Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone have any info about Gamestop doing midnight releases?
Negative, they only get so many midnight release dates (budget...they are saving up for Madden)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Got my game all preloaded - safe to say this will unlock at 12 EST?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Got my game all preloaded - safe to say this will unlock at 12 EST?

3 A.M. EST.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Beat Chantelise like I wanted to before this came out. Now I just gotta suffer the horrible wait until I'm done work tomorrow to actually play it now. drat you to hell hype! :arghfist::(

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Nelson Mandingo posted:

3 A.M. EST.

I'm thinking about taking a power nap so when I wake up I can play this game until tomorrow night. Thankfully, I don't have work for the next few days so this is a Godsend for me.

I'm about 66% done with the preload myself. Can't wait.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I would unquestionably pay full retail for a Half-Life: Source style re-release of Deus Ex, but I would pay Skyrim Collector's Edition pricing for a properly updated re-make of Deus Ex.

Saucepan Man
Jul 15, 2010

I'm tempted to go to sleep now, wake up at 2:30, pour myself a pot of coffee and turn off every device and application I have that can contact the outside world and just play the hell out of this game. I can't remember being this excited about a video game since I was young.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Murder McMurderson posted:

So, does Adam ever say "I never asked for this" in the game itself? This is important.

It would be strange to get a catchphrase from a game that was never in the game.

This is from a few pages back, but I don't think it's been answered.

The answer is yes, but it's like the "fight for the lost" ME2 thing. It's a single dialogue choice out of 3 or 4 and it's not nearly as dramatic as the trailer makes it out to be.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think after this, their ambition needs to go further. If they make a solid sequel to Human Revolution, they'll have earned the right and need to go for the gold medal and remake Deus Ex 1. Reimagine it even. Updated story, but bringing back the old characters we know and love, while adding new ones.

I absolutely admit I just want to see J.C. Denton nano-punch the everliving poo poo outta a guy.

"My pimp hand is..augmented."

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 23, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think after this, their ambition needs to go further. If they make a solid sequel to Human Revolution, they'll have earned the right and need to go for the gold medal and remake Deus Ex 1.

Reimagine it even. Updated story, but bringing back the old characters we know and love, while adding new ones.

I absolutely admit I just want to see J.C. Denton nano-punch the everliving poo poo outta a guy.

While I'm sure they'd make a very fine game, I think I'd rather see Eidos Montreal do something where they have some more freedom.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pretentious Turtle posted:

While I'm sure they'd make a very fine game, I think I'd rather see Eidos Montreal do something where they have some more freedom.

My fear, personally, is that they're going to pull a Bioshock/Bioshock 2 and move Montreal onto some other project while handing the next Deus Ex game to some other Square-Enix studio for a quick turnaround cash-in.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think after this, their ambition needs to go further. If they make a solid sequel to Human Revolution, they'll have earned the right and need to go for the gold medal and remake Deus Ex 1. Reimagine it even. Updated story, but bringing back the old characters we know and love, while adding new ones.

"My pimp hand is..augmented."

It would be nice to see the streets of new york with lanes wider than half a car, and bars that don't have half a mile of corridors in their entrance.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I thought about that as I was typing it. It's true they would be more intellectually, and narratively constrained- but I think if they said "To hell with this" and changed everything about the story from the bottom up, a completely new experience in itself they could really pull it off. Look at Game of Thrones the show. It follows the book almost tit for tat, but it's made some choices of it's own that really stand out. In the show, Drogo kills a guy who insults him and his wife by tearing his tongue out of his throat. In the book, that guy is still alive. It was a great scene that showed the viewer Drogo's violence and barbarity, and how his hubris and his wife's trust ended up working against them.

For real though I just want an updated Deus Ex to see J.C. do some spectacular takedowns.

quote:

My fear, personally, is that they're going to pull a Bioshock/Bioshock 2 and move Montreal onto some other project while handing the next Deus Ex game to some other Square-Enix studio for a quick turnaround cash-in.

That's probably what's going to happen. At least everyone will hate it and force them to stop making it.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
Ohboyohboyohboy.

I played Deus Ex when I was a kid (maybe like 12 or so?) and I've replayed it every year since, along with Grim Fandango, System Shock 2, and Half Life 1 and 2. I've been a Bad Goon and haven't really taken part in the thread, but I'm so damned excited about the unlock.

I've heard good things about it on the review sites. Maybe it's just a marketing push, but I'm desperately hoping. Unfortunately, I thought Fable III would drag on a bit more so I could unlock and play DE:HR a bit. Maybe I'll take a power nap.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

For you folks that played the beta and have played the final build on the PC, did they get rid of the weird floaty controls? I fired up the beta yesterday and it just felt... loose. Not enough to be unbearable but enough to be noticeable and weird.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
Not that this would fit in DX:HR, but in-product advertising can be good if either done tastefully OR blatantly. Anyone see the old 30 Rock episodes where they'd do a completely shameless plug for something and then literally face the camera and ask for their money?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

No Mods No Masters posted:

SE has gotten burned from phoning in a couple final fantasy games, and they've turned around and made a deliberate effort to not run their franchises into the ground. Or, at least, that's what they say they're doing.

It makes sense to me at least. You make more money on a sequel every 2 years than a reboot every ten.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I will only accept a Deus Ex 1 remake if they get the original voices for J.C., Bob Page, Maggie, Tong and Simons back. I don't care if they're still terrible.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

Not that this would fit in DX:HR, but in-product advertising can be good if either done tastefully OR blatantly.

Why would you want to be actively advertised to? :psyduck:

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

For you folks that played the beta and have played the final build on the PC, did they get rid of the weird floaty controls? I fired up the beta yesterday and it just felt... loose. Not enough to be unbearable but enough to be noticeable and weird.

I don't think anyone but game reviewers have played the PC version yet, but if it help put your mind at ease, none of them seem to have complained about the control scheme - in fact, every review I've read praises it.

That said, I'm pretty sure the "floatiness" in the leak had to do with Vsync or mouse smoothing. Turning those off fixed it for me.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Minarchist posted:

In battlefield 2142 there were billboards that has live ads. They were unobtrusive and worked seemlessly in the enviornment. It was fine in my opinion they make ad revenue, and it doesn't in any way affect my gameplay.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Nombres posted:

Unfortunately, I thought Fable III would drag on a bit more so I could unlock and play DE:HR a bit. Maybe I'll take a power nap.

I was hoping for New Vegas's Lonesome Road DLC to have dropped before now, which would have been perfect timing.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Minarchist posted:

I wouldn't, it's just not the end of the world like some people make it out to be.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

arioch posted:

I was hoping for New Vegas's Lonesome Road DLC to have dropped before now, which would have been perfect timing.

I juuuust got done playing through New Vegas last night with exactly this in mind. Zero downtime in :pcgaming:.

:goonsay:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Svaha posted:

I don't think anyone but game reviewers have played the PC version yet, but if it help put your mind at ease, none of them seem to have complained about the control scheme - in fact, every review I've read praises it.

That said, I'm pretty sure the "floatiness" in the leak had to do with Vsync or mouse smoothing. Turning those off fixed it for me.

I think the problem was to do with head bob. People were talking about it earlier. Instead of having the camera stay focused on a single point while moving around, it simply sways up and down, which can give you trouble if you're susceptible to motion sickness. And even if you're not, it can make the game feel "off".

It's not something that's big, and you probably wouldn't put it in a review.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Pharmaskittle posted:

I juuuust got done playing through New Vegas last night with exactly this in mind. Zero downtime in :pcgaming:.

:goonsay:

I would have, had Lonesome Road actually made its original release date. Now I'm not even sure I'll get back to it, now that DXHR is almost out, Skyrim, Rage and Diablo 3 are around the corner, etc. As it is, I played through Old World Blues in a hardcore playthrough to the end of the game and uninstalled.

Arcarsenal
Jun 15, 2003

For those of us who ordered a physical copy from Amazon, have you seen a shipping confirmation yet? I got the Augmented edition for PC preordered since January and even though I've got release date shipping it hasn't left yet :(

I know it's probably fine but I just need to be placated a bit since you Steam guys at least have a timer to stare at!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Well, SE hasn't done it with any of their other western studios. Then again, Doesn't EM have two other projects in the pipe? I remember reading that there's something after Thief 4 that they aren't ready to announce yet.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Vanderdeath posted:

I will only accept a Deus Ex 1 remake if they get the original voices for J.C., Bob Page, Maggie, Tong and Simons back. I don't care if they're still terrible.

Gunther's voice actor (Jeff Groteboer) died a few years ago. :smith:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm considering buying this, but some of the reviews seem to make it sound a lot like Metal Gear Solid. I don't like stealth at all. I can deal with some elements being that way, but does the game revolve around this more than anything? I'm not expecting a Halo fest. I'd just like a fresh cyberpunkish story with some cool action thrown around. I haven't played any of the previous games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy posted:

I'm considering buying this, but some of the reviews seem to make it sound a lot like Metal Gear Solid. I don't like stealth at all. I can deal with some elements being that way, but does the game revolve around this more than anything? I'm not expecting a Halo fest. I'd just like a fresh cyberpunkish story with some cool action thrown around. I haven't played any of the previous games.
As far as I know you can definitely play the game as an armored killing machine if you want. People just talk about the stealth method because stealth is cool.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Philthy posted:

Don't be a filthy hooker. Buy the game. You don't have to stealth at all. Not at all!

4 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Philthy posted:

You're suppose to be able to play however you want in this. You don't have to go the stealth route at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Philthy posted:

How do you feel about covershooters? You can't go Doom-style run and gun, but you can definitely play it more aggressively.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Philthy posted:

Like others mentioned, you can use stealth if you want.

Or, you can be a fridge-wielding armored lunatic who can also poo poo out explosive balls at a moment's notice.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Philthy posted:

I played the leak and will play my entire first run as the loving Terminator and it worked fine, people just like stealth because the stealth gameplay is pretty good.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

My first play through will be an effeminate super geisha. Overpowering enemies with sexy curves, and sultry voice acting. Will I have a footrub option in the dialogue battles?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kazvall posted:

My first play through will be an effeminate super geisha. Overpowering enemies with sexy curves, and sultry voice acting. Will I have a footrub option in the dialogue battles?
Cyber-geishas, the weapon of the future.

edit: I'm actually at least half-serious.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 23, 2011

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Ceyton posted:

Gunther's voice actor (Jeff Groteboer) died a few years ago. :smith:
Here lies Jeff Groteboer.
You'll finally get that skul-gun.

Alternatively,
"Finally getting that orange soda."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Two review-like updates!

Jeff Gerstmann (Giant Bomb) just tweeted that tomorrow, they'll be putting up the review, Quick Look, and a podcast with "lots of Deus Ex talk."

Ben Kuchera (Ars Technica), probably one of the biggest champions of the game that I've seen, tweeted that he wrote a rebuttal to RPS' dislike of the boss battles, and we can also expect that to be up tomorrow.

I'm more interested in the latter because I'm always interested to hear what Kuchera has to say, even if I don't always agree with him. I think Giant Bomb's Quick Look should be entertaining as always, but I fear the only people who will watch it in this thread are the folks who can't play until Friday. :(

But goddamn it makes me happy to see all the publicity and press this game is getting.

• Locked thread