Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

NihilCredo posted:

Dudeman:

Can you say what's your job at EM (so we can pester the poo poo out of you like we do to HBC)?

Like HBC, I started out at EM as a junior level designer.

Unfortunately, by the time I got here, pretty much every environment had already been assigned a LD, so I was mostly doing a lot of trench work, helping out where I could.

Thing is, I knew the side-quest team was short-staffed, so I lobbied hard to join their skeleton crew (which at the time consisted of 1 lead, another level designer, and a contract writer).

I went bananas on a design gym (basically a prototype level), came up with this big convoluted conspiracy plot for a potential SQ, wrote up a design doc, and pitched it to the senior and lead level designer. I guess they liked what they saw, because a week later, I was on the SQ team, and knee-deep in-- well, everything.

It was a wicked (albeit harrowing, at first) experience, and I got to work with some amazingly talented people, on practically every facet of production. I can honestly say the last couple of years have flown by.

Anyway, long story short, I guess they liked the cut of my jib, because I've recently shed the vestments of my level design pupa, and become a hoity-toity narrative game designer.

Without stealing the spotlight from HBC, because he's doing a great job covering everything else, I can try and answer any questions regarding the story-telling side of the things, or more specifically side-quests in general.

Although it is getting late, so you probably won't hear from me again until tomorrow morning!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

:hfive:

EDIT: Go get the Tag dudeman! What's wrong with you! :P

I want to! But I am ashamed to admit I don't know how :ohdear:

dudeman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A level designer and a narrative designer. In this thread. Being cool as poo poo and answering every question.

This loving game

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Woozy posted:

I have no idea what the thread consensus on it is, but to me the 3rd person element is more important than just a gameplay tweak. One of the big apparent differences between HR and DX1 is that the story is much more character-driven and the protagonist is not quite the auto-insertion avatar that Denton is (unless you're JJB :v:). It's important, I think, that you actually see Jensen and are reminded of his whole twisted Frakenstein robo-arms as often as possible to sort of keep the personal drama in focus, especially considering that aesthetics are considered in the game universe to be one of the major differences between mechs and nano-augs.

It was a good move, and I'm glad they did it. TBH I kind of hate first-person anyway.

Don't forget the plot significance of Adam's awesome dance moves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-d4mLYxrxk

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Energy that is like ammo and doesn't replenish or energy that does? When I read about takedowns the first thing I thought was melee attacks in Vanquish, is it like that?

You have a set amount of energy to use in the form of little battery shaped bars, and when you use up the last bar, it will slowly refill just that last one unless you eat a consumable to refill the rest of it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

isk posted:

A level designer and a narrative designer. In this thread. Being cool as poo poo and answering every question.

This loving game

Why not they got every other member of staff interviewing non stop.

Also Adam's dancing... Clearly augmented.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
This is amazing. 10 years ago with DX1 and being on these forums, I would have never imagined that in a decade a new game would be coming out, and people who put substantial work into it would be posting here so graciously.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Longbaugh01 posted:

This is amazing. 10 years ago with DX1 and being on these forums, I would have never imagined that in a decade a new game would be coming out, and people who put substantial work into it would be posting here so graciously.

You know Deus Ex 2 came out in between right.

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica

randombattle posted:

What? I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

randombattle posted:

Funny thing about that is that there are people I have talked to that think HR is Deus Ex 2. They don't even know that Invisible Wars is a thing that exists.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CJacobs posted:

Funny thing about that is that there are people I have talked to that think HR is Deus Ex 2. They don't even know that Invisible Wars is a thing that exists.

These people are to be envied.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know that IW exists but that is about it. I completely skipped it and know nothing about it. I am told that I should keep it that way.

By the way, that OP is insane. I don't think I have ever seen its like on SA. Honestly it is completely overwhelming and I wouldn't even know where to start on the links there, which is why I asked such a simple question in here.

oh, minor DE1 question: for some reason time to save games is REALLY slow for me, like 20 seconds. I'm using a SSD for hell's sake. Is there anything that can be done about that? Obviously it's a game that requires frequent saving.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 16, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I really appreciate you stepping in Happy Blue Cow. The level design is something I really enjoyed from Deus Ex 3's leak/demo so far. You need to give a pat on the back to whoever did the level design on the police station and tell them a random person on the internet gave them an A+.

As I tell all my friends, I think you guys may very well have made a game that is superior to Deus Ex 1, and this is coming from a guy who makes sure to replay DX1 once a year.

quote:

Without stealing the spotlight from HBC, because he's doing a great job covering everything else, I can try and answer any questions regarding the story-telling side of the things, or more specifically side-quests in general.

Oh awesome. I gotta say the most prominent sidequests in the leak are really good so far. If that type of quality is maintained through the entire game it's going to be a pretty incredible experience. Whoever did the Meagan investigation needs a "You're a winner" sticker. Not to mention the one who did the Nu-poz investigation, my only complaint for that one is you can't talk the punks out of leaving the blackmailer alone.

1) How hard of a challenge is it to put in these optional sidequests that really tie the story together, and give players incentive to actually do them?, while remaining optional I've played the leak through about 5 times now and just my last run I actually talked to Zeke Sanders this time even though I've let him off the hook a majority of the time. I've been kicking myself in the head because of it.

I mean, I'm sure if you don't investigate Meagan's death for her mother, you'll find out more incidental evidence through the main storyline that her death is not so clean-cut and the evidence is suppressed. But you're going to lose out on oodles of character and plot development by refusing to do this questline.

Does it bother you when you do all these sidequests a lot of people are just going to ignore them, even though their payoff is worth it?

2) This is kind of a big spoiler question for dudeman and HPC. If you can't answer it now, I'd really like a PM or to go back on it after the game is released.

This is a genuine question, but also kind of a criticism. Who's idea was it to "reveal" who Patient X is so early in the game? It feels a little disjointed because you get an idea of what's going on in the very first room of the game. Then you go to the LIMB clinic and if you explore around it more or less is spelled out for you what's going on. Why not keep it more of a secret until later down the road? Don't get me wrong though, it's deeply appreciated you're rewarding players like me who are investigative and paying attention.

I would think after reading the books at the Limb Clinic, if Adam were real person he'd march up to Sarif's office, throw the book on the table, and be all: "David, what the gently caress is this I'm reading?" It just feels weird from a story and narrative perspective that you the player, read something, but Adam is not.

3) Another quick question: On an average day how much do you developers say "I didn't ask for this", "I don't even know who's side I'm on", "What a shame", and other choice quotes from the Deus Ex series?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 16, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Doublepost.

Two things: 1. Get someone high up to send a memo to all the developers to stop apologizing for good gameplay decisions like regenerating health and third person cover. Especially since these features are so well-implemented in the game itself.

2. I think we can all agree to pretend Deus Ex 2 never happened or was non-canon.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 16, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Third person cover is okay, it works well. Regenerating health is okay if it's not instant. In the confines of the game it was done well.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

dudeman posted:

I want to! But I am ashamed to admit I don't know how :ohdear:

Enjoy El Duderino!

Question for you though: Are there any hidden side quests (or side story in this case) that can build up over the course of the game? My example would be finding every security hole that Pritchard is responsible for, Pritchard gets pissed, tries to attack Adam, and must be taken out (non-lethal or lethal of course).

Pritchard is a good character, but I really want to kill him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Doublepost.

Two things: 1. Get someone high up to send a memo to all the developers to stop apologizing for good gameplay decisions like regenerating health and third person cover. Especially since these features are so well-implemented in the game itself.

2. I think we can all agree to pretend Deus Ex 2 never happened or was non-canon.

Deus Ex 2 wasn't bad though? Was more consolized. And not as good as the original but I just got done replaying the game and I actually enjoyed it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't think Invisible Wars was TERRIBLY HORRIBLY BAD but I didn't like it as much as the first (or HR in fact), to be honest. Am I horrible and hated forever now?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Someone was complaining about regenerating health? Why? All games of this type should have this mechanic. The only arguement against it is that people think it makes things too easy if you can hide and regain your health, but let's face it, the other way is just taking a few more hits, dying, and reloading the level or current save point with full health anyway. Regenerating health is a way more fluid option to keep the fun going over dying then reloading constantly. The alternative would be that lame poo poo from Prey. Ugh. What a wast of time dying in that game was.

I'm liking how this game, Skyrim, and ME3 are all spread out by a few month to give me a chance to play through them each a few times. :) Hopefully this game is going to be as good as everyone says.

Has anyone asked these dudes how they feel about the leak yet? If not, I'd like to hear. It really seems like the leak has had a positive effect for this game. I think most people were expecting another Fallout 3 (good yet not quite like the games your remember). Personally, without the leak I know I would not have been a first week buyer, but everyone seems to love the game so far. I would have waited a few months for real post-hype reviews to come out.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I didn't think Invisible Wars was TERRIBLY HORRIBLY BAD but I didn't like it as much as the first (or HR in fact), to be honest. Am I horrible and hated forever now?

Personally I think you are in error for making a "HEY GUYS I HAVE AN OPINION ok cool that's it *no other content*" post and probably should not do that again!

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Momomo posted:

Don't forget the plot significance of Adam's awesome dance moves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-d4mLYxrxk

The shear volume of spoof videos already out based on the leak, and the fact that some of them are even funny, is proof that this game is proper DX sequel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SymfonyMan posted:

Someone was complaining about regenerating health? Why? All games of this type should have this mechanic. The only arguement against it is that people think it makes things too easy if you can hide and regain your health but let's face it, the other way is just taking a few more hits, dying, and reloading the level or save with full health anyway. Regenerating health is a way more fluid option to keep the fun going over dying then reloading constantly. The alternative would be that lame poo poo from Prey. Ugh. What a wast of time dying in that game was.

Plus, it's not enabled unless you enable it. So there is literally no argument against it being in HR.

edit: I'm wrong, it's maxed at the start on every difficulty, not just easy

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 16, 2011

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Plus, it's not enabled unless you enable it. So there is literally no argument against it being in HR.

Even cooler. The only exposure I've had to this game so far has been early art work, a few posts here reviewing the leak, and that article that was posted about the PC version actually being made as a PC version and not a direct console port. That article alone almost sold me on the game after trudging through the last 2 years of shitastic ports from almost every company in existance that makes console/pc games. So yeah, I'm looking forward to playing this now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I don't know where you got this idea, but it isn't true. The regenerating health augmentation is maxed as soon as you start the real game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Momomo posted:

I don't know where you got this idea, but it isn't true. The regenerating health augmentation is maxed as soon as you start the real game.

Wait, it is? I thought someone said way back that was just for the leak or something.

Well, poo poo. Shows what I know.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Woozy posted:

The shear volume of spoof videos already out based on the leak, and the fact that some of them are even funny, is proof that this game is proper DX sequel.

Seriously. Not to mention we've only got the hilarity from Detriot. No doubt there is going to be a lot more spoof videos.

Like this for instance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oj96OVxjJk&feature=related

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So...why is it apparently okay for people to be discussing playing a leak? Or am I misunderstanding something?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samurai Sanders posted:

So...why is it apparently okay for people to be discussing playing a leak? Or am I misunderstanding something?

You apparently missed the big rule in the OP (at least I'm pretty sure it's still there) that says it is OK to discuss the leak as long as you use spoiler tags when talking about the plot and don't do the obvious against-the-rules :filez: stuff like asking where to get it or posting links to it. Eidos seemed pretty satisfied and played the leak off as 'oh well, it happened, may as well ask how people like it', because they're cool like that.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Eidos and Square-Enix were exceedingly gracious and took the leak in stride, letting people talk about it on their own forums. Their self-confidence was justified, as the leak has been generally very, very well-received and may have improved people's perception and desire for the game.

We've allowed people to talk about the leak here as well. It is probably the only allowed exception to the piracy rules, because the community assumption is that if you enjoyed the leak, you will buy the full game.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Additionally, it's not like it'd stop people from talking about the leak here, they'd just telephone game about it and it's not worth it at this point.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The moment I was done with the leak, I pre-ordered the game. It's probably similar for a lot of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7AG7zpCnCg&feature=related

I'll never stop dancing.....

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Wait, it is? I thought someone said way back that was just for the leak or something.

Well, poo poo. Shows what I know.

It might be, but I kind of doubt it. Even things like the infolink have their own augmentation menus, but they start out maxed.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I hope there is a way for JC Tenton to make an appearance, he was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tRYj-Y6qI

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zorak posted:

Additionally, it's not like it'd stop people from talking about the leak here, they'd just telephone game about it and it's not worth it at this point.

Especially since most of the comments about it are praise, what good would stifling that sort of feedback accomplish anyways?

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
So I've played a little of it and I wanna know (perhaps this was already covered) but will toggle clickable cover be available instead of this god forsaken hold mouse button (for the final release). To my knowledge it's not toggled and you can't set it to be.

Secondly, someone was telling me bestbuy had some sniper rifle as a preorder bonus. Is steam's only preorder bonus the -10%?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Booyah posted:

So I've played a little of it and I wanna know (perhaps this was already covered) but will toggle clickable cover be available instead of this god forsaken hold mouse button (for the final release). To my knowledge it's not toggled and you can't set it to be.

Secondly, someone was telling me bestbuy had some sniper rifle as a preorder bonus. Is steam's only preorder bonus the -10%?

Cover has a toggle option, nerd. You can have it be sticky or hold.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Cover has a toggle option, nerd. You can have it be sticky or hold.

Yep, I'm a retard. I literally booted it up and figured "oh wow I bet its under the gameplay options" there it was.

Thanks though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Booyah posted:

It's toggleable as is, and info on the preorder bonuses is in the OP. Best Buy gets a silenced sniper rifle and some other stuff. There's already another sniper rifle in the game.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wikipedia Brown posted:

You do donuts on a mod's lawn and then peel out and flip him the bird.
I tried but Louisgod wouldn't tell me where he lived. Then he moved farther away. :(

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica

Booyah posted:

Yeah. It's disappointing with how well the game has turned out that the preorder situation is so painful for those of us in North America, especially since Europe and Autralia get all the bonus content with their collector's editions. I'm pretty sure most of the audience for this game is going to be getting it on PC and therefore steam or another digital distributor, and is Gamestop and such even really a factor for retail releases anymore? It just punishes the consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Since we have two devs, I would like to humbly request you talk to your peers about releasing some of this dlc to the public after release, or include it in a GOTY edition.

Some will say "it's just dlc weapons!!!11" but there's that Tong's Mission quest too. I hate exclusive dlc that can never be obtained again.

• Locked thread