Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This all abruptly ended when Lucas himself jumped in and said that there is no in between and every force user is either a patron saint or Hitler. Not so coincidentally this is exactly when the EU took a nose dive in every single discernible way.
Lucas literally has no imagination.

And I thought of Dooku too as a perfect example. I'd characterize the Sith master/apprentice relationship as the master basically using the apprentice as a tool to stroke his own ego and gain more power. But the more powerful they become, the more reckless. Eventually they become so sure of themselves that they slip up and let their guard down. Dooku is just an example of an apprentice who didn't figure it out in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This all abruptly ended when Lucas himself jumped in and said that there is no in between and every force user is either a patron saint or Hitler. Not so coincidentally this is exactly when the EU took a nose dive in every single discernible way.

So, unsurprisingly, Lucas is a sith.

"Only a sith deals in absolutes" - Obi-Wan, RotS

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Jigoku San posted:

So, unsurprisingly, Lucas is a sith.

"Only a sith deals in absolutes" - Obi-Wan, RotS

I'm sure this is hella treaded ground...But isn't that an absolute? :crossarms:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
"Do or Do Not, there is No Try."

Wait...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Amrosorma posted:

I'm sure this is hella treaded ground...But isn't that an absolute? :crossarms:

Only "A" Sith. The whole of the Jedi Council can follow an absolute and what he said was true. From a certain point of view...

Moral of the story, ambiguity gives you a way out. (And Obi is a dirty liar who wanted Luke to be knee deep in his philosophy before introducing him to his biological father for fear Luke would listen to that guy instead)

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Bombadilillo posted:

Only "A" Sith. The whole of the Jedi Council can follow an absolute and what he said was true. From a certain point of view...

Moral of the story, ambiguity gives you a way out. (And Obi is a dirty liar who wanted Luke to be knee deep in his philosophy before introducing him to his biological father for fear Luke would listen to that guy instead)

"But from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

Case in point, free thought and opinion = evil

Makes perfect sense in Lucasworld.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ECBoots posted:

"But from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

Case in point, free thought and opinion = evil

Makes perfect sense in Lucasworld.

George went to the video game school of morality, the best perks are reserved for the super good/evil. This is opposed to the D&D where you can be neutral and temperament is separate (chaotic/lawful).

All kidding aside, in Georges defense the EU was getting kind of wacky with its interpretation of the force and making arbitrary rules like "you can use dark powers, you just age a bit..." So I can't fault him for wanting to put a stop to that malarkey.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Bombadilillo posted:

George went to the video game school of morality, the best perks are reserved for the super good/evil. This is opposed to the D&D where you can be neutral and temperament is separate (chaotic/lawful).

All kidding aside, in Georges defense the EU was getting kind of wacky with its interpretation of the force and making arbitrary rules like "you can use dark powers, you just age a bit..." So I can't fault him for wanting to put a stop to that malarkey.

This is due to that loving travesty of a series, the Dark Nest. I can't think of a single good thing to come from that abomination. Besides, my Jedi exile zapped motherfuckers all day long and didn't age. :colbert:

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bombadilillo posted:

No Homers Club.

But you let in Homer Glumplich.

It says no Homer"s", we're allowed to have one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Emotions are a bit less restricted for jedis in the post-ROTJ EU though, what with Luke and Mara getting married.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Gary Jedi bullshit aside, that's pretty much what Jolee tries to teach you throughout the game.

This makes me wish there was a Jedi named Gary.

And I gave up on the novels around the time Han qualified for Medicaid. How old are the big three these days? It makes me think that the assassination attempt that finally gets Luke won't be a sexy Sith Assassin chick or a bunch of droids made out of the 18th lightsaber proof material. Someone's just gonna unplug his bathroom phone and take the nonslip daisies out of his space shower.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Razorwired posted:

space shower.

Sonic shower

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

l33t b4c0n posted:

So my question is this: Is it possible for a force-oriented individual to give in to emotions without totally becoming an evil rear end in a top hat? A lot of the canon makes it out to be that Jedi control their emotions and gain serenity through the force, while Sith let their hatred and rage fuel them. But I mean, isn't it possible to be passionate about something without becoming a lord of everything evil? Does anything in the SW universe ever deal with this, or is every force-user who experiences emotions doomed to become a galactic rear end in a top hat?

Luke was pretty passionate about his friends and family and saving people and poo poo. He also hosed over over it but it was also what gave him strength and made him a better Jedi than any of those Council douches.

quote:

Yeah, we poo poo on Lucas a lot but he's the only one stopping the EU from turning into a complete fantasy novel series. Right now it's only mostly a fantasy novel series.

I like to think of the Dark side like crack or angel dust. It's extremely destructive and there is no such thing as being a recreational crack user. Or in this case, an in-betweenie.

quote:

And the in-between stuff just produces :rolleyes: stuff like the benevolent Sith business man. Without Lucas putting his foot down we probably would have gotten a novel where Luke runs into a cult of domesticated Sith who live in the suburbs who are respected doctors, business men, and lawyers.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 18, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

WhyteRyce posted:

And the in-between stuff just produces :rolleyes: stuff like the benevolent Sith business man. Without Lucas putting his foot down we probably would have gotten a novel where Luke runs into a cult of domesticated Sith who live in the suburbs who are respected doctors, business men, and lawyers.

I'd read it.

"Clear!" *unleashes lightning from finger tips*

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bombadilillo posted:

Well, to be honest the OT seemed to support that a tiny bit. My favorite explanation for what the Emperor really is to this day remains "creepy old fucker who looks like he does because he uses the Dark Side so much". In that context I don't find it unreasonable to assume that, when you use the Dark Side, you start to look like him a little bit more.

But I guess he's just a normal guy from Naboo who got disfigured by his own Force lightning.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

BonHair posted:

Sonic shower

I always wondered if the people of Tatooine lived under crazy water rationing, Dune-style, but I guess this takes care of some of the daily water usage.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Razorwired posted:

And I gave up on the novels around the time Han qualified for Medicaid. How old are the big three these days? It makes me think that the assassination attempt that finally gets Luke won't be a sexy Sith Assassin chick or a bunch of droids made out of the 18th lightsaber proof material. Someone's just gonna unplug his bathroom phone and take the nonslip daisies out of his space shower.

I have to admit, this is one of the reasons I like the new Legacy comics so much- we don't have to keep up with Skywalker/Solo family drama, a whole new cast of characters (so I don't have to see an 80-year old Luke backflipping over Sith ninjas), but with all the Star Wars bits I know and love.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I have to admit, this is one of the reasons I like the new Legacy comics so much- we don't have to keep up with Skywalker/Solo family drama, a whole new cast of characters (so I don't have to see an 80-year old Luke backflipping over Sith ninjas), but with all the Star Wars bits I know and love.

Yoda flipped all over the place and he was like 8...00!!!! :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CommissarMega posted:

Instead you can have a 20-year-old Luke Skywalker clone with long hair and EDGE backflipping over Sith ninjas. I don't see the improvement.

And for people attributing Lucas for "saving" the EU from whatever, reminder: Force ~*~*~*Cthulhu*~*~*~.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Legacy knew it was a comic book. It was over-the-top and occasionally dumb, but the first 30 or so issues were good. They just couldn't figure out how to end it.

I really wish they hadn't canned KOTOR. The TOR tie-ins that replaced it suck. Has anyone kept up with Knight Errant?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

arioch posted:

Instead you can have a 20-year-old Luke Skywalker clone with long hair and EDGE backflipping over Sith ninjas. I don't see the improvement.

And for people attributing Lucas for "saving" the EU from whatever, reminder: Force ~*~*~*Cthulhu*~*~*~.

Well theres a lot of retarded things in the EU, Can't George get props for stopping one of them? Obviously theres more to complain about.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

Well theres a lot of retarded things in the EU, Can't George get props for stopping one of them? Obviously theres more to complain about.

My point is everything that was retarded to begin with is still chugging along. And somehow got more retarded along the way.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

arioch posted:

My point is everything that was retarded to begin with is still chugging along. And somehow got more retarded along the way.

Yeah, I guess if went from Force Ambiguity to Force Extreme Polarity.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WhyteRyce posted:

Without Lucas putting his foot down we probably would have gotten a novel where Luke runs into a cult of domesticated Sith who live in the suburbs who are respected doctors, business men, and lawyers.

(Stares menacingly at dandelions growing along the back edge of the garage) "Now, witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational weed-whacker!" (Activates weed-whacker, cuts down dandelions) "POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

(Stares menacingly at dandelions growing along the back edge of the garage) "Now, witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational weed-whacker!" (Activates weed-whacker, cuts down dandelions) "POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!"

The power to sculpt a lawn is insignificant next to the power of the Home Owners Association.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Darth Vader: Don't underestimate the Force.
Governor Tarkin: The Neighborhood Watch are extinct, their fire has gone out of the subdivision. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lightsaber armor guy except the lightsabers are kitchen utensils. Can prepare multiple batches of brownies for the Dark Side Academy bake sale simultaneously.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Letting your kid drive a speeder bike for the first time, secretly using the force to make sure he doesn't drive into any trees/flower arrangements.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Legacy knew it was a comic book. It was over-the-top and occasionally dumb, but the first 30 or so issues were good. They just couldn't figure out how to end it.

I really wish they hadn't canned KOTOR. The TOR tie-ins that replaced it suck. Has anyone kept up with Knight Errant?

I finished the first story arc but didn't bother with any more. The cartoonish evil Sith lords who all think they're gods and command vast slave armies got old by the second issue.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Letting your kid drive a speeder bike for the first time, secretly using the force to make sure he doesn't drive into any trees/flower arrangements.

Shedding a single tear as he goes to the Sith Academy for his first day of training.

Jedi say emotion leads to the dark side, well if crying for your son is wrong...I don't want to be right Master Yoda. I don't.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The attack by rock-throwing children on dirtbikes has left me scarred, and deformed. But I assure you, my lawn has never been greener! Therefore, this street shall be re-organized into...THE FIRST GALACTIC HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION! For a safe, and secure, society!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Holy poo poo, reading "The Courtship of Princess Leia" and getting the impression the author doesn't think much of women. Like, at all.

-After going steady with Han Solo for more than a decade she dumps him for some prince guy after spending less than a day with him
-Han Solo responds by KIDNAPPING HER and locking her in the Millenium Falcon's smuggling compartment
-There is a race of people where the women control the men and pretend to be smarter and and and

Dave Wolverton has some issues I guess? This is so terrible haha

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Haledjian posted:

Holy poo poo, reading "The Courtship of Princess Leia" and getting the impression the author doesn't think much of women. Like, at all.

-After going steady with Han Solo for more than a decade she dumps him for some prince guy after spending less than a day with him
-Han Solo responds by KIDNAPPING HER and locking her in the Millenium Falcon's smuggling compartment
-There is a race of people where the women control the men and pretend to be smarter and and and

Yeah pretty much. My junior high English teacher saw that I was reading a book by Dave Wolverton and said "oh that Dave Wolverton" so I guess she knew what was up.

Even then I kind of realized there was something really wrong.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Haledjian posted:

When I borrowed this book from the library in 5th grade there was a perfectly squished cockroach between two of the pages. I remember thinking what kind of nerdy slobs Star Wars fans must be.

Then I wiped my cheeto-stained fingers on my cargo shorts.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I understand what you are going for here, but still the engine is near the center of mass of the plane. Look at the tail, it's offset as well to couteract the differences of lift. Also, if you look at it you'll see the one side wing (cockpit side) is longer than the other, so the plane is still balanced around the thrust vector.

Look at this though:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/1/1c/Outrider.jpg

The engine is on the left third of the ship, I guess it could be extremely light on the cockpit side, but there's so much mass on the right two thirds of the ship. In space this would be a non-issue I guess, but in Shadows of the Empire the Outrider flies in Atmosphere a lot. But I guess when you are trying to make a non-Han-Solo character you have to make a non-Millennium-Falcon ship that can't quite look just like it but needs to be slightly different. The ship design is just so uninspired.

Not defending the silliness of the outrider at all, the ship really is extremely lopsided and indeed uninspired as you said. To further compound the problem it's got the aerodynamics of a brick and that lovely gap between the cockpit access area and.. whatever the hell the rear one is. I'd hatelove to see what the thing would do in a wind tunnel. I guess I came off wrong, as I was just trying to point out an amusing example of bizarre asymmetry in reality, and not actually trying to disagree with your assertion.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

When I borrowed this book from the library in 5th grade there was a perfectly squished cockroach between two of the pages. I remember thinking what kind of nerdy slobs Star Wars fans must be.

Then I wiped my cheeto-stained fingers on my cargo shorts.

This is us. We're all the cargo shorts fat guy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

omgLerkHat! posted:

To further compound the problem it's got the aerodynamics of a brick and that lovely gap between the cockpit access area and.. whatever the hell the rear one is. I'd hatelove to see what the thing would do in a wind tunnel.

Not like the Millennium Falcon, which is nice and symmetrical, and has totally realistic aerodynamics. :)

(But I agree, the Outrider is way lopsided and ends up looking a bit silly.)

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Discussing the aerodynamics of Star Wars spacecraft is pointless. If Star Destroyers can enter a planet's atmosphere and keep themselves in the air seemingly effortlessly then anything is possible.

And if there is a human with sufficient power to pull one of these craft out of stable flight aqnd into the ground then you've just kicked physics in the balls hard enough to break your own foot.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bene Elim posted:

Discussing the aerodynamics of Star Wars spacecraft is pointless. If Star Destroyers can enter a planet's atmosphere and keep themselves in the air seemingly effortlessly then anything is possible.

And if there is a human with sufficient power to pull one of these craft out of stable flight aqnd into the ground then you've just kicked physics in the balls hard enough to break your own foot.

Star Destroyers can't enter a planet's atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Star Destroyers can't enter a planet's atmosphere.

They could in the prequels.

Of course, we've decided that the prequels aren't goon canon.