Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Armor-Piercing posted:

I don't know how this model is going to sell in Japan. "Buy a third PSP, except this one is useless for Monster Hunter!"

It wont because they aren't selling it in Japan, only Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

They're very much being phased out in my experience. Most major chainstores here have stopped carrying PSP hardware, especially for the 3000 series. Trying to find a new battery and memory card was like pulling teeth.
There are also so few UMDs. A gamestop I was at a while ago had some, but they had them all behind the counter, they didn't want to waste shelf space with them.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The gamestops here have a good chunk of wall for UMDs, usually right by the ps3 games. They carry more PSP games than PC.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It wont because they aren't selling it in Japan, only Europe.
In the conference the guy gave prices in euro, dollar, and yen, and he definitely wasn't explaining the exchange rate.

Edit: I'm misremembering, that was the new price for the PS3.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 17, 2011

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

sentrygun posted:

I don't think I've ever downloaded anything through my PSP due to how slow it is, and I don't know enough people with PSPs to get any real use out of the WiFi for multiplayer. I think I've only used it twice, once when playing Peace Walker through Adhoc Party and again when me and a friend played through part of the Arena in Kingdom Hearts.

Unless you're using Adhoc Party a lot or playing one of three or so games that have infrastructure multiplayer, I don't think anyone's using their WiFi much at all. I wouldn't mind a WiFi-less PSP knowing just how little I would actually use the function.

No Wifi means no multiplayer. Period.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SnakesRevenge posted:

Actually a handful of games like Field Commander had 'Hot Swap' pass-and-play multiplayer, so technically that's false. :pseudo:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember seeing the occasional preowned PSPgo at Gamestop. It was... $99 US. So I guess you could either have your UMD drive and no wireless, or no UMD drive and only wireless. Good luck finding a decent memory stick for those, by the way.

Even with the Clearance sales going on at the local department store (Sears), amongst all the discounted gear I still see a couple of sad, lonely PS2 slims and PSPgo units sitting behind the glass case, still at full price and looking very sad.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

SnakesRevenge posted:

Uh, yeah, that's what I said. AHP requires WiFi as does connecting to Infrastructure and playing with other local PSPs. Besides a few choice titles, the PSP is hardly a bastion of multiplayer gameplay. If you're not playing Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star or whatever other possibly Japanese-only games I can't think of at the moment, you're probably not using any form of multiplayer.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

redreader posted:

My psp stopped working or charging properly on AC so it's apparently a thing that happens. I think you can get a mainboard replacement or something but it's not cheap.

Not worth the effort, then. I'll just slap in a bigger battery and deal with it.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So I'm reading up on some reviews for Angry Birds (mini game), to my understanding it was up before The Dreaded Outage, then when PSN came back up there wasn't a version available (apparently some licensing issues), and now it's back on the network. Anyone know if there are any fixes in place or will this still be kind of lovely on my PSP, according to what a lot of reviews state about the game on PSP? I don't have a iPad or fancy pants smart phone to play this with, and I could benefit with it being on both my PS3 and PSP, but I'm wondering more specifically about PSP before I make the purchase.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just beat Legend of Heroes, really fun/good game imo. I hope XSEED translates the rest of the series, but man it seems like a lot of work for a small company.

Now I am trying to decide, amazon is doing a little sale on some portable games. Ys Seven or Tactics Ogre are only 15$ (and have prime!) But I had already been buying mostly off the PSN so the games would work on the psv. I feel like I am being too...obsessed with making sure my RPGs, that I may never play again, are forwards compatible. Decisions, decisions.

In Ys Seven the story isn't anything too special but the game play is really fun, right?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

ChiTownEddie posted:

In Ys Seven the story isn't anything too special but the game play is really fun, right?

I only really played Ys: Oath in Felghana (sp?) and gameplay-wise it's a completely different game (no jumping mainly). On the other hand, it's a lot easier too. I made it to the end-game, then it became hard and I gave up.

I should go back to it, level up a bit and try again.

I'm stuck at the "twin boss" (I don't remember too well, two devils/demons perhaps?)

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

ChiTownEddie posted:

The story is more than nothing special, it is flat out retarded and includes a twist at the end that makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

That said, the gameplay is excellent and the story can be ignored.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arcaeris posted:

The story is more than nothing special, it is flat out retarded and includes a twist at the end that makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

That said, the gameplay is excellent and the story can be ignored.
I'm playing seven right now and that is my impression of the story. Are all Ys this kind of (I assume?) deliberately cliched into the ground story?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

90% of the games worth playing came out in the last 2-3 years. First impressions are everything, and the PSP somehow managed an even worse one than the DS. Can't blame people who didn't keep up with game releases for assuming the PSP is still poo poo.

Any good suggestions beyond what I might find on PSN then? Gone through a lot of the Square-Enix catalog and it's a bit of a pain to find any really good titles I should be looking for in bargain bins or used given that I... kinda didn't pay attention to the platform for the entirety of its lifespan.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Persona 3 Portable, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Phantasy Star Portable 2, Dissidia.

I never played the portable God of War games, but I liked the first two on PS2 so they might work on PSP. I did play the PSP port of Dante's Inferno, and it was pretty crap. Also I don't know if any of those are on PSN anyway. Actually, is Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the US PSN? I know it and the expansion, PSP2 Infinity, are on the Japanese PSN.

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm playing seven right now and that is my impression of the story. Are all Ys this kind of (I assume?) deliberately cliched into the ground story?

Seven is unusually cliched for the series. It's not that the other games have fantastic plots, but they're a lot less "collect the X elemental maguffins" and have much less boring exposition. Seven borrows a lot more from JRPG staples, and for some reason this includes the plot.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The portable God of War games are pretty good, they're a little janky without the right analog stick for dodging, but it still works pretty well. I also really liked Ace Combat: Joint Assault, but I'm gay for pretty much anything with planes.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought Ghost of Sparta was a better sequel to GoW 2 than GoW 3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Azubah posted:

I thought Ghost of Sparta was a better sequel to GoW 2 than GoW 3.
Wow, that's high praise.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, I just noticed "Cladun X2" appear on PSN. The first Cladun had issues but I thought it was pretty good. What's the deal with this release? Is it any good?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Any good suggestions beyond what I might find on PSN then? Gone through a lot of the Square-Enix catalog and it's a bit of a pain to find any really good titles I should be looking for in bargain bins or used given that I... kinda didn't pay attention to the platform for the entirety of its lifespan.

In addition to what everyone else said...
Zettai Hero Project (Z.H.P. in the store) is a pretty good roguelike made by Nippon Ichi. If that sounds appealing to you, get it.
I'm sure you know of Tactics Ogre, but its recent PSP remake is really quite excellent.
Knights in the Nightmare is can be a maddeningly confusing SRPG/Bullet Hell mix but is really rewarding once you start figuring it out and get into it.
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is actually fantastic, as opposed to the lackluster Portable Ops.
The Ys games are good old-fashioned action-adventures like the 2D Zelda games.
Prinny 2 is a pretty good 2D platformer that's romhack hard but has a sense of humor about it.
Patapon 2 and 3 are really endearing and fun rhythm game/2d RTS hybrids.

edit: Ooohhh, beyond the PSN, not ON the PSN. Well, sorry. At least MGS:PW and Tactics Ogre can be found in stores, though. Not sure about the rest.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 20, 2011

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, that's high praise.

The tone felt right and it gave Kratos the humanity he needed to be a compelling character instead of the weird rear end twist they did with Pandora's Box in the third game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

So, I just noticed "Cladun X2" appear on PSN. The first Cladun had issues but I thought it was pretty good. What's the deal with this release? Is it any good?

Cladun X2 basically improves on almost everything (character editor is more involved, there's a custom gear editor, Rand-geon has more of everything, your magic circles don't really require 10 pain-stakingly ground characters) at the exception of multiplayer which they all but removed (all you can do over mp is trade characters apparently).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Emalde posted:

Cladun X2 basically improves on almost everything (character editor is more involved, there's a custom gear editor, Rand-geon has more of everything, your magic circles don't really require 10 pain-stakingly ground characters) at the exception of multiplayer which they all but removed (all you can do over mp is trade characters apparently).

Hmm, I'm gonna have to check that out. Grinding a bunch of no-names for magic circle fodder somehow wore out its charm fast on me.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Justice posted:

Actually, is Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the US PSN? I know it and the expansion, PSP2 Infinity, are on the Japanese PSN.

My friend got it on his PSP go, so that would be a definite yes.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Emalde posted:

Should I play Cladun before X2 or can I just skip it?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Luminaflare posted:

Should I play Cladun before X2 or can I just skip it?

Cladun 1 can be completely skipped but you should play it anyway, NIS does a good job on these. Game is hella grindy though.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

One thing that has been ticking me off regarding PSP lately is Atlus' lovely prices. NIS and XSeed release great niche games too, and they charge reasonable prices. In what universe is Class of Heroes worth forty loving dollars? It came out in 2009 and isn't even very good, lower the drat price!

Even Square-Enix charges less than these assholes.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Yeah I noticed that myself but with other companies, for example someone trying to push out a Crash Bandicoot PSP game for $29.99 from like last year :lol::lol:

(Can't get on my PSP for reference right now, might check later)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Wendell posted:

One thing that has been ticking me off regarding PSP lately is Atlus' lovely prices. NIS and XSeed release great niche games too, and they charge reasonable prices. In what universe is Class of Heroes worth forty loving dollars? It came out in 2009 and isn't even very good, lower the drat price!

Even Square-Enix charges less than these assholes.

Atlus seems to have at least a couple 50% off PSN sales a year. You're right they should just drop the regular prices, but at least they actually do sales.

Even at 50% off I still feel like I paid too much for Crimson Gem Saga.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Even at 50% off I still feel like I paid too much for Crimson Gem Saga.

I share your pain. I bought it for the full price a month ago and it's going to be a while before I trust Atlus again.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Now I want to know why you guys hate Crimson Gem Saga so much. I haven't played it, so I'm not defending it, I just wanna know.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Wendell posted:

Now I want to know why you guys hate Crimson Gem Saga so much. I haven't played it, so I'm not defending it, I just wanna know.

I don't really hate it, it's just an incredibly bland generic RPG. In a weird sort of way I might actually get more entertainment value out of it if it was a bit worse, but it fails to even be "so bad it's fun to bitch about".

A bunch of posters warned me about it when I bought it with a bunch of other Atlus titles during the last half off sale. I'm sure next time one comes around a few people will ignore my warnings.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Crimson Gem Saga was developed by some Korean studio and published in NA by Atlus USA. Just so no one thinks it was developed by Atlus Co.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Justice posted:

Crimson Gem Saga was developed by some Korean studio and published in NA by Atlus USA. Just so no one thinks it was developed by Atlus Co.

Someone mentioned an iPhone version of it, was it originally developed as a phone game? By phone standards it'd probably be one of the better RPGs out there, but on the PSP especially coming off of Persona 3 Portable and Tactics Ogre in the last few months it was pretty underwhelming.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
It's not really that the game is some kind of abomination but I found it lacking in pretty much all areas except visuals. Without being exactly challenging, it manages to be tedious. For comparison's sake, I think Lunar is a much better game (although hopelessly easy and a bit creepy) and it costs :10bux: less.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
It may be almost a whole year later, but let me just say that if you enjoyed either of the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games (That GBA card game was kind of meh), you should really look into Birth By Sleep. I put off really getting into it when I got it last Christmas, but I tried it again on a whim and it's ended up sucking most of my weekend away. It has probably the best and most creative battle system of the series, and really the only thing holding me back from saying it's miles ahead of the first two is the nitpicky fact that that Disney films they chose for this are mostly stuff I haven't seen for ages (Snow White) or stuff I don't like much (Peter Pan, Cinderella). I did get a nostalgic kick out of the Stitch and Hercules levels, though, and I'm up to the last boss on my first playthrough with Terra, and there is a great "Oh poo poo" moment when you find out both what the deal is with the villain and how he ties into the original games. Fun times.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Be careful if you get a Photofast CR-5400 microSD -> produo adapter card. It sticks in the slot sometimes and will require something to help you get it outta there.

Of course if you have a 32GB card in your slot it's unlikely you'll need to take it out often, but you never know.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have to say, MediaGo is not a terrible piece of software. I've just been so wary of it because of bad experiences with Sony poo poo and my old Minidisc player. It's definitely a great way to browse the store and a much faster way to get software onto the PSP.

That said, some of the pricing is killing me. I do love my Go and have a couple dozen A-list titles on it courtesy of sales and price drops. I'd love to rebuy some games, but $20 for the Gradius Collection, $16 for Wipeout Pure, and $23 for Wipeout Pulse are all way too much considering they're a couple of bucks used on UMD.

I'll get the FF IV remake when it drops from $30... Tactics Ogre when it drops from $40. I don't blame them for pricing relatively new games that high.

On the other hand, FF Tactics PSP for $10 is a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Behonkiss posted:

It may be almost a whole year later, but let me just say that if you enjoyed either of the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games (That GBA card game was kind of meh), you should really look into Birth By Sleep. I put off really getting into it when I got it last Christmas, but I tried it again on a whim and it's ended up sucking most of my weekend away. It has probably the best and most creative battle system of the series, and really the only thing holding me back from saying it's miles ahead of the first two is the nitpicky fact that that Disney films they chose for this are mostly stuff I haven't seen for ages (Snow White) or stuff I don't like much (Peter Pan, Cinderella). I did get a nostalgic kick out of the Stitch and Hercules levels, though, and I'm up to the last boss on my first playthrough with Terra, and there is a great "Oh poo poo" moment when you find out both what the deal is with the villain and how he ties into the original games. Fun times.

This is the PSP kingdom hearts game that came out near the end of last year? I never got really into it. Does it get better the more you play it? I didn't hate it, it just seemed 'almost good', as opposed to great.

• Locked thread