Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I know nothing other than what I've seen of DOTA and LOL and HON and the people who play it, and from that I derive that it's all garbage.

On a lighter note, Brotherhood owns. Look at this beautiful bean footage!

:c00lbert:

No Lucy! You're supposed to be working, not playing Project Legacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah. My CPU and RAM are 7.2, my graphics card is 6.9, but since my HDD is 5.8, my index is 5.8. It's dumb as hell.

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Someone explain to me how an i5 2500k @ 4ghz doesn't max out the processor score, and how the memory score is judged. Also, I have a OCZ Vertex 2 (non-gimped) - it's one of the fastest SSDs out there, but it's a 7.5? How? How do they even judge the differences?

And yes, Brotherhood is actually totally awesome. I just beat it on the weekend after skipping AC2, it's really improved. I still wish none of the modern-day stuff existed and they just set each new game in a new time period, that would be awesome

e: vvvvv it says the maximum is 7.9 above your score, I cropped it out

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 17, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I don't think there's an actual maximum. It's not 7.5 out of 10 or anything, it's just 7.5 units.
Like the maximum used to be maybe 5ish, and in the future it'll be 15 or more. Maybe.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I'm pretty sure you can't get above 5.9 on the HDD scale unless you buy an SSD. It only affects load times in games, anyway.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Vertigus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't get above 5.9 on the HDD scale unless you buy an SSD. It only affects load times, anyway.

Yeah, but it's supposed to make things simpler for the less hardware savvy. That will just confuse them more, since their $1200 Alienware will only show up as 5.8 or so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Blackula69 posted:

Also it's out of 8 for no reason (and you can never hit 8)

I always thought it was out of 6... :smith:

On another note, any advice on downgrading ATI drivers? For whatever reason my PC (might be Catalyst might be Steam) decided to update the driver to one of latest versions, but it doesn't seem to be fully compatible (it's a fairly low end and dated card) and I've lost a lot of functionality in CCC plus games run noticeably worse.

I've tried uninstalling the driver from the Device Manager and then installing an older version, resetting after each step (or not resetting at all, and again with even older drivers) but to no avail. I've been through this before, somehow must've gotten lucky that time(still wasted a couple of hours). I don't remember doing anything differently though. Help?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I always thought it was out of 6... :smith:

I think it was out of 6 on vista, and then got bumped up to 8 for win7.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lohli posted:

I think it was out of 6 on vista, and then got bumped up to 8 for win7.

Well, I am on Vista but I'd probably score similarly with 7 anyway since standards have shifted.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vertigus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't get above 5.9 on the HDD scale unless you buy an SSD. It only affects load times in games, anyway.
Even switching to USB 3.0 didn't make it budge. All these benchmarks are messed up or funny like "Can you run it".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, but it's supposed to make things simpler for the less hardware savvy. That will just confuse them more, since their $1200 Alienware will only show up as 5.8 or so.
This is probably the one good thing about WHR - it's a small incentive to push SSDs for people like Alienware who make gaming machines for non-techie people.

Rinkles posted:

On another note, any advice on downgrading ATI drivers? For whatever reason my PC (might be Catalyst might be Steam) decided to update the driver to one of latest versions, but it doesn't seem to be fully compatible (it's a fairly low end and dated card) and I've lost a lot of functionality in CCC plus games run noticeably worse.

Reboot between each step:

- Uninstall the ATI drivers (use the "express uninstall everything" option)
- Uninstall the drivers from Device Manager
- Run Driver Sweeper
- Delete any /ATI/ folder you have left around. Open C:\Windows\Assembly and delete everything with the key 90ba9c70f846762e
- Install new drivers

That seems to be the most thorough process I have found. On a different note, even going through all of that still makes the newest drivers refuse to run the Control Centre on my PC (it's not in the desktop right-click menu, and if I run it from Start nothing happens). I don't care much since I use ATI Tray Tools, but man is that stupid.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Just wanted to point out that this year's fourth quarter is going to be massive as far as PC gaming is concerned. Wish I could cryo myself until either D3 or Skyrim at the very least.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

DreadCthulhu posted:

Just wanted to point out that this year's fourth quarter is going to be massive as far as PC gaming is concerned. Wish I could cryo myself until either D3 or Skyrim at the very least.

After seeing the new BF3 footage today I don't think I'm going to have time or will to play D3 or GW2 or anything for a long long while.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

DreadCthulhu posted:

There's Diablo 3, Rage, Skyrim, BF3, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. My wallet is already crying.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

spasticColon posted:

There's Diablo 3, Rage, Skyrim, BF3, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. My wallet is already crying.

You missed a couple :swoon:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

spasticColon posted:

Isn't Dues Ex due in a few days?

And the is no way in hell Diablo 3 is going to release in quarter 4, whatever Blizzard or anyone else might say.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My list is:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Batman: Arkham City
Mass Effect 3
Assassin's Creed: Revelations

That should take me until early 2012, at which point Skyrim should have the essential mods to be semi-playable and Crusader Kings 2 should be released in paid beta. I might pick up WH40K:Space Marine if the price drops a little early, it sounds like decent fun.

And not that I need to add more to the list, but what's so interesting about Rage? From what I've gathered everybody is mostly excited about the amazing id backend programming, which will be leased to a whole new generation of developers, but gameplay-wise what does it have to offer?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I just watched the new BF3 trailer.:stare::fh:

I just hope my GTX460 is able to run it on high settings at 1080p but I should be set in the CPU department with my i5-2500K.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Blackula69 posted:

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Someone explain to me how an i5 2500k @ 4ghz doesn't max out the processor score, and how the memory score is judged. Also, I have a OCZ Vertex 2 (non-gimped) - it's one of the fastest SSDs out there, but it's a 7.5? How? How do they even judge the differences?

And yes, Brotherhood is actually totally awesome. I just beat it on the weekend after skipping AC2, it's really improved. I still wish none of the modern-day stuff existed and they just set each new game in a new time period, that would be awesome

e: vvvvv it says the maximum is 7.9 above your score, I cropped it out
Yeah, there's an actual limit on it. For vista, if I remember correctly, the limit was 5.9 or something. Not sure what the limit is for W7, but I was ecstatic when I heard that they up the limit.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!

Amrosorma posted:

Thanks for this, I thank you, my wallet does not. :cheers:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Preordered:
DE:HR
SR:The Third
Renegade Ops.

Will get at release or very soon after it:
Mass Effect 3

Also interested in, but due to me being a somewhat smart consumer not day 1:
AC: Revelations.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Zedd posted:

Preordered:
DE:HR
SR:The Third
Renegade Ops.

Will get at release or very soon after it:
Mass Effect 3

Also interested in, but due to me being a somewhat smart consumer not day 1:
AC: Revelations.

I'm not gonna lie; I will probably buy all the loving games on that drat list :smith:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I have DX3 preordered, thanks to that $30 deal on GMG a while back. I'm looking forward to Space Marine & Serious Sam, although I probably won't have the money to buy them on launch :smith:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Serious Sam: BFE, Batman: Arkrham City, and Assassin's Creed: Revelations are the three games I am really looking forward to. Really intrigued by Red Orchestra 2, too.

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug
right now my PC gamelist for fall 2011 is:

Skyrim
Arkham City
Torchlight 2 (hopefully?)
Diablo III (again maybe)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I built a new machine just this week; i5 (2500k), 8 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 560 Ti. It runs Crysis 2 in Ultra/DX11/high-res settings quite fine, but I'm trying to think of something that'd be fun and is worth playing. Deus Ex seems like a good choice but I don't really want to spend $50 on a single-player only game. Are there any good suggestions of any recent releases?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Sulk posted:

I built a new machine just this week; i5 (2500k), 8 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 560 Ti. It runs Crysis 2 in Ultra/DX11/high-res settings quite fine, but I'm trying to think of something that'd be fun and is worth playing. Deus Ex seems like a good choice but I don't really want to spend $50 on a single-player only game. Are there any good suggestions of any recent releases?
How recent is "recent"? Portal 2 is still really fun and has a full co-op mode with altogether separate levels. Plus it's pretty cheap by now.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Recent being within the last 5-6 months, I guess. I was never a huge Portal fan but it just seems like a weird time for games. I'm waiting for SWTOR/Diablo 3, but need to kill some time til they're out.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TF2 is cheap free now for MP.
Then get DE:HR / games released later on; and no game is 50euro on release if you shop around for proper preorder discounts.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Sulk posted:

Just built the exact same computer. :whatup:

It handled the BF3 Alpha with highest settings on x1080 flawlessly, so wait for that.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

DOTA2's gameplay is going to be a literal carbon copy of DOTA1's gameplay, right down to every single hero's statistics, movement speeds, etc.

I find this incredibly disappointing (and have done since they announced it as being such), and makes me curious as to how some of the more counter-intuitive mechanics got past Valve's infamous testers.

Makes me think that Valve making their own DotA style game would have been better than hiring Icefrog.

Finger Sandwiches
Jul 12, 2000

Perfect for getting that last bit of food from across the table.

NihilCredo posted:

And not that I need to add more to the list, but what's so interesting about Rage? From what I've gathered everybody is mostly excited about the amazing id backend programming, which will be leased to a whole new generation of developers, but gameplay-wise what does it have to offer?

I could just link you to the thread but the OP is way out of date, and the guy is banned. So rather than send you there and force you to read 10 pages to catch up...

5 or more minutes of gameplay of one of the missions (and farting around in one of the towns). Obviously these are spoilery for specific missions, but :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYAJuw7ICfs
Showing lots of ammo types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irm70vOqJTg
Another one with more shooty enemies.

Trailery video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFE66chCZuA

Basically it's a FPS from a studio with a reputation for solid feeling FPS combat, with varied missions, craftable items, rpg-esque quest style missions and a semi-open world. And hopefully it feels a little 90s-ish without being an abomination like DNF.

Recent previews have been very positive. These are all very spoilery for the first part of the game:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-02-rage-preview
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/rage-the-first-three-hours/3544/
http://kotaku.com/5826646/rage-is-the-id-software-comeback-ive-been-waiting-for

Eurogamer is probably the most critical (as I've come to expect from them most of the time), and it still feels like a very positive preview. Kotaku practically pisses itself with glee, Giant Bomb is somewhere in the middle.

What I enjoy about these previews is that all three of them sound like they came into the session with some preconceptions, some misgivings, or just not really sold on the game, and over the course of the piece, they all seem to come around to it.

I'm used to seeing glowing previews that are either fanboy'd or apparently paid advertisements from the start. I'm less used to seeing apathetic "I have to preview this obviously lovely game, but I can't come right out and say it sucks" previews, but I still see them occasionally.

I don't think I've ever seen one for a game that's been in the public eye for 4 years, that everybody thinks they know every trick the game has to offer, and yet it seems to surprise the previewer 2 months before the game releases. People who got to play it at Quakecon were pretty positive on it as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I find this incredibly disappointing (and have done since they announced it as being such), and makes me curious as to how some of the more counter-intuitive mechanics got past Valve's infamous testers.

Valve admitted in an interview that in previous mod-to-game conversions they were too quick to dismiss mechanics as "unintuitive" when they were actually good for the game in question.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Amrosorma posted:

PC gaming is dead my rear end.

Did anyone else see the article out yesterday about Epic wanting to switch back to the PC primarily? (Link) It's just too bad Mike Capps released that statement instead of Cliffy B who probably still thinks we're a bunch of filthy pirates since their games didn't sell well. :rolleyes:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

Did anyone else see the article out yesterday about Epic wanting to switch back to the PC primarily? (Link) It's just too bad Mike Capps released that statement instead of Cliffy B who probably still thinks we're a bunch of filthy pirates since their games didn't sell well. :rolleyes:

To be fair, I am an indie PC games developer and Epic has made my life (and the lives of a lot of PC game devs) so much better in just the last year or so.

In that regard, they've done more than Valve or anyone else right now.

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 17, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Did anyone else see the article out yesterday about Epic wanting to switch back to the PC primarily? (Link) It's just too bad Mike Capps released that statement instead of Cliffy B who probably still thinks we're a bunch of filthy pirates since their games didn't sell well.

Someone should force CliffyB to sit down and play the Gears of War port, then he can talk about piracy statistics affecting sales.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Gunslinger posted:

Someone should force CliffyB to sit down and play the Gears of War port, then he can talk about piracy statistics affecting sales.

I dunno, if he plays Gears of War period and can't see the problem, he might be a lost cause.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

The Gunslinger posted:

He'll just play it with a 360 controller and be puzzled at what we hate about it.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Sulk posted:

Recent being within the last 5-6 months, I guess. I was never a huge Portal fan but it just seems like a weird time for games. I'm waiting for SWTOR/Diablo 3, but need to kill some time til they're out.

Have you played Fallout:New Vegas?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Brace posted:

Have you played Fallout:New Vegas?

As good as it is, he might want to wait a few months for the inevitable GOTY-edition with all 4 DLCs comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bats posted:

He'll just play it with a 360 controller and be puzzled at what we hate about it.

360 controllers have unfortunately become the pc gaming standard.

Do dualshock 3's work as well as they do? because I might just buy one. Dualshocks own, mostly because their build quality isn't poo poo.

• Locked thread