The result, Eidos-Montreal Director of Technology Julien Bouvrais and Nixxes Software Founder and President Jurjen Katsman explain, is an outsourced game that looks and plays like it was designed for the PC first.

GameSpy: Warren Specter's and Harvey Smith's original Deus Ex is on the shortlist of all-time PC classics. Knowing this, how important was it to Eidos-Montreal to make a great PC version of Human Revolution?
Julien Bouvrais, director of technology, Eidos-Montreal: Deus Ex is one of those legendary franchises amongst developers. A vast majority of people who have been working in the industry for a while and have been playing games since they were kids, have dreamt about one day being part of such a cornerstone of the gaming history. I remember back in June 2007, when I started at the studio, I was employee number 11 and at that time pretty much everyone spent their first days playing the original Deus Ex again. That was a self-imposed requirement. Everyone felt it was important that it be fresh in our minds when we talked about the game and what Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be.

GameSpy: So why was the decision ultimately made to outsource the PC version?
Julien Bouvrais: Obviously, while console versions of the game were part of the picture, PC was also a big focus. It was simply out of the question to do a straight port of the console version to PC, while being able to keep the essence of the adventure we experienced seven years before. With this in mind, we started exploring ways to best create the whole Deus Ex: Human Revolution project -- console and PC. There was really no way our team could tackle all three platforms at the same time. Making a Deus Ex game is an incredible challenge in the first place and we wanted to be sure we wouldn't put the game at risk.

GameSpy: So you turned to Nixxes Software, most recently Eidos Interactive's partner on the PC version of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Why was the Netherlands-based studio the right choice for Human Revolution?
Bouvrais: Working with an external studio that had lots of experience on PC, with which Eidos had been working for several years, started to make a lot of sense. Nixxes knew the engine extremely well, they had delivered many PC games, and were huge fans of the Deus Ex franchise as well. The head office was really supportive of this decision, and retrospectively, I am convinced this is one of the best decisions we made to ensure the quality of the game. When we took the initial steps to outsource the PC version, Nixxes was already collaborating with us on the game and had a very good understanding of what we were trying to achieve. They didn't really have to get up to speed on the technology or our ambitions, which clearly allowed for a very smooth transition. The Eidos-Montreal and Nixxes teams literally worked together in the same code repository, keeping in contact daily. We were as close as we could be to one another considering both studios are 6,000 kilometers apart.

GameSpy: Jurjen, how did your studio react when it learned it would be working on a prequel to Deus Ex?
Jurjen Katsman, founder and president, Nixxes Software: Everyone in the studio was extremely excited about working on Deus Ex: Human Revolution. We have worked on PC versions of quite a few games over the years, but Deus Ex has been such an iconic franchise on PC that it really made it a special project for Nixxes. Everyone really wanted to play a part in ensuring that the PC community would get the prequel that they have been waiting on for such a long time. Since we had already been working with Eidos-Montreal on the technology for quite a while, it was relatively easy to roll into the project. We had already met some of the key contacts, in most cases face-to-face, so communication went quite smoothly.

GameSpy: When Eidos-Montreal revealed to the public that the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution was being outsourced, the reaction from the PC gaming community was fast and furious. How aware of the fan feedback were Eidos-Montreal and Nixxes? Did it have any impact on the work you were doing on the PC version of the game?
Jurjen Katsman: We followed the announcement and the reactions quite closely here at Nixxes. I would say that some of the more negative reactions only made us more determined to make sure that the PC version would really stand out and be a great PC game. Many reactions also confirmed that we actually were on the right track. A lot of fears that people voiced were about things we would never consider acceptable in a PC game either.

Julien Bouvrais: Even before we announced the collaboration with Nixxes, there was a great fear from the fans of the original game about the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. We were following the community in the forums and their reactions about the rebirth of Deus Ex and what it would mean for the PC version of the game. Many were scared that it would be a straight port of the console game, which is exactly what we, the developers both at Eidos-Montreal and Nixxes, just didn't want for the game. We took many steps in ensuring the PC version would have its own flavor. I would say that the fans' reactions on the forums and social networks did have a direct impact on our decisions as it comforted us in our decision to not only outsource its development, but also work with AMD as a hardware partner to deliver even more specific features.

Jurjen Katsman: It was also good to see that it was not only negative reactions. People actually had faith in us doing a good job on this game, and I believe that with Deus Ex: Human Revolution we have lived up to that expectation.

GameSpy: Let's get into the nuts and bolts of the PC version of the game. What specific features set it apart from its console counterparts and make it a game that's truly designed for PC gaming?
Julien Bouvrais: First off, Nixxes developed a DX11 renderer that is used on the PC, when available. We did leverage this by adding several features you will see when you have DX11 hardware on your PC: real-time tessellation, improved Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, improved blurs and depth of field. We also added custom support for AMD's Eyefinity (multiple monitors), and 3DHD. On another note, the user interface has been tailored for the keyboard, and mouse controls can be fully customized for your gaming habits.

Jurjen Katsman: We did quite a lot of work on anti-aliasing as well. We offer various anti-aliasing options to gamers to choose from depending on how powerful their hardware is. They really help smooth out rough edges that you can see more easily on a PC monitor. Technically, little details that we believe PC gamers will appreciate are additional options to customize the gameplay, like adjusting the FOV, and disabling the reticle.

GameSpy: Any features you wanted to work into the PC version that didn't make the cut? And of those features that did make it, which do you think will impress PC gamers the most?
Jurjen Katsman: As for something that didn't make the cut, after we had been quite successful in using tessellation on characters, we also spent quite some time trying to use it on the environment as well. With the type of cityscape environments that we see in Deus Ex: Human Revolution it ultimately wasn't a good fit.

Julien Bouvrais: My favorite feature on PC would be the ability to extend your view with Eyefinity as it really adds depth to the experience... this is really something everyone needs to try.

GameSpy: Given that impressive feature set, how do you compare playing the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the console versions? In what ways is the experience different on PC?
Jurjen Katsman: We are obviously a little biased, but for us here at Nixxes, the PC version really is the version you should play. The extra depth you get from 3D or EyeFinity, and the extra crispness of the enhanced resolution, effects, and frame-rate, really give you superior visuals. And the speed and accuracy that you get from playing with mouse and keyboard compared with a gamepad, at least for me personally, makes it a pretty easy choice.

Julien Bouvrais: Looking back at what the game looks like on PC, I am really proud of what we have accomplished. Let's be realistic in that obviously this is the same story on all three platforms -- the same characters, the same core gameplay features, etc. However, when I play the game on console or on PC, my approach is different... the experience is different. If you ask people on the team which version of the game they prefer to play, you will get different answers, and I truly think it depends on what kind of a gamer you are. Those who usually play on console prefer the console versions whereas the PC gamers wouldn't play Deus Ex: Human Revolution on anything other than a PC. This is how I personally measure what we have accomplished with the game.

GameSpy: Wrapping things up, how would you describe the overall experience of making the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution together?
Julien Bouvrais: Overall, developing Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been an incredible experience for me. It was never an easy ride, but we took the time we needed to make it right, and I am happy with the result. We learned a lot about the franchise and about ourselves as a team, and this is really key when you start a studio from scratch like we did. When it comes to PC, we have reached our goals to deliver a unique experience on this platform and Nixxes has been a big part of this.

Jurjen Katsman: The cooperation with Eidos-Montreal has made Deus Ex: Human Revolution an amazing project for us and we are very proud of the end result. We hope that it will show people that having the PC version produced by another studio can actually really be a good thing for a game.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 14, 2011

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I knew after playing the leak I needed this on PC, I'm going away to Hawaii for a month on the 30th so could have waited to play the game, But I've decided I'll get it on release day because I think this title deserves a day one purchase.

Seems the devs have really put alot into designing this game to offer a decent experience to the gamer

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Everdraed posted:

:psyboom:

Also wanted to reask a question I saw a couple of pages back, didn't see an answer:
How do the pre-order bonus weapons/items compare to the basic items in the game?

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Supreme Court posted:

:psyboom:

Also wanted to reask a question I saw a couple of pages back, didn't see an answer:
How do the pre-order bonus weapons/items compare to the basic items in the game?

The bonus weapons are pretty much the same as the basic weapons only with some mods built in and they can't be further improved. They start out stronger, but within a couple of hours the basic weapons end up just as powerful. Personally I found myself just ignoring the bonus weapons because I like that feeling of making my gun a little bit better at a time.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tecman posted:

Okay, that owns so much. :stare: Hey mods, you've mentioned the resolution restrictions, but what about filesize? Because if this wasn't almost 30kb, and it feels a bit big for a tag, I'd be buying it right then and there.
edit#2: I have a friend who is willing to "host" the tag as his avatar, so all I need now is confirmation on the filesize. :)

As small as possible, but 28k should be fine I think.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Doesn't it work that as long as someone uploads it, they don't have to keep it? Otherwise, how would you be able to pull people's old avatars from the server?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Doesn't it work that as long as someone uploads it, they don't have to keep it? Otherwise, how would you be able to pull people's old avatars from the server?

That is indeed the case. It doesn't have to be an "active" avatar.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
*grumble grumble* Spending $15 on avatars in a matter of days :) *grumble grumble*

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Supreme Court posted:

Unless the preorder package plans have changed, the bonus mission via GameStop is the only preorder exclusive. Every bonus item can be obtained later in the game. What the preorder essentially gives you is early access to the package-specific items. So, the answer to your question is "they're exactly the same."

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I really hope that there's more interviews to come - they're really interesting reading material.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Tecman posted:

*grumble grumble* Spending $15 on avatars in a matter of days :) *grumble grumble*

Your sacrifice will be remembered.

Really, at this point there should be a character named after you in the drat game or something.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have kept myself hideously in the dark about this game. I have not played the leak, nor have I even read one spoiler. All I'm going on is what you guys have to say. That's making me even more excited, and I can't loving wait. I can honestly say I haven't been excited about a single player game, like this, in years. Maybe 10 years!

I'm the kind of guy who really enjoys a multiplayer experience. I will only play a single player game if it's outstandingly good, or if it's hugely nostalgic.

I am prepared to lock the doors and close my blinds. I will probably dress in a bed sheet, and perhaps a tin foil hat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kazvall posted:

I have kept myself hideously in the dark about this game. I have not played the leak, nor have I even read one spoiler. All I'm going on is what you guys have to say. That's making me even more excited, and I can't loving wait. I can honestly say I haven't been excited about a single player game, like this, in years. Maybe 10 years!

I'm the kind of guy who really enjoys a multiplayer experience. I will only play a single player game if it's outstandingly good, or if it's hugely nostalgic.

I am prepared to lock the doors and close my blinds. I will probably dress in a bed sheet, and perhaps a tin foil hat.

You're going to be pleasantly surprised. It really is one of the best single player games I've ever played, even compared to the original(and it's not even finished yet!). Like EVERYTHING is improved over the original which is even better.

also that tag is beautiful i want it right now ;_;

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 14, 2011

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
My avatar is augmented. Stronger, faster, golder and blacker.

I like how I'm stuck on deciding which avatar sounds better.

To get the tag, you just put http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/2c/fe/00041839.0003.gif in image tags as part of your title, right?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Everdraed posted:

My avatar is augmented. Stronger, faster, golder and blacker.

I like how I'm stuck on deciding which avatar sounds better.

To get the tag, you just put http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/2c/fe/00041839.0003.gif in image tags as part of your title, right?

The second one, most definitely.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Black Eagle posted:

Unless the preorder package plans have changed, the bonus mission via GameStop is the only preorder exclusive. Every bonus item can be obtained later in the game. What the preorder essentially gives you is early access to the package-specific items. So, the answer to your question is "they're exactly the same."
Not that I doubt you, but I really wish this was written clearly in stone somewhere. I'm stuck on the precipice of deciding whether to order the UK Augmented off Amazon/Game or get the regular edition from GMG/Steam, and it's basically all down to whether these items are exclusives or not.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I know its been said a thousand time in the thread, but boy do I hope the gameplay will be good enough to make me forget that everything is brown and gold, 2 colors I seriously find nauseating. It's only my opinion though.

Edit: Ok I take it back, I found something much more worst than this game, at least this seems like a aesthetic choice

Bonby fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 14, 2011

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I finally feel augmented. (Thanks Tecman)

Also Everdraed, the second one is definitely better.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

also that tag is beautiful i want it right now ;_;

It took me entirely too long to screen capture his face just like that.

You don't need a Chinese massage, you need an Italian massage!

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Profanity posted:

Not that I doubt you, but I really wish this was written clearly in stone somewhere. I'm stuck on the precipice of deciding whether to order the UK Augmented off Amazon/Game or get the regular edition from GMG/Steam, and it's basically all down to whether these items are exclusives or not.

Try this. The questions were answered by an Eidos Moderator.

quote:

Every weapon that's included in the pre-order packs has an analog in the standard game in some form or another. You won't be missing out on the possible functionality if you choose not to get a given pack, but you will lose the presence of these non-upgradeable pre-specialized versions. For example, it's been announced previously that you can mix 'n' match various grenade types with different deployment mechanisms.

You're really not missing out either way when it comes to the weapons. All you get there are some shiny extras. No, the real difference is whether you want the extra mission or the extra credits.

From that same post, for those folks who were wondering, the PC version is region-free.

Also, if you were thinking about getting this title for a console, think again?

quote:

HOW WILL THE PC VERSION BE DIFFERENT FROM THE CONSOLE VERSIONS?

DirectX 11
The PC version of DX:HR will feature DirectX 11 support for improved visuals. It will have more advanced AI to compensate for the precision offered by the mouse, in addition to optimized controls, and a unique UI tailored to the platform.

Field of View
Nixxes Software have added an in-game FOV setting to DXHR (PC version)
Source: Official FAQ

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Will they be pre-loading the game via Steam?

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Black Eagle posted:

Try this. The questions were answered by an Eidos Moderator.
Ah, thanks, that's very helpful. I will put a silencer on the normal sniper rifle and save myself eight quid then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Say, are there any ingame pre-order bonuses for getting the normal version on Steam? They don't seem to be listed.

Edit: I've also decided. I'm going to play my first Jensen as non-aggressive as I can. Full stealth and hacking build focusing on non-lethal weapons.

That being said I'm going to carry around a revolver so I can repay Jason Namir in kind and put a bullet in his head.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 14, 2011

• Locked thread