Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
He's even got the pimp cane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Is that the hat?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Xandu posted:

Here we go, they really don't like that statue.

Wait, what? I always thought the jet it was clutching was supposed to be life-sized. It's tiny!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Sure looks like it. That dude was actually very well spoken and I loved his points about Libyans being civil

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Rip Testes posted:

Is that the hat?
Yep, though I'd imagine he probably had a dozen of them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi's hat, chain, and gold thing.

Fight major insurgency, overthrow dictator, break into his inner sanctum, steal hat.

Mission accomplished.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wiping the Slut Clean :D

edit: he was saying Wiping the Slate Clean and pronounced slate like slut.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Official: Gaddafi is not an elephant.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Zeroisanumber posted:

Fight major insurgency, overthrow dictator, break into his inner sanctum, steal hat.

Mission accomplished.
I bet he plays TF2.

Engage!
Apr 21, 2011
Aww, that guy was so sincere about wanting peace and stuff :3:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rip Testes posted:

Is that the hat?

Looks like.

Brown Moses should see about finding out if one of those is for sale later. Having Gaddafi's hat in his home office would be a fitting trophy, and Goons would probably chip in to get it.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
With all of this going on, I've got to say that Libya looks like a pretty cool country overall and one that I'd like to visit one day, once all the smoke clears. The people are genuinely friendly and passionate, at least the ones I've seen interviewed, and they deserve a real future.

I'll add that to the bucket list, along with Egypt now.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi's hat, chain, and gold thing.

is there a way to make this picture the title of this thread

this is amazing, baller, and hilarious all rolled into one

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Gaddafi's weather machine just hit the East Coast of the United States with an earthquake

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

Off topic, but i think we just had a small earthquake in DC, my apartment was shaking.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

quote:

AJA breaking: Sirte is negotiating with opposition fighters to enter the city without bloodshed #Libya

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

feb17voices twitter posted:

AJA breaking: Sirte is negotiating with opposition fighters to enter the city without bloodshed #Libya

http://live.reuters.com/US/Event/Tripoli_Besieged

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!

Arkane posted:

Gaddafi's weather machine just hit the East Coast of the United States with an earthquake

People in New York City are reporting feeling it on Twitter. What the gently caress?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

To add to the strangeness of today a few people on my Twitter feed who tweet about Libya just reported an earthquake occuring.

Engage!
Apr 21, 2011

Rip Testes posted:

Off topic, but i think we just had a small earthquake in DC, my apartment was shaking.

That's not off topic. They just got Gaddafi's health bar down to ten percent and he exploded, revealing his true form.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Guys, that was no small earthquake, it was 5.8. Which for anywhere in the country outside the ring of fire is a big earthquake. I expect a new thread on that to pop up, and there'll probably be some damage.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

Then there definitely was one... I felt it

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Furious Mittens posted:

With all of this going on, I've got to say that Libya looks like a pretty cool country overall and one that I'd like to visit one day, once all the smoke clears. The people are genuinely friendly and passionate, at least the ones I've seen interviewed, and they deserve a real future.

I'll add that to the bucket list, along with Egypt now.

Definitely. However, I wouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves yet--as much as getting rid of Gaddafi is a positive development, the next stage may be at least as difficult, in preventing Libya from splintering along tribal or rebel group lines, in establishing a functioning democracy, etc., etc. Getting rid of Saddam was not the most difficult part of Iraq, not that I think they're really comparable.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

My phone's been knocked out somehow..

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Oblig USGS link
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/at00lqe6x3.php

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Quake thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432906

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
In NYC, didn't feel anything.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Golbez posted:

Guys, that was no small earthquake, it was 5.8. Which for anywhere in the country outside the ring of fire is a big earthquake. I expect a new thread on that to pop up, and there'll probably be some damage.

I'm in Northeast Tennessee and I felt it, along with a few colleagues. Dispatch asked if it was construction as I walked into the building and there was none to be found. Sure enough, Earthquake - rare here!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm in Finland and I didn't feel a disturbance in force, so it clearly mustn't be true.

Meanwhile I was wondering what the guy with a pistol in the background on AJE was trying to say as the reporter was interviewing two other Libyans. He certainly seemed like he had a lot to say.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sky News is just repeating old stuff, anywhere got new stuff atm?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

Ok, back to Libya coverage for me.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Looks like Gaddafi has descended into cartoonish supervilliany and has unleashed his earthquake machine.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Looks like Gaddafi has descended into cartoonish supervilliany and has unleashed his earthquake machine.

Looks like people made this joke four or five times already.

Engage!
Apr 21, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

Back in dictator school, they all said I was maaaad. I'll show them who's mad now, I'll show them all!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So, what's the context behind Gaddafi calling the President of the Russian Chess Federation? Or is there no context?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ChaosSamusX posted:

So, what's the context behind Gaddafi calling the President of the Russian Chess Federation? Or is there no context?

The President of the Russian Chess Federation thinks he was kidnap by aliens once, that's your context.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Looks like people made this joke four or five times already.

I made it mid-earthquake :smug:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You just know that everybody in DC is going to be focusing on this for the next week instead of on Libya or Syria, though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

No poo poo:

quote:

SAS troopers help co-ordinate rebel attacks in Libya
The Guardian has learned that a number of serving British special forces soldiers, as well as former SAS troopers, are advising and training rebel forces, although their presence is officially denied.

The Guardian has previously reported the presence of former British special forces troops, now employed by private security companies and funded by a number of sources, including Qatar. They have been joined by a number of serving SAS soldiers.

They have been acting as forward air controllers – directing pilots to targets – and communicating with Nato operational commanders. They have also been advising rebels on tactics, a task they have not found easy.

For the SAS it is a return to old stamping grounds. In one of their first successful missions in the second world war, they attacked airfields in Libya, destroying 60 aircraft. SAS battle honours include Tobruk in 1941 and a raid on Benghazi in 1942.

They returned to Libya in February this year, even before the UN mandate urging states to protect civilians from Gaddafi's forces. Shortly afterwards, a group of SAS soldiers were seized, though quickly released, by nervous rebels south of Benghazi when their Chinook helicopter landed two MI6 officers with communications equipment.

SAS soldiers later advised Misrata-based rebel forces who secured the port city and helped to pass on details of the locations of Gaddafi's forces to British commanders in the UK and the Naples headquarters of Canadian commander of Nato forces, Lt Gen Charles Bouchard.

In what is hoped to be the endgame in the Libyan conflict and the fight to oust Gaddafi, a number of SAS soldiers are now advising the rebels as they storm the capital, Tripoli.

France is understood to have deployed special forces in Libya and Qatari and Jordanian special forces are believed to have also played a role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gaddafi's golf cart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxmjS4s1Nls

• Locked thread