Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Surfingelectrode posted:

Just got this... The Flaming Lips with Lightning Bolt.

I'm looking forward to this being available in the UK, I got the last two EPs but was a bit disappointed with he colours I got, hopefully I'll get a cool looking one like your one this time (I bet I don't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Jerry Cotton posted:

When you buy a new "stylus" aren't you essentially replacing all the moving parts in the system?

Think about this for a minute.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

CPL593H posted:

I think they're talking about the MM/MC cartridge, and I think you're referencing the larger mechanical motion of the turntable and the arm. If I have that wrong I'll eat my hat but the cart has "motion."

Also, this leads me to realize.. was switching from a MC to MM and seeing a huge volume increase due to just the design of the coil vs magnet and not.. whatever the hell witchcraft I was imagining?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

^^^^ I might be wrong but don't even high-output MC's tend to have weaker output than most MM and MI designs? So, probably yes.

CPL593H posted:

System meaning the pick-up. I guess I've been shopping in German web stores too much.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Jerry Cotton posted:

^^^^ I might be wrong but don't even high-output MC's tend to have weaker output than most MM and MI designs? So, probably yes.
Yeah, just never really thought about it, still a hifi novice. Thanks.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vintersorg posted:

Not too sure, it might have been someone overcharging as I just bought it now for $80US. We don't get Hot Topic up here in Canada though, they sell records there?

Hot Topic is a pretty silly store, but some of them do sell vinyl. Awesomely enough, they also sell classic albums freshly put on vinyl at discounted prices.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

Hot Topic is a pretty silly store, but some of them do sell vinyl. Awesomely enough, they also sell classic albums freshly put on vinyl at discounted prices.

Any decent record store will also have those albums. I'm not trying to give you poo poo, but I think it's better to encourage people to shop at locally owned record shops. They not only need it more, but they actually appreciate you shopping there. This is why I often name drop the places in my area. They all need and want your business. Chain stores at the mall couldn't care less if you died in the parking lot.

And if you're ever in Cambridge, MA or Providence, RI check out the Armageddon Shop.

Yes, I worked in a plug and I don't even care, that store is awesome.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 16, 2011

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Any decent record store will also have those albums. I'm not trying to give you poo poo, but I think it's better to encourage people to shop at locally owned record shops. They not only need it more, but they actually appreciate you shopping there. This is why I often name drop the places in my area. They all need and want your business. Chain stores at the mall couldn't care less if you died in the parking lot.

And if you're ever in Cambridge, MA or Providence, RI check out the Armageddon Shop.

I agree with the provision that once in a while you can get records for 3 - 4 dollars at Hot Topic. I'm in Canada, so it doesn't apply to me, but I've known of some ridiculous 80% clearance there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CPL593H posted:

The "We're at the mall, and the Girlfriend is trying on clothes, and I need somewhere to go that doesn't have me waiting on a giant cushion with awful music playing, and the closest store within 'come back, I need your opinion text' range is Hot Topic" clause comes into effect here.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I'm having some trouble with my Numark TT1625 Direct drive turntables, and I was wondering if you guys had any insight.

I've been getting this very loud, distorted hum whenever certain bass freqs are played at even a moderate volume (seems to be around 60hz). If I cut the bass just a bit I can turn it up much louder, but the low end has to be cut enough to noticeably effect the song. I also get this distorted humming effect just from putting down the needle on a non-playing record.

The turntables are correctly grounded (from what I can tell) to my awful awful Numark iM1 mixer. The mixer runs via RCA into my studio monitors. The monitors sound fine when not used on these turntables.

I've tried plugging everything's power directly into the wall sockets, then everything on surge protectors, etc.

Also the stylus is brand new, replacements of the factory ones. The old pair produce the same humming.

Ive seen some posts on other forums suggesting to touch a wire from my ground on my mixer to my metal tonearm on one of my turntables to see if an ungrounded tonearm could cause the humming. Would this be a good idea?

Maguro fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 16, 2011

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Vintersorg posted:

We don't get Hot Topic up here in Canada though,

What? yes we do

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maguro posted:

I'm having some trouble with my Numark TT1625 Direct drive turntables, and I was wondering if you guys had any insight.

I've been getting this very loud, distorted hum whenever certain bass freqs are played at even a moderate volume (seems to be around 60hz). If I cut the bass just a bit I can turn it up much louder, but the low end has to be cut enough to noticeably effect the song. I also get this distorted humming effect just from putting down the needle on a non-playing record.

The turntables are correctly grounded (from what I can tell) to my awful awful Numark iM1 mixer. The mixer runs via RCA into my studio monitors. The monitors sound fine when not used on these turntables.

I've tried plugging everything's power directly into the wall sockets, then everything on surge protectors, etc.

Also the stylus is brand new, replacements of the factory ones. The old pair produce the same humming.

Ive seen some posts on other forums suggesting to touch a wire from my ground on my mixer to my metal tonearm on one of my turntables to see if an ungrounded tonearm could cause the humming. Would this be a good idea?

Are you playing records with the dust cover still on? If it's one of those hinged covers that opens half way that can still make a sound at moderate volume, so slide it off.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Millstone posted:

What? yes we do

Maybe in the bigger cities but Winnipeg ain't got poo poo.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
Maybe it's not "vinyl" but it's not every day I find one of these sitting buried in a Goodwill. Woah!

Not very rare but I still think it's pretty cool if the signature is authentic. Xavier was the man.

uncloudy day fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 16, 2011

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Are you playing records with the dust cover still on? If it's one of those hinged covers that opens half way that can still make a sound at moderate volume, so slide it off.

Nah I dont have a dust cover.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maguro posted:

Nah I dont have a dust cover.

Well I'm out of ideas.

As is the tradition of the thread here's some stuff I just got:

The Beastie Boys-Cooky Puss maxi single
The Hives-Uptempo Venomous Poison(this is "an unoffical release" with some live tracks)
Crass-Christ:the Album
Siouxsie and the Banshees-Peel Sessions 1977/1978
Bauhaus-Burning from the Inside(reissue)
Gaye Bykers on Acid-Everythang's Groovy

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Maguro posted:

humming
How loud are you playing your music?

How close are your speakers to the turntable?

What is the turntable standing on?

sounds like feedback to me.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe in the bigger cities but Winnipeg ain't got poo poo.

I think the only one is in downtown Toronto a.k.a the only part of Canada that matters to people from Toronto.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Socket Ryanist posted:

This. I had this problem when my amp was on the same table as my turntable or right under it, so I moved some stuff around and now the amp's on a shelf under the table, but not touching the table the turntable's on.

Make sure its not your speakers too, hook them up to something else, mess around with sources to diagnose.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Socket Ryanist posted:

Not absurdly loud, but the speakers are right behind the decks. I tried moving the speakers away while the decks were on but didn't notice a change in the humming.

The decks stand on plastic feet that came with them. It certainly sounds like low-end feedback when I hear it but I have no idea of the cause.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The fact that it only happens when you turned it up leaves me with no other plausible explanation besides speaker feedback.

If you can't fix this with placement, you can always record your vinyl with the speakers off and then play back the recording (with sufficiently good tools to do so). No feedback problem then!

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

I use these decks to practice DJing at home, so I can't play without monitors. I'll try moving the speakers a bit more.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Feedback can manifest itself as pumping on some systems which I defeated with the low-pass filter on my amp.

uncloudy day posted:

Not very rare but I still think it's pretty cool if the signature is authentic. Xavier was the man.

This is awesome, It's a good track too.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 17, 2011

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Ron Burgundy posted:

Feedback can manifest itself as pumping on some systems which I defeated with the low-pass filter on my amp.

Yeah I've been cutting the bass a good bit to defeat it but it makes the tunes sounds like trash.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Try putting the speakers on a different surface than the turntables, or if they have to be on the same surface, put something very heavy underneath the turntables (like a big slab of stone or something)

If the speakers and turntables are both sitting on the same piece of wood or thin metal, vibrations will transmit very easily.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

I do have some soundproof foam under the monitors, but I may have to move them regardless. Thanks for the tips.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The lo-pass on this old Marantz amp could be for sub-audible frequencies, it has a listed cut off frequency, but it's all the way in the shed and it's the middle of the night. I cannot hear the difference, but I know it works, because it kills pumping. It's the amp for my projector now, and film sound is a veritable cornucopia of unwanted frequencies.

Also, all of my feedback problems disappeared the second I went from a plasticy 70's mid-level thing to the brick shithouse that is a 1200.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 17, 2011

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer

uncloudy day posted:

Maybe it's not "vinyl" but it's not every day I find one of these sitting buried in a Goodwill. Woah!

Just want to say that this rules and I hope it's real.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

(click for bigger making)

Plus, an unpictured Swayzak single in a paper sleeve, and a lovely condition Popeye record that I'm probably just going to throw away (the cardboard is held together with duct tape, even).

The kid records are all pristine, and they were free - a guy was just giving them away on Craigslist, while the rest were a buck a piece at Goodwill. They didn't charge me for the Swayzak one, though.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I keep an eye out for the Hannah Barberra records. They've got a few 60s releases that are actually pretty sick surf records

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Farts Domino posted:

I keep an eye out for the Hannah Barberra records. They've got a few 60s releases that are actually pretty sick surf records

Which ones? The guy had some Huckleberry Hound, but I figured, you know, it's loving Huckleberry Hound.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Red posted:

Which ones? The guy had some Huckleberry Hound, but I figured, you know, it's loving Huckleberry Hound.
Here's a good link that I've never read before http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/08/the-vinyl-side-.html

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Farts Domino posted:

Here's a good link that I've never read before http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/08/the-vinyl-side-.html

Huh. That's interesting as hell. What've you gotten your hands on so far?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
If you live in Boston/Eastern MA and you're not going to this on Sunday then you should just stop posting in this thread: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100562693366203

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK, so I posted about this in CineD, but CPL593H directed me this way for more information, and after a cursory Google, I became quite aware of how far out of my element I am, so I need some help.

My mom dug up an old turntable of hers today while she was cleaning, and gifted it to me, so I want to get it in working order. It's a Kenwood from probably around 25-30 years ago, and searching the model number hasn't gotten me any more information than I had before. I know I need to replace the stylus, and possibly the cartridge, but I don't know how to go about doing that, aside from "buy them". Anyone either have one of these, or experience with one of these, or anything that could help me out?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
What's the model number?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Burgundy posted:

What's the model number?

KD-35R.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

OK, so I posted about this in CineD, but CPL593H directed me this way for more information, and after a cursory Google, I became quite aware of how far out of my element I am, so I need some help.

My mom dug up an old turntable of hers today while she was cleaning, and gifted it to me, so I want to get it in working order. It's a Kenwood from probably around 25-30 years ago, and searching the model number hasn't gotten me any more information than I had before. I know I need to replace the stylus, and possibly the cartridge, but I don't know how to go about doing that, aside from "buy them". Anyone either have one of these, or experience with one of these, or anything that could help me out?

A photo of the cartridge would probably be useful (unless it has straight-out text it can be identified by). I assume it's a T4P mount which is bad because it limits your choices but also very good because you don't have to give a poo poo about alignment or tracking force or any of that stuff.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Yup, it's a T4P table, which is very good. Basically T4P or P-mount was a standard set up in the 70's to allow people to enjoy records as quickly as possibly with the best possible quality (within reason) without having to tinker with settings. You just plugged in the cartridge and it's ready to go. The downside is you are somewhat limited with cartridge choices, but there are some good ones out there particularly the Audio-Technica models.

You can go two ways from here. If the cartridge is still there and looks good (they are rarely broken), you can get a replacement stylus. Google tells me the original cart fitted to that table was a V-62 and it takes N-62 styluses.

If you want to replace them look at something like the Audio-Technica AT92E, they usually go for about 30 bucks, it's pretty decent for the cash considering a replacement original stylus would be $10-20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yup, it's a T4P table, which is very good. Basically T4P or P-mount was a standard set up in the 70's to allow people to enjoy records as quickly as possibly with the best possible quality (within reason) without having to tinker with settings. You just plugged in the cartridge and it's ready to go. The downside is you are somewhat limited with cartridge choices, but there are some good ones out there particularly the Audio-Technica models.

You can go two ways from here. If the cartridge is still there and looks good (they are rarely broken), you can get a replacement stylus. Google tells me the original cart fitted to that table was a V-62 and it takes N-62 styluses.

If you want to replace them look at something like the Audio-Technica AT92E, they usually go for about 30 bucks, it's pretty decent for the cash considering a replacement original stylus would be $10-20.

OK, I think the replacement cartridge is probably the way I'll go, just because it's not much more expensive than the stylus, and better safe than sorry. Is the installation easy? It kinda looks like a "pop the old one out, pop the new one in" kind of thing, is there anything I should worry about?