Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Iacen posted:

This is, just to be clear, only something that affects PC-versions, right?
That's what the support page mentions, yeah. No word on the console versions, can't say more because I'm not familiar with those platforms. :shobon:

THE CRYSTAL HABIT PODCAST: EPISODE 2
( http://officialtombraiderblog.tumblr.com/post/9016545714/the-crystal-habit-returns-for-a-second-full-length )

The Crystal Habit returns for a second full-length podcast. Global Brand Director Karl Stewart kicks off the show by answering the month’s most pressing questions. The second segment features a special call-in guest from sister studio Eidos Montreal – Art Director Jonathan Jacques-Belletęte on behalf of the Deus Ex: Human Revolution crew.

Make sure to stick around till the very end for an exciting announcement!

Images Mentioned in Episode 2:

Download the track here.

edit: Deus Ex: Human Revolution's Secret Plan to Give You Free Will
Human Revolution's designers on creating a world you can think (or fight) your way through, seamlessly.
( http://www.1up.com/features/deus-ex-human-revolution-secret-plan-free-will )

When Deus Ex arrived in June 2000, it was unlike any game that had come before it. While ostensibly a first-person shooter, Deus Ex offered a sense of freedom and variety one would normally associate with an RPG, not a run-and-gun action game. Its intricate and generally well-written story provided context for the action, but it was the player who guided both the direction the story took and the means by which they arrived at one of the tale's many possible conclusions -- means that need not involve firing a single bullet, despite the game wearing the trappings of a shooter.

In many ways, Deus Ex remains unique to this day. The notion of a shooter/RPG hybrid no longer seems quite as unusual as it did a decade ago, but the specific form in which the two genres mingled in Ion Storm's classic has never been duplicated precisely. Even as the legacy of the original PC classic has largely been overshadowed by the success of modern blockbusters Mass Effect and Fallout 3, it still stands out amidst these recent giants. Despite all their accomplishments, they nevertheless don't offer the same exquisite balance of action and role-playing seen in the original Deus Ex.

"Deus Ex is a lot more open than Mass Effect, and I respect that it's less open than Fallout," observes Jean-Francois Dugas, director of the upcoming Deus Ex sequel Human Revolution. "At the same time, our characters and our stories are more present than Fallout's. We're not necessarily digging as much as in all the depth and characters as in Mass Effect, though. ( :lol: ) [Human Revolution] is kind of the in-between."

In many ways, the closest modern equivalent to Deus Ex is Irrational's BioShock ?- fitting, since both games descend directly from Looking Glass Studio's System Shock series. Even then, the parallels frequently break down. for example, BioShock integrates its narrative elements into the game action, with remote voice-overs replacing the discrete, hands-off cut scenes prevalent in the Deus Ex games. Yet the two series share a very similar structural philosophy: Both place the player into a scenario whose direction is largely predetermined, while offering many choices for the gamer to navigate the macro-level plot with their choice of specific tactics and techniques.

"As much as possible, we try to accommodate players' agency in the sense that, yes, sometimes we have constraints that force us to lead the players in in some direction," says Dugas. "We want to establish the challenges, but after that it's all about the players figuring out how to solve those challenges. The main story is linear, but how it plays out is open depending on how you play and what you choose. All the plot points are the same for everyone, but some of them play out differently depending on your choices."

For Human Revolution, Eidos Montreal is striving to make the player's choices less obvious and more naturally woven into the story than in most games. interestingly, it's a similar tack to the one irrational promises to explore in next year's BioShock Infinite. There, the previous games' simplistic choice of saving or harvesting powers from "little sisters" at the touch of a button is being phased out in favor of more subtle options. For instance, the option to interrupt the public execution seen in Infinite's E3 demo won't be determined through on-screen prompts in the final version; rather, players may jump in and break up the tableau at great personal risk, or else they can simply let the scene play out while remaining safe and undetected. Either way, the choice won't be explicitly indicated with on-screen prompts; it will be up to the user to determine when such situations arise and how they can be resolved.

This seems like a bold step forward in terms of game design, but on many levels Human Revolution just might beat it to the punch. Dugas indicates that the hostage crisis situation from his own game's earliest demos -- a well-known game scenario by this point -- is only the first of what he promises will be many such subtly designed player choices in the final game.

"At the beginning of the game, you're in Sarif HQ and you're told it's time to go save [the company's technology] in the manufacturing plant -- and, also, that hostages are being held there," Dugas explains. "This is the first time you've seen Sarif HQ, yet you're told to go directly to the chopper, and it clearly shows there is an emergency happening. But at the same time you probably feel compelled to explore the setting you're in -- read emails, talk to people. You might stay there for 15 minutes or so. and if you do that, the hostages will die. But if you go in time, you have a chance to save them.

"What's funny is the feedback we received from the people who have played it so far is that most games try to create a feeling of urgency that's merely part of the story, yet you can spend three hours in the corner and no one is going to care about who gets hurt or whatnot. With [Human Revolution's situations], people told us, 'Well, I didn't expect that outcome because most games say it's an emergency, and it's not true.' In this game, though, it happens to be true.

"It was really important to us to make those kinds of choices within the flow of the game, so you don't necessarily realize that you have a choice there."

To hear them tell it, the Human Revolution team is keen on the notion that their work should feel like part of a cohesive whole. The original Deus Ex established a game concept built at its most fundamental level around the freedom to explore multiple choices, both in dialogue and in play style. Stealth, hacking, and combat were equally valid ways to work through each level, just as you could be friendly, aggressive, or disingenuous in order to work your way through the game's social situations. Dugas isn't determined to merely recreate that balance, but to build on it as well.

"For us [separating gameplay and narative] is exactly what we wanted to avoid," he says. "As we were building the missions along with the story, we were always challenging ourselves. 'Does this sequence support the story? Ah, you know what; the story here doesn't really help the gameplay.' Sometimes we define the story through the gameplay. and we were always going back and forth like that, making sure that the gameplay and the story were gelling together as one unique experience. Everything feels totally connected, like one experience."

Deus Ex certainly experimented with this concept, although only one of the game's more subtle choices (the ability to save hero J.C. Denton's brother by not abandoning him in a firefight) seems to be cited as a genuine surprise by most fans. By and large, its freedom of choice was determined by menu selections and character builds -- a design style that Human Revolution will be upholding as well.

"We really wanted to retain the RPG elements that all have to do with customizing your character's abilities," says Dugas. "Did you want to make him a combat guy? A stealth guy? A techie guy? It all depends on the weapons and the upgrades. What kind of player do you want to be? It's about walking that thin line all the time and trying to find the sweet spot."

The process of integrating multiple forms of choice and player control into a game as complex as Human Revolution has required careful trial-and-error effort from the start, says Dugas. The team went into the game with the intent of expanding on the classic Deus Ex structure, and they're been committed to fine-tuning the design as necessary, even if that means stepping back and admitting that a particularly beloved idea has led to a dead end.

"We built the game experience on paper," he says. "We've debated those choices and how they should be conveyed to the player. And when we go into implementation, sometimes things change because we encounter a technical constraint. We cannot do it this way or that way, so we'll have to go back to another way of doing this. But it's been a really organic process, I would say."

Much of Human Revolution's key staff consists of defectors from Ubisoft's Splinter Cell: Conviction team. Tech level design director Patrick Carron feels that the change between franchises has been a natural and logical next step for the team, one that helped pave the way for the new ground that the upcoming Deus Ex sequel breaks.

"Splinter Cell is a child of Deus Ex," says Carron. "It's similar in that you have to remain in the shadows. The player can approach it with stealth. Even with [Conviction], we wanted to go with something more action-oriented. And how do you blend action with stealth? As a player, I'm a huge fan of role-playing games, a huge fan of Ultima Underworld and System Shock. [Moving over to Deus Ex] was a transition where I could go, 'OK, now I can apply those ideas.'"

Every revolution begins with a manifesto, and Dugas says that Human Revolution's is "About choices. It's about consequences. It's about how you decide to tackle the objective. It's about making it rewarding. It's about making it exciting. It's about augmentations and making sure that you feel like a man in the 21st century."

"The world has to be responsive," adds Carron.

Human Revolution has a difficult task before it: To create a satisfying sequel to a PC classic, a task that even one of the original game's creators failed at. To their credit, the team seem to regard themselves more as facilitators to the user's experience than as dictators. Their task as they see it is to line up the dominoes; the player gets to knock them over and determine how, and if, they fall.

"That's what the game is all about," says Dugas. "Providing all those systems, working together. helping the player find his own solution. We don't dictate it."

Tecman fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Iacen posted:

This is, just to be clear, only something that affects PC-versions, right?
The PS3 version will be region free because Sony does not allow region locks in any PS3 games. All Xbox 360 games are region locked.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Undead Zombie posted:

The PS3 version will be region free because Sony does not allow region locks in any PS3 games. All Xbox 360 games are region locked.

Not really that pertinent, but not all 360 games are region locked. I believe it's up to the publisher. You'll see a good amount of shoot 'em ups from Japan being region-free, for instance.

I'm sure DX: HR won't be.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So that big reveal at the end was the contest, or did I miss something by skipping ahead?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I went to a Deus Ex launch event tonight. I played it on PS3, xbox, and PC.

The PC version was pretty cool, they had it spanning 3 monitors with a radeon 6970... or 6790, whatever. It can apparently do 5 monitors out of the box.

I only played the PC version a few minutes as they only had the one PC, it seemed to be a pretty standard console port with maybe some better textures.

The xbox/ps3 versions were identical with the ps3 looking better yet somehow not blending/having worse lighting. Could have been the PCs.

Any questions about the game?

Facts:

Hacking has a kind of circuit / capture the flag thing going on and reminded me of both Bioshock and Spacechem.

Combat is combat. There is a cover system you can lean out of with L3 and it's the same as every other cover system.

On hard mode, I got shot twice and died.

The AI seems to be dynamic - coming up to a room with 2 guards in it, they would react completely differently every time depending what I did, even if I was in the same spot. OK, the AI's random.

There was free beer at the event.

The pistol was satisfyingly blammy and fun to shoot. Melee combat is limited to "Press B to kill this person" and "Hold B to make this person go to sleep".

Enemies shooting at you? No worries hide behind this box until they go away. But don't bump the box! This makes them able to shoot you through the box! Oh no, arbitrary combat rules.

It was the full game we were playing, but I only got a go for about half an hour at the end because we turned up late. To speak for the addictiveness and positiveness of the game, no bastard got off their console for several hours after they had started playing. I've never seen people less willing to give up the controller at a launch event.

Yeah, this is deus ex 2. Dunno what that other practice game was.

VVVVVVVVV - Intkeys.com - deus ex - $32

iRend fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 17, 2011

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
Region locking is such a dick move to pull a week before release. My UK preorder from six months ago is now useless and the AE costs 50% more locally (and might also turn out to be a non-functional UK import). Maybe I should just wait for a 10€ Steam sale.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

iRend posted:

Giving the down low.

You can't be serious? Did you read any of this thread? If you want to make the argument that this is DX2.5, then fine (you'll get destroyed, but fine), but we've covered pretty much everything else you said.

About half the people here have played the 10 hour long leak and as such, have a pretty good idea of how it plays. Most of the others are on a self imposed "blackout." My point is, your tidbits of 4 or 5 month old info isn't really needed.

EDIT: VVV I did, and some of it was valid, but some less so. Also, glad you got a chance to attend the launch party. That's neat.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 17, 2011

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION
Ok, cool... sorry to offer my opinion.

I wasn't making any argument, i was saying that it seems a satisfactory sequel to Deus Ex 1, whereas Deus Ex 2 is not.

e: Did you read any of my post?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

iRend posted:

Ok, cool... sorry to offer my opinion.

I wasn't making any argument, i was saying that it seems a satisfactory sequel to Deus Ex 1, whereas Deus Ex 2 is not.

e: Did you read any of my post?

That's reassuring. It did come off as "this game sucks like DX2" for me too though.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

NITROUS DIVISION

fennesz posted:

That's reassuring. It did come off as "this game sucks like DX2" for me too though.

The game doesn't suck. I played a release version and offered my first impressions. I won't do it again.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

iRend posted:

The game doesn't suck. I played a release version and offered my first impressions. I won't do it again.

It's understandably hard to see it from our perspectives, but your post did come off as a bit uninformed of the context around here. Again though, it's not like everyone has the time to read gigantic game threads post by post.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011
Poor iRend, getting attacked for saying this is the true sequel to the first Deus Ex rather than Invisible War. The placement and wording of that phrase (after the critiques you offered) seems to be the sticking point for a few.

edit: looks like I shouldn't have got sidetracked on another thread. Others have touched on this by now but here's one for the road.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the original (like everyone else in the world, it seems) and looking forward to next week. Can't play the, ahem, 'extended demo' so I've lived vicariously through you. The amazing OP, the impressions you folks have posted and interaction by the developers sold me on Human Revolution.

In other words, thanks. Now don't go lettin' me/us down, game!

hojusimpson fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 17, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Everdraed posted:

Goddamn, it's too large a file or I'd make it my avatar. :saddowns:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

(27,2 KB)

Go for it dude.

(Don't forget the tag :v: )

edit: http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com

What's the ratio of trenchcoat Adam to non-tenchcoat Adam through the game? Because (and I don't intend to make any character designers cry here, but...) the trenchcoat is so much cooler.
Frank says:
“In terms of levels or play time? Trenchcoat Adam appears mostly in city hubs. They aren’t numerous, but you do spend a lot of time in them. Time-wise, it’s probably around a 60/40 split in favor of the non-trenchcoat Adam.”

will we get to intervene in gang fights like in the first game?, i loved those moments when you would see unatco troops taking on the nsf or rival triad gangs fighting, will we have those moment in this game?
Frank says:
“If you so choose, yes. But instead of just dropping in on an ongoing fight, you’ll be able to pit factions against one another in city hubs (cops vs gangers for example).”

Was there anything you really liked that had to be cut for whatever reason?
Frank says:
“Oh yeah! My favorites were remote hacking and ATMs.”

I've read the comics, I've read the book and I am going to read every data terminal and pad I can find in game. Where can I/will I get more fiction in the Deus Ex universe?
Frank says:
“Aside from my one-man (nude) DX Broadway show, I’ve heard Jean-Francois is working on some DX oil paintings, while Mary is hard at work on a hardcore DX pen-and-paper RPG.”

Making the game exposes you to all it's secrets and stories. Do you ever wish someone else had made DX:HR so that you could have the magic of playing it for the first time like we're going to do?
Frank says:
“Yes I do. Human Revolution is exactly the kind of game I would love to play. Being able to play it from a fresh perspective would be a boon.”

1. Is there a number, how many people are working to this project to be sucessful?
2. Have you made some sacrifices from your personal life to make this project come true in this life?
3. Are you sure, what is happening in the game, will not come true in our real lifes? Hope, to get answers! (And the game is great, waiting for it!)
Frank says:
“1 - There is no magic number of people for a project to be successful. On one hand, the less people there are, the better the synergy between them. On the other hand, you also want to make sure you have enough people on staff to get everything you need done.
2- None aside from some overtime.
3- Some of it will come true I’m fairly certain. Augmentations will be a reality someday and we’ll probably have a public debate about them.”

Have you considered increasing the amounts of ammo throughout the game? I mean, finding 1 bullet per weapon and 2~3 bullets per ammo pack seems ridiculous to me.
Frank says:
“Hehe, I was dreading this question. But since I’m directly responsible for this, might as well come clean.

Yes we have considered it. In fact, that’s how the game was for a good while; every weapon dropped by NPCs would be fully loaded. Early playtesters wound up with hundred of bullets in their inventory and never felt the need to scrounge for ammunition. That was around the time the game was reported to be too easy.

So we did a loot pass for the whole game, drastically reducing the amount of ammo in the game. When our next playtest session came around, two things occurred:

1-People were bitching and moaning about the lack of ammo.
2-The fun factor went up. Drastically.

Turns out that reducing the amount of ammo in the game forced people to stop and think. People started to “get” what Deus Ex was about. We saw a lot more exploration and creative problem solving.

We could’ve reduced the number of pickups instead so they could be full when picked up, but that would’ve meant having levels that are almost empty and bodies with hardly anything worthwhile on them. With less and less time at our disposal, we opted to leave things as they were, deciding that having pickups with fewer bullets was the best trade-off we could make given the circumstances.

So now you know…”

If you're cloaked and fire a weapon do you automatically become uncloaked?
Frank says:
“Nope. ;)

Does Adam Jensen still like cereal?
Frank says:
“More than ever.”

Will it be possible to turn off the yellow highlights around the objects? I have a feeling that It'll make any secrets redundant, since spotting them will be a trival matter.
Frank says:
"No. I…um…er… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c31PhzVwnfc "

This will be my first time playing a Deus Ex game, will I miss out on anything for not having played the others?
Frank says:
“Nope. Go ahead, enjoy safely.”

What are the modern day conspiracies that DXHR took as inspiration for its own stories?
Frank says:
“Can’t talk about those.”

When designing the weapon and various other peripherals in DX:HR did you (collectively) take any specific influences from specific films or other games, were your designs all original, moderately influenced or highly influenced by an outside source? Also, I have noticed that JF wears a lot of metal tees, does he ever randomly roam the studio blasting Satyricon and Opeth?
Frank says:
“He wishes. Sometimes, later in the evening, when almost everyone is gone, he’ll open up his speakers and allow us all to enjoy his smooth metal serenades.”

Did you guys take any inspiration from particular cyberpunk books/series? if so what were they and where would we notice them?
Frank says:
“I know there’s some Gibson and some Stephenson in there. Shadowrun was a good source of inspiration for the hacking.”

Any idea on when that Deus Ex Pen and Paper RPG will be available? Got a place we can keep updated on it?
Frank says:
“Unfortunately, it was only a joke. If anybody is actually working on one, I’d like to know.”

Tecman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 17, 2011

Neosuki
Jul 14, 2004

iRend posted:

VVVVVVVVV - Intkeys.com - deus ex - $32

Never heard of these guys? Are they legit? I've got a buddy looking for a good deal.

VVVVVVV - F That then. I had a guy try out the old GMG Twitter coupon for 20% off. He said it still worked. 20PEC-TWEET-SAVER

Neosuki fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 17, 2011

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Neosuki posted:

Never heard of these guys? Are they legit? I've got a buddy looking for a good deal.

They are but there is region locking on physical box copies so i would advise against it. What they do is buy boxed cheap copies in 3rd and 4th teir countries and send you a photo of a serial key.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

coyo7e posted:

Whoops, totally must have posted the 256 color version instead of the 128.

Wait a minute, no I didn't. I guess imgur is just randomly recompressing / bloating files uploaded to it? Weird.

Tecman posted:

(27,2 KB)

Go for it dude.

(Don't forget the tag :v: )

Good save! Here's the original anyway, and the other dogmentation avatar in case someone wants it, since it wasn't picked.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

emoticon posted:

Yeah the original Deus Ex is noticeably absent from the list, as is System Shock 2, Half-Life 1, and any RPG released since 1996. That list is pretty drat bad.

To be fair they did give the original Deus Ex a 9/10, and mentioned it met or exceeded its hype. But man, that engine was clunky even back then, I wouldn't have given it a 10.

SS2 got 8/10, Half-Life got 9/10, those can hardly be called bad scores.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wait, they're maintaining the same ammo system from the leak? That's absurd. It makes automatic weapons fairly worthless. I agree with the decision to give low numbers of bullets per enemy but it really should scale based on the ammo you find. The SMG in Deus Ex 3 is pretty worthless because at most you're going to have around 20-50 bullets for it and it tends to go through that fairly quickly.

There is also a psychological element to never having a full clip of ammunition. It makes the player not to want to use a weapon. Not to mention if you're a stealth player who tries to avoid combat you're pretty much never going to have any ammunition.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 17, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MZ posted:

To be fair they did give the original Deus Ex a 9/10, and mentioned it met or exceeded its hype. But man, that engine was clunky even back then, I wouldn't have given it a 10.

SS2 got 8/10, Half-Life got 9/10, those can hardly be called bad scores.

Deus Ex was ugly even when it came out, had huge sweeping balance issues, bugs and more. Also dumb-as-rocks AI and weirdly wonky combat. It had flaws out the wazoo but scored a 9 in spite of them, which is rather impressive.

System Shock 2 was triply ugly and twice as unbalanced as Deus Ex, and still got an 8/10 (which would be a 90% score from anywhere else). Those games had huge gaping flaws which their strengths managed to overcome, but it doesn't mean they were perfect or even easy to recommend to a broad audience.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Dominic White posted:

and still got an 8/10 (which would be a 90% score from anywhere else)
To piggyback on this, for those who don't know, Edge usually uses the entire 1-10 scale, so a 5 would be average, an 8 would be extremely good, etc. When a game gets an 8 or 9 from Edge, that game is very, very good and worth picking up.

If a game gets a 10 from Edge, that says a lot about the game. It may not be a score I agree with, but it's still a ridiculously huge amount of praise and no matter what every 10/10 game they give is always a game worth playing. I always thought Bayonetta was just some average game until I saw it got a 10, and I got it that day and I'm glad I did.

Not to derail this into an Edge thing, of course. But if Deus Ex 3 really did get a 10 from them, not only does it make me happy, but it'll also convince a lot of other folks to check it out, just like me and Bayonetta.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Dominic White posted:

Deus Ex was ugly even when it came out, had huge sweeping balance issues, bugs and more. Also dumb-as-rocks AI and weirdly wonky combat. It had flaws out the wazoo but scored a 9 in spite of them, which is rather impressive.

System Shock 2 was triply ugly and twice as unbalanced as Deus Ex, and still got an 8/10 (which would be a 90% score from anywhere else). Those games had huge gaping flaws which their strengths managed to overcome, but it doesn't mean they were perfect or even easy to recommend to a broad audience.

So just to clarify what's the separating difference between 8, 9, and 10? It sounds to me like 8 and 9 are for very good games with huge gaping flaws, and 10 is for presumably perfect (?) games or games with minimal flaws?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

So it turns out even the UK version won't work in rest of Europe. Congrats Square-Enix, this is the first preorder ever I have ever had to cancel. :waycool:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There is also a psychological element to never having a full clip of ammunition. It makes the player not to want to use a weapon. Not to mention if you're a stealth player who tries to avoid combat you're pretty much never going to have any ammunition.

Wait, what? If you're a stealth player you're going to have plenty of ammunition because you never use it. I agree with you on the SMG ammo front, the SMG had the least amount of ammo available of any automatic weapon, which was useless. I think over the course of the whole leak you could end up with 40 or so tranq darts, 200 pistol bullets, 150 AR bullets, 130 smg rounds, and like 80 tazer rounds. I stopped counting once I started slaughtering everyone.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

emoticon posted:

So just to clarify what's the separating difference between 8, 9, and 10? It sounds to me like 8 and 9 are for very good games with huge gaping flaws, and 10 is for presumably perfect (?) games or games with minimal flaws?

It all just depends on the reviewer, but as mentioned, they use the whole scale. 6 is decent, 7 is good, 8 is excellent. 9's only happen once every few issues, and 10s apparently get discussed by the whole editorial staff before they're handed out, so if they gave it a 10, that's the majority prevailing opinion over there.

The original Deus Ex was a weird one. It had huge problems, but it was seriously great in spite of them. From what I've played of DX:HR so far, it fixes the things wrong with Deus Ex but keeps all the good stuff.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait, they're maintaining the same ammo system from the leak? That's absurd. It makes automatic weapons fairly worthless. I agree with the decision to give low numbers of bullets per enemy but it really should scale based on the ammo you find. The SMG in Deus Ex 3 is pretty worthless because at most you're going to have around 20-50 bullets for it and it tends to go through that fairly quickly.

You haven't even played 2/3 of the game, how do you know how much ammo is in it? I expected little ammo from the sections in the leak, because they were like, normal non-military areas.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A local store had the collectors edition for €55..they sold out. :negative:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Part of the deal with SMG ammo is that you tend to use a lot of it, whereas pistols and stuff there isn't nearly as much spraying. That said, when I put a silencer and damage mod on my SMG and double-tapped a bunch of ballers from cover I was swimming in ammo by the time I'd finished. But, it wasn't nearly as fun as just spraying/blindfiring which is how the SMG is supposed to be used.

None of this matters though because you get a big fuckoff Akira laser according to the trailers. :hellyeah:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I spent some time playing a psychopath during the leak, and if you pick up enemy weaponry (that also adds ammo) and loot their corpses, and fire sparingly, you never run out of ammo. If you go in like its gears of war, where a full clip is sometimes required to take out single enemies, then yes, that might mean using up all available clips. Quick pinpoint shots win out over extended bursts.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

So it turns out even the UK version won't work in rest of Europe. Congrats Square-Enix, this is the first preorder ever I have ever had to cancel. :waycool:

Same, this is retarded, since I usually play all my games in English and want my box content to be in English too. Had to preorder from Amazon.de now, luckily you will be able to get the language packs on Steam.

Still this decision is on par with Ubisoft when it comes to retardation and if I had some spine I would cancel my purchase.

Intense
Mar 23, 2011
Wow, pretty much a week left. Its times like this that I'm glad I was born on August 23 :toot:

Just make sure, will we be able to activate Human Revolution on Steam if we bought the retail copy?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Intense posted:

Wow, pretty much a week left. Its times like this that I'm glad I was born on August 23 :toot:

Just make sure, will we be able to activate Human Revolution on Steam if we bought the retail copy?

Yes, every PC version of the game has to activate into steam.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need

Intense posted:

What's up 8/23 buddy? :respek:

I am getting more hyped up for this game than anything in a long time. I haven't really been excited for any recent game, for that matter, so HR is certainly looking to be my next timesink.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

Same, this is retarded, since I usually play all my games in English and want my box content to be in English too. Had to preorder from Amazon.de now, luckily you will be able to get the language packs on Steam.

Or you could get someone to gift you the UK version on Steam if you don't care about boxes, that's still going to work.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
It feels like Christmas is less than a week away! Also thanks to whoever fixed up my title and added the DEHR tag :shobon:

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

evilmiera posted:

I spent some time playing a psychopath during the leak, and if you pick up enemy weaponry (that also adds ammo) and loot their corpses, and fire sparingly, you never run out of ammo. If you go in like its gears of war, where a full clip is sometimes required to take out single enemies, then yes, that might mean using up all available clips. Quick pinpoint shots win out over extended bursts.

Yeah, it's not like the enemies are bullet sponges, like in most FPSes. If you play tactically, then ammo should not be an issue. It's not like gunning everyone down is your only available option either. (again, unlike most fpses)

Personally, I find the game's lean towards more realistic gunplay kind of refreshing. A lot of games try to make you conserve ammo at first, but have inventory systems where you can endlessly stockpile a ridiculous amount of everything (like Fallout3)

Speaking of the inventory, I'm a bit worried about what the final version is going to be like. The one in the leak felt pretty awkward and had some strange choices as to what size certain objects were and how much you could stack them, not to mention the head-scratcher of a decision to make virus programs physical objects (What, does the security system spit out a floppy disk every time you do a hack? Does Adam not have a [literal] USB finger storage drive?)

Even if I appreciate how the inventory system positively effects the game-play, I do hope they made some improvements there.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008

ritcheyz posted:

I am getting more hyped up for this game than anything in a long time. I haven't really been excited for any recent game, for that matter, so HR is certainly looking to be my next timesink.

Same for me. I've never been one to count down release dates. This is first game I have preordered since the original Unreal. I've played through IW again for the first time since it came out (I know, I know), and I'm currently making my way through the original for the umpteenth time, in some vague effort to 'get ready' for HR. I have DX fever.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

If anyone wants DX:HR for free and is shopping for a new video card, Newegg's daily deal for the XFX Radeon HD 6870 comes with free Steam-redeemable copies of Dirt 3, Shogun 2: Total War, AND Deus Ex: Human Revolution. :pcgaming:

edit: HD 6950 too

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 17, 2011

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I finally played the leak. I picked up a garbage dumpster and threw it at a car, setting the alarm off. This pissed off a nearby citizen so badly that he drew his gun and start popping off at me.

I fled, eager to hide, but some alert police were bearing down on my position and... walked right by me. Eventually the cops found the pistolero hiding behind said car, surrounded him, and violated his civil rights with automatic gunfire.

This game is sooooo Deus Ex.

W/rt ammo, can't you buy it from the arms merchants in the gas station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Veotax posted:

Or you could get someone to gift you the UK version on Steam if you don't care about boxes, that's still going to work.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it won't be necessary. According to forums I will be able to register the key from the German version and then download the language pack over Steam.

Also the Limited Edition on Amazon.de has the same goodies as the Augmented Edition on Amazon.co.uk

• Locked thread