Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

VikingSkull posted:

Plus any deployment of attack helicopters comes complete with snake eating forward air controllers on the ground.

Oh... you meant snake-eating. Dang. Wrong film.

:ughh: Sorry... I had to.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Brown Moses posted:

Here's the real truth about what's happening in Tripoli
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IOj-MHE-v4

I've decided that I'm going to tell RT I'm an independent journalist! After all, I took some journalism classes in high school, and I'm so independent that I'm not even in Libya! :v:

"Independent journalist: Qaddafi is currently working to deploy Voltron to push back the rebel rats"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cable Guy posted:

thats basically what they are, though

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
^^^^---- You don't gently caress with Ding Chavez OR John Clark ----^^^^

Brown Moses posted:

My god... It's like looking into shadow dimension where everything is opposite. Who is that crazy woman?

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 22, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Cable Guy posted:

My god... It's like looking into shadow dimension where everything is opposite. Who is that crazy woman?

Lizzie Phelan, the previously mentioned, high respected among nutters, blogger independent journalists. Alot of antiwar nutters love to post her articles as evidence, along with stuff by Franklin Lamb.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 22, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Haha, Lizzie is great. She's a lot more fun than that Iraqi information minister was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3LU3fR5PKk

That gunfire in the background? Oh that's spontaneous celebratory gunfire over how the rebels have been evicted from the city. :downs:

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 22, 2011

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Brown Moses posted:

Lizzie Phelan, the previously mentioned, high respected among nutters, blogger independent journalists. Alot of antiwar nutters love to post her articles as evidence, along with stuff by Franklin Lamb.

I got the impression form the view times I've watched RT that it was a far-liberal reflection of FoxNews and perhaps just as bad, but that video clip you share was truly eye-opening as to how much a propaganda outlet that station is. Astonishing for what passes as news and journalism today.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Where the hell is she reporting from?

Honestly, if that footage was live, I'd have love to see some rebel technicals whiz by there with them hooting and hollaring "Allahu Ackbar".

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
...Speaking of nutters,

So what's up with this whole "144 tons of LIB'YAN gold" that Alex Jones keeps spouting off about?

http://www.infowars.com/the-battle-for-libya-is-almost-over-as-is-the-battle-for-its-144-tons-of-gold/

:tinfoil:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Young Freud posted:

Where the hell is she reporting from?

Honestly, if that footage was live, I'd have love to see some rebel technicals whiz by there with them hooting and hollaring "Allahu Ackbar".

Oh those are holograms projected by NATO aircraft in their obvious ploy to panic the populace.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

fuckingtest posted:

...Speaking of nutters,

So what's up with this whole "144 tons of LIB'YAN gold" that Alex Jones keeps spouting off about?

http://www.infowars.com/the-battle-for-libya-is-almost-over-as-is-the-battle-for-its-144-tons-of-gold/

drat, I thought it was all about oil, when it was about gold all along!

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Nm

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 25, 2015

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Chuck Boone posted:

I didn't know RT was such a joke.

RT is an organ of Vladimir Putin's government. Putin, ever the cold warrior, hates NATO. Hence the enemy of NATO is a friend of Putin and therefore RT reports anything favorable towards it that it can even if it has to make it up. Putin truly lives like it's 1983 and he's the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.

Haha... NATO is dropping "sound bombs".

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Brown Moses posted:

Aaaaahhh... so that's the shill...

Fangz posted:

Haha, Lizzie is great. She's a lot more fun than that Iraqi information minister was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3LU3fR5PKk

That gunfire in the background? Oh that's spontaneous celebratory gunfire over how the rebels have been evicted from the city. :downs:
... sorry, I mean "independent journalist"

:shepicide:

Her parents must be so proud.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 22, 2011

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Besesoth posted:

I've decided that I'm going to tell RT I'm an independent journalist! After all, I took some journalism classes in high school, and I'm so independent that I'm not even in Libya! :v:

"Independent journalist: Qaddafi is currently working to deploy Voltron to push back the rebel rats"

Just do like the Daily Show did and have a bobble-head figure report from a cut out picture of Tripoli.

"Tom I am standing out here in Green Square and it's dead quite, as you can see cars are parked and people are just standing around. I talked to a shop owner and...... Oh my god Tom NATO aircraft are firing on us!"

*Bobble head doll is knocked down by a hand holding a Transformer toy.*

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuuEI9m1f60

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The scenes from Syria are depressing as gently caress, and some of them are gory beyond belief. The government troops are literally slaughtering unarmed protesters.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Mappo posted:

Just do like the Daily Show did and have a bobble-head figure report from a cut out picture of Tripoli...
Errrm... what day was that episode on, can you remember?

edit:

Arkane posted:

The scenes from Syria are depressing as gently caress, and some of them are gory beyond belief. The government troops are literally slaughtering unarmed protesters.
Oh gently caress... guess they thought we were distracted.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 22, 2011

natedogcool
Jan 3, 2008

Every time we look at the moon, we can know that Willzyx is up there dancing with the other zypods in his castle.
From Yahoo News front page today:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Arkane posted:

There's a bunch of videos on this Youtube channel.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From Oct 10

"Hey guys, this is great fun, can't wait to see you next year!"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brown Moses posted:

There's a bunch of videos on this Youtube channel.

Wow great to catch on this thread for the news on Libya. I've been offline for a day and 800 posts new. I watched news on my blackberry but nothing was even as close to complete coverage as this thread.

So with that Syria youtube channel: What can the government think that shooting snipers into people standing in a street will accomplish? They will all get scared and go home? I mean logic would only say it will piss people off much more. Also the amount of balls it takes to stand in the street when you know the government will randomly pick you off with a bullet to the head is just amazing. I would wish I could say I'd have that much courage.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's the same as it is everything, scare people into submission. Worked so well elsewhere in the Arab world, I'm sure if they stick with it everything will come up smelling of roses for Assad.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Brown Moses posted:

Lizzie Phelan and people like her... do they really believe their own bullshit, or are they towing a line for political gain?

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Cable Guy posted:

Errrm... what day was that episode on, can you remember?

I am on my phone so I can't link it. But it's Daily Show 2/2/2005.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

RT is an organ of Vladimir Putin's government. Putin, ever the cold warrior, hates NATO. Hence the enemy of NATO is a friend of Putin and therefore RT reports anything favorable towards it that it can even if it has to make it up. Putin truly lives like it's 1983 and he's the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.

Haha... NATO is dropping "sound bombs".

Well, Russia has other reasons to dislike NATO intervention in Libya as well:

quote:

Russian energy firms are likely to be barred from resuming work in Libya if NATO-backed rebels succeed in overthrowing Muammar Gaddafi, a Russia-Libya business group said on Monday.

"We have lost Libya completely," Aram Shegunts, director general of the Russia-Libya Business Council, told Reuters.

"Our companies won't be given the green light to work there. If anyone thinks otherwise they are wrong. Our companies will lose everything there because NATO will prevent them from doing their business in Libya."

Gazprom, Gazprom Neft and Tatneft have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in oil and gas exploration in Libya, but suspended operations after an uprising broke out earlier this year against Gaddafi's rule.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Golbez posted:

Lizzie Phelan and people like her... do they really believe their own bullshit, or are they towing a line for political gain?

There's a big audience for their bullshit, so it probably just reinforces their delusions. These are people who literally believe the rebels are just small groups of terrorists supported by Qatari heavy armour that's currently rolling through the streets of Libya murdering babies,and that's not exaggerating the poo poo they believe.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Golbez posted:

I think she's just a nut, of the "anything the West does is automatically wrong" variety (I think if NATO were supporting Gaddafi in this fight she'd be out there condemning NATO's support for a bloodthirsty dictator, etc., etc.). That doesn't mean that other groups won't use her nuttiness for their own political gain, though.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Brown Moses posted:

From Oct 10

"Hey guys, this is great fun, can't wait to see you next year!"
From Left to Right:

Zine El Abidine Ben Ali Soon-I'll-'ave-it-in-a-bin-ally
Ali Abdullah Saleh All-I-had's-down-the-cellar
Muammar Gaddafi No-more Get-off-eh?
Hosni Mubarak Has-been A-set-back

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 22, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Saadi Gaddafi has been captured, again, guess the earlier report was wrong. That's Saif, Saadi and Mohammad al Gaddafi.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

natedogcool posted:

From Yahoo News front page today:

My heroine for the day. I love this photo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cable Guy posted:

That's how snake-eating would look like:colbert:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Saadi Gaddafi has been captured, again, guess the earlier report was wrong. That's Saif, Saadi and Mohammad al Gaddafi.

For those who may be wondering (like I was) how many more Gaddafi children there are, the BBC has a useful family tree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12531442

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Claims now that Sirte is under seige, it's possible that rebels have been able to reach it from the west and east after the advances reported south of Misrata last week.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

fuckingtest posted:

...Speaking of nutters,

There's also the tinfoil belief that 9/11 was done because billion in gold was in the basement and this was the perfect excuse to declare it 'lost'.

Conspiracy nuts really, really love gold.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

For those who may be wondering (like I was) how many more Gaddafi children there are, the BBC has a useful family tree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12531442

One was killed? When did that happen? I thought all dead gaddafi babies were rumours.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 22, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

There's a big audience for their bullshit, so it probably just reinforces their delusions. These are people who literally believe the rebels are just small groups of terrorists supported by Qatari heavy armour that's currently rolling through the streets of Libya murdering babies,and that's not exaggerating the poo poo they believe.

Just like with a lot of rural Americans: if you have a strong enough bias, you can be led to believe in anything with just the right amount of 'evidence.' And there are some enterprising people out there that will always taken advantage of that.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Unverified reports that Lizzie Phelan was a prolific poster in LF. She was run out of there for being a moderate.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

There's also the tinfoil belief that 9/11 was done because billion in gold was in the basement and this was the perfect excuse to declare it 'lost'.

Conspiracy nuts really, really love gold.

One was killed? When did that happen? I thought all dead gaddafi babies were rumours.

That was back in May, when Gaddafi's compound was bombed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/01/libya-muammar-gaddafi-son-nato

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So WashingtonPost.com is reporting Libyan State TV is in rebels hands. No more airtime CQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Claims that Gaddafi was planning to bomb some Arab embassays:

quote:

Tunisia says uncovers Libya plot to bomb embassy
A Libyan soldier gave himself up to Tunisian authorities in Tunis, saying he had been sent by Muammar Gaddafi's army to bomb an Arab embassy in the capital, Tunisia's military said on Monday.

"The Libyan officer, Abd Erazzak Al-Rajhi, has revealed this to the Tunisian army," Mokhtar Nasr, a Tunisian military official, said at a press conference. He said the target had been the embassy of an Arab country, but he did not specify.

Libyan state television has routinely accused Arab states Qatar and the United Arab Emirates of being "traitors" for supporting a rebel offensive seeking to topple Gaddafi.

Tunisia, on Libya's western border, has drawn thousands of refugees fleeing fighting and its revolution in January was seen as inspiration for uprisings across the Arab world.

Tunisian Prime Minister Beji Caid Sebsi congratulated Libya's rebel leadership by telephone on Monday for what he said was a "vitory of the Libyan people."

• Locked thread