Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

lucasw99 posted:

My pet hate is how nearly everyone incorrectly quotes Darth Vader revealing himself to be the father of Luke.

The hate is swelling in you now.

Gooood... I can FEEL your anger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
That hole in the back of the TIEs are for launching purposes. The two bright dots are engines.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The worst one is Dash Rendars Outrider. it has all the engines on one side. In space that won't really matter I guess, but in atmosphere it will make the craft so inherently unstable...ugh.

This is gonna blow your mind :v:

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

omgLerkHat! posted:

I remember that update, but the one that had a diagram with a TIE fighter thrown in for scale was more appropriate for this thread.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

lucasw99 posted:

My pet hate is how nearly everyone incorrectly quotes Darth Vader revealing himself to be the father of Luke.

And in Star Trek they never said "Beam me up Scotty"! What's the freaking deal?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RagnarokAngel posted:

And in Star Trek they never said "Beam me up Scotty"! What's the freaking deal?

My god, I've wasted my life.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

omgLerkHat! posted:

I understand what you are going for here, but still the engine is near the center of mass of the plane. Look at the tail, it's offset as well to couteract the differences of lift. Also, if you look at it you'll see the one side wing (cockpit side) is longer than the other, so the plane is still balanced around the thrust vector.

Look at this though:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/1/1c/Outrider.jpg

The engine is on the left third of the ship, I guess it could be extremely light on the cockpit side, but there's so much mass on the right two thirds of the ship. In space this would be a non-issue I guess, but in Shadows of the Empire the Outrider flies in Atmosphere a lot. But I guess when you are trying to make a non-Han-Solo character you have to make a non-Millennium-Falcon ship that can't quite look just like it but needs to be slightly different. The ship design is just so uninspired.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I understand what you are going for here, but still the engine is near the center of mass of the plane. Look at the tail, it's offset as well to couteract the differences of lift. Also, if you look at it you'll see the one side wing (cockpit side) is longer than the other, so the plane is still balanced around the thrust vector.

Look at this though:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/1/1c/Outrider.jpg

The engine is on the left third of the ship, I guess it could be extremely light on the cockpit side, but there's so much mass on the right two thirds of the ship. In space this would be a non-issue I guess, but in Shadows of the Empire the Outrider flies in Atmosphere a lot. But I guess when you are trying to make a non-Han-Solo character you have to make a non-Millennium-Falcon ship that can't quite look just like it but needs to be slightly different. The ship design is just so uninspired.

The Falcon shouldn't be great in atmosphere either - it's not as offset as the Outrider, but at decent speeds it should still be pulling to one side.

I like in the X-Wing books that TIEs not being aerodynamic does actually come up a couple of times. Yet another advantage for the X-Wing that really does make it look like the Empire WANTED to lose fighter engagements.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

lucasw99 posted:

Yeah, this is pretty common in movies for some reason. Like how Bogart never says, "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca, or the previously mentioned Star Trek quote. Or "We don't need no stinkin' badges!" from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well at least for Empire the Luke part was just tacked on to add context to the line, since it's otherwise accurate, just swapped "No," for "Luke"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hamlet isn't holding Yorrick's skull during the "To be or not to be" soliloquy. He says "Alas, poor Yorrick. I knew him, Horatio." Both those parts are at complete opposite ends of the play.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this is pretty common in movies for some reason. Like how Bogart never says, "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca, or the previously mentioned Star Trek quote. Or "We don't need no stinkin' badges!" from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Sherlock Holmes also never said, "Elementery my dear Watson." Despite there being a metric shitton of stories with him being :smug: explaining something obvious (depending on the story)

In other news. I recent found a copy of Star Wars at an antique store. Its the book, STAR WARS from the adventures of Luke Skywalker by George Lucas. Printed in 1977. Looks like its a second edition. I would put this in the book thread but its pretty awesome actually. Theres a photo insert section with photos from the movie. There is a stormtroopers riding a Dewback in the pictures at it looks awesome, like a proper critter, they must have moved like poo poo to be left out of the movie...
:tinfoil: Could George really have intended everything all along?
Well I plan to read through this and maybe see, from the prologue it seems like P-daddy was corrupted by "the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office" Is this the Moff council? Who knows!

So, is this a sweet find or old hat? Also what Cannon is this? Because it might be that early stuff we don't talk about anymore but its also written by Lucas himself according to the jacket and is thus his take on ANH. That's got to make it weigh a lot in the canon department right?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 17, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I think I have the first printing of that!

At least, mine has the same title/author and a copyright date of 1976.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

I think I have the first printing of that!

At least, mine has the same title/author and a copyright date of 1976.

Yeah it says 1977, First print 1976. So Mines a second printing. It was a library book in Beaverton City OR for who knows how many years.
:3: I wonder how many nerdy kids read through this...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bombadilillo posted:

In other news. I recent found a copy of Star Wars at an antique store. Its the book, STAR WARS from the adventures of Luke Skywalker by George Lucas. Printed in 1977. Looks like its a second edition. I would put this in the book thread but its pretty awesome actually. Theres a photo insert section with photos from the movie. There is a stormtroopers riding a Dewback in the pictures at it looks awesome, like a proper critter, they must have moved like poo poo to be left out of the movie...
:tinfoil: Could George really have intended everything all along?
Well I plan to read through this and maybe see, from the prologue it seems like P-daddy was corrupted by "the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office" Is this the Moff council? Who knows!

So, is this a sweet find or old hat? Also what Cannon is this? Because it might be that early stuff we don't talk about anymore but its also written by Lucas himself according to the jacket and is thus his take on ANH. That's got to make it weigh a lot in the canon department right?

It's the old stuff we don't talk about anymore. The only person allowed to overwrite Lucas is Lucas.

The Emperor, as he was designed when the first movie was filmed, was described as a corrupt Nixon-esque leader, who wasn't even the first Emperor of the Empire. His advisers (the Moffs) and members of the Sith had complete control over him, and Vader was one of many Sith. Since none of this was mentioned out loud in the movie, it was able to be retconned for the following movies once they fleshed out the story a bit.

I'd be interested to see those shots of the Dewback, if you have the ability and desire to scan them.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

thrawn527 posted:

It's the old stuff we don't talk about anymore. The only person allowed to overwrite Lucas is Lucas.

The Emperor, as he was designed when the first movie was filmed, was described as a corrupt Nixon-esque leader, who wasn't even the first Emperor of the Empire. His advisers (the Moffs) and members of the Sith had complete control over him, and Vader was one of many Sith. Since none of this was mentioned out loud in the movie, it was able to be retconned for the following movies once they fleshed out the story a bit.

I'd be interested to see those shots of the Dewback, if you have the ability and desire to scan them.

If it's anything like my copy, it looks roughly like this:

Incidentally, I just bought a vintage Dewback from Goodwill for fifty cents, like two weeks ago.

And the novelization (ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster) is well worth the read, if only to see how the story has evolved over time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

NGL posted:

If it's anything like my copy, it looks roughly like this:

Incidentally, I just bought a vintage Dewback from Goodwill for fifty cents, like two weeks ago.

And the novelization (ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster) is well worth the read, if only to see how the story has evolved over time.

That's awesome, thanks.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^^^^^^That's the one!

It has pictures of droids and under it says "See-Threepio*C-3PO" and "Artoo-Detoo*R2-D2" I always thought those were stupid and wondered what author started that trend...It was George.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Cool, I will read it so see just how full of poo poo Gerorge is then with the whole series all laid out from the word go.

The Moff's seem to be a big deal in ANH and then are all but gone for ESB and ROTJ only to come back strong in the EU just to have powerful villians around.

Makes sense why Tarkin is the badguy if he is the de facto puppet master behind the whole Empire in general. Makes ANH much more epicand him ordering Vader around make sense.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

The Emperor, as he was designed when the first movie was filmed, was described as a corrupt Nixon-esque leader, who wasn't even the first Emperor of the Empire.
Going back even farther, the original drafts had him as a genuinely good guy who was being kept completely isolated and unaware of what was going on by Vader and the military.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bombadilillo posted:

Cool, I will read it so see just how full of poo poo Gerorge is then with the whole series all laid out from the word go.

The Moff's seem to be a big deal in ANH and then are all but gone for ESB and ROTJ only to come back strong in the EU just to have powerful villians around.

Makes sense why Tarkin is the badguy if he is the de facto puppet master behind the whole Empire in general. Makes ANH much more epicand him ordering Vader around make sense.

I've brought it up so many times in this thread I think people might start thinking I'm the author (I'm not) or make money off purchases (I don't), but if you want to read about how full of poo poo George is "with the whole series all laid out from the word go", you should read The Secret History of Star Wars. It's amazing. The guy picked through all the versions of the scripts, interviews, novelizations, notes, etc. to create a true look at what Star Wars was about at any given time in it's evolution. It's incredible, and if you have enough interest in Star Wars to be posting in an online forum about it, I'd say you'd love it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 17, 2011

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slantedfloors posted:

Going back even farther, the original drafts had him as a good guy who was being kept completely isolated and unaware of what was going on by Vader and the military.

Right, I just meant at the time that book was written/first movie was filmed.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I've brought it up so many times in this thread I think people might start thinking I'm the author (I'm not) or make money off purchases (I don't), but if you want to read about how full of poo poo George is "with the whole series all laid out from the word go", you should read The Secret History of Star Wars. It's amazing. The guy picked through all the versions of the scripts, interviews, novelizations, notes, etc. to create a true look at what Star Wars was about at any given time in it's evolution. It's incredible, and if you have enough interest in Star Wars to be posting in an online forum about it, I'd say you'd love it.
I did see you bring that up before, Ima get it. Looks like fun!

Is it all text? or does it have weird concept art alternate outfits..stuff like that?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 17, 2011

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bombadilillo posted:

I did see you bring that up before, Ima get it. Looks like fun!

Is it all text? or does it have weird concept art alternate outfits..stuff like that?

No, it's all text. Still great, though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

No, it's all text. Still great, though.

Picking it up.

Question. Just how many "Grand Moffs" are there? And Grand Admirals for that matter. It sounded from the book thread that "Glove of Vader" had thousands of them running around a conference... Is it established in non retarded canon?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

Picking it up.

Question. Just how many "Grand Moffs" are there? And Grand Admirals for that matter. It sounded from the book thread that "Glove of Vader" had thousands of them running around a conference... Is it established in non retarded canon?

Non-retarded canon on this is hard to find, and the retarded poo poo is mingled through and through the Wookieepedia entry on the matter, but seems like there weren't more than a handful of Grand Moffs. The structure seemed to be (ignoring retarded bullshit): Governors ruled a single planet, Moffs ruled an entire sector over Governors, Grand Moffs ruled huge swaths of the galaxy.

There were 12 known Grand Admirals, with Thrawn having received the 13th title in secret. The other Grand Admirals all have retarded canon associated with them, including the one that was on Death Star II doing the actual Battle Meditation for the Imperial Navy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

arioch posted:

Non-retarded canon on this is hard to find, and the retarded poo poo is mingled through and through the Wookieepedia entry on the matter, but seems like there weren't more than a handful of Grand Moffs. The structure seemed to be (ignoring retarded bullshit): Governors ruled a single planet, Moffs ruled an entire sector over Governors, Grand Moffs ruled huge swaths of the galaxy.

There were 12 known Grand Admirals, with Thrawn having received the 13th title in secret. The other Grand Admirals all have retarded canon associated with them, including the one that was on Death Star II doing the actual Battle Meditation for the Imperial Navy.

I thought the emperor was subconciously Battle Meditating (tm) and when he died all the troops balls fell off so they retreated.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 17, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I got this book recently, it's fascinating stuff, and written in a very neutral manner towards George. It gives him credit where credit is due but isn't afraid to point out where he messed up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

I thought the emperor was subconciously Battle Meditating (tm) and when he died all the troops balls fell off so they retreated.

Right, but some retard decided the Emperor promoted a Dark Jedi Lackey(tm) to Grand Admiral and had him doing all the Battle Meditation for him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Still not as stupid as IG-88 controlling the Death Star.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Still not as stupid as IG-88 controlling the Death Star.

I don't know, I'd say that's about as stupid.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
What about combine the stupidity of both ideas?

Here's Grand Moff 4-8C

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/4-8C

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Was there a name for that law that says there's always something more retarded in the EU?

Should be Nyax's law.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I think we should take a page out of D&Ds book and rename the thread "Star Wars EU: There is always more and it is always worse."

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Ok popping in with a legitimate question:

I finally (yes FINALLY) played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I generally went light side, with a handful of darker choices. But I was generally a good guy. The plot and the light/dark system got me thinking though. One of the planets, Korriban, is under Sith rule, and you impersonate a student to enter the Sith Academy. The Sith Code is all about embracing your feelings and gaining power from, well, from what it naturally means to be a sentient being.

So my question is this: Is it possible for a force-oriented individual to give in to emotions without totally becoming an evil rear end in a top hat? A lot of the canon makes it out to be that Jedi control their emotions and gain serenity through the force, while Sith let their hatred and rage fuel them. But I mean, isn't it possible to be passionate about something without becoming a lord of everything evil? Does anything in the SW universe ever deal with this, or is every force-user who experiences emotions doomed to become a galactic rear end in a top hat?

Also, the game made a big deal about Sith killing each other off all the time in a sort of survival-of-the-fittest mechanic. And from what I know, many of the EU materials do make mention of apprentices killing off their masters. So based on this, are the Sith totally retarded? I mean you'd expect eventually one of them would say, "Oh no, no way am I taking on an apprentice, he'll just stab me in the back when I least expect it."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

l33t b4c0n posted:

Ok popping in with a legitimate question:

I finally (yes FINALLY) played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I generally went light side, with a handful of darker choices. But I was generally a good guy. The plot and the light/dark system got me thinking though. One of the planets, Korriban, is under Sith rule, and you impersonate a student to enter the Sith Academy. The Sith Code is all about embracing your feelings and gaining power from, well, from what it naturally means to be a sentient being.

So my question is this: Is it possible for a force-oriented individual to give in to emotions without totally becoming an evil rear end in a top hat? A lot of the canon makes it out to be that Jedi control their emotions and gain serenity through the force, while Sith let their hatred and rage fuel them. But I mean, isn't it possible to be passionate about something without becoming a lord of everything evil? Does anything in the SW universe ever deal with this, or is every force-user who experiences emotions doomed to become a galactic rear end in a top hat?

Around this time in the EU (2003, 2004) a developing theme of ambiguity with the force was becoming common throughout the EU. The Unifying Force is of course the biggest example of this. It began allowing interesting story possibilities were characters weren't always railroaded into being either a Jedi or Sith.

This all abruptly ended when Lucas himself jumped in and said that there is no in between and every force user is either a patron saint or Hitler. Not so coincidentally this is exactly when the EU took a nose dive in every single discernible way.

So to answer your question, I don't loving know.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 18, 2011

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think each Sith is hoping their apprentice will succeed in killing them because that means they've trained a better Sith than they were and thus strengthened the order. A Sith who dies of old age, having either killed all his apprentices or never taken one, would be an abject failure.

At least, that's the interpretation that I've always understood. I think the Sith are most interesting when they're a combination of selfish emotional hedonism and selfless devotion to the whole "survival-of-the-fittest" concept.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

There is a certain amount of stupidity with this no in between business. Like the Jedi refusing to use all them super weapons they've got laying around against the Vong, because it would be "offensive" rather then "defensive" And are content to sit around as worlds get enslaved. Luke even disapproves of a guerrilla war Kip is fighting on moral grounds despite people pointing out thats how Luke defeated the Empire.

So when authors take the literal (read Lucas) approach to the force/morality/jedi code, some rather silly things happen.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I think each Sith is hoping their apprentice will succeed in killing them because that means they've trained a better Sith than they were and thus strengthened the order. A Sith who dies of old age, having either killed all his apprentices or never taken one, would be an abject failure.

At least, that's the interpretation that I've always understood. I think the Sith are most interesting when they're a combination of selfish emotional hedonism and selfless devotion to the whole "survival-of-the-fittest" concept.

There's also the appeal of having a full time ego-stroker who's world revolves around you.

Also some might just be using them as weapons, think Dooku who was just a means to an end for Palpy but theoretically could have figured that out and killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

l33t b4c0n posted:

So my question is this: Is it possible for a force-oriented individual to give in to emotions without totally becoming an evil rear end in a top hat? A lot of the canon makes it out to be that Jedi control their emotions and gain serenity through the force, while Sith let their hatred and rage fuel them. But I mean, isn't it possible to be passionate about something without becoming a lord of everything evil?

Gary Jedi bullshit aside, that's pretty much what Jolee tries to teach you throughout the game.