Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Just saw a pic on a certain imageboard not well liked around here of a very dead Gadhaffi.

Obviously about 90% chance of being fake, but couldn't see any obvious clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i find all your bitching tiresome, here is a kid holding another kid

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Loving this propaganda on FNC. "They've fallen into democracy...perhaps the influence of the United States and NATO..."

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KillerKatten posted:

Just saw a pic on a certain imageboard not well liked around here of a very dead Gadhaffi.

Obviously about 90% chance of being fake, but couldn't see any obvious clues.

Can you upload it somewhere and link to it? NWS tags might be in order

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Besesoth posted:

DAT OIL.

Also, as mentioned, Libya's strategic importance in North Africa.

You people know that the west was already getting access to most of the oil Gaddafi had, right?

Anyway, it's on like Donkey Kong, and the war will be probably be over this week. And the loving west will not install a puppet regime in Libya, it's not the loving Cold War, goddamn.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
It'll be doctored like that picture of bin Laden's cadaver which made it into The Time.

empiricus
Apr 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Uglycat posted:

I don't know if you realize this, but getting butthurt is not a sign of strength.

Shut up. You backed away from the first claim you made. You literally changed your argument after you were proven wrong and then made a new one. Just admit you were very wrong.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
Picture from Le Monde from inside the Rixos hotel

They're also reporting that the Libyan embassy in Cairo has been surrounded by police

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Mr.Showtime posted:

France and specifically Mitterand was heavily involved with what took place in Rwanada.

I don't want to derail and this is probably a debate for another time, but it still doesn't justify/explain the non-reaction of other NATO members. Clinton himself specifically stated that not helping Rwanda was one of his biggest failures.

Nevertheless, I've done quite a bit of work on the Rwandan genocide and in recent charitable efforts to help Rwandan orphans gain a university education there, and the general feeling on the issue from many is 'gently caress the west (especially the US) for not helping us, I guess human lives aren't as important as resources you can pull out of the ground'.

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004

Zorba the Greek posted:

Yeah. This is what I was trying to say pretty much. I tripped up on my words somewhat but this is what I was trying to say. Especially about Rwanda but I kinda got tripped up with my words and I didn't include it.

I agree they needed NATO at the beginning I should say then.

This too. I mean these rebels aren't going to be in power are they? NATO and the UN are going to end up putting in a puppet leader and they're going to suffer still... It's horrible.

The only reason we we're able to install a US friendly govt. in Iraq was because we sent over 150,000 soldiers and spent over a trillion dollars to control the insurgency. NATO nor the UN has the kind of resources to subjugate Libya in the manner you describe (which honestly was quite vague).

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Has Mohammed El Senussi, the current Crown Prince of Libya, come out with a statement today? What's his position in all this? Is he even relevant?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ace Oliveira posted:

You people know that the west was already getting access to most of the oil Gaddafi had, right?

Perhaps I was not clear enough that I was making fun of the people saying "NATO's just there so we can have more oil". :v:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lorn Wayne posted:

I don't want to derail and this is probably a debate for another time, but it still doesn't justify/explain the non-reaction of other NATO members. Clinton himself specifically stated that not helping Rwanda was one of his biggest failures.

Nevertheless, I've done quite a bit of work on the Rwandan genocide and in recent charitable efforts to help Rwandan orphans gain a university education there, and the general feeling on the issue from many is 'gently caress the west (especially the US) for not helping us, I guess human lives aren't as important as resources you can pull out of the ground'.

But you can see a straight line from there to here, down to former Clinton people actually being the one to push Obama to back the intervention here. In this case, we actually moved forward.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

SkyNews reports that the prosecutor for the International Criminal Court told CNN that talks will be held with the National Transitional Council about transferring Gaddafi's son, Saif Gaddafi, to the Hague.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I love these dudes just shooting flames into the air from spray cans+lighters in the crowd. It's a celebration!

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

Arkane posted:

Can you upload it somewhere and link to it? NWS tags might be in order

:nms:/:nws: http://i.imgur.com/5joK5.jpg :nms:/:nws:

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Shageletic posted:

But you can see a straight line from there to here, down to former Clinton people actually being the one to push Obama to back the intervention here. In this case, we actually moved forward.

Only because Rwanada wasn't "important" in the eyes of the West...

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Looks like him, but then again it also looks like a wax model :/

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Megiddo posted:

Loving this propaganda on FNC. "They've fallen into democracy...perhaps the influence of the United States and NATO..."

"I guess maybe the Obama Doctrine at work... WHAT DID I JUST SAY?!!!" :smith:

:grabs Wall Street Journal for some feel good news:

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Looks really fake. How is he keeping his hand in that position. Rigor doesn't set in *that* quickly.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

KillerKatten posted:

If thats real, it looks like a suicide.

But yeah, pretty fake.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aidan_702 posted:

Looks like him, but then again it also looks like a wax model :/

I was going to say, it's very rubber-masky.

Watching the Twitter search feed for "Tripoli" is pretty funny. Every 40-50 tweets or so there's someone saying "BREAKING: LIBYAN REBELS APPROACHING TRIPOLI", and every 100 or so someone's saying "THE REBELS ARE NOWHERE NEAR TRIPOLI, EVERYTHING THERE IS NORMAL".

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

KillerKatten posted:

That's one of the photos from the Bin Laden raid with Qadaafi's face over it. The neon-green toy gun under his shoulder is the giveaway.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"Looks like Gaddafi is never gonna get that promotion to General."

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Renamed "Marty's Square"?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zorba the Greek posted:

Somewhat. They couldn't have but somewhat yeah. Over-throwing Gaddafi is something the West have wanted for a while (with good reason) and accessing the oil will be far easier now that he'll be gone, unfortunatley.

I can't think of a single liberation movement in the last 300 years that has been successful without outside interference though off the top of my head... outside of maybe the French revolution and that's not exactly a good thing to wish on anyone. Every revolution gets support from foreign influences either via weapon sales, military training, or in this case strait up military assistance. Furthermore, yes Libya has oil but it's not like Europe wasn't getting it already anyway before the revolution started to to blindly claim that oil, or even virgin markets for European goods was the real reason NATO was there is completely naive given that the UN has significantly stepped up it's willingness to intervene on behalf of protecting civilians following their disastrous non handling of Rwanda.

Zorba the Greek posted:

This too. I mean these rebels aren't going to be in power are they? NATO and the UN are going to end up putting in a puppet leader and they're going to suffer still... It's horrible.

From everything I'm recalling earlier in this thread (I think around April/May if you want to go back and look) the UN had already laid out that it's letting the NTC follow through with it's plans (that have already been posted in this thread) on being the interim government while a new constitution is drafted and voted on, with nation wide elections for government leadership positions following. All votes will be monitored by the UN and NATO with the overall timetable for those things being something on the order of 18-24 months post Gaddafi. With no foreign troops having a presence in the country I would be willing to guess that out of the last three governments to have NATO bomb them into oblivion (Iraq and Afghanistan are the other two FYI) Libya has the best odds of coming out of this in good to great shape in that 10-20 year time line.

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
Some really tense footage on aljazeera right now in Tripoli Martyr Square. I know they are celebrating, but all those guns :ohdear:

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

Priapist posted:

That's one of the photos from the Bin Laden raid with Qadaafi's face over it. The neon-green toy gun under his shoulder is the giveaway.

Yeah, didn't even notice that at first, I was wondering where all the blood came from as it looks like a headshot with a severe lack of bulletholes.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
I think it's supposed to look like he put the gun in his throat.

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!

pincky posted:

Some really tense footage on aljazeera right now in Tripoli Martyr Square. I know they are celebrating, but all those guns :ohdear:

No kidding. I just popped in here to see if anyone has the name of the reporter, I'm worried about her.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I can't think of a single liberation movement in the last 300 years that has been successful without outside interference though off the top of my head... outside of maybe the French revolution and that's not exactly a good thing to wish on anyone. Every revolution gets support from foreign influences either via weapon sales, military training, or in this case strait up military assistance. Furthermore, yes Libya has oil but it's not like Europe wasn't getting it already anyway before the revolution started to to blindly claim that oil, or even virgin markets for European goods was the real reason NATO was there is completely naive given that the UN has significantly stepped up it's willingness to intervene on behalf of protecting civilians following their disastrous non handling of Rwanda.

From everything I'm recalling earlier in this thread (I think around April/May if you want to go back and look) the UN had already laid out that it's letting the NTC follow through with it's plans (that have already been posted in this thread) on being the interim government while a new constitution is drafted and voted on, with nation wide elections for government leadership positions following. All votes will be monitored by the UN and NATO with the overall timetable for those things being something on the order of 18-24 months post Gaddafi. With no foreign troops having a presence in the country I would be willing to guess that out of the last three governments to have NATO bomb them into oblivion (Iraq and Afghanistan are the other two FYI) Libya has the best odds of coming out of this in good to great shape in that 10-20 year time line.

Fair enough. I stand corrected on many points I made then. I do like the point you made that I have bolded about Rwanda. I retract my previous statements. I think my main opposition to is was due to the whole Rwanda gently caress up but I do completely get the point you made.

I didn't know about the plans that the UN/NATO made so thanks for pointing that out to me. I'll check that out.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Sally Slug posted:

No kidding. I just popped in here to see if anyone has the name of the reporter, I'm worried about her.

Zeina Khodr

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MaoistBanker posted:

Martyr's. Al-Jazeera corrected that typo.

Does anyone have a link to Gaddafi's final speech? I only started following this breaking news news a few minutes ago.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
MSNBC has switched to live coverage, if you're into them.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

MaoistBanker posted:

Great Scott!

Anyway, what I'm really looking forward to is any coverage of the reaction to this in Syria. Anyone seen any such coverage yet?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chamale posted:

Does anyone have a link to Gaddafi's final speech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGq5H4P7rMg

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Is anyone else slightly concerned that MQ might choose to go out in a blaze of glory, and up-end his chemical weapon stocks? If he even has access to them anymore? It's known he has stock-piles of mustard gas left over from the bad old days.

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped
Russia Today is still laughable, putting on people in the hotel that say they are frightened and scared by the rebels advance, while Matthew Price is just as calm as a cucumber and not worried at all.

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!

lorn Wayne posted:

Zeina Khodr

Thanks, I'm going to camp out on her Twitter until I know she's okay. I mean I get that reporters endanger their lives all the time, but it's a little unreal to see something like that live with the reporter pretty obviously freaked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

Is anyone else slightly concerned that MQ might choose to go out in a blaze of glory, and up-end his chemical weapon stocks? If he even has access to them anymore? It's known he has stock-piles of mustard gas left over from the bad old days.

I don't think even his most dedicated followers are going to be the ones to pull the actual trigger on that, knowing there is going to be a dramatic change in management before the week is out.

• Locked thread