Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We just started watching the movie Splice and I terrified my girlfriend when I screamed out "RODNEY!" when David Hewlett appeared on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
I don't think it was pointed out during all the brute force dialing discussions, but the reason it didn't work for Carter or the 1950s SG program is because without a DHD to compensate for "galactic drift" or whatever the addresses were slightly out of sync. The only reason Abydos and the 1950s dialing worked was because those gates were close enough that the thousands of years of galactic drift didn't effect the address. It was also the reason the trip to Abydos was so rough in the movie. After Carter compensated, all the addresses started working and the trip became like stepping through a doorway.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

MisterFusion posted:

I don't think it was pointed out during all the brute force dialing discussions, but the reason it didn't work for Carter or the 1950s SG program is because without a DHD to compensate for "galactic drift" or whatever the addresses were slightly out of sync. The only reason Abydos and the 1950s dialing worked was because those gates were close enough that the thousands of years of galactic drift didn't effect the address. It was also the reason the trip to Abydos was so rough in the movie. After Carter compensated, all the addresses started working and the trip became like stepping through a doorway.

But that was only for Earth because they didn't have a DHD and had to use their own computer. Trying to brute force from any other planet wouldn't have that particular problem (not that they really explained how galactic drift would somehow change the symbols, or how they would change the computer to magically work, it's really just a handwave to retcon the movie).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Palleon posted:

But that was only for Earth because they didn't have a DHD and had to use their own computer. Trying to brute force from any other planet wouldn't have that particular problem (not that they really explained how galactic drift would somehow change the symbols, or how they would change the computer to magically work, it's really just a handwave to retcon the movie).

Exactly. It doesn't matter. Brute forcing it yields the same statistical probabilities of getting a hit regardless of "galactic drift" or not. You're still hitting the same keys on the keypad. So yeah, the explanation of "oh well, Abydos worked because it hadn't moved enough" was dumb. They should have just said "we got lucky with Abydos, we're going to use the Abydos cartoushe (however it's spelled) as a sort of Rosetta stone. Of course, that's still shaky since they have no other points of reference soooo.

In essence, the address library thing is just a suspension of disbelief thing.

EDIT: To speak nothing of how retarded it is to use constellations to denote a point in space.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 12, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spent the day at WizardWorld Chicago today, met Alaina Huffman and Julia Benson. Alaina is super sweet and very cute. Julia is drop dead gorgeous, and absolute treat to talk to and had a rock on her finger the size of a gold ball. I told her how much I enjoyed SGU and how much the internet wanted a third season. She said they all loved working on the show and she was hoping for more opportunities to smack idiot scientists around. The we talked about comics and I told her she'd make an amazing Wonder Woman and she said he agent been pushing her to audition for the pilot but her schedule didn't allow it.
Good day all in all.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

EDIT: To speak nothing of how retarded it is to use constellations to denote a point in space.

Not to mention needing six of them.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Idran posted:

Not to mention needing six of them.
They use 6 coordinates to define a volume of space in the shape of a cube. This way they can contact a Startgate without needing to know it's exact location, only it's general location. There is no way for anybody on Earth to have known this before going through the Stargate, and there is no way Daniel would have ever figured it out because he's terrible at math. He does not even know that the concept of zero is required for space travel.

However, this only makes sense if they intend the Stargate to be used by people that would not understand a complex numbering system so obviously the ancients meant for it to be used by anybody because the ancients don't give a poo poo. They intended to leave the gate network behind the entire time, and then when they get called for help because of that gate network they say, "nope, prime directive, sorry!"

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rhyno posted:

Spent the day at WizardWorld Chicago today, met Alaina Huffman and Julia Benson. Alaina is super sweet and very cute. Julia is drop dead gorgeous, and absolute treat to talk to and had a rock on her finger the size of a gold ball. I told her how much I enjoyed SGU and how much the internet wanted a third season. She said they all loved working on the show and she was hoping for more opportunities to smack idiot scientists around. The we talked about comics and I told her she'd make an amazing Wonder Woman and she said he agent been pushing her to audition for the pilot but her schedule didn't allow it.
Good day all in all.

Sup man :hfive: I can attest to all this; Julia and Alaina were super awesome, and Julia asked me about places to eat around Chicago (I told her Pequod's).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Yaos posted:

They use 6 coordinates to define a volume of space in the shape of a cube. This way they can contact a Startgate without needing to know it's exact location, only it's general location. There is no way for anybody on Earth to have known this before going through the Stargate, and there is no way Daniel would have ever figured it out because he's terrible at math. He does not even know that the concept of zero is required for space travel.

However, this only makes sense if they intend the Stargate to be used by people that would not understand a complex numbering system so obviously the ancients meant for it to be used by anybody because the ancients don't give a poo poo. They intended to leave the gate network behind the entire time, and then when they get called for help because of that gate network they say, "nope, prime directive, sorry!"

My bigger issue is that its absolutely asinine as literally no constellation will look the same from a different star system, especially star systems on the other side of the galaxy. Constellations are completely arbitrary and just based on your perspective of the bright stars you can see from your part iin the galaxy.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

My bigger issue is that its absolutely asinine as literally no constellation will look the same from a different star system, especially star systems on the other side of the galaxy. Constellations are completely arbitrary and just based on your perspective of the bright stars you can see from your part iin the galaxy.

To be fair, in the movie that's why Abydos had different symbols entirely, it was just a budgetary concern.

But even then:

Yaos posted:

Okay, I guess that would make sense, but that leads to the other problem: it would be impossible to actually use constellations for that, even just on Earth.

I'm not even sure why I'm harping on this, since it's not like Stargate has ever really been anything close to hard sci-fi. It's just this one thing has always really bugged me about it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hewlett posted:

Julia asked me about places to eat around Chicago (I told her Pequod's).

Why? Do you hate her?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

zVxTeflon posted:

Why? Do you hate her?

I like it, and she didn't want a chain place :colbert: Where the gently caress else was I supposed to send her?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Picking my SG1 watch back up in the middle of season 2.

The general saying "Son, do you know what color this phone is?" in Touchstone slayed me.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Idran posted:

To be fair, in the movie that's why Abydos had different symbols entirely, it was just a budgetary concern.

But even then:

Okay, I guess that would make sense, but that leads to the other problem: it would be impossible to actually use constellations for that, even just on Earth.

I'm not even sure why I'm harping on this, since it's not like Stargate has ever really been anything close to hard sci-fi. It's just this one thing has always really bugged me about it.

I'm not saying it really bothers me, it's just stupid. Basically, using Earth constellations to define a point in space... you'd be defining the Earth in the Earth's frame. This is because the constellations would only look that way to the Earth from our star. It's like standing in a room and trying to declare the position of someone on the other side of the planet by naming a point on each of the walls around you. All you're doing is defining your position, not the position of your destination.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

JetsGuy posted:

I'm not saying it really bothers me, it's just stupid. Basically, using Earth constellations to define a point in space... you'd be defining the Earth in the Earth's frame. This is because the constellations would only look that way to the Earth from our star. It's like standing in a room and trying to declare the position of someone on the other side of the planet by naming a point on each of the walls around you. All you're doing is defining your position, not the position of your destination.
It' not like it makes sense even if every planet has a unique gate, it's not like you'll know the exact position of every constellation; from the planet you'll have no way of knowing how far away a star is unless you wait a few months and use your caveman trigonometry to figure out the distance. The only reason to not use a complex numbering system or a computer that asks where in the galaxy you want to go is so people who have no idea what number or planets are can use the system, so the users of the system would never even have a clue what the constellations are supposed to mean. They could have just easily used barn yard animals. That would be more exciting when they have to remember what the sequence was, "I think a cow, and then a bull, and then a turkey" *turns into an ancient*.

Or the whole thing was open source and as we all know, open source UIs are terrible and make no sense.

Edit: For everybody that has not been following the Star Trek thread I have a special treat for you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8U4B8gnK-w

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Exactly. The DHDs are just giant padlocks that use constellations instead of numbers. They just decided to use Earth constellations for some reason.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JetsGuy posted:

Exactly. The DHDs are just giant padlocks that use constellations instead of numbers. They just decided to use Earth constellations for some reason.

Ancients are assholes

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bobkatt013 posted:

Ancients are assholes

"Here are a bunch of symbols you have no way of understanding unless you've been to Earth, or stars within a close proximity of Earth. Enjoy, everyone!!!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

"Here are a bunch of symbols you have no way of understanding unless you've been to Earth, or stars within a close proximity of Earth. Enjoy, everyone!!!"

Lets not forget lets build stargate in space and if people dial them and not in a ship the die!

Also rewatching Atlantis and why didn't they kill off Kavanagh he is so annoying. I also wish they showed O'neills reaction to his letter describing all the mistakes he thinks Weir did.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 15, 2011

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bobkatt013 posted:

Also rewatching Atlantis and why didn't they kill off Kavanagh he is so annoying. I also wish they showed O'neills reaction to his letter describing all the mistakes he thinks Weir did.

I would watch a show that was nothing but a bunch of Kavanaugh clones before I went back to watching the tripe that is SGU.

PS - We did see O'Neill's reaction. He condemned Kavanaugh to Midway station.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

I would watch a show that was nothing but a bunch of Kavanaugh clones before I went back to watching the tripe that is SGU.

PS - We did see O'Neill's reaction. He condemned Kavanaugh to Midway station.

Ha ha that is right. Also Teyla singing > SGU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

bobkatt013 posted:

Ha ha that is right. Also Teyla singing > SGU

Whoa let's not go crazy here. SGU did have the guy from Full Monty.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

General Emergency posted:

Whoa let's not go crazy here. SGU did have the guy from Full Monty.

Yes but also Chloe

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes but also Chloe

I like to imagine that Eli survived by siphoning the life support power from Chloe's pod.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

drcru posted:

I like to imagine that Eli survived by siphoning the life support power from Chloe's pod.

If by siphoning power, you mean devouring her corpse, then yes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Season 2 of SGU was pretty good. Season 1, not so much.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Didn't they establish in season 9 or 10 of SG-1 that the gate symbols are actually letters or sounds in Ancient, and the actual gate address ends up being the Ancients name for the planet, as sounded out by the symbols? Or was that one planet just a special case?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Palleon posted:

Didn't they establish in season 9 or 10 of SG-1 that the gate symbols are actually letters or sounds in Ancient, and the actual gate address ends up being the Ancients name for the planet, as sounded out by the symbols? Or was that one planet just a special case?

That was the Volcano planet that they got the first ZPM from. It was the second time Jack had the ancient knowledge in. I forgot if they said that was a special case or it was the case with all the addresses.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

bobkatt013 posted:

That was the Volcano planet that they got the first ZPM from. It was the second time Jack had the ancient knowledge in. I forgot if they said that was a special case or it was the case with all the addresses.

I assume it would only be true for planets which were originally colonised by the Ancients.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

The planet I was thinking of is the one where they found Merlin, Vala figured out that the name of the planet corresponded to gate symbols and they were able to dial in.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I know the original case of that was Teonas Proclaroush or whatever.

Still, the symbols are constellations, which is fine. It's just dumb as gently caress to say it defines a point in space other than Earth and a few closeby stars.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Tupping Liberty posted:

Picking my SG1 watch back up in the middle of season 2.

The general saying "Son, do you know what color this phone is?" in Touchstone slayed me.

Hammond of Texas was my favorite character in the entire show. I was majorly bummed when Don Davis died -- he was by all accounts a genuinely nice guy.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Effingham posted:

Hammond of Texas was my favorite character in the entire show. I was majorly bummed when Don Davis died -- he was by all accounts a genuinely nice guy.

I know the years wouldn't work out right at all, but I always liked to imagine some kind of connection between Hammond and Briggs from Twin Peaks. Two great shows, and after all, "deep space radar telemetry" is basically what Briggs did in Twin Peaks. :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Don Davis is in the White Lodge

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It's not like Stargate is even internally consistent. On one hand, you have the repeatedly used idea that moving a gate in proximity to a planet causes it to respond to that planet's address (See: second gate on Earth, and I think that was a plot point of the S1 finale). On the other hand, you have people moving gates and having their original address working, even when not even in the same galaxy (See: Pegasus Bridge). Do gates respond to their address no matter their location or not?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mortanis posted:

It's not like Stargate is even internally consistent. On one hand, you have the repeatedly used idea that moving a gate in proximity to a planet causes it to respond to that planet's address (See: second gate on Earth, and I think that was a plot point of the S1 finale). On the other hand, you have people moving gates and having their original address working, even when not even in the same galaxy (See: Pegasus Bridge). Do gates respond to their address no matter their location or not?

Pegasus bridge gates had all new addresses that Rodney or someone (rodney) had to calculate. There was a throwaway line about how they were removed from the network. They also used milky way gates as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, they had to use gates from both galaxies because for some reason they would only work in their own galaxy because :techno:.

That whole gate bridge thing was just dumb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Or it was due to the age of the gate system. As they said the only gate that could dial the milky way in the Pegasus galaxy was Atlantis.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

Or it was due to the age of the gate system. As they said the only gate that could dial the milky way in the Pegasus galaxy was Atlantis.

Because the Atlantis one had a special control chip, one that they only had one of and couldn't replicate. The gate bridge overcame this by making the trip to a halfway point they could walk 30 or so ft and jump back into the other network.

I've seen every stargate episode like 10 times or more, except for sgu, and that was twice each.

Edit - the only reason the earth gate could do the trip to Atlantis is because the ancients having originally started the gate network on earth hard coded earth as the gate to rule all others.

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Hah, what are the odds? The SG-1 episode on Space today is the one where they do the eighth chevron trick for the first time. Then after that, it's the Atlantis pilot.