Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psybro
May 12, 2002
1) Striker needs to not be a pussy. Maybe mention it in your report because it could be something a team hopes to get away with for as long as possible, like Stevenage taking injury breaks in the 23rd minute of all their games.

2) If the keeper was off his line before the penalty was struck, retake, but make it very clear to the keeper that you will be the arbiter of whether the ball is in the correct place. If the ball was already kicked, gently caress him.

3) Can't touch the ball twice, yellow card for trying a trick to circumvent the laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

2. Run away. Keeper is a zombie.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Guess you guys couldn't Hackett concerning the first call:

Keith Hackett's verdict posted:

1) Order a retake. The law is clear on issues like this: the referee must "stop the match because of outside interference of any kind". This announcement clearly distracted the player and altered the course of the game. You should talk to the stadium manager, remind him that future PA announcements must be made during a stoppage, and report the incident to the authorities after the game. Of course, if you thought the striker was actually having you on and making excuses, you would play on as normal. Max Seymour wins the shirt.

2) It is not up to the keeper to judge whether the ball is correctly positioned: if you have blown for the kick to be taken, then you are happy with the positioning, and that is what counts. Award the goal.
Thanks to Jonathan Pointer.

3) Disallow the goal. It may have been one movement – so he is not guilty of staggering his run-up in an attempt to distract the goalkeeper – but he has committed the more basic offence of touching the ball twice. It is an indirect free-kick to the defending team from the penalty spot.
Thanks to Joe Walk.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
AAAH! It's Friday!

Psybro
May 12, 2002
1) Make your own mind up. Be a man.

2) Goal and red card for intentional handball occasioning the denial of a goalscoring opportunity.

3) Second yellow for dangerous play due to being a spacker.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

1. Same thing as the concussion helmets, if it's safe it's safe.
2. Yellow and a goal. Didn't DOGSO because it went in.
3. Second yellow.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
1) make up my own mind. But being a neck injury there's no way I'm risking it. Not coming on.

2) goal and a talk with the defender. Hadn't blown yet so I can play advantage, and thus no dogso.

3) if I felt it was reckless (probably would) it's yellow and off. If it was a complete accident and the striker shoulders no blame then just a fk.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

1) punch gary neville in the face
2) punch gary neville in the face
3) make a well informed critical post on an internet forum analyzing gary neville's commentary

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
1. If it properly padded, he can play.

2. Goal, Caution for unsporting behavior.

3. Stop play, have the injured player attended to/removed, restart with dropped ball.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
1. If padding is good, and there's little chance of it being a choking hazard, and the physio is really fine with it, then I guess it's OK. Somehow I doubt all of that is true. Though I'd really want a real honest to God doctor who isn't going to have a possible perverse interest like the physio to tell me it's not a bad idea.

2. Goal, yellow, tell the defender he's pretty clever.

3. If it is somehow not reckless, free kick. It's likely reckless, so second yellow, sending off.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 19, 2011

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

foobardog posted:

3. If it is somehow not reckless, free kick. It's likely reckless, so second yellow, sending off.

Surely if it's not reckless then it's not a foul at all. The scenario states that it was unintentional, so unless it was unnecessarily dangerous (reckless), then it's not a foul. I reckon it would be a case of stopping play so the injured player can be seen to (the vlood would necessitate this?) and restart with a dropped ball.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The consensus in the comment section on The Guardian is that #3 isn't a foul at all, but am I unreasonable for expecting someone to be in control of their own foot at all times? If a defender goes for the ball and comes up with a cleat full of ankle instead, it's a foul, why would this be any different?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Mickolution posted:

Surely if it's not reckless then it's not a foul at all. The scenario states that it was unintentional, so unless it was unnecessarily dangerous (reckless), then it's not a foul. I reckon it would be a case of stopping play so the injured player can be seen to (the vlood would necessitate this?) and restart with a dropped ball.

Checking the Laws, there seems to be a distinction made for what gets a direct free kick versus an indirect free kick. Directs get given for doing an offense in a way that is "careless, reckless or using excessive force", while indirects can be given for "play[ing] in a dangerous manner". Cautions seem to require "unsporting behaviour".

So I guess no card is on the table unless you consider the showboating to be at the level of unsporting. It could be a direct or an indirect based on recklessness. And I guess it's arguable if it's playing in a dangerous manner, but I definitely think so.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The consensus in the comment section on The Guardian is that #3 isn't a foul at all, but am I unreasonable for expecting someone to be in control of their own foot at all times? If a defender goes for the ball and comes up with a cleat full of ankle instead, it's a foul, why would this be any different?

That's the case for defenders, but not necessarily for attackers. Imagine a scenario where a striker is coming onto a ball with the intention of blasting it as hard as he could. A defender makes a clean sliding tackle from the side and clears the ball away but the attacker had already begun his kick and catches the defender as he slides, injuring him. That's never a foul. This is different, I know, because it wasn't a challenge, but I think the same principal applies with regards to having control of your foot.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Trying a backheel when you don't know where the ball is or what's behind you is at minimum careless and a free kick. If he caught the defender with his studs then I'd call it reckless too and make it yellow card. If you try to clear a ball by kicking it at head height and you catch someone in the face because you didn't see him, it's still a foul and you're still guilty of dangerous play.

One similar to 2) came up before once already (deliberate handball by one defender preventing a goal, second defender boots it into his own goal to prevent the red card). Hackett's verdict was goal AND red card because the first defender still committed DOGSO, an own goal doesn't negate it.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Players can and do get second yellows for overhead kicks which are a genuine attempt to get a shot on goal, but the referee deems that other players were close enough in attendance for it to be dangerous to try it. For me the thing here is about the foot being at knee height, which is a bit elaborate for my tastes with a defender nearby.

Scikar posted:

One similar to 2) came up before once already (deliberate handball by one defender preventing a goal, second defender boots it into his own goal to prevent the red card). Hackett's verdict was goal AND red card because the first defender still committed DOGSO, an own goal doesn't negate it.

I agree, if the defender caught the ball and dropped it because it was a bit wet it'd be a red, and the ref isn't expected to be a mindreader.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 19, 2011

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I don't know if it's really quantified in the rules but my instinct is to look at intent. If the last defender chasing a striker as he bears down on goal takes a swipe at his legs in a deliberate attempt to bring him down and stop him scoring, he should be sent off regardless of whether or not the striker stays on his feet and scores anyway. The times the defender should be let off the hook are when he makes a fair attempt for the ball and fails, in that case it shouldn't a red if the attackers still score. Since handball by definition must be deliberate then it should always be a red card even if the attackers still score anyway.

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?
1. Absolutely not. Neck injury aside, it's an obvious choking hazard.

2. Instinctively reaches up for it? What kind of outfield player's first instinct is 'gently caress me, I better catch this'? Goal and a red for DOGSO.

3. Strictly speaking, it's a free kick to the red team, as it's not a reckless challenge, and there's (apparently) no intent. I wouldn't surprised however, if this is somehow a second yellow and off.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
1. Get off the pitch. Neck injuries should be off the pitch and probably to a hospital. What the gently caress kind of physio is on that team?

2. Red card for DOGSO and a the goal counts.

3. If you backheal like that, completely miss and draw blood on someones thigh, its a yellow card for dangerous play. Second yellow and you are off.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Psybro posted:

2) Goal and red card for intentional handball occasioning the denial of a goalscoring opportunity.

Ice cold.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Mickolution posted:

That's the case for defenders, but not necessarily for attackers. Imagine a scenario where a striker is coming onto a ball with the intention of blasting it as hard as he could. A defender makes a clean sliding tackle from the side and clears the ball away but the attacker had already begun his kick and catches the defender as he slides, injuring him. That's never a foul. This is different, I know, because it wasn't a challenge, but I think the same principal applies with regards to having control of your foot.
I think your example is fine, but irrelevant. I think the scenario given is closer to putting on a blindfold, and running up the pitch windmilling your arms, and if anyone gets in their way it's their fault. ("If I can't see you, I can't foul you.") I think it's fundamentally impossible to aim for a ball if you're facing the other way, and as a result, all that's left is the fact that you've just kicked an opposing player as hard as you could. Straight red.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I'm assuming the full name of this column is "You Are The Ref in the evo-stik premier league because gently caress me these players are terrible and thick"

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Question: If you're giving out a red card for an offence in the penalty area, doesn't that mean that you have to award a penalty? So how can it be a goal and a red?

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Pigma_Micron posted:

Question: If you're giving out a red card for an offence in the penalty area, doesn't that mean that you have to award a penalty? So how can it be a goal and a red?

You could play advantage and still hand out a red for aggressive tackles or something.

In this case though, giving both a red and a goal would be absurd. The defender is obviously not denying a clear goalscoring opportunity when a goal is scored, people.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
He denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, and then scored an own goal. Two seperate actions.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's not DOGSO, a goal was scored. This comes up about once a month.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

1. Don't let him play. Report the physio to whatever Mickey Mouse regulatory body physiotherapists have, because there's no loving way someone injured enough to wear a neck brace is safe to play sport. Demonstrate this by putting the player in a headlock and making him cry.

2. Be sporting about it. No DOGSO, as a goal was scored. The defender didn't do it deliberately and it didn't affect play, so it's a goal and the defender goes free.

3. Second yellow for the striker and send him off. Also contact the local authority to have him sterilised for incredible stupidity, so that there's no risk of his producing progeny.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Popehoist posted:

He denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, and then scored an own goal. Two seperate actions.

Yes, the key word is 'opportunity'. The opposition player lost his, regardless of the defender's subsequent choice.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Psybro posted:

Yes, the key word is 'opportunity'. The opposition player lost his, regardless of the defender's subsequent choice.

A player is clean through goal, gets tackled illegally by the keeper, only for the ball to run free and be tapped in by another player. According to your logic, the ref should award the goal and send off the keeper. Have you ever seen a football game?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Would like to point out that the exact wording here is "denies a goal or obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberate handball", italics mine.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
1. Tell the opponent to gently caress off. Book him if he keeps whining. Allow the player to play on the grounds that the medical staff have deemed it safe.

2. Goal and book the defender for unsporting behaviour. Whether it was instinctive or not, he deliberately tried to stop the ball.

3. Book him for dangerous play. Send the dopey oval office off.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Green Eyed Loco-Man posted:

A player is clean through goal, gets tackled illegally by the keeper, only for the ball to run free and be tapped in by another player. According to your logic, the ref should award the goal and send off the keeper. Have you ever seen a football game?

In that situation, advantage has been allowed to the scoring team. Here, there is no advantage to them, only the action of the defender himself, who has already transgressed the rules with a red card offense.

By your logic I could hack someone down in the area, boot the ball in and throw a wobbly if the ref dare send me off.

Can anyone seriously claim if this scenario happened to their team, they would be completely fine with opposition player escaping an individual sanction?

Seriously, you ask if I've ever seen a football game like I've missed all of those football games where somebody handled on the line in front of the ref and wasn't sent off for it?

Psybro fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 20, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Psybro posted:

By your logic I could hack someone down in the area, boot the ball in and throw a wobbly if the ref dare send me off.

You shouldn't be sent off in that situation by the laws of the game (assuming by "hack" you mean something non-violent, hacking implies it's a red card offense without the denial of a goal), correct.

Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean that the laws change.

And were you watching the women's world cup :v:

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Psybro posted:

In that situation, advantage has been allowed to the scoring team. Here, there is no advantage to them, only the action of the defender himself, who has already transgressed the rules with a red card offense.

Can anyone seriously claim if this scenario happened to their team, they would be completely fine with opposition player escaping an individual sanction?

Seriously, you ask if I've ever seen a football game like I've missed all of those football games where somebody handled on the line in front of the ref and wasn't sent off for it?

Handballing is a non-violent act, it's only a red because it denies a goal (which it doesn't in the example provided).

A situation similar to this actually did happen during a world cup game once. A defender kept the ball of the line with his hand and the guy next to him decided red+penalty and likely goal isn't worth it and quickly tapped the ball into his own net before the ref could whistle. Goal stood, no card. I'll see if I can track the specific game I'm referring to.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean that the laws change.

And were you watching the women's world cup :v:

Aside from the fact officials characteristically ignore certain points of law, including Hackett himself in his own answers, I still think the question hinges on whether or not you're viewing the offence and the goal as two separate instances, leading to a sanction and/or a goal being allowed. I think both are defensible within the law as worded. It's then down to individual interpretation, but I think the red/goal scenario is the most likely decision by most match officials.

People are drawn in by the fact it says in the question that the defender's action is instinctive, which is information unavailable to the officials and should therefore be disregarded.

I didn't watch the Women's World Cup because I wanted a break from football and incorrectly thought Copa America would be enough on its own.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Psybro posted:

People are drawn in by the fact it says in the question that the defender's action is instinctive, which is information unavailable to the officials and should therefore be disregarded.

I don't see anyone making that argument. It's very simple = hands didn't prevent the goal, so no red card.

Take Luis Suarez' infamous "save" vs. Ghana. Imagine he had only managed to deflect it without preventing the ball from going on, do you think the referee would/should have still shown him the red? That seems like a completely absurd situation to me.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Green Eyed Loco-Man posted:

Take Luis Suarez' infamous "save" vs. Ghana. Imagine he had only managed to deflect it without preventing the ball from going on, do you think the referee would/should have still shown him the red? That seems like a completely absurd situation to me.

I would say no in that situation because he was unsuccessful. In this one, the player was successful, but then changed their mind.

I've thought of another one: what if, instead of catching the ball, our hero punched the ball away, volleyball-style, but unfortunately for him it rebounded straight off a late-arriving defender and in. Still a goal, no red?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Psybro posted:

I've thought of another one: what if, instead of catching the ball, our hero punched the ball away, volleyball-style, but unfortunately for him it rebounded straight off a late-arriving defender and in. Still a goal, no red?

Grasshopper, the offence is denying a goal by deliberate handball. How can you send someone off for denying a goal if a goal has not actually been denied?

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Trin Tragula posted:

Grasshopper, the offence is denying a goal by deliberate handball. How can you send someone off for denying a goal if a goal has not actually been denied?

In both cases, a goal was denied, then a second action occurred resulting in a goal. By your own admission the wording of the law says 'goal or goalscoring opportunity'. The wording is vague enough to justify either decision. I come down on the side of the interpretation which discourages potential abuse.]

I expect Hackett will come out and agree with you, but he doesn't know poo poo.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Psybro posted:

In both cases, a goal was denied, then a second action occurred resulting in a goal. By your own admission the wording of the law says 'goal or goalscoring opportunity'. The wording is vague enough to justify either decision. I come down on the side of the interpretation which discourages potential abuse.]

I expect Hackett will come out and agree with you, but he doesn't know poo poo.

What is this "potential abuse" you speak of? Who is being harmed by a player failing to avoid conceding a goal by committing a non-violent foul?

What could possibly be the benefit of giving a red card? The only reasoning I can see is if you regard the handball completely in a vacuum and ignore the fact that it didn't end up denying a goal (or a goalscoring opportunity) in the end, but then why would you want to do that?

• Locked thread