Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Basically:
Are you doing damage through impact and crushing? Go for the heavy stuff.
Are you doing damage through piercing and cutting? Go with hard materials.

I suspect this information fucks me thoroughly. Whelp, find out soon enough! V:v:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Viva El Luchabold

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, it used to be a silver bow and arrow were at least comparable to steel or iron. Had a lot of punch for you dwarfbuck and it looked flashy. Win-win.

Edit: In my testing during the team tournaments, I found slade and platinum arrows too heavy. They actually seemed to lose airspeed and either fall short or not penetrate.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Silverminnow posted:

Fairly sure I read close to the end of the last thread that heavy bolts/arrows were better than hard materials. But I guess that's not true anymore? When did that get fixed? Well I suppose if I make it through the first round I will have to make some changes.

The better "edged" materials are superior for bolts/arrows. It used to be that pretty much any material would cut through armor like butter, but arrows and bolts were nerfed somewhat in the most recent arena build.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Discovered after the choices were locked in, I think Smatru's downfall was going Grandmaster Archer... but entirely neglecting Bowman. In all honesty, I didn't even see that it was an option.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

Vox Nihili posted:

The better "edged" materials are superior for bolts/arrows. It used to be that pretty much any material would cut through armor like butter, but arrows and bolts were nerfed somewhat in the most recent arena build.

Ah, that makes sense. I must have missed the changes while I was switching builds around like a madman. Oh well, like I said if I somehow survive this round I can fix things easily enough.

Also yeah it took me a moment to realize "archer" was basically the "fighting" of the ranged weapons and was wondering how I was able to get Grandmaster for so cheap. But I (somewhat) fixed it before the tournament went live.

It is interesting seeing all of the mistakes I have made already before my fight even happens.

edit: Good god there are still 30 whole fights before mine. I wonder if I'll get to see it before winter break? :shobon:

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 23, 2011

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Fights have been coming slow lately, Vox, any chance you'll be free soon to run a bunch in a row?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VladTheEater posted:

Fights have been coming slow lately, Vox, any chance you'll be free soon to run a bunch in a row?

Yeah, I should be able to do 2 today and 2-4 tomorrow, then generally 2 a day on most days after that. Less so on weekends, because those are the only days I really get to see my girlfriend on now and I'm not so willing to give them up. Overall we should see a lot more fights happening.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round One, Matches Twenty-Three and Twenty-Four:siren:

Match Twenty-Three, Eater of Skiers (Applebee123) vs. Robo-Prancer MK.II (astus)

Eater of Skiers, admitted yeti, is clad in a layer of thick iron armor. The beast does not carry a weapon, choosing instead to rely on its massive fists. Robo-Prancer MK.II, minotaur, is armored with a silvesr mail shirt. His weapon choice is especially bizarre: Though he has an iron crossbow, he chooses to bring only the bolts, hoping to use them as an impromptu melee weapon! Let's see how that works out for him.

The match begins, and the behemoth gladiators lumber forward! Robo-Prancer, though smaller, is quicker. He opens up the match- by lunging forward and biting Eater on the abdomen! The minotaurs huge teeth gain purchase upon the yeti's chain mail, but do not cause any real damage. In response, Eater delivers a solid punch to Robo-Prancer's chest, then frees himself from the minotaur's teeth with a display of overwhelming strength. A second punch hits Robo-Prancer in the hand, though it leaves only a moderate bruise.

Suddenly, Robo-Prancer jabs Eater with his handful of iron bolts! The tiny weapons do not puncture Eater's mail, but they do deliver a sharp force directly to the yeti's spine cord, essentially severing it just above the waist! Eater goes down in a heap, but immediately takes a swing at the minotaur, missing as Robo-Prancer prances away.

Robo-Prancer moves decisively, jabbing his iron bolts into Eater's head, penetrating the iron helm and killing the yeti instantly! It seems that Robo-Prancer's bizarre strategy has earned him a victory!

Combat Log

Match Twenty-Four, Gitch (ghosts on the moon) vs. Cickirian (jimmy4400nav)

Gitch the gremlin has a pair of bronze daggers, a copper mail shirt, copper helm, and leather gloves. Cickirian the soldier ant woman has an eclectic mix of gear- iron crossbow and bolts, copper spear, oak buckler, and copper mail and helm. It looks like this gremlin has a good chance here- but will he be stopped cold with a bolt before he can even engage?

The battle starts, and Cickirian fires! Her bolt flies just wide of Gitch, who begins the long spring across the arena.

As Gitch closes in, Cickirian rearms and fires again. This time, her aim is true, and the bolt strikes Gitch in the lower body. But it is not a solid hit, and Gitch's copper mail prevents anything more than a shallow gash.

Now, Gitch is in control! The gremlin gets in close and starts slashing away at Cickirian. His first strikes are parried or deflect off of the ant woman's copper mail, but eventually he gets a quick stab through, gouging the ant woman's arm and forcing her to drop her buckler. A second stab through the upper leg draws additional ichor. At this point, Cickirian redoubles her defensive efforts, parrying strikes with her copper spear and attempting counters, none of which strike the nimble gremlin. Finally, Cickirian manages to reload, and immediately fires!

Gitch leaps back to avoid the bolt- but its trajectory carries it forward, and it strikes the gremlin regardless!! Fortunately for Gitch, the wound is only a minor graze. He immediately rushes back into battle and smashes Cickirian's foot with the pommel of his dagger, causing her to fall to the ground. Gitch, scenting blood, begins a relentless, frenzied assault, slashing, scratching, and biting like a rabid wolverine! Cickirian, slowed by her wounds, is unable to put up much of a defense. She is torn to pieces in short time, loses hold of her crossbow, and is finally dispatched with a stab to the head. Gitch advances to round 2!

Combat Log

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 29, 2011

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Iron bolts and nothing else? IRON BOLTS AND NOTHING ELSE? Damnit, Eater of Skiers, how could you lose to that, that's half my life savings gone! :(

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Man, seems like gremlins are really bringing the pain this time around.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
drat, I didn't expect Robo-Prancer to win at all, much less so cleanly.

...I think it actually might be doing x40 damage. :staredog:

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Guess thats what I get for taking the resident gladiators advice to "Skip that CQC with ammunition training, it never comes up".

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

drat, I didn't expect Robo-Prancer to win at all, much less so cleanly.

...I think it actually might be doing x40 damage. :staredog:

Testing seems to indicate that 1 iron bolt is approximately the same as 40 when used in melee. Robo-Prancer really lucked out with that spine-breaking hit that didn't even penetrate armor.

quote:

Guess thats what I get for taking the resident gladiators advice to "Skip that CQC with ammunition training, it never comes up".

You got pretty unlucky in the draw. An unarmed, armored yeti has a good chance to steamroll almost anything in the first round, with the exception of an armed troll or minotaur, or another yeti. Your build was solid.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Reminds me...how do we request to start with less than the standard amount of ammo?

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Good job Robo-Prancer, we're all very proud of you. If I hadn't bet all my money on myself, I totally would have bet some on you. Really!

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Well, drat. I mean, I actually tested Robo-Prancer Mk. II's build before, and it basically murdered everything I set against him, but that was before Vox fixed the Minotaurs.

Also, I just got a lot of money, because I made up ~95% of the bet on Robo-Prancer. Woo-Hoo! Take that, common sense!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
drat, I lost, I thought for sure my mix would work. Aw well, congratulations Glitch, good luck in the future rounds.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Krysmphoenix posted:

Reminds me...how do we request to start with less than the standard amount of ammo?

Send an e-mail to Vox Nihili before the fight and inform him of the special request.

If you don't already have his e-mail address, I've included it in the first post of the Private Game Servers thread, to prevent spambots or unregistered forums users from seeing it.

edit: Poor SynthOrange just can't catch a break in the first round betting, falling to 0-8. I'm sure he never expected for Eater of Skiers to have his spine broken from being stabbed by a crossbow bolt, but there you have it. :(

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 26, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nooooooooo, my dwarfbucks! :qq:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Feeling pretty sorry for Eater, wtf bolts? Happy about the little guy win though.

Only three fights to go now :ohdear:

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009

Iunnrais posted:

Discovered after the choices were locked in, I think Smatru's downfall was going Grandmaster Archer... but entirely neglecting Bowman. In all honesty, I didn't even see that it was an option.

After reading this I suddenly feel very lucky that a crippling shot didn't hit my minotaur before he got to skewer the poor kobold. Then again, I'm not exactly sure how much grandmaster archery helps anyway,

In my small amount of testing I immediately noticed that gremlins are actually relatively decent. I tested a relatively standard steel dagger build against most unarmoured opponents and it won with ~50% win rate. The only thing that would have stopped that thing would probably have been a minotaur/troll/yeti with bronze mail, but that should usually be relatively uncommon, due to the small amount of points large creatures usually get.

It also seems that my betting strategy of generally betting on the gladiators who would give me the highest payout doesn't seem to work - usually because they lose.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jazz, is there anyone doing worse than I am in the bets? There has to be. :smith:

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I support odd builds, so Bolt Minotaur earns my approval.

SynthOrange posted:

Jazz, is there anyone doing worse than I am in the bets? There has to be. :smith:
There's that guy who's bet 1 dwarfbux on every fight. I suppose you could technically just count it in terms of bets, rather than money wagered.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

SynthOrange posted:

I put almost everything on Schrodinger. :ohdear:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Vox Nihili posted:

So how would adamantium arrows/bolts work? Seems like they'd fly hella fast, and sharp, and slash through armor no problem

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is what weapons you take with you a match-by-match decision, or did Robo-Prancer just not spawn with his crossbow for some reason?

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

SynthOrange posted:

Well, I lost 990 of my 1000 Dorfbux on a single fight!

Glazius posted:

So is what weapons you take with you a match-by-match decision, or did Robo-Prancer just not spawn with his crossbow for some reason?

The manager paid points for the crossbow, then sent a special request by email to Vox asking him to discard the crossbow and only start him with a single bolt. Not the first time we've seen this strategy but I'd argue this is the most effective we've seen it.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My new strategy of "Bet on the guy SynthOrange bet against" is starting to pay off! Granted, I should probably start upping my bets past 10 each now...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Glazius posted:

You may request via email or PM to not have any portion of your gear for a particular fight, yes. Generally this is ill-advised, but it allows for some interesting strategies.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

It depends on what you mean by worse.

There have been players who have lost more first round bets than you have, but these are generally the players who have bet on almost every match.

There have been players who have already lost all of their money in the first round, which is something you haven't done, so you could say they are doing worse than you. :unsmith:

However, there aren't any players who have placed more first round bets than you have without winning a single one of them so far. :smith:

edit: Here's a more complete picture of first round betting in terms of bet wins and losses rather than bet amounts. (In terms of bet amounts, rickvoid has a huge lead at the moment.)

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 26, 2011

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Synth's first betting win's going to be the feel good moment of the first round:

code:
Ekvagir              100.00	MLK	                        247.3
Gary "Hanzo" Busey   100.00	Macho Man Randy Savage Biome    201.56
George               200.00	Ook. Ook? OOOOOOKK!	        279.61
Abandon hope all ye who are entered here.

e: Im conflicted here cos I bet on ook due to my pratchett man love, but also bet on busey for reasons I don't recall.

ee: busey is a goblin, this will be synths first win.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 26, 2011

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm drat proud of Robo-prancer and his unusual weaponry. I tried the same thing last tournament though and lost big time. It would actually be a really strong load-out if it wasn't for the whole no-parrys thing.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

VladTheEater posted:

The manager paid points for the crossbow, then sent a special request by email to Vox asking him to discard the crossbow and only start him with a single bolt. Not the first time we've seen this strategy but I'd argue this is the most effective we've seen it.

Small correction, Robo-Prancer doesn't just use one bolt. That'd be silly. Instead, all 40 bolts are surgically attached to his hand.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I wonder if I could drop my backup buckler and get my bolts shuffled around so I'm holding a few in each hand. Just for limb mishaps. :kreen:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

resistentialism posted:

I wonder if I could drop my backup buckler and get my bolts shuffled around so I'm holding a few in each hand. Just for limb mishaps. :kreen:

I asked Vox about that before the tournament started, and he said that the bolts could only be in one hand. Unless you have four arms and buy two crossbows, that is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got the touch of death. Everything I bet on dies.

AmadeusVonBlastoise
Jul 4, 2008

AMADEUS AMADEUS
~DO~DO~
~DO~DO~

SynthOrange posted:

I've got the touch of death. Everything I bet on dies.
Bet on opposing gladiators. We'll have an awesome double kill.

Edit: Oh well if it's impossible just bet on my opponent then :wink:

AmadeusVonBlastoise fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 27, 2011

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

AmadeusVonBlastoise posted:

Bet on opposing gladiators. We'll have an awesome double kill.

With the current betting system, I believe these bets are now impossible. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm 2 for 5 as a result of betting on cool names and people with low bets on them as opposed to their opponent. That'll teach me. :argh:

Looking forward to Vox running my match and calling me out for purchasing the wrong weapon material as my poor minotaur detective fails miserably.

On the bright side, doing better then Synth. :hfive:

• Locked thread