Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Glazius posted:

Was Aeiou even trained in unarmed fighting? That's an amazing come-from-behind win if not.
I'll direct you to year one of Gemclod and Enzer's first kill. It was an amazing coincidence that it happened, but not unheard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

After the Gnome cut off the arm, he could have just run away and ran laps around the arena and won by bleeding out.

Instead he got punched in the brain. That's loving hilarious.

Aeiou stopped bleeding after some time, actually. Fatty Bulgestar survived for quite some time after getting his hit in. Not sure why he wasn't able to land a counter, though. Definitely a case of extremely poor luck.

One severed limb isn't usually enough to kill a human-sized creature, though it may be enough to kill a kobold or smaller.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Just wanted to speak up against the idea of showing any more information about the fighters, I like the mystery.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I like the spirit of the idea of having to rely on what is shown in the fight reports. Essentially we just get a seat in the crowd.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Given that it's a moot point for this tourney, as the knowledge is only a mystery for the first round anyway, I support showing weapon data for future first rounds-- simply in order to put the first rounds in the same betting league as subsequent rounds.

I mean-- just look at the Dies Horribly fight. Merely knowing what Dies Horribly had been able to do once before created thousands of dwarfbucks of bets on BOTH SIDES.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if this extra data was available for the first round ONLY, meaning that upgraded equipment in future rounds could still be held at a mystery, given that at the very least we've seen what they've done once before.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Iunnrais posted:

I mean-- just look at the Dies Horribly fight. Merely knowing what Dies Horribly had been able to do once before created thousands of dwarfbucks of bets on BOTH SIDES.

Having bet (and lost) all of my Dorfbux on the Dies Horribly fight, I can say with absolute certainty that it had nothing to do with Dies Horribly having competed previously. I would assume many people bet on him simply because "BATTLE ROYALE WINNER".

I bet all my money on the fight because it was a honeypot. rickvoid made an enormous amount of money from the (I would argue lucky, it wasn't a particularly impressive performance) Battle Royale win. I assume many others did the same.

I don't see any real benefit in showing equipment. Just because it's visible on a gladiator doesn't mean we should know ahead of time. If you were a spectator in an arena, you wouldn't have a gear list to judge gladiators by.

Just a list of gladiators.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't mean to start a controversy, I was just thinking that there should be some way to save yourself from betting on a serpent man with a blue pick in the first round. I didn't bet on that fight, but it was so ridiculous that it made me wonder about first round bets vs every other round bet.

After the first round is done, you have an idea how each fighter is rolling. In the first round, though, it is basically a lottery. Every other round involves strategy. I get the problems with showing gear in the first round, but I feel bad for anyone who bet on a serpent with a blue pick or an ant with a blue helm. Maybe there's a middle ground and you only show the single most expensive piece of gear the gladiator owns in the first round. If there's a tie, you pick one at random. Then, all gear isn't shown, but you can at least weed out the gimmicks.

Edit: I know all my proposals mean more work, and I'm sorry. Also I am bad at typing on an iPad.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 18, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey, gotta fill the thread with something in between updates.

And yes, I'm still doing awfully on the betting front. Zero wins out of 5 bets. :smith:

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

jackyl posted:

In the first round, though, it is basically a lottery.

Hah, I like it like this, though. If everyone had "good" builds then it wouldn't be nearly as much fun!

I salute all of you who did something more creative than 'mid-large creature with axe/sword and hardly any armor but lots of skills', even if that build ended up being such a terrible idea as 'I'm gonna buy Adamantine in round one and then NEVER upgrade!'

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, I don't like giving out more info than we've already seen; it really weights things in favor of people who, like me, are dirty testers.

If people wanna volunteer information, that's one thing, but I think otherwise a lot of fun lies in anticipation.

Especially in the first round, when crazy untested builds haven't been winnowed at all. It's more fun for me, at least, and if others hate betting ignorant... well, there's all other rounds, too.

Clanrat
Jan 24, 2010

Glazius posted:

Was Aeiou even trained in unarmed fighting? That's an amazing come-from-behind win if not.

Nope. Aeiou is just awesome like that.

Goatie
Jul 8, 2010
After about a week of being away, my match is up next.

Oh god oh god oh god :ohdear:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I know the feeling. My Smatru is also coming right up... possibly in the next set, but possibly not, depending on whether he does two or three next post.

I'm certainly worried. I have a very... shall we say, unbalanced build. It can work, but after learning a bit more, I think I could have done it better... we'll see.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Oh jeez, the next three matches are going to have Kobolds in them.
:black101: Go Team Kobold!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'm anxious for my first match, but it won't be for a few weeks at this pace.

Loving this thread, outstanding work again, Vox, Jazzimus, and the rest!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round One, Match Twenty:siren:

Match Twenty, Mr Buckles (goatface) vs. Belbez Evon (Goatie)

Mr Buckles the kobold is armed with a steel pick. She, yes, she, is also clad in some paltry leather armor and a leather cap. Belbez Evon the dwarf has an iron war hammer and layered chain mail and leather torso armor. Does Mr Buckles have what it takes to overcome a dwarf that weighs easily two and a half times what she does?

The battle opens! Mr Buckles stumbles out of the starting gate, and Belbez is lucky enough to claim the first strike. The kobold dodges, then attacks- but Belbez also evades the strike. The dwarf's second attempt is no closer to hitting the kobold than his first.

Suddenly, Mr Buckles charges at Belbez, simultaneously swinging her steel pick! She sinks the weapon directly into the surprised dwarf's chest, puncturing a lung and ravaging Belbez's vascular system! The dwarf gasps in pain, but unfortunately for Mr Buckles, all is not well. The kobold managed to knock herself to the ground against the dwarf!

Fortunately for Mr Buckles, Belbez is slow to recover from the blow and the kobold is able to get back to her feet. But Belbez knocks her right back down with a charge of his own! Mr Buckles weathers a hammer blow to the chest, a kick to the teeth, and a hammer blow to the belly, then stumbles to her feet, still very much in fighting condition! Belbez charges once more, but the kobold nimbly leaps away, avoiding another round of punishment!

Now Mr Buckles is on the offensive. Her first strike misses the evasive dwarf, who attempts an ineffectual counter. Her second strike is accompanied by another ill-advised blitz- this strike misses as well, and the charge leaves Mr Buckles completely stunned and vulnerable!

Belbez smashes the kobold's foot with his hammer, utterly shattering dozens of tiny bones. A second blow to the leg is enough to put Mr Buckles to sleep, and Belbez cleans things up with two quick taps to the base of the skull. Belbez Evon, clearly in pain and pale from blood loss, has won! Mr Buckles threw away her massive advantage with that final, doomed charge, and it cost her dearly.

Combat Log

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
And poor SynthOrange drops to 0-7 in first round betting. :(

I can understand losing the bets on the kobolds, serpentman, and dark gnomes; those were underdogs that promised a large (albeit unlikely) payout. The bets on the trolls (especially the one that lost to the gremlin) are more difficult to explain.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Come on Kobolds! You can do it!!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Iunnrais posted:

Come on Kobolds! You can do it!!

I hope not! :ese:

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Jazzimus Prime posted:

And poor SynthOrange drops to 0-7 in first round betting. :(

I can understand losing the bets on the kobolds, serpentman, and dark gnomes; those were underdogs that promised a large (albeit unlikely) payout. The bets on the trolls (especially the one that lost to the gremlin) are more difficult to explain.

It's all part of his master plan. Get everyone to believe he only picks losers, so as to generate a large chunk of money betting against him in the latter fights so he can clean up huge, classic hustle.

I'm on to you SynthOrange.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Cripes, that's starting to look like my betting record in this year's Zoofights.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clearly my tactic of betting on the most adorable looking fighters is not paying off.

Goatie
Jul 8, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Match Twenty, Mr Buckles (goatface) vs. Belbez Evon (Goatie)
Please don't be bad please don't be bad...

Vox Nihili posted:

Suddenly, Mr Buckles charges at Belbez, simultaneously swinging her steel pick! She sinks the weapon directly into the surprised dwarf's chest, puncturing a lung and ravaging Belbez's vascular system!
:gonk: OH GOD HE'S GOING TO DIE SO SOON :gonk:

Vox Nihili posted:

Belbez Evon, clearly in pain and pale from blood loss, has won!
... how? :stare:

... either way, we now know that I am the superior goat.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Goatie posted:

... how? :stare:

Because kobolds just seem to have no luck at all. :(

Current Tournament

edit: One-third of their historical wins in one-on-one Arena Challenge fights have been when they have faced another kobold! Fortunately, the Arena engine doesn't allow for the possibility of them both losing.

All One-On-One Tournaments

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 19, 2011

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
Thank you SynthOrange, for making my 2-6 in the bets so far not look as bad. :)

I hope that one of the later fights has the winner hacking off random body parts of an unconscious foe instead of finishing them off. I would find it amusing.
Unless the game programs them to aim for the head when the foe is knocked out...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

InwardChaos posted:

Thank you SynthOrange, for making my 2-6 in the bets so far not look as bad. :)

I hope that one of the later fights has the winner hacking off random body parts of an unconscious foe instead of finishing them off. I would find it amusing.
Unless the game programs them to aim for the head when the foe is knocked out...

Yeah, it does, even to its detriment. If the opponent has an adamantine helmet on, they'll still go for the head instead of hacking at the limbs trying to get them to bleed out.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Poor Mr. Buckles. I thought she'd won it after getting first blood. Guess that dwarven resilience isn't anything to sneeze at.

Not sure if Aeiou the human was supposed to be a reference to that one Moonbase Alpha video, but I couldn't get it out of my head.

Dwarf Fortress provides a realistic simulation of life in an underground cavern.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat cheating dwarves.

Clanrat
Jan 24, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

Poor Mr. Buckles. I thought she'd won it after getting first blood. Guess that dwarven resilience isn't anything to sneeze at.

Not sure if Aeiou the human was supposed to be a reference to that one Moonbase Alpha video, but I couldn't get it out of my head.

Dwarf Fortress provides a realistic simulation of life in an underground cavern.

Beautiful. And yes you are correct in where the name comes from.

Video in question

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round One, Matches Twenty-One and Twenty-Two:siren:

Match Twenty-One, The Dandy Highwaywoman (Tag Plastic) vs. El Tigre (Arca)

The Dandy Highwaywoman is a soldier ant woman with an over-sized platinum crossbow and a chip on her shoulder. El Tigre is a kobold with a copper short sword and buckler, copper mail, leggings, and cap, and a silver breast plate. We're probably about to find out whether platinum bolts can pierce through copper armor- let's get to it!

The match begin! The Highwaywoman's first shot cuts through the air just as El Tigre takes his initial step forward- but fortunately for the kobold, the bolt goes wide!

El Tigre continues his dash across the ring. The Highwaywoman fires her crossbow again, and this time her aim is true: The bolt strikes El Tigre in the upper leg. But, as it turns out, layered copper armor is enough to repel a platinum bolt, and El Tigre suffers nothing more than a stinging welt! [Note: Had this been an iron projectile, it likely would have penetrated.]

El Tigre reaches his foe without suffering further fire and begins his assault! The ant woman catches his first swing upon her crossbow, then hops forward to easily avoid a second, asserting that this fight is yet far from over!

In a flash, The Highwaywoman has her weapon armed again, and fires it at point blank range! As she raises her weapon, though, El Tigre throws himself to the side, and just succeeds in evading the missile. Now the kobold is back on the offensive, but The Highwaywoman proves equally nimble, evading strike after strike. Finally, El Tigre lands a stab into her arm- but the blade fails to even penetrate the ant woman's thick chitin, and The Highwaywoman fires her crossbow yet again in response! El Tigre gets his buckler up immediately in front of his foe's launcher, and succeeds in blocking the bolt!

Now El Tigre slashes at his opponent's leg, and this time strikes squarely and with great force. The Highwaywoman's left leg is cut out from underneath her! From here, El Tigre launches a vicious assault, slashing, kicking, and biting at his faltering target. The Highwaywoman parries strike after strike from a supine position, but none of her counters can touch the kobold as he dancing in and out with every strike. The Highwaywoman, bleeding profusely, is just able to arm her weapon and get a final shot off- but it the kobold flings himself out of the bolt's path. A few quick slices later, El Tigre holds his opponent's head high in triumph.

Combat Log

Match Twenty-Two, Smatru Udasnu (Iunnrais) vs. Midas' Touch (TheWhaler)

Smatru Udasnu the kobold, selecting the ever-popular bowbold build, is armed with a bow and bronze arrows. Midas' Touch the minotaur is equipped with a bronze pike, and looks to skewer Smatru like a hunk of kabob meat. Will Smatru's arrows land, or will he be crushed underfoot like the rodent he is?

The match begins, and Smatru looses his first arrow- but it flies wide! Midas' Touch stomps forward, rapidly covering the gap with huge strides.

Like the previous match, the second projectile is on target! It strikes Midas' in the upper leg, but is merely a grazing hit. The minotaur is now free to obliterate his opponent, unless Smatru can pull off some sort of miracle.

Midas' reaches his target, and in his excitement, he punches instead of using his weapon! Regardless, Smatru is bowled over like a cheap, flimsy lawn ornament. Here, things get gruesome. Midas' remembers his weapon, and immediately jams it through Smatru's leg, pinning the kobold to the ground. A second thrust penetrates the kobold's arm, and then Midas' gores the screaming creature in the guts. He levels a finishing strike toward Smatru's head, but the pitiful thing scrambles away just in time, prolonging his life for at least a moment more!

Smatru tries to reload his weapon, but his wounds and desperate defensive posture preclude any real opportunity to do so. Again and again Midas' pike cuts into his flesh, though the kobold flails with his bow in an attempt to parry the ongoing flurry of strikes. He does succeed at knocking aside one blow, but it is not enough. A thrust through his foot prevents him from standing, and a jab through the hand knocks away his bow. Finally, Smatru gives into his pain, and is finished off a moment later.

Combat Log

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think the problem with your guys' strategies was not shooting the other guy in the head right away.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Bows are sort of wimpy now that silver bolts don't punch through steel like it was mist.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

resistentialism posted:

I think the problem with your guys' strategies was not shooting the other guy in the head right away.
I think you might be right. One of these days I'll have a gladiator progress beyond the first round shh let me dream...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tag Plastic posted:

I think you might be right. One of these days I'll have a gladiator progress beyond the first round shh let me dream...

So what was the thought process behind the choice of platinum for a crossbow? ;)

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Big guys crushing little guys, bows are useless. All is right in the world of Dwarf Fortress Arena.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yes! I have money for the second round! Go Team Kobold!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Huh, I would have thought platinum would work decently as bolts on account of the weight. Lucky for El Tigre.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

Vox Nihili posted:

So what was the thought process behind the choice of platinum for a crossbow? ;)
Shiny!

Seriously, that was most of it. I picked the race and name with no idea of a build, then I really did just decide to spend my cash on looking flash, so it was pretty gimmicky.

Also a small amount of this:

PublicOpinion posted:

Huh, I would have thought platinum would work decently as bolts on account of the weight.
Along with testing being for chumps :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Basically:
Are you doing damage through impact and crushing? Go for the heavy stuff.
Are you doing damage through piercing and cutting? Go with hard materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Fairly sure I read close to the end of the last thread that heavy bolts/arrows were better than hard materials. But I guess that's not true anymore? When did that get fixed? Well I suppose if I make it through the first round I will have to make some changes.

• Locked thread