Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super Jay Mann posted:

Given Italy's already-united status, will they be given impetus to become a colonial power ala Castille, England, Portgual, etc? Or are they going to zero in on the Pope only?

They're definitely a potential colonial power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Munin posted:

Well, Visby was a major trading center for a long time. It isn't totally implausible.

Yeah, but Visby's position as a trading center was purely because at the time, ships had to stop there for repairs and resupply before continuing to other baltic trade ports. After the invention of better ships that could do the voyage in a single trip, Visby became redundant.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 20, 2011

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I think Thessalonika, Nicaea and Bulgaria should have a mission to annex what's left of the Byzantine Empire. That would place them at odds with each other and the Italian juggernaut. Sounds cool.

Also another cool conflict: some sort of mechanics to decide which one of those Greek states + the Russian states is going to be the Patriarchy of the Orthodox faith.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
In DW the Italian Minors have a habit of doing well in the colonial game without any pressure to do so through ideas or missions.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also please tell me you have the ability to fix Japan because seriously Paradox what the hell.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Who rules Iceland?

And seconding a strong Zimbabwe empire.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Who rules Iceland?

And seconding a strong Zimbabwe empire.

Iceland has been an independent republic all game long.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also please tell me you have the ability to fix Japan because seriously Paradox what the hell.

I like staying as a Shogun controlling all of Japan while cursing the Catholic Church for not trying to convert me so I could go on a Crusade through China.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
What is that Dutch Order enclave in the Baltics? Leftover Templars or something?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

ManifunkDestiny posted:

What is that Dutch Order enclave in the Baltics? Leftover Templars or something?

Frisia went on a crusade and conquered the area pretty much.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Frisia went on a little crusade there and eventually released the Teutonic Order, so I'm turning the whole thing into the Dutch Order. Estonia is also a Dutch holding.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Will there be a reunification of the unknown legacy, or are they considered forever lost?

I think this has been an amazing LP so far and even though I have zero understanding for the game mechanics it has still been really well-written and interesting, I applaud you for being able to deliver updates of such high quality consistently.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Thirding Greater Zimbabwe.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Andalusia should have a CoT for sure. Make it on Granada or Andalusia (the province).

This means Castille will start without a CoT of their own so they will trade through Lisbon. This is going to strenghten both Andalusia and Portugal.

Which makes me think Andalusia should have incentive to colonise and compete with Portugal and Castille for the Americas.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

theblastizard posted:

I like staying as a Shogun controlling all of Japan while cursing the Catholic Church for not trying to convert me so I could go on a Crusade through China.

I love how there's little impetus for you to ever unify Japan at all once you become shogun because you can just declare war on everyone at will and take whatever land you wanted and there isn't a drat thing anyone can do about it after the fact.

But no seriously, I hope Japan's gameplay is made sane again.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Wouldn't "Batavian Order" sound better than "Dutch Order"?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

Wouldn't "Batavian Order" sound better than "Dutch Order"?

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
So, what differences do we have from OTL and how did they come about?

England never made much progress into France, despite the lack of any unified opposition, nor did it manage to subdue Wales

OK, so the Aragonese dynasty which replaced the Angevins was much less competent than the Plantagenets were. If they didn't have much in the way of external opposition, there must have been substantial internal opposition instead. The Plantagenets spent most of the OTL 13th century defeating internal dissent in one way or another, whether through concession or open battle depending on the monarch and the situation, and then were able to go on the offensive in the 14th century. Let's say our Aragonese never quite managed it - they lacked Plantagenet bloody-mindedness and skill at arms, so they never quite brought the confrontation to a head. They're theoretically in charge but can't really rely on the enthusiastic support of much of the nobility. England has low centralisation and can be expected to resist attempts to change that. An event chain leading to an early English Civil War and a more permanent Republic could be on the cards.

France is rather a mess

Everyone else is talking about the Franco-German HRE. I'll leave them to it.

The Islamic world is much less unified

And additionally, they weren't hit nearly so hard by the Mongols as they were OTL - still pretty bad, but they had a somewhat successful reconquest which can be romanticised. Those two factors might well lead to a much more open and outward looking Islamic world than OTL, and potentially a less aggressive one, especially given the lack of European interest in crusading against Islam in the later part of CK. All of which suggests that Islamic (and, for that matter, Christian) co-tolerance is making some progress. With no unified Islamic power, Italy will dominate the Mediterranean anyway (probably - I suppose Egypt and Syria have a little to say about that, but probably not a lot), so there's less need in their few for Holy Leagues, unless, of course, the Sultans won't give them access to the markets in Damascus or Alexandria. That could go either way.

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 20, 2011

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for answering my questions Wiz.

Wiz posted:

Haven't thought of anything specifically Celtic, feel free to make suggestions.

Well, I'm not gonna be able to throw potential names out there, but an impetus to unify might make sense, especially with one Irish minor holding the throne to Brittany, one being a vassal to a foreign(ish) power, and Wales being right next to England. A unification tag in addition to or beyond the scope of Ireland might make sense.
If Ireland/Celtica does form, would it make sense for the Scottish to Gaelicize(Celticize?) their culture? Would it make sense for them to react against Celtic unity by Anglicizing their courts? If either or both of these are plausible for Scotland to do, maybe the religious differences may be the answer i.e. they move towards whoever they end up sharing their religion with.

Is this Andalusia a kick-rear end tolerant progressive technologically-advanced Andalusia or a reactionary despotism due to the fighting for Iberia?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Actually, what exactly were you going to do with Golden Horde? Are they still going to have all the horde modifiers and breakup events that go with it?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

Hardcoded.
Why is random stuff like that hardcoded when such a great majority of things are moddable? Johan! :argh:

Patter Song posted:

If Samogitia and Estonia are pagan, it could be cool. You know, since Sweden didn't get Finland until late, maybe they should still be pagan and force the Swedes into missionary work.
I would like to see some pagans around Europe. Assuming pagan provinces still change culture on conversion in DW, there's some potential for gamey shenanigans when you play in that area. (I would link to an AAR on the Paradox forums that took that to the extreme, but I can't find it right now.)

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

Ogianres posted:

Is this Andalusia a kick-rear end tolerant progressive technologically-advanced Andalusia or a reactionary despotism due to the fighting for Iberia?

This Andalusia was originally a Christian Kingdom formed by a Christian Queen, who only turned Muslim because her husband happened to be a Muslim. I'm going to lean towards Andalusia being a messed-up, confused country.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super Jay Mann posted:

Actually, what exactly were you going to do with Golden Horde? Are they still going to have all the horde modifiers and breakup events that go with it?

I'm honestly not a fan of EU3's hordes, I don't use them in my regular mod. They're probably just going to be a big pagan tribe.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Servant posted:

This Andalusia was originally a Christian Kingdom formed by a Christian Queen, who only turned Muslim because her husband happened to be a Muslim. I'm going to lean towards Andalusia being a messed-up, confused country.

The fact that they held together suggests a great deal of religious tolerance to me since it has a large christian minority.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
So how long are we looking at for conversion? Days? Weeks?......months? Just wondering, since it's well worth the wait, and the speculation and history chat in here makes it tolerable.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Servant posted:

This sort of thing really does speak to Christianity and Islam being a lot more tolerant of each other than they actually were OTL. I can still see Castille and Andalusia both trying to unify Spain, but that's through ruler ambition rather than religious drive. Or maybe they won't - maybe Castille and Aragon will go the other way, across the Pyrenees where there's no central authority to stop them.

Maybe the Andalusians will want to knock off Morocco (we can cause Islamic schisms if we need more reasons), controlling the straits of Gibraltar which will happen to become very important a bit later on should Italy want to become a colonial power.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ManifunkDestiny posted:

So how long are we looking at for conversion? Days? Weeks?......months? Just wondering, since it's well worth the wait, and the speculation and history chat in here makes it tolerable.

I'd estimate 1-2 months.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

Servant posted:

A Christian Queen marrying a Muslim King sounds like something that would only happen on a quite tolerant country to me.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wiz posted:

The fact that they held together suggests a great deal of religious tolerance to me since it has a large christian minority.
Hmmm, what's the attitude of Portugal/Castile/Aragon toward one another and Andalusia? It seems like once those four nations came out on top in Iberia the borders stabilized relatively easily. If there hasn't been a whole ton of conflict and Andalusia is fairly tolerant of its Christian minority, it almost seems like Iberia might be... you know... peaceful.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nakar posted:

Hmmm, what's the attitude of Portugal/Castile/Aragon toward one another and Andalusia? It seems like once those four nations came out on top in Iberia the borders stabilized relatively easily. If there hasn't been a whole ton of conflict and Andalusia is fairly tolerant of its Christian minority, it almost seems like Iberia might be... you know... peaceful.

They've been fighting a lot in the last few decades, just haven't amounted to much. It's worth noting that the christians have been fighting each other just as much as they have been fighting Andalusia though.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
So, what's Tamerlane been up to the last couple of years? In real history he should be kicking our Black Sheep rumps off to Egypt around now, but that appears to not have happened. Good thing too, being exiled to Egypt twice in the same LP is overkill.

Is he a general (or Khan) in the Chagatai Khanate? Did he form a Timurid state but instead focus eastward? Is he just a bit late and will be swarming across Persia with a ferocious Turkmen horde?

I'm guessing Wiz has Plans for him, but I like the idea that the Mongols were more successful in LP-land. Yuan China more or less successfully assimilated the Han and the extensive Ming rebellion never happened. The Yuan Khan has ambitious and questionably loyal vassal Ilkhans in Korea and Japan. Timur gets to be Khan in Chagatai, or possibly a Delhi Khanate. More Mongols will soothe our egos at having been so soundly trounced by the Ilkhanate, if nothing else.

Proposition Joe posted:

Also, there should be a more stable and benevolent empire in Central America to replace the Aztecs and a large, imperialist Iroquois empire stretching from Quebec to Virginia.
The Olmec Empire, 3000 years of arts, culture and only the occasional blood sacrifice, suddenly pressured by expansionist northern upstarts. It would be nifty, but given that they'll all be murdered by disease-ridden Andalusians also a bit depressing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wiz posted:

They've been fighting a lot in the last few decades, just haven't amounted to much. It's worth noting that the christians have been fighting each other just as much as they have been fighting Andalusia though.
So maybe a situation where there's a lot of skirmishing both domestically and abroad as the four (or at least three of Castile/Portugal/Andalusia) compete for colonial ventures? Not a Reconquista, but more "If anybody fucks with my colonies we're gonna have us a throwdown there and at home" with Aragon as likely to backstab Castile as Andalusia?

I like it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Is Italy going to get all of its universities? If so, they're going to be the Big Bad of this game I think. Italy is full of drat rich provinces already, the half a dozen universities they start with make playing regular EU3 Milan/Austria very easy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

An alien UFO crash lands into a humble Cherokee village, assimilates the culture of the locals and, unable to get home, instead conquer most of the northern Americas and form their own country. The europeans will be in for quite a surprise when they make their way over this century!

Okay, jokes aside, I'm just hoping for America to be shaken up a bit and made more interesting beyond being European cannon fodder.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

nimby posted:

Is Italy going to get all of its universities? If so, they're going to be the Big Bad of this game I think. Italy is full of drat rich provinces already, the half a dozen universities they start with make playing regular EU3 Milan/Austria very easy.

No, I'm going to tweak Italy a bit to make unified Italy more reasonable.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Andalusia is probably going to ally Morocco or Algiers and it's going to be a very scary thing to Castille or other Iberian Christian nations if they find themselves unaligned.

Andalusia is going to be a very fun nation to play.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Something I said in IRC and that I'm preserving here for posterity is that Italy, with warfare already breaking out between the Neapolitan King and the Pope, is a likely centre for what became the Anglican Church in OTL, with the monarch also being head of the Church. This leads (as Saurus pointed out) to obvious grounds for religious wars as the major Catholic powers get missions to restore/preserve Papal independence against the heretic Italians.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Wiz posted:

Iceland has been an independent republic all game long.
Haha. Why? Is it so worthless to take? Guessing it isn't going to come up much for us now but you know.
So we still have the Thing going on. Anarcho-Capitalism. Fwah.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
What about starting techs / tech rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

nimby posted:

European tax values are totally out of whack anyways. The way to get rich in EU3 is to aggressively not colonize and instead sit on German provinces.

• Locked thread