Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Copper Vein posted:

This is how it's done, bros.

Sup G13 buddy! (It rules.) I wouldn't mind having a USB version of the original XBOX controller simply because I preferred that one (still do) over the 360 version, but alas, I cannot find one. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Huzzah! My heat sink finally arrived and installed perfectly! The only annoying part was unscrewing my motherboard to get the bracket on the back of it, but after reconnecting everything and applying a fresh rice grain size of paste to the CPU and the heatsink (the heatsink didn't come with any on it. Weird.) and screwing the heatsink on nice and tight. This loving beast refuses to let my processor go above 40C, and that's in-game and with my 3.6ghz overclock. Huge difference.

This is my first time with an aftermarket heatsink and messing with thermal paste, so I'm a little proud of myself. :)

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Red Baron posted:

Sup G13 buddy! (It rules.) I wouldn't mind having a USB version of the original XBOX controller simply because I preferred that one (still do) over the 360 version, but alas, I cannot find one. :(

You can't get a USB version of it, but I own an adapter to plug it into a USB port. It's not as easy to set up as the 360 controller but if you still love the original Xbox controller (the best controller) you could hunt one down.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is anyone still selling a fatty xbox controller, and can you make it work on windows 7?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is anyone still selling a fatty xbox controller, and can you make it work on windows 7?

XBCD works with those too, but you'll have to put Windows into test mode, override driver-signing, and sign the drivers manually if you're running x64

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

Even then, I've been getting random BSOD's with it plugged-in, with xbcd.sys as the culprit, and it never did this before. I'm guessing a recent update hosed things up, since it was working fine for the last 3 years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Red Baron posted:

I wouldn't mind having a USB version of the original XBOX controller simply because I preferred that one (still do) over the 360 version, but alas, I cannot find one. :(

Wasn't the d-pad on that thing a mess?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't the d-pad on that thing a mess?

I don't recall it being bad, the 360's is probably the only dpad I remember ever being awful.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I don't think the Xbox fat controller d-pad even had arrows on it.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
For the first time in my life I'm going to have a PC built for gaming! Can anyone recommend me some good games? I like RPGs, Shooters, Action/Adventure types. It's a pretty decent rig so good graphics would be a plus. Even though my monitor is still poo poo.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

The Gunslinger posted:

You have to pay like $70 to get a 360 controller with a decent dpad too :(

Can you elaborate on this? I have a wired standard 360 controller with a horrible dpad and a wired Street Fighter 4 360 controller with a terrific dpad but no analog sticks, but I would very much like to pay $70 to not have to switch between controllers when I'm going from an emulator to a port.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Super Fan posted:

For the first time in my life I'm going to have a PC built for gaming! Can anyone recommend me some good games? I like RPGs, Shooters, Action/Adventure types. It's a pretty decent rig so good graphics would be a plus. Even though my monitor is still poo poo.

Some less well known ones, rather than the inevitable "ME2, BC2, ect":

RPGs:
-Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII Double Pack: Some pretty neat indie RPGs that used to be XBLIG only.
-The Witcher: Polish RPG based on a series of novels (which are not all currently in english, sadly), should be fairly cheap on GoG.

Shooters:
-Wolfenstein/Singularity: Raven's latest two games, they're not so much innovative as they are decently put together and actually fun, unlike some more hyped FPSes (looking at you, BioShock).
-Red Faction: Armageddon: I really like this, and it's a shame it got panned. It's your average corridor shooter but it has building destruction and a host of interesting weaponry.

Action/Adventure:
-Darksiders: Darksiders is really, really good. People compare it to Zelda, but I've never played Zelda so I wouldn't know.
-Just Cause 2: Basically you cause chaos in a giant open world and do hilarious poo poo.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I have a wired standard 360 controller with a horrible dpad and a wired Street Fighter 4 360 controller with a terrific dpad but no analog sticks, but I would very much like to pay $70 to not have to switch between controllers when I'm going from an emulator to a port.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Silver-Controller-Play-Charge/dp/B0041HROGG

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

KFCB posted:

I don't think the Xbox fat controller d-pad even had arrows on it.

Do you really need arrows on a cross?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you really need arrows on a cross?

Sorry, what I meant was it's just a bunch of dips. It didn't even have a cross shape.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Does that "play and charge kit" it comes with make it work just like a wired controller?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Does that "play and charge kit" it comes with make it work just like a wired controller?

No. Wireless controllers can't use the USB charging cord to act like a wired controller.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

The reviews for the "new" D-Pad don't seem that glowing. I never had any trouble with my first gen 360 wireless controller's D-Pad at all.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

KFCB posted:

Sorry, what I meant was it's just a bunch of dips. It didn't even have a cross shape.

Considering Nintendo has a patent on ANYTHING resembling a cross-shaped D-pad, nothing will, and this goes for the convex arrows too, and basically everything else that would make other companies' D-pads somewhat-better

Chiming-in that the Xbox S controller has a really comfy/firm D-pad. Same for my 360 controller, but it was one of those black ones made around 2009

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Charles Martel posted:

The reviews for the "new" D-Pad don't seem that glowing. I never had any trouble with my first gen 360 wireless controller's D-Pad at all.

I have a controller with the old D-pad and, while it sucks, it wasn't so bad I couldn't play NES/SNES games. I actually went through all the original Ninja Gaidens with it.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Super Fan posted:

Deus Ex is eleven years old, so it won't exactly put your system to task, but it's a drat fine first-person stealth adventure RPG. There's a reason that Deus Ex is constantly fellated around here. It also has a sequel coming on the 23rd, and early looks are overwhelmingly positive. Whatever you do, don't pay money for Invisible War: odds are decent it won't even run on your computer, and if it does, it'll be enough of a pain in the rear end to overshadow any of its accomplishments (which are few, although not entirely absent).

Fallout: New Vegas is exactly what you want. You should wait for the GotY edition with all the DLC packaged in, though. In the meantime, check out Fallout 3; the gameplay's not as good as New Vegas's (particularly the shooty bits) and the writing's awful, but it's still worth playing. It'll also give you a chance to get familiar with the modding tools, which breath a whole new life into the game.

If you can deal with Eastern European games (unpolished, kind of buggy, highly experimental), then you're unlikely to find better shooter/explorers than the STALKER games. You can skip Clear Sky (the atmosphere is poo poo and the story doesn't matter), but I'd suggest playing Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat. SoC is the first game, and it shows, but there are a lot of areas to run around in and a lot of anomalies to search. CoP is the third game, with much more solid game mechanics, but you won't really know why you're doing anything unless you played SoC.

Metro 2033 was a game born out of the ashes of failed STALKER builds. There's far less exploration (as the name implies, you spend most of the game underground), but the game mechanics are much more solid and polished (particularly stealth) and it's by a wide margin the most atmospheric game I've ever seen. It looks drat good, too. Very survival-horror at times, though. Don't expect to just wade into warzones, slinging bullets: ammo is precious and combat is dangerous. Unless you happen to be sitting behind a machine gun mounted on the back of a rail-buggy.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is an old Troika game. It can bug out, and it's got a terrible sewer level, but its certainly got charm, and if you're genuinely a shooter/RPG fan, you'll have a blast. One note: don't play a Malkavian your first time through. Malks have this whole clarity-in-madness thing going on, so they'll see future plot points through the lens of insanity. It's hard to appreciate unless you know what's going on.

Play the Just Cause 2 demo. If the destruction appeals to you, get the full game. You'll spend hours just dicking around, and you won't regret them. The game world's something like 400 km2, so you won't run out of stuff to explode anytime soon. It's gorgeous too, especially the jungles. The demo sticks you out in the desert though.

The Witcher is a great RPG (with some shoddy combat mechanics and two very slow opening chapters) that can be picked up for $10, DRM-free from GOG.com. The Witcher 2 is (from what I hear) a vast improvement.

Red Faction: Guerrilla is a megadamage sandbox game with destructible buildings set on Mars Space rear end in a top hat simulator. Shooting mechanics are pretty bad (enemies are way too tough, it's usually easier to just crush everyone with a sledgehammer), but the building destruction is right good, and there's a reasonably sized area to explore. It's $20 on Steam, but you can certainly find it cheaper elsewhere, since it's a few years old.

Mount and Blade: Warband (there are three installments, but there's literally no reason to play the first and Fire & Sword is a step backward) is a pretty fun sandbox action RPG. Command troops, fight dudes, serve kings or conquer them. It's very bare-bones, but as a result is also very, very open. However, I only payed $10 for it, and it may not seem as appealing at full price.

That's what I've got for you just running down my Steam library (and avoiding the obvious stuff). There are plenty of newer games that would satisfy your graphical itch a bit more, but I'm a cheap bastard who refuses to pay full price.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Super Fan posted:

I always say the best way to learn to swim is to be tossed head first into the deep end of the pool.

Get E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
If I wait the half year or whatever for EYE to go on sale, will I have missed something magical, or will it still be pretty alright for running through on single player?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

zachol posted:

If I wait the half year or whatever for EYE to go on sale, will I have missed something magical

By then it'll probably be fixed so yeah, you will have.

Diquebutt
Feb 17, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Super Fan posted:

Shooter: TF2
RPG: The Witcher 2, heavily modded Fallout: New Vegas
Action Adventure: Beyond Good and Evil, Hitman: Blood Money, Witcher 2:getin:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Diquebutt posted:

heavily modded Fallout: New Vegas

Outside of texture packs and maybe weather mods, I think it's advisable to play the game vanilla first time through. It's a very good game.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
For gamepads, if you can still get your hands on one of the genuine Sega Saturn USB controllers (now there are tons of knock-offs), it is the best gamepad.

Of course it doesn't have sticks, though.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

40 OZ posted:

For gamepads, if you can still get your hands on one of the genuine Sega Saturn USB controllers (now there are tons of knock-offs), it is the best gamepad.

Some of the knockoffs can be quite good as well. I bought one of them when they first appeared on eBay, and mine is identical with my Saturn controller. You can find them around 14 EUR shipped, so it might worth a risk.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Just getting into Silent Storm, should I play Jagged Alliance or XCOM next?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

After finally upgrading after 4 and a half years, I can at last run the Crysis games maxed out. Theyre just so...beautiful.

Now to go through all those games that I bought on a whim during the steam sales.

Oh and Super Fan, another RPG you should really give a go is Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Make sure you get the fan patches though, its awfully buggy with the official versions, but its one of those classic games that never got the popularity it deserved. Bit of a system hog in its day but any modern gaming pc will have zero trouble with it.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

-Red Faction: Armageddon: I really like this, and it's a shame it got panned. It's your average corridor shooter but it has building destruction and a host of interesting weaponry.

It got panned because it is a step-down from Red Faction: Guerrilla, which had the same style of destruction, but you got a free-roam game to blow poo poo up not linear corridors/caves.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Super Fan posted:

First off, you should reallllly invest in a nice monitor (even if it's a small one), seeing as all the wonderful things your PC can now do will be kind of lost if the video ends up blurrily farting out of a lovely vga display. You're not going to get any kind of hi-def crispness that makes PC gaming worthwhile these days without a decent monitor with DVI.

One reason I'm saying this is because Bastion seems right up your alley. It was released on steam a couple of days ago and it is total video game nectar. The writing is brilliant (like, actually good, not 'good for a game'. It was written by Greg Kasavin, who was editor of Gamespot back when it had integrity) and witty, with this Kaufman-esque third person narrator who comments on your every action, the gameplay is straight out of the SNES era, only tightened and polished and brought into the 21st century, the music is going to make me want to buy the soundtrack by the time I complete it and then there's the art. The art! I can't imagine playing this on an LCD screen connected via VGA, let alone on a radioactive old CRT monitor, because all the hi-res art is just so fantastic. It's the kind of game where you could screenshot it at any moment and happily set that screenshot as your desktop wallpaper.
What I'm trying to say here is buy Bastion because if nothing else it will compel you to get a decent computer screen.
But yeah Bastion is one of the best indie games I've played in a long, long, time.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 18, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Does the monitor's video input really make that big of a difference? I've never seen a direct comparison of VGA versus HDMI(ie same image on the same screen) so I had no idea. I'm stuck on a 1280x1024 monitor with VGA only for now and I was going to upgrade as soon as possible but that was mainly just for the resolution, I didn't think twice about how HDMI or DVI might help.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Outside of texture packs and maybe weather mods, I think it's advisable to play the game vanilla first time through. It's a very good game.

I agree with this. I played about 1/4 of the game before the good mods came out, the next 1/4 of the game with cool looking weather and texture mods, and the next 1/4 of the game with a poo poo-ton of awesome mods.

Then one of my 30+ mods started causing constant crashes and I was too demoralized to finish the last 1/4 of the game. So yeah, I advise keeping it simple for the first playthrough because it really is fantastic.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Does the monitor's video input really make that big of a difference? I've never seen a direct comparison of VGA versus HDMI(ie same image on the same screen) so I had no idea. I'm stuck on a 1280x1024 monitor with VGA only for now and I was going to upgrade as soon as possible but that was mainly just for the resolution, I didn't think twice about how HDMI or DVI might help.

I have a 23" Asus monitor hooked up with DVI at home and the 19" version of that same monitor hooked up to my work laptop with VGA at my job site, and the work monitor is noticeably more blurry. It's not the sort of thing I'd probably notice if that were my only monitor, but next to my laptop's LCD screen and my home monitor it stands out.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Super Fan posted:

STALKER ticks all of these boxes, and CoP and SHoC (the two best) have been on sale a number of times for $5.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Three things:

1) VGA is still analog, so cable length/quality/etc actually matters and affects the quality of the image. rear end cables? rear end picture. Wasn't as much of a problem when screens were only 320x240, but when you're pushing out upwards of two million pixels, per image, sixty times a second, it begins to become a problem. Digital connections like HDMI and DVI literally give no fucks about cable quality beyond "is the cable openly damaged and breaking connection".

2) VGA doesn't have the broadcast bandwidth to carry certain resolutions. Remember, the 15-pin VGA connector was originally designed with carrying a 640x480 image in mind; "proper" high-def images are now roughly seven times that size. VGA absolutely cannot manage anything above 1920x1080, and I forget if it can even manage that. 1280x1024 is more or less where VGA's capacity caps out.

3) Related to the above two: most video cards no longer have VGA-out ports. Some motherboards still do (to grandfather old displays in), but even those are disappearing. The VGA slot will likely disappear entirely in a few years.

You can read this thread for more info:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494

The TLDR is, monitor inputs make a big difference and if you haven't yet made the jump from VGA, you probably want to consider doing so.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

whiteshark12 posted:

It got panned because it is a step-down from Red Faction: Guerrilla, which had the same style of destruction, but you got a free-roam game to blow poo poo up not linear corridors/caves.

There was a specific reason for that - they could only have three out of four of:

-A Working Game
-A Built Up Mars
-Free-Roam
-Building Destruction

And they chose to drop the Free-Roam.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
Custom 360 pads rule, got this:

Tactical 12 star shotty round for d-pad :smug:

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

I have a controller with the old D-pad and, while it sucks, it wasn't so bad I couldn't play NES/SNES games. I actually went through all the original Ninja Gaidens with it.

I have one of the old 360 controllers with the weird dpad and it's not awful, it's just that you accidentally hit diagonals once in awhile. In most modern games that's not a big deal because they barely use the dpad but in old school SNES/etc poo poo it can be really annoying. I have an old Logitech Wireless Wingman that I bust out for that stuff anyway though.

• Locked thread