Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

traveling midget posted:

lol what

Oh you didn't know? You seriously didn't think HTC was going to allow you to root your phone without having to spill a little blood should something go wrong did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

traveling midget posted:

lol what

HTC CEO Peter Chou posted:

So how will this work? The Web tool, which will launch this month, requires that you register an account with a valid e-mail address and accept legal disclaimers that unlocking may void all or parts of your warranty. Then plug in your phone to a computer with the Android SDK loaded to retrieve a device identifier token, which you can then enter into the Web tool to receive a unique unlock key via e-mail. Finally, apply the key to your device and unlocking will be initiated on your phone.
[src]

edit: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/preview_unlock_process

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's ridiculous. S-OFF for everyone with a Caveat Rooter should suffice, IMO.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

traveling midget posted:

That's ridiculous. S-OFF for everyone with a Caveat Rooter should suffice, IMO.

I mean they could have just said "gently caress you guys" and not done anything so

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What implication does that have with respect to TEP?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

I really side with HTC on this one. They're giving you the option of doing it. It's not mandatory. People who don't like it are the same types of people who put a turbo on a stock motor, blow the motor, then take it back to the dealership and try to say the engine blew, it should be covered under the warranty.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
We don't know yet exactly what's involved with the disclaimer.

It's totally fair for HTC to open a loophole so they can deny warranty claims for fuckups caused by flashing custom ROMs. Super~D3M0N-ROM3000x wiping your bootloader isn't their problem at all, too bad so sad. Same with damage from overclocking.

On the other hand, if using the tool requires you to sign away the general hardware warranty - yeah that's hosed.

Either way, I have no intentions of using it since rev.io is out.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

traveling midget posted:

60 days from activation IIRC

EDIT: I registered for my port-in credit 5/8/11 and never got it. I just called 866-877-7137, option 2. They manually applied the credit, it was a 2 minute phone call.

Just got my bill, they applied the credit on Aug 11 AND Aug 14.. I have a negative balance for now, but they'll take it back I'm sure.

:unsmith:

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
New Evo3D update also allows you to take screenshots, hold the Power button then hit Home.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So my boss cracked the screen on his HTC Thunderbolt by sitting on it, and took it to a shop today to get it replaced for $100. He told me after he got back that the repair guys weren't impressed with the build quality, saying it was "all glue" and that the lack of screws helps keep a thin design. Is this something to worry about with respect to the EVO 4G, 3D, and other HTC phones?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Uselessly chiming in to say that my Evo 3D has me in a state of continuous, uninterrupted orgasm, thanks for the rec guys

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Sole Survivor posted:

New Evo3D update also allows you to take screenshots, hold the Power button then hit Home.

Worked perfectly thanks

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Alman posted:

Yeah, since Sprint has about half the customers (a little less actually I think?) than AT&T or Verizon, gross data consumption as a total is probably about the same as one of the top two. But since a LOT of the backhaul for Sprint coverage is leased from other telecoms (read: AT&T, Verizon), the cost is actually higher, putting a larger financial burden on a smaller company with substantially smaller revenues. The $10 smartphone fee has helped recoup some of those losses by boosting ARPU a bit, but in the end, until providing data becomes more cost-effective, the only solution I can see is introducing a more expensive unlimited plan, introducing throttling, introducing tiered pricing, or some sort of combination of those.

I'm sorry, but if they do end up throttling/raising prices, I'm going to Verizon. Sprint is great 95% of the time...the other 5% I deal with lovely coverage because they're cheap.

If Sprint raises their prices and it's only going to cost me a few dollars more per month to be on Verizon...well, so be it.

Right now, I have 3 4G phones (Evo, Epic, E3D) at a total monthly cost of about $150. Last time I looked, it was substantially more on Verizon.

Price and ACTUAL unlimited plans are the only differentiator between Sprint and AT&T/Verizon. If they lose both of those, why would anyone stay with Sprint?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Alman posted:

...and this is why throttling is inevitable.

:(

The biggest problem is no one is using 4G, so all the data gets offset on 3G by users. Not blaming people, just the result of a 4G launch that wasn't successful enough.

I don't know what employee news you see Alman, but the biggest thing I saw was a little "tip" saying that Sprint bills will now "conveniently" show both 3G and 4G data usage. Both are still unlimited of course, it says.

Sprint is starting to differentiate between which network you use data on. What'd you think is coming next?

Ozmodiar posted:

Price and ACTUAL unlimited plans are the only differentiator between Sprint and AT&T/Verizon. If they lose both of those, why would anyone stay with Sprint?

Its a good question, and it depends on your needs. First off, despite us all speculating, who knows when/where/what. Will it be buckets or throttling? Will everything be capped or just 3G? Etc etc. Given both the finances (as Alman pointed out) and just how Sprint tends to do business, its certainly likely. I honestly was thinking/hoping it would be another 10-12 months before it would roll out.

Unfortunately, something has to give. That being said, I still think Verizon's policies are atrocious right now, so I would take my Sprint family plan getting throttled over that.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 19, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Duckman2008 posted:

The biggest problem is no one is using 4G, so all the data gets offset on 3G by users. Not blaming people, just the result of a 4G launch that wasn't successful enough.

I get 3 bars of 4G in NYC right outside my home. I go in the front door, close it, no more 4G.

This is why no one is using 4G. It's only good if you're outside.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Welp the 3d update reset all of my preferences, probably should've expected that though.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't know what employee news you see Alman, but the biggest thing I saw was a little "tip" saying that Sprint bills will now "conveniently" show both 3G and 4G data usage. Both are still unlimited of course, it says.

Sprint is starting to differentiate between which network you use data on. What'd you think is coming next?

So the average user uses less than 800 MB a month. If Sprint can't handle that... uh....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

I get 3 bars of 4G in NYC right outside my home. I go in the front door, close it, no more 4G.

This is why no one is using 4G. It's only good if you're outside.

Oh, I agree, just saying that is the exact problem.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Since I use MIUI I don't use 4G. That said under 800mb is not bad for Sprint. Honestly I easily use a couple of gigs a month.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I also stopped using 4G since I started using MIUI, but I've only gone over 1GB in one month in my recent history, looking at Sprint.com's account section.

My current usage clearly shows "3G data" next to how much I've used, and says that they can't show me 4G usage, like, at all.

Its pretty clear that unlimited 3G is going to go by the wayside soon. 4G might still stay unlimited, if only because people can't use it.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, I agree, just saying that is the exact problem.

It's a problem that's been identified and tagged for resolution via the oft-mentioned Network Vision project. Unifying 800 mhz, 1900 mhz, and 2500 mhz (in addition to LightSquared's 1600 mhz) on a single technology will help to better provide range, penetration, and bandwidth for mobile users. Assuming the frequency handoff protocols are written well, then the final product should be a substantial improvement over the status quo. I'm pretty sure Clearwire is going to start building out more markets now too

(disclaimer: that's all based on publicly available information)

BTW the news I see is iConnect

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sole Survivor posted:

Oh hey, it also includes the new version of Swype unless I'm seeing things. Looks different than before.

e; Oh c'mon HTC, jpg screen shots? What the gently caress is this poo poo.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 19, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alman posted:

It's a problem that's been identified and tagged for resolution via the oft-mentioned Network Vision project. Unifying 800 mhz, 1900 mhz, and 2500 mhz (in addition to LightSquared's 1600 mhz) on a single technology will help to better provide range, penetration, and bandwidth for mobile users. Assuming the frequency handoff protocols are written well, then the final product should be a substantial improvement over the status quo. I'm pretty sure Clearwire is going to start building out more markets now too

(disclaimer: that's all based on publicly available information)

BTW the news I see is iConnect

Right, and I agree that Network Vision is probably Sprint's best feature moving forward, but the rumors (emphasize rumors) I am hearing is that Network Vision is running behind the Fall Announcement goals. Not sure if you know or can say about anything, but the problem is that Network Vision basically cannot magically launch overnight.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Does the new OTA for the 3D break the current perm root that's out? I don't plan on rooting until CM7 is out since there are no decent roms.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

Right, and I agree that Network Vision is probably Sprint's best feature moving forward, but the rumors (emphasize rumors) I am hearing is that Network Vision is running behind the Fall Announcement goals. Not sure if you know or can say about anything, but the problem is that Network Vision basically cannot magically launch overnight.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2011/08/17/sprint-will-upgrade-network-faster.html

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

blargle posted:

Does the new OTA for the 3D break the current perm root that's out? I don't plan on rooting until CM7 is out since there are no decent roms.

Check XDA, there's a prerooted .zip for the update.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Check XDA, there's a prerooted .zip for the update.

HTC lit up the Evo 3D on their dev site. You can unlock it officially.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Isn't more of a advantage to unlock unofficialy?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I think it would be pretty insane if they can get a new network up and running before 2014.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
So I unlocked it officially today.
Which did a factory wipe of the phone, oops. Gotta re-install it all.

But before I do, I want to root this. I found a zip file that's signed and "deoxed" or something of the STOCK rom. And that's fine with me.

What do I need to do now that my phone is running an unlocked bootloader?

From my understanding I need to install the clockword mod recovery and flash this image? Why are people talking about radios?

Difference Engine
Mar 30, 2009
For a while now, whenever I get a missed call, it will always leave a 1 second voicemail that is blank, has anyone else had this problem and maybe know how to solve it? Its kind of annoying to have to delete a bunch of 1s voicemails

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Sole Survivor posted:

Also the new version of swype is made of pure win. I didn't think that I could like this phone more than I already did ...but I do.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
Now my ISP wants to buy my cell provider. This can only end well, right?

Octavian fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 19, 2011

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Amazon just dropped the price on the Evo 3D.

$99 for new customers, $179 for existing renewals. No activation fee, and $5 for Amazon Kindle/MP3/Video content, each.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I really love my EVO 3D, but they made the Photon available to employees yesterday...

for $49! What the hell, if I had known it was going to be that cheap I would have just waited

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alman posted:

I really love my EVO 3D, but they made the Photon available to employees yesterday...

for $49! What the hell, if I had known it was going to be that cheap I would have just waited

Can you buy a photon for me? PM me if so :)

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

Sole Survivor posted:

Why wouldn't they publicize this? Its kinda awesome

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
So the HTC official unlock is loving worthless... Whoop de doo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anyone else noticing a big performance hit after the update, with a commeasurate loss in battery longevity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Octavian posted:

Now my ISP wants to buy my cell provider. This can only end well, right?

This slightly terrifies me for some reason. Probably because they bought qwest and qwest is horrible here.