Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
I found it to have the same issue as all Paradox games: The initial hump can be a real bitch--especially if you start as a smallish power--but once you get to a point of real power, you're more or less an invincible juggernaut and from there on it's just a matter of how much you can bother to conquer before you're bored. In CK, especially if you start as an OPM (ie count), that hump can be even bitchier than some of the others, and low-stat rulers or other randomness can put a temporary halt on your progress, but not really halt it permanently if you halfway know what you're doing.

Which I assume is why Wiz is doing things like playing by personality traits and houserules/mods to prevent excesses; it makes for an interesting narrative in the long run, whereas strict optimized gameplay just leads to boring blobs of doom.

Frankly, rather than a full mega-paradox thing from CK on, I would have liked to see a start in EU3 somewhere in Asia or wherever that's not on the map here, but maybe next time? (Not that this run hasn't been greatly entertaining already.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!
Wiz's amazing LPs have gotten me to pick up EU3, and holy crap did I underestimate how insane these games are. Silly me, I became obsessed with saving Byzantium from the Ottoman Empire. This is probably not the best nation to start out with, but hey, I've only had to completely restart 4 times due to my economy imploding (it would be really nice if the Trading mechanic was, you know, explained at some point), and once because I swear Venice did NOT show up as allied with Albania but apparently they were and I got dogpiled by half the Mediterranean.

I would really like to get to this "invincible juggernaut" stage at some point. Living in fear of Venice and their massive goddamn alliance that makes expansion completely loving impossible is really irritating.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

thark posted:

I found it to have the same issue as all Paradox games: The initial hump can be a real bitch--especially if you start as a smallish power--but once you get to a point of real power, you're more or less an invincible juggernaut and from there on it's just a matter of how much you can bother to conquer before you're bored. In CK, especially if you start as an OPM (ie count), that hump can be even bitchier than some of the others, and low-stat rulers or other randomness can put a temporary halt on your progress, but not really halt it permanently if you halfway know what you're doing.

Which I assume is why Wiz is doing things like playing by personality traits and houserules/mods to prevent excesses; it makes for an interesting narrative in the long run, whereas strict optimized gameplay just leads to boring blobs of doom.

Frankly, rather than a full mega-paradox thing from CK on, I would have liked to see a start in EU3 somewhere in Asia or wherever that's not on the map here, but maybe next time? (Not that this run hasn't been greatly entertaining already.)
Boring Blobs of doom can still be held in check by silly things like an HRE Burgundy sitting on the border of my France-England-Turkey-Central Asian Empire with tons of vassals/PUs including Spain effectively preventing me from gobbling up HRE Electors with their gigantic army vs. my giganticer but spread out army.

#superpowerproblems

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
In DW you get cascading alliances--A is allied with B, B is allied with C, C is allied with D, declare war on A and you might end up at war with B, C and D too. I don't believe this was the case in previous versions.

The thing that really annoys me about the trading (not that I'm going to claim a perfect understanding of its mechanics and how best to exploit them) is that it doesn't auto-send to monopolies, so if you want to take full advantage, you end up having to do it manually anyway eventually.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

thark posted:

In DW you get cascading alliances--A is allied with B, B is allied with C, C is allied with D, declare war on A and you might end up at war with B, C and D too. I don't believe this was the case in previous versions.

The thing that really annoys me about the trading (not that I'm going to claim a perfect understanding of its mechanics and how best to exploit them) is that it doesn't auto-send to monopolies, so if you want to take full advantage, you end up having to do it manually anyway eventually.
It will, but only if you put the little bar thing all the way up.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

Boldor posted:

Would you be able to revive the Fatimid Caliphate? I suppose that may require that it not be still surviving in scattered bits around you; I can't tell if that's the case or not.

Does it even make sense to ask if you can revive a Caliphate in the way you can revive a kingdom?

From my understanding the Fatimid Caliphate is a unique title that is non-creatable. If the Fatimids are conquered, poof goes the title. The only way to resurrect the Fatimid Caliphate is to find it surviving in scattered bits around you and find a way to inherit the Fatimid title/claim to the Fatimid title and then take it in a war.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Verus posted:

That world map looks remarkably messy, Wiz. There's still a long way to go, but do you plan on doing much clean up to make the borders neater come EU3?

CK maps are always incredibly messy by the end. I'm sure Wiz'll make it a little more sane in the conversion.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Verus posted:

That world map looks remarkably messy, Wiz. There's still a long way to go, but do you plan on doing much clean up to make the borders neater come EU3?

Yes, of course.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

K0npeito posted:

Wiz's amazing LPs have gotten me to pick up EU3, and holy crap did I underestimate how insane these games are. Silly me, I became obsessed with saving Byzantium from the Ottoman Empire. This is probably not the best nation to start out with, but hey, I've only had to completely restart 4 times due to my economy imploding (it would be really nice if the Trading mechanic was, you know, explained at some point), and once because I swear Venice did NOT show up as allied with Albania but apparently they were and I got dogpiled by half the Mediterranean.

Trading in the early era of the merchant republics is a very hit or miss affair. If you aren't willing to invest in full sliders + NIs, stay home.

Byzantium is a surprisingly good choice, as long as you're willing to game the system. Starting from the absolute beginning sucks, but if you start a few years later the Ottomans briefly restore extra land to the Byzantines and to make matters even better there's a Ottoman Pretender camped out in the western empire. At that start you can start a war with the Ottomans at Day 0 and expect to win.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

thark posted:

You hear that Wiz? Looks like your next LP is already lined up.

(Please do glorious Japan everyone loves Japan)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

thark posted:

The thing about that is that you'd miss out on the amazing scenario randomizer that is CK.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Wiz posted:

The thing about that is that you'd miss out on the amazing scenario randomizer that is CK.

Just run a 300 year hands off game, convert, and play as Asia. Problem solved!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

But... nobody ever loves India. :sigh:

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

sniper4625 posted:

Please don't do glorious Japan, especially not DW Japan. Ugh.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
A scenario randomizer would be more ideal if we had had a full Vanilla EU3 LP.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

sniper4625 posted:

What, no. Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and the Glorious Bhutanese Empire is the only possible choice.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Rejected Fate posted:

But... nobody ever loves India. :sigh:

India only exists to give the West a place to get the Trade Routes modifier and the Timmurids a good way to settle down.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Xerophyte posted:

What, no. Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and the Glorious Bhutanese Empire is the only possible choice.

Could we have at least one thread without running gags and cathcphrases?

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!

Conskill posted:

Trading in the early era of the merchant republics is a very hit or miss affair. If you aren't willing to invest in full sliders + NIs, stay home.

Byzantium is a surprisingly good choice, as long as you're willing to game the system. Starting from the absolute beginning sucks, but if you start a few years later the Ottomans briefly restore extra land to the Byzantines and to make matters even better there's a Ottoman Pretender camped out in the western empire. At that start you can start a war with the Ottomans at Day 0 and expect to win.

Yeah, I did that, and I scored a couple of provinces off of them after I basically occupied the whole of Asia Minor for a year and a half (amusingly, the free Ottoman Empire was briefly reduced to a couple of provinces in ITALY of all places). Now I just have to worry about an ascendant Serbia camped out in my backyard and allied with bunch of seagoing powers, and Crete (which I somehow got into a war with thanks to those sprawling alliance chains) sniping one of my provinces in southern Greece.

I really wish this game would, y'know, inform me at a slightly higher level than the spammed up announcements window when I'm being besieged or get into naval battles. "Your Majesty, we have lost the battle of Morea!" "...there was a battle?!"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

theblastizard posted:

A scenario randomizer would be more ideal if we had had a full Vanilla EU3 LP.

What I'd really like to see is someone play with the EU3 random map generator set to randomize only the new world. Especially if they don't tell the audience that until they actually discover the new world. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with DW.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Pakled posted:

What I'd really like to see is someone play with the EU3 random map generator set to randomize only the new world. Especially if they don't tell the audience that until they actually discover the new world. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with DW.
Yeah, that is too bad.

Of course, I am usually a Eurocentric player when I do EU3 and I totally ignore the New World.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I just realized a Paradox LP with vast potential for comedy and chaos: Poland in EU3 with goons taking the place of Poland's Sejm. For those unfamiliar with the Sejm, it historically had power over legislation, taxation, budget, treasury matters in general, and foreign affairs. From the 17th century onward, Sejm sessions required unanimous votes on all decisions. No session of the Sejm could run longer than six weeks, and if they couldn't reach a unanimous decision in the six weeks, the entire proceeding was declared null and void.

The most notable feature of the Sejm, though, is the policy of liberum veto, which means "I freely forbid". The specific implementation of liberum veto evolved over time, but eventually, if any member of the Sejm declared liberum veto, that session immediately ended and every decision they had reached was null and void. Liberum veto was eventually abolished shortly before the 1800s, having been responsible for paralyzing Poland's bureaucracy for decades.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

K0npeito posted:

Yeah, I did that, and I scored a couple of provinces off of them after I basically occupied the whole of Asia Minor for a year and a half (amusingly, the free Ottoman Empire was briefly reduced to a couple of provinces in ITALY of all places). Now I just have to worry about an ascendant Serbia camped out in my backyard and allied with bunch of seagoing powers, and Crete (which I somehow got into a war with thanks to those sprawling alliance chains) sniping one of my provinces in southern Greece.

I really wish this game would, y'know, inform me at a slightly higher level than the spammed up announcements window when I'm being besieged or get into naval battles. "Your Majesty, we have lost the battle of Morea!" "...there was a battle?!"

Admittedly, the default notification options are pretty bad, but you can change them. I set the game to pause any time my forces enter or end a battle, whenever a siege ends, and whenever enemies lay siege to one of my provinces

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Is it any wonder why Poland got ripped to shreds by Russia/Prussia/Austria?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

K0npeito posted:

You can customize what shows messages in the announcements window and what gives you pop-ups. It'll take a while to go through everything, but it makes the game much more enjoyable.

edit: ^^:argh:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Cyrai posted:

I just realized a Paradox LP with vast potential for comedy and chaos: Poland in EU3 with goons taking the place of Poland's Sejm. For those unfamiliar with the Sejm, it historically had power over legislation, taxation, budget, treasury matters in general, and foreign affairs. From the 17th century onward, Sejm sessions required unanimous votes on all decisions. No session of the Sejm could run longer than six weeks, and if they couldn't reach a unanimous decision in the six weeks, the entire proceeding was declared null and void.

The most notable feature of the Sejm, though, is the policy of liberum veto, which means "I freely forbid". The specific implementation of liberum veto evolved over time, but eventually, if any member of the Sejm declared liberum veto, that session immediately ended and every decision they had reached was null and void. Liberum veto was eventually abolished shortly before the 1800s, having been responsible for paralyzing Poland's bureaucracy for decades.

This is a terrible idea. You just know that some jerk will spitefully declare "liberum veto" if he doesn't get that he wanted.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Snipee posted:

This is a terrible idea. You just know that some jerk will spitefully declare "liberum veto" if he doesn't get that he wanted.

Well...yeah. That's exactly the point. That's how it worked in real life.

As far as the LP went, there would have to be some limitations in place. Maybe that, for any given Sejm session, there have to be 5-10 posts with actual content before liberum veto could be declared. Further, only people who have contributed 5-10 posts with content would be allowed to declare it.

Aside from maybe a few other minor ideas, you'd want to keep liberum veto as realistic as possible. It was a horrible idea for Poland, and it should be pretty horrible in the LP. The LP wouldn't be an incredibly serious one. I expect it would quickly dissolve into chaos and arguing and a pretty quick annexation of Poland. I was thinking it would mostly just be an amusing diversion, if anything

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Snipee posted:

So slightly more productive than the Cretan Senate?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snipee posted:

More like someone will declare liberum veto every single session because they think it's the height of comedy.

I actually entertained the idea of a liberum veto LP but I don't think it would be fun, every single session would be shut down quick and nothing would happen in-game. It wouldn't even be entertaining in a trackwreck way because OF COURSE we'll get annexed if we don't do anything.

The most fun parts of Crete weren't the gridlock updates. Constant failure is no more fun than constant success.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 14, 2011

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Wasn't there already a poland LP that got abandoned way back?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yes more parliamentary LPs I must count more please Wiz.

Also, yeah, there was a Poland LP that died in conversion to Victoria. What a shame, it was pretty good.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That Poland LP looked like it was going down the route of becoming a liberal constitutional monarchy. It would have made an interesting change from being a conservative Catholic monarchy like in Wiz's and Fintilgin's previous megathreads.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Pakled posted:

That Poland LP looked like it was going down the route of becoming a liberal constitutional monarchy. It would have made an interesting change from being a conservative Catholic monarchy like in Wiz's and Fintilgin's previous megathreads.

That does seem to be a trend in Paradox LPs.

Perhaps this will buck the trend. Who knows, perhaps we'll end up as communists. I've not seen that yet.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

skipThings posted:

Could we have at least one thread without running gags and cathcphrases?

I'm sorry, have you met the Internet?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Rejected Fate posted:

That does seem to be a trend in Paradox LPs.

Perhaps this will buck the trend. Who knows, perhaps we'll end up as communists. I've not seen that yet.

Serbia ended up as a Polythestic Republican Dictatorship at least.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

eating only apples posted:

Thanks a lot, Wiz. You've got me playing EUIII again and I (still) have no idea what I'm doing. I played for a while as Ryazan and got steamrollered by Muscowy and Lithuania. Now I'm Castille because it seemed to be the easiest one and I'm still losing money and can't make more and Aragon won't loving accept my marriage proposal. I hate this game :argh:

EUIII is at its most difficult in the beginning. Just hang on and you will get a lot more breathing room, to the point that you will probably quit somewhere in the 17th century because there is no challenge left. Also, why would you ever play as Ryazan? Even for a pro, it would be hard to survive.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Once I got over the hump I find EU3 way easy (I also cheat sometimes, but WHATEVER). I still can't figure out CK though; I was the duchy of Burgundy, I actually successfully broke away and didn't get a DoW from france, but I got steamrolled 30 years later because I got realm duress and one of my vassals declared war and IMMEDIATELY became part of France and they declared on me too :argh:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

You hear that Wiz? Looks like your next LP is already lined up.

It's Nippon motherfucker. :colbert:

Rajputs! Build forts!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I will never be able to bring myself to play Burgundy without the awesome EU3 flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
This thread finally convinced me to try CK, and I've ran into a problem: I'm trying to take some provinces from the King of Egypt during a crusade and he is obstinate as gently caress. Even controlling all his provinces in Egypt won't do it. Even offering a -2000 peace deal to him while controlling all his provinces in Egypt won't conclude a peace. Even offering a -2000 peace deal to his 5-year old successor after assassinating the former ruler, while still camping out in Egypt, won't do it.

Where's the Annex Province from Godless Heathen button? :argh:

• Locked thread