Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

At this point, if Gaddafi is in Tripoli, I don't imagine the rebels will let him leave. If he's stuck in his compound they'll just surround it, secure the rest of Tripoli, and hammer the poo poo out of it.

That's an "if," though. People have speculated he might be in his hometown of Sirte, too, or in other parts of Tripoli, or even in Tunisia (seems less likely at this point, since his sons were apparently still in Libya, but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Yeah, that ship has sailed, hell, that ship has been boarded by NATO patrols and impounded. It's over , It's been over for hours now, whatever happens to him is for the Libyans to decide.

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped
David Cameron is about to come out, The police guard is the same dude from the riots.
I'm guessing Camerons statement is just gonna be another step down gaddafi speech.

That guard must have the most boring job ever, atleast he's been on tv alot lately.

griffia fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 22, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Unconfirmed reports on Twitter that Khamis Gaddafi is leading his forces into the centre of Tripoli.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Love how the first thing I see when firing up the BBC feed this morning is about Libyan oil.

e: the BBC ambush also looked pretty insane

lorn Wayne fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 22, 2011

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well here's David Cameron.

And yeah, the convoy ambush was insane. Using AA guns on people, ow.

e: So Cameron wants troops in Tripoli?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lindsey Hilsum is tweeting more from Tripoli

quote:

I asked a man at the side fo the a road "where is Gaddafi" - he said "gone with the wind"
Amazing reception down Gargaresh Street for the rebels from Jalu in a huge convoy of vehicles with weaponry
Man on the street shows me his 7-year-old son who's been out with him all night, starting barricades to secure the revolution.
He says he will never forget that night
Half a dozen vehicles full of women and children driving past, giving "v" for victory signs and cheering

As is Alex Crawford

quote:

Doctors seriously stretched in Tripoli's only working hospital. Very few staff, piles of rubbish everywhere. 2 young children among wounded
Sound of gunfire and shelling continues. Docs appeal for pressure on both sides to stop attacking the hospital. Horrendous conditions here

James Fletcher too

quote:

Rebels telling us pro-G troops now wearing civvies and pretending to be rebels to launch ambushes

And from Sky

quote:

Sky Sources: Libyan rebels advancing north from Gharyan towards Tripoli
The Sky reporter in Gharyan said yesterday the rebels in Gharyan had decided to secure the rear while waiting for orders to move onto Tripoli.
Audio report from the BBC about an ambush in Tripoli

Looking back on Gaddafi's rule (long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9ady-KBl8

The Fall of Tripoli (long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZYrPDroXjw

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 22, 2011

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
"Anti-Gaddafi hackers have defaced Libya's internet domain name registry, computer security company Sophos reports. BBC Monitoring says the nic.ly site currently shows a Libyan rebel flag and the words "bye bye Gaddafi"."

Haha, that is brilliant.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

CeeJee posted:

This is all a clever ruse by the brilliant Colonel to draw the rebels into a certain defeat.

http://rt.com/news/foreign-trapped-hotel-tripoli-975/
Has this woman never watched Downfall?
:psyduck:
(The "Hitler rages at dinner about Himmler's defection" scene segued into one where he replaced Goering with Robert Ritter von Greim as Luftwaffe commander, then told him that the Russian invasion of Berlin was actually a ploy of Hitler's, who had three armies from Prague ready to attack the Soviets from behind, plus Kesselring in the south and Doenitz in the north... this sounds oddly like her.)

Incidentally, from AJE:

quote:

NATO says that it will be continuing flying combat air patrols over Libya until all pro-Gaddafi troops either surrender or stand down.

The alliance's warplanes have flown nearly 20,000 sorties in the past five months,including about 7,500 strike attacks against Gaddafi's forces.
Also, the "hits" report, also from AJE's live blog:

quote:

NATO has just released its daily operational media update for August 21.

126 sorties were flown on Sunday, with 46 being strike sorties.

NATO says it hit three command and control facilities, one military facility, two radar facilities, nine surface-to-air missile launchers, one tank and two armed vehicles in Tripoli.

It says it hit one radar facility near Bin Ghashir and five surface-to-air missiles near al-Azizyah.

Fifteen NATO ships have been enforcing the arms embargo on Libya in the Mediterranean. Fourteen vessels were hailed and two boardings conducted on August 21.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So what's the country-wide situation? What cities are in rebel control?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sir John Falstaff posted:

That would be this Lizzie Phelan (random but representative quotes):

http://lizziesliberation.wordpress.com/

Wow, that is great.

Lizzie's Liberation posted:

LIBYA/ENGLAND, WHICH IS THE POLICE STATE?

Don't get me wrong, the British government is pretty heavy-handed about some of this, but some perspective here.

Past that, the way every single post on the blog has the "Anti-Imperialist" tag. How the rebels are unironically called "counterrevolutionaries" because obviously the forty-year entrenched dictator really embodies revolution in Libya. The claims about how the full force of NATO (as if they were using it) isn't able to make any effect against Libyan resolve, and the "rats" are losing ground to the true believers at every turn. It's just weird thinking that people read this stuff, and believe it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Again, Killer robot, see Downfall. As for believers of her, besides Russia Today? After my experience with "camwhore" spambots on IM clients, I'd dare suggest that part of it may be bots talking back at one another...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Arkane posted:

So what's the country-wide situation? What cities are in rebel control?

It's a bit unclear at the moment, there's been various claims made about different cities, but as all the journalists are in Tripoli or heading to Tripoli there's no indepedent confirmation. Zliten is definitely under rebel control, as it Gharyan and Zawiyah (obviously). There were claims about Tarhuna, Zwura and Azziziyah, but nothing that's been confirmed yet.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Mohammed's going on about how violence is bad, and about how he has never been aggressive to anyone.
HhhhhhhhhhhAh.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Does anyone have any idea what the situation is in southern Libya? I know Sabha is Qaddafi controlled and Al Jawf is rebel controlled but is there any information about the rest of that part of the country? I saw an article months ago about the southern front but since then nothing. Obviously what's happening up north, and especially in Tripoli is exciting but I've been wondering how much of the country is still Qaddafi controlled, at this point is it pretty much just Sirt, Sabha and that bit of the coast between Zawiyah and the Tunisian border? Or is most of the south still controlled by Qaddafi loyalists?

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped
Muhammad wasn't interested in going into politics but he did have a sweet job running sattelite/ phone and internet services in Libya. So he will most likely be held accountable for shutting down communications.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

stereobreadsticks posted:

Does anyone have any idea what the situation is in southern Libya? I know Sabha is Qaddafi controlled and Al Jawf is rebel controlled but is there any information about the rest of that part of the country? I saw an article months ago about the southern front but since then nothing. Obviously what's happening up north, and especially in Tripoli is exciting but I've been wondering how much of the country is still Qaddafi controlled, at this point is it pretty much just Sirt, Sabha and that bit of the coast between Zawiyah and the Tunisian border? Or is most of the south still controlled by Qaddafi loyalists?

All I've seen from Sabha is a video of protesters burning down a billboard of Gaddafi, but nothing else that's solid information. There was a story a while back about a group of rebels from the far south causing all sorts of problems for Gaddafi, but nothing else from then on. One question is where the Gaddafi forces in the south would be refuelled and reinforced from, because they are cut off from most of the country now.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Meh.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 2, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

lorn Wayne posted:

Love how the first thing I see when firing up the BBC feed this morning is about Libyan oil.

e: the BBC ambush also looked pretty insane

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14613653

I can only find that, which is an audio recording, is there video somewhere?

edit: vv thanks

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 22, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14613653

I can only find that, which is an audio recording, is there video somewhere?

Here you go
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14612843

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
But I thought AJE was a terrorist network!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Falken posted:

quote:

Anti-Gaddafi hackers have defaced Libya's internet domain name registry, computer security company Sophos reports. BBC Monitoring says the nic.ly site currently shows a Libyan rebel flag and the words "bye bye Gaddafi"...

It does indeed...

quote:

bye bye Qadaffi
Feb 17 Libya
Greetz to
Dr.exe | Qnix | Rock-Master | LoverBoy | r1z
sec-r1z.com
And All Muslim Hackers :)
libya17fb2011@yahoo.com
anti-hacker@hotmail.com

Edit: I wonder whether they actually hacked it online or got onto the premises and changed it there. Were they even "hackers" or just possibly ex-employees with access to the passwords etc.?

Edit 2: It's run from Tripoli after all

quote:

REGISTRY WHOIS FOR NIC.LY

Registrant:
Libya Telecom and Technology
AbdulNasir A. Al-Tubuly
Abu Seta,Near Al-Furusia,
Al-Shutt St.
Tripoli
Libya
Phone: + 218 (21) 3400020
Fax: + 218 (21) 3400039
Email Masking Image@lttnet.net

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 22, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Audio report from the Guardian in Green Square
http://audioboo.fm/boos/446766

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

quote:

@AJELive #Libya Rebels say NATO planning to strike walls of Gaddafi's Tripoli compound, advise citizens to stay clear.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Also, from Reuters

quote:

Libya's Prime Minister Al-Mahmoudi and head of Libyan TV union are in Tunisia - Al Jazeera TV

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a Guardian interactive map of the current military situation in Libya.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looking at the Guardian map I notice Bin Jawad, Brega and Ras Lanuf are marked under rebel control. Anyone got any links reporting that, I seem to have missed it?
Also from Reuters:

quote:

FLASH: One of Gaddafi's sons, Al-Mutassim, is in Bab Al-Azizya compound in Tripoli - Al-Arabiya TV

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This LA Times articles about the Nafusa rebels is worth a read:

quote:

Libya's gritty mountain rebels may have turned tide in Tripoli
The revolt against Moammar Kadafi was born in the eastern city of Benghazi, long a caldron of discontent with the autocratic ruler.

The uprising gained traction during bloody spring battles in coastal Misurata, Libya's third-largest city, where residents barricaded streets with shipping containers in ferocious urban warfare.

But it is a rebel thrust from the west that may prove decisive in bringing an end to Kadafi's more than four-decade reign.

Photos: Conflict in Libya

The push by guerrilla fighters from Libya's isolated Berber highlands, the rugged Nafusa Mountains near the Tunisian border, was one front too many for Kadafi's depleted and sometimes demoralized forces.

Before the mountain fighters made major gains, Kadafi's troops were already facing grave threats in the east, as well as intensive NATO bombardment that targeted the capital, other key locations and equipment.

NATO bombings made it almost impossible for the government to move large concentrations of troops. Airstrikes by the alliance on Kadafi's armored units in March prevented government forces from retaking Benghazi.

The regime successfully managed to thwart rebel advances into the cites of Port Brega and Zlitan, east of Tripoli, but its ranks were stretched thin, despite reported additions of young conscripts.

That was partly the result of Kadafi's own choices. His army never reached the size of those of Middle Eastern autocrats such as Iraq's Saddam Hussein or the Assad dynasty in Syria. Rebels often said that Kadafi, who led a coup as a junior officer, didn't trust military commanders.

It now seems possible that Kadafi's government, its forces overtaxed, lacking coordination and without any centralized command and control, underestimated the threat from a western rebel force that for weeks has been no more than 50 miles from the capital.

The uprising in the Nafusa Mountains was so little noticed early on that the fighting often barely merited mention as the world focused on dramatic events in and around Benghazi and Misurata.

In the end, however, the western rebels' tenacity and proximity to Tripoli seemed crucial in breaking down what the government had long boasted was a virtually impregnable wall of security around the capital.

As insurgent offensives stalled near Benghazi and Misurata, fighters made up of Arabs and ethnic Berbers, or Amazigh, tenaciously gained ground in the west. There is no indication the western fighters possessed superior firepower or were better trained than their undisciplined comrades in the east. But geography was certainly an ally.

In the east, rebels struggled to move forward in flat desert terrain that proved advantageous for Kadafi's artillery and rocket launchers, often well concealed from allied aircraft. In contrast, the western fighters engaged in a guerrilla war on turf that was intimately familiar to them. Supplies arrived via a captured post on the Tunisian border.

By June, the mountain fighters had largely gained control of the highlands and were filtering into the plains that led to the coast and the capital, the ultimate prize. Tribal links to lowland populations probably aided their advance. Government officials in Tripoli betrayed no sense of alarm.

The western insurgent ranks bulged with new volunteers from places such as Zawiya, a city just west of Tripoli that sits astride the crucial supply route between Tripoli and the Tunisian border. Kadafi's troops had brutally crushed a rebellion there in March.

In June, when renewed fighting erupted near Zawiya, the government dismissed it as the work of a handful of mountain infiltrators who would find no allies in the coastal areas.

It appears the opposite happened. Volunteers from Zawiya and other towns and villages joined the advancing mountain fighters. And the recent capture of Zawiya, which severed Kadafi's supply line, signaled that his days were numbered.

Throughout the conflict, Kadafi's government seems to have rejected the notion that a motley group of mountain dwellers could move on the leader's inner sanctum.

"We're not worried about these so-called rebels," Musa Ibrahim, the government's chief spokesman, said in June after clashes with western rebels erupted anew near Zawiya. "What is a problem for us is NATO."

Still, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization strikes near Benghazi and Misurata ultimately did not trigger what seems to be the final assault on the capital. That task would fall to the fighters from Libya's rugged west.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Arkane posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if NATO just sent attack helicopters in this time. Bombing the complex with fighters seems too much chance of collateral. At least with helicopters you can get a degree of precision that's handy for close-in fights like this.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Young Freud posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if NATO just sent attack helicopters in this time. Bombing the complex with fighters seems too much chance of collateral. At least with helicopters you can get a degree of precision that's handy for close-in fights like this.

What happens if they get shot down? I'd figure the risk of that clusterfuck outweighs the fallback of a few more civilians getting killed on the cusp of victory.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What happens if they get shot down? I'd figure the risk of that clusterfuck outweighs the fallback of a few more civilians getting killed on the cusp of victory.

They've been using Apaches successfully for months now. With Tripoli as good as liberated, most heavy AA assets are gone and the threat to an Apache is quite low. Besides, it's not as if they have to hover above the compound to get a shot or anything - they can easily fire a Hellfire with pin-point precision from a few miles away, well out of range for man-portable AA launchers and yet far more precise than a guided missile fired from a fixed wing.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Mustafa Jalil is on AJE at the moment, if you want to check out the stream.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Well, it's not like Somalia where you had Blackhawks falling into crowds of angry militiamen. Tripoli is mostly friendly territory now, so if there's a shoot-down they'll be falling into rebel hands or at least close enough for a rescue.

The risk of getting a helicopter shot down has always been there since they've been using them a few months ago. However, I'll admit they've been bringing them out at night to hit tanks and convoys, so that might be when they use them, if at all. Let the rebels lay siege during the day and then bring in the Apaches and Tigers and use their 30mm or Hellfires on anything in the compound. It's not like they have anything heavier than brick walls now for protection, so both are much more effective for that type of work than small arms and heavy machineguns. Compared to even a JDAM, using the helicopters as close-air support would be like using a sniper rifle compared to using an automatic weapon. The fact that the FLIR can be used to identify and acquire targets in real time, as opposed to the rebels calling in coordinates and then waiting 15 minutes to half hour for a sortie and hoping that target remains in that location, is a boon.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Young Freud posted:

I doubt it, every man and his dog in Tripoli is packing a ZU-23-2, it would be safer to stick with bombing. I would imagine a rebel looks quite similar to a Gaddafi die-hard to an Apache pilot, there must be a fair bit of friendly fire already without an Apache stumbling onto a scene and turning everyone into mincemeat.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I wonder if there is a threat from Zuwarah. From the map it looks like a city that can still get resupply from Tunisia and now that the rebels are moving in on Tripoli it's in their rear. I also wonder what the NATO air cover for along the road from there to Sabratha is like. I would imagine it's not very safe to drive in long convoys on that stretch.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

I wonder if there is a threat from Zuwarah. From the map it looks like a city that can still get resupply from Tunisia and now that the rebels are moving in on Tripoli it's in their rear. I also wonder what the NATO air cover for along the road from there to Sabratha is like. I would imagine it's not very safe to drive in long convoys on that stretch.

I doubt convoys would make it, they'd have to cross some rebel supply routes, and AWACS aircraft would pick up any movement like that.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Dilettante. posted:

I doubt it, every man and his dog in Tripoli is packing a ZU-23-2, it would be safer to stick with bombing.
Most of those would be outside the compound in rebel hands by now given what happened at the Khamis brigade barracks earlier in the weekend.

Dilettante. posted:

I would imagine a rebel looks quite similar to a Gaddafi die-hard to an Apache pilot, there must be a fair bit of friendly fire already without an Apache stumbling onto a scene and turning everyone into mincemeat.
Simple, inside the compound is a "free-fire" zone till the walls are breached. Outside is a no-fire zone.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Plus any deployment of attack helicopters comes complete with snake eating forward air controllers on the ground.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It shouldn't be forgotten there's NATO "advisers" on the frontlines with the rebels, and it's clear this sudden advance was closely co-ordinated with NATO. The AJE journalists in Zliten said he had learnt from the rebels that NATO had help land around 1000 troops from Misrata by sea in Tripoli, so this has been planned for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the real truth about what's happening in Tripoli
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IOj-MHE-v4

• Locked thread