Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Chris Stephen in Misrata reports Libyan rebel units from the city racing by land and sea to the aid of opposition forces in Tripoli.

quote:

Last night boats landed 500 rebel fighters and 40 vehicles loaded with ammunition for opposition forces who are struggling to contain pro-Gaddafi units in the Libyan capital.

Meanwhile a convoy of rebel jeeps and artillery is driving up the coastal highway from Misrata to Tripoli. Rebels say the road is clear but under shell fire from government forces south of the road, and a separate operation is underway by opposition forces to push the frontline south.

South east of Misrata meanwhile rebels are braced for an attack by government troops from bases along more than 200 miles of coastline stretching to the oil town of Brega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wiz posted:

Clearly this means that the rebels are coming to liberate Lebanon and Syria and CNN is the first to report this story.

I take it all back, it's all part of their master plan to report the news that no one saw coming.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Wiz posted:

Clearly this means that the rebels are coming to liberate Lebanon and Syria and CNN is the first to report this story.

Lizzie Phelan will be using this as evidence of a huge plot in her next report to Russia Today.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brown Moses posted:

Lizzie Phelan will be using this as evidence of a huge plot in her next report to Russia Today.

Somehow that makes this a lot less funny. Doesn't matter though, propagandists always find something to focus on.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Jonny Hallam

quote:

Just spoke to a man from #Brega who claims he was paid in Amphetamine tablets to go to Pro-Gad Demos

I wonder if he put them in his Nescafe?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here is the "Russian official" who claims to have spoken with Gaddafi by phone today:

He is a bit of a nutcase himself, so he could very well be making the whole thing up:

quote:

But on Sunday evening, as NATO air strikes continued on the Libyan capital, the besieged Colonel took the time to entertain a Russian politician named Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, best known for his claims that extraterrestrials took him on a mystical tour of the galaxy in their spaceship in 1997. Far from convincing Gaddafi to step down, the visit seemed geared toward giving him a confidence boost — and an unlikely lesson in the game of kings.

The two men then played a rather awkward game of chess. Allowed the first move, Gaddafi made a clumsy opening, nervously moving his pawn from F3 to F4, and Ilyumzhinov took the piece and moved it back for him. The game ended in a draw and a handshake for the cameras...

...Ilyumzhinov served as the head of the Russian republic of Kalmykia between 1993 and 2010. Four years into his tenure, which was stained by frequent allegations of corruption and mismanagement, he began to claim that he had been kidnapped by aliens who taught him how to save mankind from certain destruction. The planet Earth, he told TIME in October, was set to collide with the planet Nebiru, killing everyone on the planet, unless people cleansed their "aura" by playing more chess. The game would also allow humans to regain the powers of teleportation and telekinesis, which ancient civilizations possessed, Ilyumzhinov says.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is it even possible for Russians to play more chess than they do already?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Arkane posted:

AJE just had stunning live images from their embed, who said she is with hundreds and perhaps thousands of rebels who are 300 meters from the entrance to the Gaddafi compound and are preparing to advance.

She also said that other rebels are preparing to enter the compound from different sides.

It's sad that they're still basically in plain clothes and are just going to have to mob any remaining forces, surely losing lives for the rebels. But Gaddafi's power looks pretty disenfranchised so he could well be a sitting duck soon.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Arkane posted:

CNN isn't even trying anymore

Hah! That's like if presidents Obama and Medvedev met in St. Petersburg, and the map shows St. Petersburg, Florida.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Is Lizzie Phelan a Trot? Only Trot cultists seem to be so passionately reality distortingly pro-Gaddafi, most of the hard anti-cap left seem to at least be able to tut tut Gaddafi before blasting Nato.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Brown Moses posted:

Speaking of

http://libya360.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/lizzie-phelan-report-from-tripoli-august-22-2011/

Lizzie Phelan posted:

I have now from RELIABLE sources that the Libyan army is still in control of Tripoli. Al J footage of Green Sq was FAKE. Gaddafi went to Green Sq with one of his sons. Things much calmer now. More info soon. – L.P.

She's still on the "this was all a planned trap to bring those RATS into the city for their final annihilation!" trip.

Hehe... in the comments

Danijela Dorado posted:

I hope it’s not a lie…

I wouldn't bet money on that, Danijela Dorado.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nenonen posted:

Hah! That's like if presidents Obama and Medvedev met in St. Petersburg, and the map shows St. Petersburg, Florida.

On the other hand if the rebels were actually in the other Tripoli it would explain why they haven't caught Qaddafi yet.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
CNN has a long and storied history of loving up maps:
http://sheikyermami.com/wp-content/uploads/qtas.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2JhGoX_i6Qo/Rn4BUeSKPrI/AAAAAAAAAV4/e39i9uylrAE/s320/syriaasafghanistan.jpg
http://www.whytraveltofrance.com/images/stories/pictures/cnnsfrance.jpg
http://maptd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/CNN-map-fail-1024x575.jpg

Then again, it's not just CNN.
http://img3.ranker.com/user_node_img/5908/1000102779/full/fox-news-needs-a-lesson-in-geography-photo-u1.jpg

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Speaking of

http://libya360.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/lizzie-phelan-report-from-tripoli-august-22-2011/

She's still on the "this was all a planned trap to bring those RATS into the city for their final annihilation!" trip.

Hehe... in the comments

I wouldn't bet money on that, Danijela Dorado.

Wow. I've never seen someone so full of bullshit like that since the Iraqi Information Minister. The rebels rolling into Tripoli by sea and land was all a ruse set up by the regime just to get their names and faces? Seems like someone didn't think their cunning plan all the way through.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Furious Mittens posted:

Wow. I've never seen someone so full of bullshit like that since the Iraqi Information Minister. The rebels rolling into Tripoli by sea and land was all a ruse set up by the regime just to get their names and faces? Seems like someone didn't think their cunning plan all the way through.

Many Bothans died to get the rebels into Tripoli at the right time.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Holy poo poo, could hear the bullets whiz right past the live Al Jazeera reporter!

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

Rip Testes posted:

Holy poo poo, could hear the bullets whiz right past the live Al Jazeera reporter!

"And that's why we just ducked down."

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

NOBEARD posted:

"And that's why we just ducked down."

He was quite calm about continuing his reporting. I would have at least let out an expletive or two. Kudos to him.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
:siren:

quote:

Libyan rebels seen firing into air inside Gadhafi compound in celebration -Reuters reporters

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Reuters is tweeting in caps again!

quote:

LIBYAN REBELS ENTER MUAMMAR GADDAFI BAB AL-AZIZIYA COMPOUND - REUTERS REPORTERS AT COMPOUND
GADDAFI FORCES DEFENDED COMPOUND BUT RESISTANCE NOW STOPPED - REUTERS REPORTERS
Libyan rebels seen firing into air inside Gadhafi compound in celebration -Reuters reporters

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
I am F5ing the entire internet right now.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I am F5ing the entire internet right now.

:f5h::holy:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

To recap, Libyan rebels have stormed into Muammar Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli and have been seen firing in the air in celebration, Reuters reporters on the scene said. Pro-Gaddafi forces initially tried to defend the compound but their resistance later ended, the reporters said.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
"Blake Hounshell, managing editor of Foreign Policy tweets: Former high-ranking Libyan official claimed earlier that the tunnels beneath Bab al-Aziziya are booby-trapped."

:ohdear:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
more drudge sirens :siren:

quote:

AJA Breaking: Opposition fighteres enter #Gaddafi's house within Bab Alazizia #Tripoli #Libya

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

"Blake Hounshell, managing editor of Foreign Policy tweets: Former high-ranking Libyan official claimed earlier that the tunnels beneath Bab al-Aziziya are booby-trapped."

:ohdear:

Which will hopefully lead to video of a dead CQ snapped by one of his own diabolically huge mousetraps.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
well, clearly they abandoned the defenses to lure the rebels into gadaffis malevolent murder maze , where they will have to contend with his magic djinn army. It's all going according to plan.

For real though, I would give anything to be a fly on gadaffis wall right now, im imagining saif just shuffling around while playing dust in the wind.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 23, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm guessing the lack of live coverage at the moment is because all the journalists are rushing into the compound to prepare for any images of Gaddafi emerging from his hole. And a lynching.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Ggabo, Ben Ali, Mubarak and Ghaddafi gone and Saleh & Assad facing strong resistance. What a good year.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Lizzie Phelan, unable to cope with the imminent downfall of the Gaddafi regime, has fled in a time machine back to 1950s Russia.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Oh hey I didn't know Reuters had a live blog

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Tripoli_Besieged

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I remember fondly one of my social studies textbooks in junior high that stated that Mussolini resigned from his post.

This is _technically true_.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I hope this doesn't all go "the princess is in another castle" on us.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
I can't get over that Google Battle of Tripoli map. It'd be totally unfathomable 30 years ago. The magic of the Internet.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
CNN just reported that reporters are being "held hostage" at the Rixos and strong explosions from that area.

Not sure if they are just conjecturing/sensationalizing or have some new information to report. As usual, they just mention it and move on without following up. Keeping an eye on this.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Why does this poo poo always have to happen when I'm about to get the bus home.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Alarabya Breaking: sources say independence flag has been raised on Gaddfi's house #Tripoli #Libya

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Alarabya Breaking: sources say independence flag has been raised on Gaddfi's house #Tripoli #Libya

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Seems slightly irrelevant now, but here's Zeina Khodr's reporting from just outside earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJp1syzmvMY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

CNN Breaking News posted:

Rebels say they have taken Gadhafi compound, Sara Sidner reports

quote:

Alarabya: live picture showing opposition vehicles streaming into #Gaddafi's Bab Alzizia compound in #Tripoli

• Locked thread