Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

babydonthurtme posted:

Yeah, pretty much. David Gaughran has a long post talking about their surcharge, which is a separate charge they even used to apply to free books. I'm sure there might be regional issues wrt ebook delivery or licensing (at least for the bigger publishers), but it doesn't account for the huge cut they are taking.

In other news, here's one reason why no reviews or just one or two middling ones could be better than four/five star reviews on Amazon: this terrible book and others like it have really good reviews that don't at all match the actual story's quality. If you look in comments, you'll see a couple readers saying they're starting to distrust reviews for self-pubbed books because of this.

The amazon reviews for that book all read like they're written by the same person. They don't sound like reviews, they sound like book blurbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well, got my first book self-edit done today. About to send it to a few trusted friends for beta reading, and depending on how that goes, should be sending it out for professional editing in a month or so. Pretty excited, though self-editing took way, way longer than I'd anticipated. A good learning experience, however.

Back to writing book 2. 22k words in so far, but I've been so focused on editing it'll probably take me a bit to get back into the groove.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.

Mortanis posted:

Well, got my first book self-edit done today. About to send it to a few trusted friends for beta reading, and depending on how that goes, should be sending it out for professional editing in a month or so. Pretty excited, though self-editing took way, way longer than I'd anticipated. A good learning experience, however.

Back to writing book 2. 22k words in so far, but I've been so focused on editing it'll probably take me a bit to get back into the groove.

Congrats!

I had to take a break for months before I went back to my second book (well, being in my last semester of college didn't help). About halfway done with my second book now.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

What's the best way to seperate paragraphs in which the narrative switches? I was thinking of just having

But would a line break be better in some instances?

MattDaddy
Apr 10, 2006

You can do it. Run Mr. Pug, run.

justcola posted:

What's the best way to seperate paragraphs in which the narrative switches? I was thinking of just having

If you put a line break, won't that make it jump pages on the e-readers?

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.

justcola posted:

Use the asterisks.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Yeah, I used a row of asterisks in my book and they showed up fine even on Kindle's notoriously finicky formatting.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
I took some advice from other I am writing what I call K23 Sides Stories, very short stories that show the everyday goings on in my world.
I've posted the first two:
The Tale of Mr. Alumooney
Bedtime for Elves
Do people do anything similar?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Sorry, newbie here, but I've been exploring Kindle Direct Publishing for self-publishing an e-comic. Naturally I want to keep as low a price as possible to attract buyers, but it seems that for an e-comic of any reasonable image quality Amazon's delivery fees would make it unviable.

Let's say I charge the minimum possible of £1.49 and the comic is 10 megabytes (what I assume is acceptable quality for 22 illustrated pages), that's £1.00 of that £1.49 gone in delivery. From what's left over I get 34 pence profit per sale. Is this the best deal available on the market, or can I do better somewhere else?

I'm assuming above, of course, that delivery fees apply irrespective of whether something is transferred to the buyer over wiFi or 3G. Am I right?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I just put up a novel on the Amazon Kindle store. I have no idea if it'll sell well at all, since I don't really have $$ to do much proper marketing.

But gently caress it, I love writing and I just wanna get some stuff out there, see if it's worth it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I thought it had been processing for ages but I hadn't finalized the costing, sheesh.

In the sleepy villages and old mining towns in the north of England walk Oscar and Apples. Two drug dealing brothers who live in the shadow of a great hill, growing a field of cannabis that could supply the whole county. As summer draws to a close and they prepare to collect the illicit crop, their numerous enemies begin to plot and scheme to bring the brothers down. Who will harvest the marijuana fields? Who will win the heart of the most beautiful woman in town? Which brother is taller? Find out by reading 'OSCAR AND APPLES'!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005FCKIKU

boom

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
I quite like the cover. Glad we could help deciding on the final version. Adding to lists.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
(nothing to see here)

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 2, 2013

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

That's a really cool cover. Does it fit on the Kindle? Seems pretty tall.

Anywho, I'll add links.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

FingerbangMisfire posted:

That's a really cool cover. Does it fit on the Kindle? Seems pretty tall.

Anywho, I'll add links.

it does. It's 500x1280. But yeah, my friend, the illustrator, when he showed me that cover? I just about died. I've never seen a cooler cover on a book, aside from some of the covers for Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 17, 2011

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Exioce posted:

Sorry, newbie here, but I've been exploring Kindle Direct Publishing for self-publishing an e-comic. Naturally I want to keep as low a price as possible to attract buyers, but it seems that for an e-comic of any reasonable image quality Amazon's delivery fees would make it unviable.

Let's say I charge the minimum possible of £1.49 and the comic is 10 megabytes (what I assume is acceptable quality for 22 illustrated pages), that's £1.00 of that £1.49 gone in delivery. From what's left over I get 34 pence profit per sale. Is this the best deal available on the market, or can I do better somewhere else?

I'm assuming above, of course, that delivery fees apply irrespective of whether something is transferred to the buyer over wiFi or 3G. Am I right?

how are you formatting the images? When I exported Zombies of the World to Kindle, I had a hard time trying to figure out how large to make images.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I also put up The Dream Metropolis on Smashbooks as well, if you could get that link in there!

MattDaddy
Apr 10, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

In a city of dreams, the dreams themselves create another reality divorced from our own. For a few individuals, coping with their real lives bleeds into the city itself, twisting and distorting it. They do not know that they dream of each other, their imaginations intertwined.

Built from a project that would exploit their dreams, what would happen if one of them wanted to wake up?

link to the above

Absolutely love the cover and the title. Good luck!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

:drat:

That Cover!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Thanks dudes. Let's hope the cover is enough to generate interest somewhere. I don't have any $$ to market it properly. =[

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Twitter, social network bombing and book review blogs is pretty much all any of us have done (though I did buy an ad on SA, which was neat), so I wouldn't worry about that. You can succeed without spending a dime on marketing. Just need to self-promote.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Twitter, social network bombing and book review blogs is pretty much all any of us have done (though I did buy an ad on SA, which was neat), so I wouldn't worry about that. You can succeed without spending a dime on marketing. Just need to self-promote.

Book review blogs? Like which ones?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

speaking of promotion, what have you guys done for middle and long term marketing? I've sent out the press releases, requests for reviews and mentioned my book on social networks but I want to keep reaching out to new people but I'm not sure how to keep promoting it.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

Book review blogs? Like which ones?

Big Al's Books and Pals is great. Daily Cheap Reads as well. Those are just off the top of my head.

clockworkjoe posted:

speaking of promotion, what have you guys done for middle and long term marketing?

I haven't thought about it much, honestly. I've mostly just tried to maintain a strong web presence.

MattDaddy
Apr 10, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

speaking of promotion, what have you guys done for middle and long term marketing? I've sent out the press releases, requests for reviews and mentioned my book on social networks but I want to keep reaching out to new people but I'm not sure how to keep promoting it.

To me, posting on forums seems to be the best long term strategy. You could article write under a pen name or something and put those articles on places like hubpages or your own "pen name / book review" blog, but be aware you will need to fill that kind of stuff with other content as well or people will know it's really just you spamming your book and move on.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

clockworkjoe posted:

how are you formatting the images? When I exported Zombies of the World to Kindle, I had a hard time trying to figure out how large to make images.

Right now I just have the first page as a jpeg file, not even coloured in. When I resize it down to something that would fit within the Kindle size of 600 x 800 pixels, I get a file of 111 kilobytes. I suppose that's not too bad, as 22 such pages would come in at less than 3 megabytes. How much the colour would add to the file size though I can't say until I get my hands on a completed page (which should be today).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

The Dream Metropolis

Amazon posted:

Pricing information not available.

Smashwords lists it for $3.99, though.

(And, I'm going to have to second the "great cover" comments here.)

Also, FingerbangMisfire, I spotted something odd in the OP:

quote:

[http://www.amazon.com/Unearthed-Des...10139007&sr=1-1]Unearthed Destiny by Rick Ferraro[/url]

Don't know if it's a forum hiccup, but refreshing the page didn't work, so I figure I might as well point it out.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Thanks man. Will fix.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

vilkacis posted:

Smashwords lists it for $3.99, though.

(And, I'm going to have to second the "great cover" comments here.)

Also, FingerbangMisfire, I spotted something odd in the OP:

Don't know if it's a forum hiccup, but refreshing the page didn't work, so I figure I might as well point it out.

I have no idea what's up with Amazon, honestly. It's $3.99 there for what it's worth, just follow the Smashwords link for now.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
What do you all consider more important: Editing or a good cover?

Professional editing will help with narration, picking up plot holes, finding slow parts as well as grammar and comma problems. Professional editing could change a good book to a great book, or at least help make a mediocre book hurt less. It only helps for people that pick up your book, though - it might help them to buy more of your books, but it only matters once they've been hooked.

A good cover will catch more eyes, though. It helps with that initial pull in, hopefully converting a "maybe buyer" into a purchase. Sadly, a lot of people seem to pass on a book with a mediocre cover, even if the blurb is interesting and it might be something they might otherwise buy, because a mediocre cover says "unprofessional" to them. It's sad people look that way, but true none the less.

Put another way, if you had enough cash to cover only one, which do you think would A: produce better sales, and B: make you feel better about your work?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Both are very important, but I would go with one that's not only cheaper but easier to acquire: A good cover.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

If the editor would absolutely 100% catch the errors and was guaranteed to make my book better, I'd go with the editor. But I doubt that's the case. On the other hand, I know that working with an artist, I can 100% get a cover I love provided the guy listens to me and doesn't suck.

So I would probably go with the cover. Not because I'm cocksure about my writing, but because I have a fascination with how an artist my interpret it.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Cover and description will net you the short term sales, editing will net you the long term sales due to reviews, word of mouth, sequel purchases, etc.

So both if you hope to continue to sell books in larger quantities, with each relying on the other.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Hey, you cheated :saddowns:

EDIT: I am myself a cheater since I have an editor who works for free, making the cover choice easy.

FingerbangMisfire fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 20, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mortanis posted:

What do you all consider more important: Editing or a good cover?

Professional editing will help with narration, picking up plot holes, finding slow parts as well as grammar and comma problems. Professional editing could change a good book to a great book, or at least help make a mediocre book hurt less. It only helps for people that pick up your book, though - it might help them to buy more of your books, but it only matters once they've been hooked.

A good cover will catch more eyes, though. It helps with that initial pull in, hopefully converting a "maybe buyer" into a purchase. Sadly, a lot of people seem to pass on a book with a mediocre cover, even if the blurb is interesting and it might be something they might otherwise buy, because a mediocre cover says "unprofessional" to them. It's sad people look that way, but true none the less.

Put another way, if you had enough cash to cover only one, which do you think would A: produce better sales, and B: make you feel better about your work?

Why would you sell your work short? Editor, editor, editor. Do you want to be known as a lovely writer with good covers?

The_Doc
Feb 18, 2010
So like, I have a novella live on amazon.com for $2.99. They wouldn't let me charge less (.99$ was what I was wanting), because I'm just a small-fry self-published no-name rear end in a top hat. Or something to that effect. Anyways. It's titled American Idle, and I'd love ideas for a better cover than what I have. Link is here:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Idle-ebook/dp/B0057OBSZA/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Also maybe some ideas on free publicity?

Edit: Somehow I missed the other pricing thing. I fixed it so that the cost is $.99. Thanks for the heads up. I shoulda known I missed SOMETHING.

The_Doc fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 20, 2011

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

You can definitely charge $.99. I charge $.99 for all my shorts.

What is this no less than $2.99 madness you speak of?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

You can definitely charge $.99. I charge $.99 for all my shorts.

What is this no less than $2.99 madness you speak of?

When I was working out the details of my book before publishing it, Amazon refused to let me go under $2.99. But I wasn't planning on selling a 260pp novel for any less than $3.99 at the moment.

There wasn't an option to go cheaper.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Doctor Zero posted:

Why would you sell your work short? Editor, editor, editor. Do you want to be known as a lovely writer with good covers?

See, that's how I feel as well. I'm actually kinda surprised at the number of replies about the cover. It's not just about sales for me. Naturally I'd like to make money, but I feel I'd be more rewarded, personally, by having an editor tackle my stuff.

Yes, if you can do both, then you should do both. I'm looking at maybe not being able to do both, and feel editing would be my best bet, but wanted to see what others thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

When I was working out the details of my book before publishing it, Amazon refused to let me go under $2.99. But I wasn't planning on selling a 260pp novel for any less than $3.99 at the moment.

There wasn't an option to go cheaper.

You can do $.99 if you opt for the 35% royalty instead of 70%. Otherwise, yeah, you're right.

• Locked thread