Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
You have to kill him to get platinum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

redreader posted:

You have to kill him to get platinum!

Well you can always do it in NG+, or like we said, right near the end of the first playthrough. Just don't kill False King or Astraea or what have you and go kill everyone else ever. That way you can get all that done and then immediately go finish the game so you don't have to miss out on whatever benefits those characters might give for all that long.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Shlapintogan posted:

Well you can always do it in NG+, or like we said, right near the end of the first playthrough. Just don't kill False King or Astraea or what have you and go kill everyone else ever. That way you can get all that done and then immediately go finish the game so you don't have to miss out on whatever benefits those characters might give for all that long.

Astrea counts towards Character Tendency? gently caress THAT GAME FOREVER, that's why I needed to to another playthrough. I really couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

redreader posted:

Astrea counts towards Character Tendency? gently caress THAT GAME FOREVER, that's why I needed to to another playthrough. I really couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong.

Pretty sure she doesn't, despite what she says Astraea has allowed a demon to take over her body and Garl is blind to this and is preventing you from killing her, the character is justified in killing them. They are shadows of their former selves.
I think what Shlapintogan meant was avoid ending the game by killing all the archdemons.

Read fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 23, 2011

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

And I just got my first platinum trophy, pure blade stone can eat a big bag of dicks whoever designed that drop is a complete rear end in a top hat. Marrowstones come in 2nd. gently caress the bodies kept falling off the ledge into the swamp.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Astraea's not evil, she's just, like, a living Hospice who got the hell out of dodge after discovering her god and the old one are the same dude. There's nothing intrinsically evil about being a demon, just ask The Maiden in Black.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing online a little bit after not playing for almost a year for nostalgia's sake and it's been fun. I'm SL 124 with a faith build and was fighting the Penetrator on NG+++, and I think after the horrible gargoyle in 3-2, he is the most difficult boss. He is fast, has multiple strikes, and that horrible penetration move of his will certainly kill you if you're in soul mode. Also, he is the best boss in the entire game, because he says nothing, is a giant knight, and wants to rape you with his sword. King Allant is so predictably easy and you have so much space to move around in, yet somebody always gets deleveled or dies during the fight with him.

Anyways, I have been invading/been invaded a lot on 1-4 lately, and I invaded probably the worst player I have seen so far in this game. He was wearing full plate armor(the knight starting one), and had a basic sword and shield. His attacks did trivial amount of damage, like maybe 100 or so, but he had a LOT of hp. Besides that, it's been the standard executioners axe build nearly everytime I get invaded, and all they do is buff and try to roll attack into me. If they want to fight me like that, the +5 blessed halberd is enough to completely lock them out. Can't wait for Dark Souls, no more instant healing white herbs.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

pixaal posted:

And I just got my first platinum trophy, pure blade stone can eat a big bag of dicks whoever designed that drop is a complete rear end in a top hat. Marrowstones come in 2nd. gently caress the bodies kept falling off the ledge into the swamp.
If you want to prove your manliness (and pass the time before Dark Souls comes out) you can import from a different region and do it all over again!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So, I've had this game for about 8 months or so but have never beaten it - just gotten frustrated with it after dying in 2-2 and 5-1 over and over. At any rate, I dusted it off and am really getting back into it wanting to beat it before Dark Souls. I decided to just play a Soldier and melee my way through it. I also don't want to hit up any guides as I want to beat it (mostly) on my own. My question is, does it hurt me to spend some souls/sharpstone to upgrade my starting sword to +2 or +3 before I find a good sword? I really don't want to gimp myself. Is there an "ideal" weapon for a STR based Soldier?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Oldstench posted:

So, I've had this game for about 8 months or so but have never beaten it - just gotten frustrated with it after dying in 2-2 and 5-1 over and over. At any rate, I dusted it off and am really getting back into it wanting to beat it before Dark Souls. I decided to just play a Soldier and melee my way through it. I also don't want to hit up any guides as I want to beat it (mostly) on my own. My question is, does it hurt me to spend some souls/sharpstone to upgrade my starting sword to +2 or +3 before I find a good sword? I really don't want to gimp myself. Is there an "ideal" weapon for a STR based Soldier?

Sharpstone and Hardstone are the most abundant stones in the game and souls come easier and easier as time goes on, if you find yourself needing the extra damage go for it. As it happens, the upgrade category for strength is the crushing line which is made with greystone. You can find such a weapon in 2-1, the Crushing Great Axe +1 above the entrance where the rocks come down from. There is also a world tendency event sword that gives a high strength bonus and is quite powerful, it is the Dragon Bone Smasher which appears in 2-3 to the left of the entrance during Pure White World Tendency. Generally speaking though, there aren't too many "best" weapons for any build. Just several highly recommended ones.

Some advice for 2-2, there is a shortcut down to the boss fight if you wish to take it as well as one that takes you about midway through the level.
For 5-1, the enemies are in fact weak to fire and so can be dealt with much more easily if your weapon deals fire damage. Such a weapon can be found in 2-2, the Dragon Longsword +1, in the lower catacombs.

e: Incidentally, showing the world tendency sword I mentioned earlier to a certain NPC in Pure White tendency will net you a very useful item for a strength build, a Pure Greystone.

Read fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 25, 2011

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I finally liberated Sage Freke because I thought he was the only guy that taught spells...only to find out there was a guy who did that in the nexus the entire time. Oh well!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ashmole posted:

I finally liberated Sage Freke because I thought he was the only guy that taught spells...only to find out there was a guy who did that in the nexus the entire time. Oh well!

Freke teaches Demon's Souls spells which are the better ones anyway.
e: besides the spell you get from clearing 3-1 is pretty awesome, as well as access to the Once Royal Maiden for spice so you can get more mana. She also sells some grass that should be a 100% heal for the first play through, and be good enough for new games.
Also world 3 is my favorite, loving mindflayers are so annoying at first, but once you figure them out they are a joke.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 24, 2011

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Read posted:

Sharpstone and Hardstone are the most abundant stones in the game and souls come easier and easier as time goes on, if you find yourself needing the extra damage go for it. As it happens, the upgrade category for strength is the crushing line which is made with greystone. You can find such a weapon in 2-1, the Crushing Great Axe +1 above the entrance where the rocks come down from. There is also a world tendency event sword that gives a high strength bonus and is quite powerful, it is the Dragon Bone Smasher which appears in 2-3 to the left of the entrance during Pure White World Tendency. Generally speaking though, there aren't too many "best" weapons for any build. Just several highly recommended ones.

Some advice for 2-2, there is a shortcut down to the boss fight if you wish to take it as well as one that takes you about midway through the level.
For 5-1, the enemies are in fact weak to fire and so can be dealt with much more easily if your weapon deals fire damage. Such a weapon can be found in 2-2, the Dragon Longsword +1, in the lower catacombs.
Thank you so much!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite Strength weapon is the Claymore. It's a bit hard to use in tight spaces or with a shield, though, so if you're doing a sword + shield strength character you should probably make a Crushing Knight Sword or Crushing Mace, and then switch to the Dragon Bone Smasher when you're in a situation where your shield isn't going to help anyway. The Claymore is sold by the Dregling Merchant in either 1-2 or 1-3 and is fairly cheap at 6,000 souls. The Mace is sold by the Filthy Woman in 5-1 for 5,000 souls. The Knight Sword is sold by the Dregling Merchant in 1-3 only (and you can find one in 1-4 but you'll probably want it before then) for a pricy 20,000 souls but is probably overall the best strength weapon for PvM.

Another favorite is the Crushing Mirdan Hammer (Mirdan Hammer is in the swamp in 5-2 to the right of the first place you enter the swamp itself) but that requires no shield to use effectively. Guillotine axe is also an option.

All Strength characters will absolutely want 18 Intelligence so they can trade Penetrator's soul in at Yuria for Curse Weapon. Sick damage for when you need it -- it's a 50% buff and if you keep your Magic stat low (under 18) and use the Talisman of Beasts to cast it (you won't meet the ToB's requirements, which is what you're after) you still get the full buff but the side effect of HP drain is much lower. This means that the only "key" to not gimping a Strength build is to keep magic low and to mostly concentrate on Strength, Vitality and Endurance.

=====

I'm writing an "extended manual" to Demon's Souls now to include with Demon's Souls itself as a birthday gift for my brother. I'm going to post it now, but one thing I've finished is my "builds" page. Here's a screenshot of the strength build:

Don't worry that I said start with a Temple Knight. A Solider will do just fine, only "wasting" like three or so points.

The other builds I've included if anyone is curious: Dex build, three spellsword mages, two pure mages, faith build, a blueblood sword build and two vit gouge builds.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 25, 2011

Read
Dec 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

Freke teaches Demon's Souls spells which are the better ones anyway.
e: besides the spell you get from clearing 3-1 is pretty awesome, as well as access to the Once Royal Maiden for spice so you can get more mana. She also sells some grass that should be a 100% heal for the first play through, and be good enough for new games.
Also world 3 is my favorite, loving mindflayers are so annoying at first, but once you figure them out they are a joke.

On my very first run through of the game, I managed to get disoriented in 3-1 and so I hated it for the longest time. Now that I'm used to it though, I appreciate the atmosphere a lot more. It is a very well done world.

e: Now I'm kind of tempted to go play through the game again with a female strength build. I always thought Miralda looked cool with the Binded Set and the Guillotine Axe ):.

Read fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 25, 2011

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So I'm on my first game, and I've been playing offline to try and get all the world tendency stuff out of the way (plan is to build up to PW, then suicide down to PB). So naturally the first time I neglect to suicide in the Nexus I fall down a hole in 3-1 and die, after already beating the 3-1 boss.

So question: The wiki says that killing a boss gives +1, and dying gives -1; but I've also read that killing a boss give ~+45%, and dying gives ~-30%. So will I get PWWT if I kill the next two bosses, or am I going to have to grind down to pure black, then kill the Black Phantom Rydel, the Primeval Demon, and a boss to get me back up to PWWT?

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Schwartzcough posted:

So I'm on my first game, and I've been playing offline to try and get all the world tendency stuff out of the way (plan is to build up to PW, then suicide down to PB). So naturally the first time I neglect to suicide in the Nexus I fall down a hole in 3-1 and die, after already beating the 3-1 boss.

So question: The wiki says that killing a boss gives +1, and dying gives -1; but I've also read that killing a boss give ~+45%, and dying gives ~-30%. So will I get PWWT if I kill the next two bosses, or am I going to have to grind down to pure black, then kill the Black Phantom Rydel, the Primeval Demon, and a boss to get me back up to PWWT?

It is way, way, way easier to do PB first. Get all the suicides out of the way, do the PB stuff, then kill the primeval demon and the PB character (each world has one). You have to do that in one go without returning to Nexus, but after that killing a single boss should push you to PW.

So basically do up to the x-2 boss in each world and then follow that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

mystery at hog island posted:

It is way, way, way easier to do PB first. Get all the suicides out of the way, do the PB stuff, then kill the primeval demon and the PB character (each world has one). You have to do that in one go without returning to Nexus, but after that killing a single boss should push you to PW.

So basically do up to the x-2 boss in each world and then follow that.

I had been hoping to avoid that, since I'd rather keep the worlds at PB for the better drops, rather than getting it to PB, getting it up to PW, then getting it back to PB if I want to do any farming. But if I must, I must.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Schwartzcough posted:

I had been hoping to avoid that, since I'd rather keep the worlds at PB for the better drops, rather than getting it to PB, getting it up to PW, then getting it back to PB if I want to do any farming. But if I must, I must.

I disagree with Hog Island. I always go the Pure White to finish the world, then PW events, then blacken. That way I can keep the worlds in black to farm the lizards and stuff and be better equipped to do so.

Did you start your character online or have you played totally offline every second of the game? If you started online the worlds will have all been averaged toward a quite white state and you could easily get to pure white with the next two bosses. If you started purely off line the worlds started at true neutral and you need to kill all three bosses without dying in body form to make it to pure white. If you're not sure or if you know for sure you've been purely offline then read the below, as the situation is still quite salvageable.

Just finish all the other worlds and leave world three alone -- that shouldn't be too bad as you already got the most useful things world three has to offer a beginning character in 3-1 (Black Leather, Doll Soul for Soul Ray, an Estoc, a few moonstone chunks) and as 3-2 and especially 3-2's boss is pretty hard and unrewarding anyway. Get pure white tendency stuff out of the way for each world (note that the pure white stuff in world 1 is right near the beginning and you can kill the dragons to help with pure white tendency so you can get there after killing the Tower Knight and the Red Dragon or Penetrator and then go back to 1-1 and skullfuck Miralda).

Got the pure white stuff for all worlds except three done? Okay. Now go online, go to the nexus, and use the start button to find the Load Character option. Load your current character five or six times. If you look at the tendency screen you'll see that all the worlds are averaged to being quite close to pure white now, including world 3. Go back off line.

Enter world three. Kill Maneater and the Old Monk and you'll assuredly be at pure white. Do pure white stuff in world three. Now get all the worlds to pure black. Do pure black stuff for each world (farm the geckos you need to farm, get the special items and kill the special black phantoms -- BP Miralda in 1, BP Scirvir in 2, BP Rydell in 3, BP Satsuki in 4, and BP Selen Vinland in 5) and then go talk to the Monumental to get your Friend ring. Now go online again and get to pure black character tendency by invading and slaying chumps. Then go put a blue stone down next to the first stair just after the 3-2 archstone and wait until the monk summons you in as the boss and then win that fight for you big yellow hat. Then do Mephistopheles.

Go back online, reaverage everything to almost white to make 1-4 easier. Finish world 1. Fight Old King Doran.

Endgame.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 25, 2011

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

:words:

drat, that's all quite helpful, thanks. I have kept this save file offline the entire time. I heard that the online world average is pretty white, so I loaded up another character online that I made but haven't used just to check- the worlds all looked quite neutral. Do you need to load it over and over to have the online average kick in?

I already killed the Red Dragon right after the Tower Knight to get the 1-1 White Tendency stuff- I don't know why people spend so much effort killing it with arrows when Poison Cloud makes it SO EASY.

While I'm at it- Wrath of God or Firestorm? I can really only see me using either to farm Geckos in 2-2, and it sounds like Firestorm is kinda random in where it hits.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

While I'm at it- Wrath of God or Firestorm? I can really only see me using either to farm Geckos in 2-2, and it sounds like Firestorm is kinda random in where it hits.

Firestorm is more random and will sometimes hit enemies multiple times or not at all.
Wrath of God hits everything within range once. Obviously, damage is based on Magic for Fire and Faith for Wrath.

Wrath is better for killing lizards, though Fire can score insane damage against big enemies.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Schwartzcough posted:

drat, that's all quite helpful, thanks. I have kept this save file offline the entire time. I heard that the online world average is pretty white, so I loaded up another character online that I made but haven't used just to check- the worlds all looked quite neutral. Do you need to load it over and over to have the online average kick in?

I already killed the Red Dragon right after the Tower Knight to get the 1-1 White Tendency stuff- I don't know why people spend so much effort killing it with arrows when Poison Cloud makes it SO EASY.

Load it two or three times and you should see the difference.

I vaaaaastly prefer trading in the Dragon's soul for Fireball from Freke, after that Firestorm. Wrath of God is literally only used for the loving gecko nest and you'll do okay on hardstone chunks with the two free easy to kill geckos in 1-4, plus the one in 1-3 if you can get him, plus whatever you can kill in 2-2. Don't spazz out about that nest, it's not really that important. A +8 shield is almost as good as a +10 one, and if there's one thing you can get your buddy to drop you once you're online it's a few chunks of hardstone.

Firestorm is kinda cheap-shotty when it does work and not nearly as reliable as Fireball which is the staple PvP spell for mages. It's also an enjoyable thing to throw in Maneater's loving face.

raton fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 25, 2011

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So today I kept invading on 1-4, and I kept getting the same guy. He was using full brushwood and had a dragon claymore, and was a terrible fighter. He'd slash me 3 or 4 times, which did horrible damage, and then he'd try to roll away but he'd just fall to the ground because he was wearing full brushwood. The fight was so easy it wasn't even fun, so I toyed with him. After killing him twice, he sends me an angry message because HES TRYING TO GET THROUGH 1-4 AND I'M MESSING UP HIS GAME!

I naturally do the responsible thing and invade him again, then he says HEH GOOD FIGHT I COULD TOTALLY BEAT YOU THO(a 4 year old could beat him, he was that bad). Thus I invade him about 7 more times, trying all kinds of tactics on him for fun and hopefully causing him to ragequit, as the creators would have wanted.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

Online world tenancy tends to be 1 boss kill away from pure white. So get that zone to the nexus and quit back to the main menu load a game to reset tenancy and tank the rating.Rez Die Zone out Rez die zone out. As long as your leave your PS3 on your world tenancy should stay the same, that's how I farmed my pure bladestone over the course of 3 days (kill me please) while online. I'm too lazy to pull an ethernet cord.

e: if you are going for plat you need to play through 4 times since you need 4 Yellow and pureblood demon's souls to get everything. So world tenancy isn't a massive deal your first play through. Get what you want and figure out what your short on after NG+. NG+ is +40% then only 8% after that. Seriously NG+ is a bit of a challenge but after that its a cake walk.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Okay, god drat it. I've done everything in this game but get a single pure bladestone. I've been farming for days now and for hours at a time and I still don't have it. I wanted to plat this thing before Dark Souls came out and finally retire it, but apparently that's never going to happen. gently caress you, pure bladestone and your retarded drop rate.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Annoying Reveler posted:

Okay, god drat it. I've done everything in this game but get a single pure bladestone. I've been farming for days now and for hours at a time and I still don't have it. I wanted to plat this thing before Dark Souls came out and finally retire it, but apparently that's never going to happen. gently caress you, pure bladestone and your retarded drop rate.

I think easiest way to get one is to go pure dark world tendency in 4-2 and use soul suck or whatever it is on the black phantom gold knights, I think they have best chance to drop one.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002

Pon de Bundy posted:

I think easiest way to get one is to go pure dark world tendency in 4-2 and use soul suck or whatever it is on the black phantom gold knights, I think they have best chance to drop one.

That's what I've been doing! I've been trying for hours this evening and I've been doing the same thing for the last few days. If I ever get it, I'm never playing 4-2 ever again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Annoying Reveler posted:

That's what I've been doing! I've been trying for hours this evening and I've been doing the same thing for the last few days. If I ever get it, I'm never playing 4-2 ever again.

I got really good at doing it blindfolded after a few hours, put some old Doctor Who on, on my 2nd monitor and drank, a lot. I got it during a fairly long marathon. Trust me drinking makes it quicker, have something to watch too.
e: That said gently caress I hope nothing like that exists in Dark Souls. That kind of drop rate is fine in an MMO keep that poo poo away from a hard game, or at least give several enemies the ability to drop it. If reapers were the ones that dropped bladestones it would have been bearable since you could farm 3 per load (doing the 3rd reaper then leaving may have still be the most time efficient but gently caress if Demon's Souls loading screens aren't long)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Only the black katana skeletons drop them, which includes the black phantom soulsuck target one too. Most people seem to have the best luck with the non phantom one through the hidden door by the first reaper's chamber in 4-2. Pure black world tendency is critical.

I've never bothered farming one though as I never wanted to wield Hanzo steel and have stayed away from katnatnantnatnantas for the most part.

raton fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 25, 2011

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Pon de Bundy posted:

So today I kept invading on 1-4, and I kept getting the same guy. He was using full brushwood and had a dragon claymore, and was a terrible fighter. He'd slash me 3 or 4 times, which did horrible damage, and then he'd try to roll away but he'd just fall to the ground because he was wearing full brushwood. The fight was so easy it wasn't even fun, so I toyed with him. After killing him twice, he sends me an angry message because HES TRYING TO GET THROUGH 1-4 AND I'M MESSING UP HIS GAME!

I naturally do the responsible thing and invade him again, then he says HEH GOOD FIGHT I COULD TOTALLY BEAT YOU THO(a 4 year old could beat him, he was that bad). Thus I invade him about 7 more times, trying all kinds of tactics on him for fun and hopefully causing him to ragequit, as the creators would have wanted.

Please tell me you used a scraping spear at least once. I can only imagine what kind of rage would've ensued if you had broke all of his equipment.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

What I don't get is if you were that bad then why would you keep using all your ephemeral eyes to keep fighting black phantoms?

Maybe it's the cling ring. Maybe they just can't let go.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Christ I suck at this game. I really want to enjoy it but it's just so drat frustrating. I do moderately well, die, go back to retrieve my souls, die again, attempt to retrieve, die and lose all my souls. Restart, recollect, die. Rinse repeat. Drink heavily during all this. Ragequit. Ugh.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

That sounds like a normal first time run, just remember to learn from every death.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You'll get to a point soon where farming souls ain't no thing. Go slow and just try to get through the levels. Depend on your shield and time your runs through areas where you obviously need to run. Draw dangerous foes out one at a time. Wear your thief and cling rings 90% of the time.

The only way you'll learn your way through the game is to die trying.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This is a game where I would not drink while playing. It will pretty much ruin what your are doing since your reaction will be delayed. If you are farming a repetitive area for a low drop (pure bladestone) then sure you can get away with it after doing the run 30 times.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

My main issues right now are defeating the octo-guards in the Prison of Hope and the rolling skellies in 4-1. The octos don't seem to stun after an attack and are able to hit me with the psionic knockback or the electric stun/beak stab combo. If I can get a strong/weak/weak swing combo in they go down, but 30% of the time they don't stagger.

I also don't remember the rolling skellies giving me this much trouble. I can't roll worth a poo poo due to my heavy armor so I just have to stand there like a chump and lose all my endurance to their attack on my shield. I guess I just need to learn their animations better so I can time their attack for a parry/riposte. They just move so drat fast. Alternatively, there's no reason I couldn't start wearing the assassin's armor set...

e: Yeah, I shouldn't drink while playing.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 25, 2011

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Satanos posted:

That sounds like a normal first time run, just remember to learn from every death.

Yeah, most of the time you can learn enemy placement and patterns to get farther, but some places feel kinda cheap. The third reaper in 4-2 was so incredibly frustrating. You'd kill the first shadowlurker, and as you headed towards the second the first one would respawn behind you, trapping you. I could never get past the second one without taking his gently caress-off laser beam, which even blocked takes off about half my life. Killing him at range is pretty much out, due to his laser, and taking him in melee is out because the Reaper will kill you. So you try to run past and kill the Reaper, but after the laser to the face I'm mostly dead and the Reaper kills me before I can re-orient the camera from running around the corner.

I probably died 8 or 9 times there. None of this would be too bad if that wasn't right at the end of a level, meaning getting back there each time would be another half hour of work.

Oldstench- I take it you have a good shield and a blunt weapon? Upgrading from a Buckler to a Heater Shield made a huge difference for me against the rolling skeletons.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wait for the guards to turn their backs then charge them (sprint with O) and you can usually get a backstab in. Once they enter an attack animation you can't stun them so if they don't stun on the first shot get ready to roll dodge to their side or back around a corner or something. If you come back with a Dragon weapon later (you can find one in 2-2 along with plenty of stones to make another from scratch -- I reccomend a dragon knight sword as the best overall use of those stones) they'll flinch a lot when struck and not in an attack animation.

When the skeletons do their big wind up either back way the gently caress up so they miss, attack them quickly to knock them out of their attack, or jam them and circle around aggressively and they'll miss if you do it right. If they hit your shield with the wind up shot just think of it as a reset switch for that fight, back up a bit, lower your shield for a second to let your stamina recover more quickly, then put the shield up again and let him roll at you all over again. They can't hurt you behind your shield if you manage your stamina well (unless you have a real piece of poo poo shield) so be patient and wait for them to make an error. If you're having a lot of trouble with them you can come back later with either your strong dragon weapon or you can get the Blessed Mace in 5-1. To get the mace stick to the right side of the valley and work your way down to a clot of goblins guarding a fog door. On this level there will be an short earthen projection into the abyss of the valley, like a plank on a pirate ship. Get on that and look down and to your right to find another, shorter projection. Drop down onto that, then down to the valley floor. If you walk straight off the first projection and fall into the nest you'll usually wake the goblins in there and they'll likely stab you to death before your recovery animation from the fall finishes up. The mace is down in that area next to a big red tick -- skeletons are weak to blunt and magic damage so the mace, having both, fucks them up pretty badly.

5-1 is tougher than most other first areas as the foes there can take a decent beating. Expect a lot of ambushes from behind and above. Bring a bow or crossbow and a bunch of arrows (60 or 70) or some magic and a few bits of spice as a lot of your foes wil be on a lower level than you and you can do a lot of thinning out that way before you have to risk dropping down into the fray.

Take off pieces of armor until you can fast roll and go at it that way -- you might be down to pants and a hat to make that happen but it's worth it. If you can make headway into 4-1 you'll find a vendor there who sells leather armor which is fairly protective and very light and makes for good low endurance gear. In 3-1 there's a set of Black Leather which is feather light but still quite protective and looks good too -- honestly it's usually my staple armor until I can get ahold of either the Binded set or Rogue's set (if female) or the Ancient King's or Shaman's set (if male), and even then I often mix and match those heavier sets in with pieces of black leather as needed to maintain my fast roll. Heavy armor isn't nearly worth the loss of a fast roll especially when light armor is so protective anyway, plus heavy armor makes your stamina refill more slowly which is a big problem in more serious fights, especially in PvP.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 25, 2011

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Shlapintogan posted:

Please tell me you used a scraping spear at least once. I can only imagine what kind of rage would've ensued if you had broke all of his equipment.

I didn't think about that, plus Ed won't take my red hot demons soul so I can't even make one. I'm on NG+++ or something, and never gave thought to the scraping spear. I rarely see it in PVP, but I love to pretend I have no backup weapon so they try to kill me with a scraping spear.

Also, if you want more of an item that is hard to get, just dupe them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Flamelurker has to be dead before Ed'll upgrade.

• Locked thread