Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Time to take a trip over to GWS. My meat pies will be augmented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

Time to take a trip over to GWS. My meat pies will be augmented.

Will it come full of dogmentation? If so, please sir, keep your meat pies to yourself.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
Gonna derail the pie discussion (mince and cheese all the way man) - I think I remember it being posted a few pages back, but anyone who purchased off Greenman Gaming has nothing to worry about (hopefully)

I had 2 emails from 2 different staff members with the most recent one saying:

quote:

Thanks for contacting Green Man Gaming. We've spoken to the publisher overnight and can confirm to you that your Steam key will work regardless of what region/country you are in.

We have requested keys from the publisher and when we receive them, we will add one to your account.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait, I'm suddenly seeing a swarm of "XBOX VERSION IS TOTAL poo poo AVOID AT ALL COSTS" etc and I'm suddenly sweating bullets, anyone know if this is true as I was kind of planning on making this my last game of the year I could afford and such :smith:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's a game in the first person view in which you operate a gun. Yet you chose to purchase it for the Xbox 360 platform. Perchance you desired to sit on your comfy couch and play it on your big tv?

Xbox version should be fine just obviously not as cool as PC because you can't type in passwords with your keyboard.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pwnstar posted:

It's a game in the first person view in which you operate a gun. Yet you chose to purchase it for the Xbox 360 platform. Perchance you desired to sit on your comfy couch and play it on your big tv?

Xbox version should be fine just obviously not as cool as PC because you can't type in passwords with your keyboard.

Actually my computer stutters quite a bit with Portal 2 (lags a bit when doors open) and if that's a problem figured "Man how the hell is it supposed to handle Deus Ex", hell earlier in the thread asked if my specs were any good and no one said anything so went the better safe then sorry route v:shobon:v

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait, I'm suddenly seeing a swarm of "XBOX VERSION IS TOTAL poo poo AVOID AT ALL COSTS" etc and I'm suddenly sweating bullets, anyone know if this is true as I was kind of planning on making this my last game of the year I could afford and such :smith:

I loved the leak and played through it two or three times. If the PC version is even just the leak with 20-30 hours of additional gameplay, I'll consider that a good $50 spent.

E: removed unintended console-making GBS threads-on

NecroBob fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 18, 2011

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
e: ^^^ Stop getting all angsty about the console version and him picking it. Who cares, he laid out his reasons.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actually my computer stutters quite a bit with Portal 2 (lags a bit when doors open) and if that's a problem figured "Man how the hell is it supposed to handle Deus Ex", hell earlier in the thread asked if my specs were any good and no one said anything so went the better safe then sorry route v:shobon:v

Yeah, I think he was just kidding anyway. I think it was a good choice considering it does seem a little bit tougher to run than Portal 2 (depending on the settings)

I hope the 360 port is alright though, for your sake (and the devs sake) - and if there are issues, who knows? Maybe they will patch them back up? :)
If you can, maybe you should just go cancel your order just to be totally safe? Then pick it up after some actual reports start coming in after release day?

poop fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 18, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DE:HR is probably one of the few games that will get it right:

- Console versions work great.
- PC version can take advantage of the flexibility and raw power of the platform.

As far as I have seen that is very much the case and all games should have both versions being optimized for their platform.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

poop posted:

e: ^^^ Stop getting all angsty about the console version and him picking it. Who cares, he laid out his reasons.

Yeah, I think he was just kidding anyway. I think it was a good choice considering it does seem a little bit tougher to run than Portal 2 (depending on the settings)

I hope the 360 port is alright though, for your sake (and the devs sake) - and if there are issues, who knows? Maybe they will patch them back up? :)
If you can, maybe you should just go cancel your order just to be totally safe? Then pick it up after some actual reports start coming in after release day?

Yeah, think that's what I'll do. Ah well, hoping for the best regardless though.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Day off secured for the 25th and now Steam says it will be available on the 24th :frogsiren:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Pwnstar posted:

I'm going to scroll wheel the gently caress out of my DXHR emails and various other browsing facilities.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The superior solution is to buy it for 360 now, then next year when you've saved up a bunch in your piggy bank get an awesome new PC and grab it off Steam for cheap and enjoy the awesome graphical upgrades. Later on buy the PS3 version to use as a coaster, or an ostentatious medallion.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I got my preorder for 20 euro; pc version. :smuggo:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Limited/dp/B004XH7HFC/

"Please note: It was reported that Deus Ex on PC is region-locked to the UK only. Square Enix has confirmed that this is not the case. If you are ordering from outside of the UK, you will be able to play this on your PC."

novak
Aug 8, 2006

Turnin' on the screw

Tecman posted:

"Please note: It was reported that Deus Ex on PC is region-locked to the UK only. Square Enix has confirmed that this is not the case. If you are ordering from outside of the UK, you will be able to play this on your PC."

gently caress.

I just cancelled my CE preorder thinking I'd need to get it locally.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Tecman posted:

While this is promising, I also think this may be a bit of misleading word usage. Something about that wording doesn't sit right to me.

It seems like the following conversation occurred:

Amazon Guy: Hey Squeenix, is Deus Ex going to be region locked to the UK?
Squeenix: Of course not, it will be playable in all regions, don't be silly.
Amazon Guy: Awesome. *posts that Deus Ex will be playable in all regions*

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
I'd agree, except a local retailer told me the same thing, they got the same message from Square Enix on their UK imports: "poo poo will work".

I do advise you to keep an eye out just in case, though. This could still change, since the clusterfuck happened in the first place and the Support page hasn't changed - yet.

novak posted:

I just cancelled my CE preorder thinking I'd need to get it locally.
While that's a shame, think of all the poor fuckers that got their preorders cancelled automatically yesterday - by amazon.co.uk. :smith:

Tecman fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 18, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

As awesome as the game is going to be, the confusing pre-order campaign and this 11th hour region locking debacle could have easily be handled much better. Thats my only complaint of what I hope becomes a strong contender for GOTY. I used to be really mad about the delay from Feb to August, but since the leak I can see that the extra development time was not wasted.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

As awesome as the game is going to be, the confusing pre-order campaign and this 11th hour region locking debacle could have easily be handled much better. Thats my only complaint of what I hope becomes a strong contender for GOTY. I used to be really mad about the delay from Feb to August, but since the leak I can see that the extra development time was not wasted.
Plus, nobody is going to really remember the delay or this pre-order nonsense ten years from now when everybody is looking back on the classic games of the turn of the decade. Just like people now remember Half-Life 2 for being an amazing game, not its absolute clusterfuck of a launch.

19orFewer
Jan 1, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not sure on the XBox but I played the PS3 version at Gamescom yesterday and I'll be avoiding that like some vile plague.

The control granularity was such that I could target to the left of an enemy's head or the right but even tiny stick nudges would just flip between the two. So an enemy in many places was impossible to hit from a stationary position (using cover etc) Using the PC version it felt like a properly designed game by comparison.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tecman posted:

God loving drat it. How can a publisher be so incompetent with one of their biggest games of the year. It is unfathomable.

I'll go see if my now cancelled copy is still available.

Edit: Nope. Thanks a lot, Squeidos :smith:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I'm going to scroll wheel the gently caress out of my DXHR emails and various other browsing facilities.

Let's be "pick your weapon with number-keys" buddies!

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
iRend & Gelf, this is what you went to?

GameSpot Live Deus Ex event photo gallery
We team up with Namco Bandai to bring you a very special Aussie community hands-on preview event for the kickass Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
( http://www.gamespot.com/news/6329842/gamespot-live-deus-ex-event-photo-gallery )

GameSpot AU teamed up with the good folks at Namco Bandai last night to hold a special preview event in Sydney for the upcoming sci-fi action adventure, Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Held at The Goldfish club in Kings Cross on Wednesday night, the event gave the GS AU community the chance to get their hands on the game early while meeting and greeting each other, as well as members of the Australian Namco team and a few of the GS AU staff members.

Punters were kept refreshed throughout the night with a steady supply of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, as well as some very yummy nibbles. Finally, three lucky community members won some very cool Deus Ex prize packs in a raffle on the night! Check out our photos from the event below (Pictures by GameSpot AU and Rob Jones)!

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Sorry for the double post, but this is important. From an Eidos Admin:

Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1651200&postcount=778

edit: And he later added: "Yes this is for anywhere in europe."
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1651213&postcount=787

And even later: "Oh and yes the pc versions from UK will work in US and vice versa"
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1651268&postcount=824

edit #2: DXHR No Longer Region Locked In Europe
( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/dxhr-no-longer-region-locked-in-europe/ )

Square Enix appear to have reversed their decision on region-locking the retail copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution in Europe and the UK, which we’d noted yesterday. An Eidos forum post by Square Enix “mastering manager” Jason Walker says: “We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK/Europe. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.”

Tecman fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 18, 2011

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Tecman posted:

Sorry for the double post, but this is important. From an Eidos Admin:

Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1651200&postcount=778

I wonder if they'll give some minor compensation to anyone who can prove a preorder cancellation based on this snafu and an inability to reinitiate the preorder afterward.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Oh man, to think that this game comes out next week. Gonna play the hell out of my Collectors Edition!(Yes, I am a sucker for such things)

Also, I recall hearing about a clothing line based on this game coming out at the same time as the game. Has there been any news about that?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Jarate posted:

Plus, nobody is going to really remember the delay or this pre-order nonsense ten years from now when everybody is looking back on the classic games of the turn of the decade. Just like people now remember Half-Life 2 for being an amazing game, not its absolute clusterfuck of a launch.

I still remember how it ran at like 5-fps for pretty much everyone playing it out of the box and they all swore a holy jihad upon Valve. Memories!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What I remember most about Halflife 2 is they delayed the game literally a few days before it was supposed to be released. Then the leak of HL2 happened and it was pretty clear they were no-where near a release candidate. Why they didn't do it sooner is beyond me. Then HL2 was a gigantic tech demo, and the story/actual game didn't start until Episode 1.

I'm having some trouble. Now, obviously it's the leaked version so it's incomplete and -probably- won't happen for the release version, but I recently re-installed Windows 7. I got the leak when I was stuck in windows XP. Windows XP ran it really poorly, but the visuals looked right. When I try to run it's windows 7 version it's really dark. So dark infact I have to turn the luminosity all the way up to full.

Any idea what it is beyond just it being a leak? Edit: Ah it appears it doesn't like DX-11 settings.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 18, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

HL2 owned, still owns and it had a story. :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zedd posted:

HL2 owned, still owns and it had a story. :colbert:

Yeah, when you consider it had been in development for that long, it had the potential to be an utterly incoherent mess like DNF wound up. It deserves some stick for some of the vehicle sections being dull and for some of those "LOOK WE CAN DO PHYSICS" puzzles, but it's still a really good game.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I maintain that HL2 is still a pretty solid game and pretty fun, but it doesn't hold up as well as the original Half Life, which is simpler, but still has an air of quality through and through. I definitely have a bias toward liking that era of gaming though. For some reason I just think those old engines worked better.

EDIT: They also killed my interest in the series by not making any new episodes/games/expansions in the last 5 years. Portal 2 doesn't count.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm having some trouble. Now, obviously it's the leaked version so it's incomplete and -probably- won't happen for the release version, but I recently re-installed Windows 7. I got the leak when I was stuck in windows XP. Windows XP ran it really poorly, but the visuals looked right. When I try to run it's windows 7 version it's really dark. So dark infact I have to turn the luminosity all the way up to full.

Any idea what it is beyond just it being a leak? Edit: Ah it appears it doesn't like DX-11 settings.

In the off chance you haven't figured this out yet, holding "shift" when you click on the icon should resolve this issue. You may need to do it a few times to get it to work correctly though. I do.

EDIT: VVV Not yet, but we're hopeful.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 18, 2011

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.
Any word on if there will be a Steam preload over the weekend?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm confused...but I didn't cancel my preorder anyway so meh...(I'm in the UK ordering in the UK...er).

According to Game they should be processing my preorder soon actually. They sent me an email on Tuesday saying "We're working on it"

Although so far I haven't seen anything different.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
God, after yesterday's news I cancelled my Amazon.uk preorder and bought it on Amazon.de.

And now they retract their dumb decision and Amazon.uk no longer offers the Augmented Edition. And preordering from Game.co.uk is a difference of only 10€, in which case I prefer the faster shipping of Amazon.de.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Console games are always total poo poo compared to their PC counterparts, this surprises you? :smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Console games are always total poo poo compared to their PC counterparts, this surprises you? :smug:
Can we ignore this kind of bullshit? Thanks.

edit:
New Bionic Leg Thinks and Moves Like a Real Limb
( http://gizmodo.com/5832028/new-bionic-leg-thinks-and-moves-like-a-real-limb )

Traditional, un-powered prosthetics aren't exactly pinnacles of design evolution—they're heavy, cumbersome, and don't move like a living limbs. This new leg—using recent advances in motor, processing, and sensor technology—walks and reacts just like a real leg. Here's how:

Developed at the developed at Vanderbilt University the leg uses both a powered knee and powered ankle, operating in unison to lift the foot and swing it forward naturally, eliminating the dragging-gait seen with traditional prosthetics. It also uses an advanced sensor suite to monitor the leg's motion, momentum and position, feeding that data into processors that predict the user's intention and react accordingly. The leg's anti-stumble routine, for example, monitors the leg's position and momentum. If it senses the user stumbling, the leg automatically lifts the foot clear of the obstacle before replanting in on the ground.

The leg itself weighs a scant nine pounds, requires 30-40% less energy input from the users and, with the help of new battery technology, run for three days with normal use.

"With our latest model, we have validated our hypothesis that the right technology was available to make a lower-limb prosthetic with powered knee and ankle joints," said Vanderbilt Center for Intelligent Mechatronics director, Michael Goldfarb in a press release. "Our device illustrates the progress we are making at integrating man and machine."

Combined with Mark Stark's prosthetic hand, Dean Kamen's Prosthetic ‘Luke' Arm, Matthew James Mercedes-branded i-LIMB Pulse, or Oscar "'Poor Little Tink Tink" Pistorius' carbon fiber sprinting legs, that integration is getting closer by the minute.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 18, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

In all seriousness, I was just teasing.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

TheMostFrench posted:

I still remember how it ran at like 5-fps for pretty much everyone playing it out of the box and they all swore a holy jihad upon Valve. Memories!
I don't remember this except for idiots that tried running it on an MX400.

I got it on launch day and it worked fine for me on my lovely 9600. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

My MX440 ran it. (barely) :c00l:

• Locked thread