Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Is the steam store page, and the http://deusex.com/ screwed up for anyone else? When the timer ticked to zero (about half an hour ago) both broke.

edit: Steam store page works again.

There's still about 6 and a half hours on the timer though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, I'm all in on this game, but a friend of mine has some reservations because of Deus Ex 2. I brought up that the early reviews have been extremely positive, he says so were the DX2 reviews. I guess it's not a big deal, but is there anything else I can tell him to assure him this won't be DX2 all over again? Or are you guys dealing with similar fears?

Here's how I'm planning to deal with this: Play it as it releases in like three hours... then when someone asks I'm going to be all "Hey dude this isn't like Deus Ex 2"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, I'm all in on this game, but a friend of mine has some reservations because of Deus Ex 2. I brought up that the early reviews have been extremely positive, he says so were the DX2 reviews. I guess it's not a big deal, but is there anything else I can tell him to assure him this won't be DX2 all over again? Or are you guys dealing with similar fears?

Tell him fans have already played a big chunk of the game and love it, it's not just paid reviewers saying these things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fans were skeptical when DX:HR was first announced, and rightly so, but that skepticism is pretty much gone at this point, mostly thanks to the leak.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Deus Ex 3 teaser came, people screamed.
Things got announced, new info came about, people screamed more.
The first third of the game leaked. People did this: :aaaaa:

That's the entire story of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's negativity. It's definitely not Invisible War.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 23, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like I'm stuck waiting until at least Wednesday.

Stupid Gamestop/Canada.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Hmmm... :3:

Link to said post: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1654142&postcount=24

sqrrl101
Feb 16, 2011
Console commands? Please tell me that I can kill Barret by raining vases and cats on him!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm wondering what sort of customization options the dual monitor support has. Most of the time, games do it wrong if you only have two monitors, and put the screen right in the middle of the the two, making it unplayable. I'm hoping with Deus Ex, I can have my HUD on the left monitor, and the right monitor is just for seeing extra bits of the world around me.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

sqrrl101 posted:

Console commands? Please tell me that I can kill Barret by raining vases and cats on him!

"Commandline" likely refers to the Steam command line (read: launch options). Whether this means you can enable an in-game console needs to be seen.

e: That said, English is clearly not that guy's forte so I guess you could interpret his statement in a different way.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 23, 2011

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I'm wondering what sort of customization options the dual monitor support has. Most of the time, games do it wrong if you only have two monitors, and put the screen right in the middle of the the two, making it unplayable. I'm hoping with Deus Ex, I can have my HUD on the left monitor, and the right monitor is just for seeing extra bits of the world around me.

The game supports up to 5 monitors so I think they probably accounted for that.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

I said come in! posted:

I read an online article somewhere that said it does exactly that; most UI + crosshairs on one monitor, peripheral vision on the other.

Saucepan Man
Jul 15, 2010

So I played the HR preview build when it leaked out, and I was flat-out amazed and instantly preordered and bought the previous games having never played them. While the gameplay of the older games haven't aged very well, I really enjoyed the stories and their tie-ins with philosophy and not just giving you the regular 'black and white' or good and evil moral choices.

I was super geeked out at just how much the developers put so much effort into creating an experience that made you think, rather than say, "I'll just do the good things because I want too, then when I play through it a second time I'll kill everyone because I want to be a jerk in a computer game".

I really have no idea because I'm trying to stay away from any spoilers, but does anyone has a clue if the game sticks with this kind of philosophical story direction?

Saucepan Man fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 23, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bartkusa posted:

I read an online article somewhere that said it does exactly that; most UI + crosshairs on one monitor, peripheral vision on the other.

Finally. :hellyeah: Thank you for the info.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Saucepan Man posted:

While the gameplay was a bit stale

I in no way mean to start an argument but is this on Deus Ex difficulty?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Efexeye posted:

He's talking about the originals.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Pretentious Turtle posted:

He's talking about the originals.

:doh: As a side note...play the game on the hardest difficulty every time, am I right?

vvv Sorry, misread yer post vvv

Saucepan Man
Jul 15, 2010

Efexeye posted:

Nah, more just the clunky movement, shooting, stealth and enemy AI. I thought the RPG mechanics were great, but that kind of stuff just comes with a 11 year old game. I also should note I never played it in the past, so I have absolutely no nostalgia for the game either, making it a little hard to get into in the first place.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Tecman posted:

Hmmm... :3:

Link to said post: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1654142&postcount=24

Does...does this mean we'll have Adam Tentson?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Efexeye posted:

:doh: As a side note...play the game on the hardest difficulty every time, am I right?

it depends, with modern games, you have the danger of the difficulties being nothing but changes to enemy and player health, which is the easiest, and worst way to make games more or less difficult

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Saucepan Man posted:

I really have no idea because I'm trying to stay away from any spoilers, but does anyone has a clue if the game sticks with this kind of philosophical story direction?
Definitely, dude. Not sure exactly what was shown in the preview build, but one of the primary themes of this game is the ethical issue of human augmentation. The idea is that many members of society see augmentation as sort of an unnatural, artificial way of "playing God" and loving with the purity of the human body. Those people see the augmentation concept as a plaything for the rich. If a guy can afford to augment his arm, for example, why would a company hire a normal person over him?

I haven't even played the preview build, so I don't know what you'll have seen, but this is really supposed to really be one of the deeper ideas in the game. I'd imagine it'll really go places.

Plus all the crazy conspiracies of course. It is a Deus Ex game, after all. :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm really really glad this is going places with a brand new dev team, it just shows that Deus Ex wasn't a product of some brilliant minds making a masterpiece that can never ever be equaled, it was a perfectly good formula for Good Games that people have ignored up until now for some reason

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Y2JMatrix94 posted:

I pre-ordered the STEAM Augmented version, where do I find the soundtrack? Do I need to wait until the game releases?

I couldn't find it in the game's directory, so I guess it comes out tomorrow.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Rhymenoserous posted:

Here's how I'm planning to deal with this: Play it as it releases in like three hours... then when someone asks I'm going to be all "Hey dude this isn't like Deus Ex 2"

I'm going to add a 2nd shortcut as a non-steam game and rename it Deus Ex: Invisible War and play it all day on tuesday for all my steam friends to see.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it depends, with modern games, you have the danger of the difficulties being nothing but changes to enemy and player health, which is the easiest, and worst way to make games more or less difficult

Or you have games that improve the AI or increase the number of enemies on higher difficulties making the hardest the one true way of playing them.

That is not the case for Deus Ex: HR. I don't know about health/damage, but as far as I could tell, enemy accuracy, stealth detection, hacking difficulty and possibility availability of supplies were all altered by the difficulty settings. Or maybe it was just perception, as I can't stand not playing any game that isn't intended to be challenging (shmups) from the get-go on anything but the highest difficulty, regardless of how it is handled.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Stump Truck posted:

I'm going to add a 2nd shortcut as a non-steam game and rename it Deus Ex: Invisible War and play it all day on tuesday for all my steam friends to see.
I wonder if that would even work since it's a Steamworks game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm really really glad this is going places with a brand new dev team, it just shows that Deus Ex wasn't a product of some brilliant minds making a masterpiece that can never ever be equaled, it was a perfectly good formula for Good Games that people have ignored up until now for some reason

Maybe we'll get lucky and Human Revolution will do well enough to get more Immersive Sims made.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and Human Revolution will do well enough to get more Immersive Sims made.

While that would be great, I'd settle for more AAA games that dare to not treat you like an idiot baby from start to finish. That was pretty much the most refreshing thing about HR for me.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is literally how DX1 handled it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
The soundtrack is amazing. :love:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does anyone have any info about Gamestop doing midnight releases?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I would love it if they re-imagined Deus Ex itself. And completely re-wrote and re-made Invisible War.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone have any info about Gamestop doing midnight releases?

Depends on the store. Mine's doing one even though the only people interested are the employees and me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Woozy posted:

This is literally how DX1 handled it.

Yeah, and DX1 wasn't perfect.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

keyframe posted:

The soundtrack is amazing. :love:

Yeah, between the HR soundtrack and the Bastion soundtrack I've pretty much been in hog heaven today. Soundtrack renaissance itt.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah, and DX1 wasn't perfect.

It's also not "modern", which is why what you said is kind of an odd thing to say.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Here's another nice (though pretty critical) review from BitTech, who I've always liked.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/08/22/deus-ex-human-revolution-review/1

Wow, that is a little hardcore.

I wonder, is the plot not thicker than the Witcher or bloodlines? If so, what the hell happened their Eidos?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

arioch posted:

I would love it if they re-imagined Deus Ex itself. And completely re-wrote and re-made Invisible War.
Considering how popular the original Deus Ex still is among gamers, it's suprising they haven't remade it already. I mean they could literally do the same game with a different engine and graphics and people would shell out tons of money for it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Just watched the launch trailer- wow I'd really like to get a copy of the music at the end of it. The remixed theme of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

l33t b4c0n posted:

Considering how popular the original Deus Ex still is among gamers, it's suprising they haven't remade it already. I mean they could literally do the same game with a different engine and graphics and people would shell out tons of money for it.

I would pay full retail price for a graphically updated version of Deus Ex.

I am not alone.

• Locked thread