Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Man, I love The Mars Volta. And when I set out to find a place to discuss The Mars Volta, no thread answered my search queries. I'm sure some other of you cool kids are into TMV so I thought to make this.

Who is The Mars Volta
The Mars Volta is a Progressive-Rock band with influences in Jazz, Punk, Traditional Hispanic Music and other Prog-Rock sounds and cryptic and at times nonsensical lyrics. The two people you may know in the band are bassist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, who last year released seven albums, and vocalist Cedric Bixler-Zavala who, like Omar, were both in Post-Hardcore Punk band At the Drive-In. As of 2009 they have released five albums and have a sixth on the way.

Why is part of the title in Spanish?
Because there is a good amount of songs with Spanish segments and some songs are entirely in Spanish.

Releases

• Tremulant EP

Tremulant is the first The Mars Volta release and the first EP. It has four songs on it that stylistically (and I think thematically) fit with De-Louse in the Comotorium. All songs on this are eventually put on the A Missing Chromosome B-Side

• De-Louse in the Comotorium

De-Louse in the Comotorium is the first full album from The Mars Volta. Its story is one of a man who attempts to kill himself with rat poisoning only to fail and to be put into a coma that he perceives as another world where he meets three Tremulants. He awakes from his coma, unfulfilled, ashamed and still suicidal. He kills himself by jumping off of a bridge. The story is partly inspired by a friend of the band's Julio Venegas. De-Loused is considered by many TMV's perfect album and is ranked quite high in many Best of 2000's lists.

• Frances the Mute

Frances the Mute was released two years after De-Loused in 2005. Like De-Loused, it too is a concept album based on real life events. Jeremy Ward, audio artist for The Mars Volta until his death, had previously worked as a repo man. One day, Ward discovered a diary in the backseat of a car he was repossessing, and began to note the similarities between his life and that of the author — most notably, that they had both been adopted. The diary told of the author's search for his biological parents, with the way being pointed by a collection of people, their names being the basis for each named track of Frances the Mute. Ward was in the process of completing it at the time of his death. Frances the Mute is one of TMV's most fiscally successful releases and is famous for it's 30 minute epic "Cassandra Gemini".

• Amputechture

Amputechture is the third studio album TMV has released. This one is less appreciated. For some reason it's a hard listen and people dismiss it and don't give it the multiple chances it needs. It's funny; Several times have I heard people say they hated this album, and then after the third or fourth time listening to it they couldn't get it out of their head. It's a lot BIGGER than the previous two albums, it's a lot more referential, it has a lot more Spanish in it and it isn't a concept album. However, it is still a great and amazing album that I'd suggest you listen to probably last as it is kind of... splitting. Also, due to fans' reaction to this album, The Mars Volta refers to Amputechture as their Autistic Child because the amount of love and care they put into it.

• The Bedlam in Goliath

The Bedlam in Goliath is TMV's fourth studio album and a return to concepts. On a trip to Jerusalem, bassist Omar bought a Ouija Board that in short, caused a lot of bad poo poo to happen and what they believe release a malevolent spirit. I'll let you read the story here. This record has a really great atmosphere to it while being probably one of the easier and most "Hard Rock" of TMV's albums. It's my personal favorite because it feels dangerous and very chaotic and it has some pretty sweet rear end jams on it too. WARNING: Heaaaaaaaaavy use of dual vocal tracks; One high and one low.

• Octahedron

Octahedron is TMV's fifth and most recent release. This is probably the most approachable album. It's pop-ish and fairly short. Nothing on here is heavy Prog-Rock. Great vocals and really nice songs, but I honestly don't think it is as impressive as any of their other albums.

• Noctourniquet

Announced on June 17th 2012 and set to release on March 27th 2012 the new TMV album Noctourniquet. The most the band has said about this album is this quote from Cedric "“Sorry no spanish [sic] on this record, no Zeppelinesque voyages, no Santana like flourishes or vishnu accuasations [sic]. No congas, no Hammond organ stabs, no 30 minute songs, no drums that sounds like mosquitos buzzing in your ear. Just future punk. That’s the only way to describe it from my point of view.”"

Out on March 27th.

Tracklist:
    1. The Whip Hand
    2. Aegis
    3. Dyslexicon
    4. Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound
    5. The Malkin Jewel
    6. Lapochka
    7. In Absentia
    8. Imago
    9. Molochwalker
    10. Trinkets Pale Of Moon
    11. Velamalady
    12. Noctourniquet
    13. Zed And Two Naughts

Tour Dates
They're unfortunately just finishing a tour with only a few more dates left taking place in Hong Kong and Australia.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I loving love The Mars Volta, and personally Deloused in the Comatorium is my absolute favorite album followed by the recent Octahedron. I can't wait to hear what they put out next.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WASDF posted:

The Sixth Album

This album's not released yet. It's supposed to come out in 2012 (probably early) and you can check out a few songs from it on YouTube as they're being played live in a lot of their concerts. The most the band has said about this album is this quote from Cedric "“Sorry no spanish [sic] on this record, no Zeppelinesque voyages, no Santana like flourishes or vishnu accuasations [sic]. No congas, no Hammond organ stabs, no 30 minute songs, no drums that sounds like mosquitos buzzing in your ear. Just future punk. That’s the only way to describe it from my point of view.”

Well that's kind of disappointing :smith: After Octahedron sucked because it felt so accessible and like it was trying to appeal to the masses who hadn't heard TMV yet rather than being innovative like the rest of their releases, I was really hoping their next would be a return to form. Maybe it still will be, who knows. That quote doesn't inspire much confidence, though.

Besides Octahedron, I love every single thing they've done and I have since I was around 14 and got into them, right before Frances came out.

I still can't really decide what my favorite album of theirs is, though. I used to think for a while that Frances was it, but I love De-Loused just as much, and Amputechture's absolutely a contender as well.

Bedlam is loving great and I love it, but I can't say it's my favorite. Listening to it start to finish gives me a headache, honestly. That's because it's such a goddamn aural onslaught, but still. I can pick up De-Loused, Frances or Amputechture and listen to those anytime, whereas listening to Bedlam all the way through is a unique experience that I only partake in every once in a while.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Omar is definitely not the bassist, though he did play bass on Acrobatic Tenement back in the day!

ATD-i was, is, and will always be one of my favorite bands, and the first few TMV albums blew me away. They've been lackluster lately, and none of Omar's solo work has really caught my attention, even back in early high school when I was all about these guys. Bedlam was a step back in the right direction, but the last album they released was just flat out boring to me.

Here's to hoping.

Oh, and Frances the Mute still might be one of the greatest albums I've ever heard.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Just to reiterate, Omar is the guitarist rather than bassist, though he has played bass on several of his solo albums, De Facto (a dub project) and as mentioned in At the Drive-In.

The new material is sounding pretty fantastic. Cedric is on top form and the new drummer (Deatoni Parks) is fantastic.

Some of the highlights -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ablAtMf4i0 Trinkets Pale of Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m25z6QmGfc The Malkin Jewel

If you like the Mars Volta you'd be doing yourself a great disservice by not checking into Omar's vast side project catalogue. It's a bit overwhelming considering it's size and variety (last year we got 8 albums) but many of it has the same players as the Mars Volta records. A good starting point is Telesterion as it's a best of, but it still misses out on quite a few great tracks. I could go into detail about which albums to look out for spefically if anyone is interested (off the top of my head Xenophanes and Un Escorpion Perfumado), but as you can imagine there's a lot of material to cover.

Best of all though, you can check out full albums free streaming from his site - http://omardigital.rodriguezlopezproductions.com/

Bonus videoof Deatoni Parks ripping it up with the Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group before it was official he was in the Mars Volta - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH-VEtS0HzM&feature=relmfu

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Gah. I knew he wasn't the bassist, I think I just got it in my head that he was from ATD-I. I'll fix it.

Also, my favorite ORL albums are Un Escorpion Perfumado and Cryptomnesia. Cryptomnesia is basically a TMV album and it's really great if you haven't heard it.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 13, 2011

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
There's an Omar Rodriguez-Lopez thread, but it died right when Omar decided not to release any albums in 2011.

I'm really excited to hear any kind of teaser for LP6, since their live show a couple of months back in Atlanta was phenomenal. Having Cedric take his time on getting around to the album has done wonders, as he sounds better live since Frances The Mute.

The band has described the album was 'future punk', which I believe is quite accurate. I'm hoping for noodlin' and some kick-rear end jamming, but I'm worried that we're going to get another Octahedron. It feels like TMV is really trying to appeal to the mainstream audience, despite the fact that The Widow (and their older slow songs) did quite well on mainstream radio.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't think they're trying to appeal to mainstream audiences. I think Cedric misses their days in ATD-I probably.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
cedric is a scientologist

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Webbeh posted:

The band has described the album was 'future punk', which I believe is quite accurate. I'm hoping for noodlin' and some kick-rear end jamming, but I'm worried that we're going to get another Octahedron. It feels like TMV is really trying to appeal to the mainstream audience, despite the fact that The Widow (and their older slow songs) did quite well on mainstream radio.

I don't think it will sound anything like Octohedron. No one would describe Octohedron as "future punk", and I have a feeling this new album will sound like nothing they've ever done before, which is great.

Omar has released enough noodly Latin psychedlic fusion to keep our ears busy for the next decade I think it's good for TMV to move on to a new sound now

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

They definitely don't seem to be appealing to the mainstream.

More tracks:

Aegis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDC3qVA-XY&feature=related
Dyslexicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6o3xrIgzNA&feature=related
Molochwalk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwmXi_9yCeg&feature=related

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Earwicker posted:

I don't think it will sound anything like Octohedron. No one would describe Octohedron as "future punk", and I have a feeling this new album will sound like nothing they've ever done before, which is great.

Omar has released enough noodly Latin psychedlic fusion to keep our ears busy for the next decade I think it's good for TMV to move on to a new sound now

I should clarify: I meant "like Octahedron" in regards to being bland and unfocused. The only tracks that really stood out to me on Octahedron were the latter 4 tracks of the album.

And, Omar on backing vocals. About time.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I'm wondering whether he'll be singing on the album. He did the backing vocals for Octahedron live, but not on the album. He's released a few more albums since then with him singing now though, and with Cedric wanting a fresh sound, it could be that they use his voice.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I just wish they'd reunite and run a tour with ATD-i so I can sell everything I own and go to every show.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Webbeh posted:

There's an Omar Rodriguez-Lopez thread, but it died right when Omar decided not to release any albums in 2011.

I know of this thread, but I hope no one cares if I ask this in here. I loved Cryptomnesia, but I was always reluctant to go for any of his other stuff because instrumentals don't usually interest me. Which of Omar's albums have vocals in them, and how many of the songs have vocals?

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Grab Xenophanes for more Omar goodness, all the tracks have spanish vocals except for two filler tracks.

Have a music video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUIg-WMcDIo

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I know of this thread, but I hope no one cares if I ask this in here. I loved Cryptomnesia, but I was always reluctant to go for any of his other stuff because instrumentals don't usually interest me. Which of Omar's albums have vocals in them, and how many of the songs have vocals?

Rapid Fire Toolbooth has 2-3 songs with vocals with Cedric. Same with Calibration. Xenophanes, Solar Gambling, Los Suenos, and one more or so have Ximena on vocals.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

The majority of his albums are either instrumental or have Spanish vocals. Here's what I recommend

Instrumental: Sepulcros De Miel (was once free, I don't know how SA feels about downloading something that was ONCE free), and another "free" album called Omar Rodriguez & John Frusciante

English/Giberish + Noodling: Se Dice Bisonte Buffalo (actually one of my favorites), Calibration

Spanish + Noodling: Escorpion Perfumado, Xenophanes, Solar Gambling.

and I'd also recommend Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fungus for some high-octane ear gently caress and sweet jams

WASDF fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 15, 2011

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yipes, it's only thinking about it that it's already been 2 years since Octahedron. From what I've heard of their live performances this album this will be an enjoyable one, even if they've yet to return to the glory of Amputechture (tell me you don't love that bongo(?) solo in Day of the Baphomets, I dare you).

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

WASDF posted:

The majority of his albums are either instrumental or have Spanish vocals. Here's what I recommend

and I'd also recommend Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fungus for some high-octane ear gently caress and sweet jams

Absence and Old Money are both amazing solo albums that are more or less the "TMV sound" without Cedric's vocals. The rest have a bit more experimentation and exploration, sans Se Dice and Calibration.

And yes, Tesseraction, the bongo surprise in the breakdown of Day of the Baphomets is incredible, especially when you consider the song takes lyrics from an old Deloused-era b-side.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think Amputechture's greatest moment is Day of the Baphomets right when the congas start and on. I find a lot of Amputechture unfocused and the parts where they jump into an entirely different thing in a song aren't as effective as they are in say Frances the Mute.

Gimme one page gimme one page...

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.
it's so strange when people say amputechture was unfocused and then refer to frances the mute being moreso. frances the mute bores the hell out of me, which puts it at the bottom of my list. the new album sounds like a mix of octahedron and amputechture which is cool, amputechture is my favorite and octahedron was solid.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think Amputechture is boring in a lot of places. A lot of the songs go on for way too long and like I said, I think they're unfocused. Octahedron would be pretty boring if it weren't just 50 minutes as I find that album extremely simple, which is fine.

I think Bedlam in Goliath and Frances are TMVs most exciting. Frances get's a little boring near the last two Cassandra Gemini songs)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think Day of the Baphomets from Amputechture is still one of the best songs TMV has ever done, and Meccamputechture is pretty good as well, but yeah I'd agree as an album it's not very musically cohesive compared to others, and the other tracks are good in parts but have a lot of weak spots.

Bedlam is their most consistantly "on" album IMO but these days if I am in the mood for that sort of music I will more likely listen to Omar's Old Money or one of his other albums. Cedric kind of grates on me after a while.

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.

WASDF posted:

I think Amputechture is boring in a lot of places. A lot of the songs go on for way too long and like I said, I think they're unfocused. Octahedron would be pretty boring if it weren't just 50 minutes as I find that album extremely simple, which is fine.

I think Bedlam in Goliath and Frances are TMVs most exciting. Frances get's a little boring near the last two Cassandra Gemini songs)

Not to mention "The Widow" is by and far the worst song ever written by Omar and played by the band.

I just felt like Amputechture was pretty much the pinnacle of their growth. The band was the biggest it has ever been and there were so many different things going on that made it unique. The horn section was phenomenal. "Asilos Magdalena" is probably their best slow song, besides "Vicarious Atonement" and it didn't scream "THIS IS THE ALBUMS SINGLE" like "The Widow" or "Vermicide". Also, someone mentioned it not feeling "musically cohesive", but I thought that was what they were trying to do with that album? I remember them saying they viewed the songs as seperate from eachother, because they all told a different story,... or something. Could be wrong.

"Cassandra Gemini" only holds my interest through a couple of the movements, although I really like "Miranda.." and "Cignus..". I'm still bitter they cut "L'via.." so much for the video, too. I remember that really pissing off quite a few people. Either way though, Frances had a couple of really good moments but everything else about it seemed way too... bad, I guess. To each their own.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

warzero. posted:

Not to mention "The Widow" is by and far the worst song ever written by Omar and played by the band.

I just felt like Amputechture was pretty much the pinnacle of their growth. The band was the biggest it has ever been and there were so many different things going on that made it unique. The horn section was phenomenal. "Asilos Magdalena" is probably their best slow song, besides "Vicarious Atonement" and it didn't scream "THIS IS THE ALBUMS SINGLE" like "The Widow" or "Vermicide". Also, someone mentioned it not feeling "musically cohesive", but I thought that was what they were trying to do with that album? I remember them saying they viewed the songs as seperate from eachother, because they all told a different story,... or something. Could be wrong.

"Cassandra Gemini" only holds my interest through a couple of the movements, although I really like "Miranda.." and "Cignus..". I'm still bitter they cut "L'via.." so much for the video, too. I remember that really pissing off quite a few people. Either way though, Frances had a couple of really good moments but everything else about it seemed way too... bad, I guess. To each their own.

I don't see anything wrong with The Widow, I really love that song.

I really don't agree with you on any of what you're saying, but just because their intent was to distinguish each song doesn't mean that was a good decision. There's no flow in Amputechture even in the songs; it jumps around far too much to even be interesting.

FoppSomms
Oct 9, 2007
I saw them live (for the fourth time) in Melbourne last Sunday, and it was pretty epic. All the new stuff sounds fantastic, Deantoni Parks is amazing, and the three 'classic' songs they played - Inertiatic ESP, The Widow, and Goliath - were all the best versions I've ever heard live.

And they all look like they're having a ton of fun on stage, especially Juan and D. I miss Ikey though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They only played three old songs? :raise:

I mean, I'm sure their sets can be only a few songs long if they play a few of their longer tracks. But those three combined are <20 minutes long.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Must've been new album + old songs

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I gotta admit, I don't get this band at all. All my friends are on their dick. To me, it's all annoying as poo poo.I like schizophrenic, abrasive and avant-garde music, but this is just so wanky and...irritating. The vocals are probably the worst part for me.

That said, I do admire the instrumental aspect of a lot of their songs, minus the really drawn out ambient/noise parts. Is there a special MV release that I might like more, or would I do better to look up some of the sideprojects?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

the Bunt posted:

I gotta admit, I don't get this band at all. All my friends are on their dick. To me, it's all annoying as poo poo.I like schizophrenic, abrasive and avant-garde music, but this is just so wanky and...irritating. The vocals are probably the worst part for me.

That said, I do admire the instrumental aspect of a lot of their songs, minus the really drawn out ambient/noise parts. Is there a special MV release that I might like more, or would I do better to look up some of the sideprojects?
You'll definitely be interested in the side projects (Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's albums, to be honest) if you're looking to avoid the vocals. However, most of the older albums carry some ambient/noise, so you'd want to go to the most recent of Omar's albums to gauge that.

http://omardigital.rodriguezlopezproductions.com/album/telesterion

This should be a good starting point for Omar's albums.

e: How did I miss until just now that a Cryptomnesia song is on Telesterion? God I love that side-project, I really wish we'd get the other album and live touring that was teased last year.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

They kinda lost me with last year's onslaught of Omar albums (I think I just got burned out trying to keep up with them) but it's been a while since I really dug into these guys and "future punk" sounds like a pretty interesting concept, so I'm kind of excited for this. Amputechture and Octahedron didn't really stick with me as much as Deloused, Francis, and Bedlam, so hopefully I dig this when it comes out.

the Bunt posted:

Have you tried Deloused? That one seems a lot more focused than the others to me, and I think it has something to do with them having a producer other than Omar (Rick Rubin, maybe? I don't remember) who kept them in check a bit more. I didn't really get into TMV until I went back and checked that out after a friend introduced me with Frances the Mute. If vocals are what ruins it for you, though, then I have no idea.

FakeEdit: or what Webbeh said, yeah

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I'm just starting to get into these guys. My friend gave me De-Loused and I love the poo poo out of it, mostly through Cedric's singing. I got Amputecture or whatever and it doesn't seem to be sticking with me as well, I don't like the production as much and I don't feel like Cedric gets as much of a chance to shine, he's by far my favorite part of the band. Is there another good album for Cedric singing?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I'm just starting to get into these guys. My friend gave me De-Loused and I love the poo poo out of it, mostly through Cedric's singing. I got Amputecture or whatever and it doesn't seem to be sticking with me as well, I don't like the production as much and I don't feel like Cedric gets as much of a chance to shine, he's by far my favorite part of the band. Is there another good album for Cedric singing?

Maybe you should check out At The Drive-In, Cedric and Omar's primary pre-Mars Volta band.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
De-Loused in the Comotorium is one of the best albums I've ever heard, but I really can't get into most of what The Mars Volta put out.

I still try though!

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 16, 2011

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Frances the Mute has some excellent amazing Cedric vocal work. You would definitely want to check out the b-side to the album (the track "Frances the Mute") after finishing the album too.

Octahedron is certainly Cedric's album, since the vocals are about the most interesting thing about the album.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

-Atom- posted:

De-Loused in the Comotorium is one of the best albums I've ever heard, but I really can't get into most of what The Mars Volta put out.

I still try though!

Absolute agreement.

If you have a substance of choice, take such substance and realize the concept of the album. Put some headphones on and fall into the blackness. It's a man fighting against the demons of his drug overdose while in a coma.

"Now I'm Lost"

Just the first words conjure up such meaning in context. It's an album where you have to listen in full the first time with the meaning in your mind, then listen again. It's beautiful. I hate sounding like a weird hippy, but close your eyes and listen to this album and enjoy the visuals.

I'm paraphrasing the actual meaning of the concept, but I feel I've got the gist of it. It's one of the best albums I've ever come across.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bunky posted:

"Now I'm Lost"

Just the first words conjure up such meaning in context.

The first words of the album are actually "Clipside of the pink eye fight, I'm not the percent you think survives, I need sanctuary in the pages of this book" :eng101:

Though that interpretation makes sense.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

Maybe you should check out At The Drive-In, Cedric and Omar's primary pre-Mars Volta band.
Yeah I have Relationship of Command and like it a lot, but I prefer Cedric's singing over his hardcore yelling. There's just so many great vocal melodies on De-Loused that I love to sing along to whenever I'm driving/don't care about looking like an idiot.

Webbeh posted:

Frances the Mute has some excellent amazing Cedric vocal work. You would definitely want to check out the b-side to the album (the track "Frances the Mute") after finishing the album too.

Octahedron is certainly Cedric's album, since the vocals are about the most interesting thing about the album.
I like Miranda a lot already so I guess that cements Frances as the next album I check out, thanks.

EDIT: I feel like sharing this. I randomly found this girl on myspace and she has some pretty killer piano/vocal covers of Tetragrammaton and Miranda. Check her piano run of Tetra's opening riff, pretty awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/conniehan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The first words of the album are actually "Clipside of the pink eye fight, I'm not the percent you think survives, I need sanctuary in the pages of this book" :eng101:

Though that interpretation makes sense.

Ah poo poo, I forgot about the vocals in the intro track. Oh well!

• Locked thread