Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Kegslayer posted:

Ending + Deus Ex Spoilers

I saw the fact that they didn't put a 'what happens to everyone' as a clear sign that there's probably going to be a Deus Ex: Human Revolution 2/DLC. We already know what happens in the future anyway. Human augmentation continues and grows to a point where people like Adam become obsolete. In addition, the UN agrees to adopt human augmentation and and UNATCO is formed. The problem is writing an open ended ending that still ties all these facts together.

As Megan says, she literally has nowhere else to go. Sarif is probably not going to be of much help, Adam hates her and her mom thinks she's dead.

While I liked the final boss fight, I still wish there was a way to avoid the first three boss fights.

I really wish they would have just said "gently caress it, we're making our own game," and used DX as just inspiration. It was a great game, but it's not like the plot was so good it needed to be preserved or whatever. Instead we get 4 endings that all amount to the same thing aside from what little clip and voiceover you get to sit through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Is the "Punch through walls" augment worth it? I'm kinda skeptical if there are enough of the special spots you can punch through to justify it but I really want to punch through walls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

General Emergency posted:

Is the "Punch through walls" augment worth it? I'm kinda skeptical if there are enough of the special spots you can punch through to justify it but I really want to punch through walls.

It's definitely worth it, there's AT LEAST one Praxis Kit you can't get if you don't have it, and it opens up a lot of valuable shortcuts.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

There are lots of walls to punch through and there is the bonus factor of a guy being on the other side who is all of a sudden like "woah the gently caress this wall exploded, I'm dead."

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

It is so, so worth it.

Minor spoiler:
It pays for itself, actually.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SlayVus posted:

You may or may not want to use the one I do.

Is there any way to get that without paying a subscription fee?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

Is there any way to get that without paying a subscription fee?

People pay for video game cheats? That is some 1995 phone number in the back of the manual poo poo.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I really wish they would have just said "gently caress it, we're making our own game," and used DX as just inspiration. It was a great game, but it's not like the plot was so good it needed to be preserved or whatever. Instead we get 4 endings that all amount to the same thing aside from what little clip and voiceover you get to sit through.

Yeah the story of this game is really... uhm... like I appreciate the faithfulness to the original, but they didn't really need to replicate every story point, beat for beat. A third of the way through I was going, well I'm going to have to save the chopper pilot at some point aren't I. And lo and behold.

Also hacking and reading every email is a mistake, it just spoils every story twist 2 or 3 hours ahead of time, and then Jensen just acts all surprised like he didn't read them in the first place.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
FYI thread if you can't get rid of the tesselation bug (triangles on textures) by turning it off, make sure you go into the ATI control panel and verify that tesselation isn't forced on by the drivers. Don't loving delete the game and have to reinstall like I just did before you figure that out.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

jerkalien posted:

:smugdog:

Anyone else start a new game because they changed their mind and wanted to go the guns n' glory route rather than sneaking around in the first playthrough? Stealth is quite fun, but I think I'd prefer to play as a technological war machine first to see the full extent of augmented power rather than doubling the play time by observing guards for hours.

This was a while ago, but I find stealthing isn't that hard if you go Metal Gear style and wait for a guard to turn around then just go go go. Also when they walk up and down corrdiors and do that half turn to look back, they don't usually turn all the way around, so you can actually go to their side, as long as you stay down you make no noise. Getting through the police station without proper access is really great fun like this.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
How the gently caress are you supposed to beat the end of the TYM building when the alarm gets sounded and the 20 guards come in and rush you.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I have a question: I've just started playing and am at the bit where the world first opens up and you get to leave the Sarif Building. I started doing the Police Station bit but after the intro mission my inventory is basically full so I left to find somewhere to stash some stuff.

Do I have an apartment or something in this game? I don't want to do missions and have to ignore loads of cool stuff because I can't carry anything else, but I also don't want to drop what I have. Right now I'm just wandering around trying to find something like the house in Fallout I guess.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

^^^I dunno if you can leave stuff in your apartment (you do have one, it's called Chiron or something), but there's a gas station with an arms dealer inside near Sarif Industries, and you can sell your extra poo poo to him. If you want to keep all the stuff you have, I guess just buy inventory augs and learn to be more selective, because you won't have access to a safe house for super long due to relatively frequent hub changes.

GeauxSteve posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to beat the end of the TYM building when the alarm gets sounded and the 20 guards come in and rush you.

There's a vent on the right. Use it either to play hide and seek and pick them off, or to slip around them and get in the elevator.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 26, 2011

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I can ghost levels easily on normal without any stealth augs at all by going all hurrghrgrhgrh Metal Gear? during missions. Then when I decide it's time for the poo poo to hit the fan and I want to invoke terror in my enemies I just run out of cover shotgun blazing away while I throw grenades at everything.

Stealth is probably more fun without any augs since you really have to be a good creeper.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RomaVictor posted:

Thanks for reading. I needed to get that out. Feels good to write it all down and make a confession like this.

You're not bad at videogames. Some games don't age well, and whether one has or not can be quite subjective in borderline cases. For example I love System Shock 2. Love it to pieces. But I can't play it; I load the thing up and it just feels clunky.

Even the good games have their flaws, and when we look back with the benefit of nostalgia we tend to minimize those. Good games become better in our minds and bad ones become worse. Deus Ex had some great ideas for its time, and DXHR definitely takes those ideas (more freedom in progression through levels, lots of little world-building things that are left to be discovered rather than shoved in your face, support for different styles of play) and runs with them. But eleven years from now I'm sure we'll be looking back at HR and noticing all sorts of things that we currently just don't know any better.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Stealth is probably more fun without any augs since you really have to be a good creeper.

Duesssssssssssssss Ex(plode)?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Pharmaskittle posted:

^^^I dunno if you can leave stuff in your apartment (you do have one, it's called Chiron or something), but there's a gas station with an arms dealer inside near Sarif Industries, and you can sell your extra poo poo to him. If you want to keep all the stuff you have, I guess just buy inventory augs and learn to be more selective, because you won't have access to a safe house for super long due to relatively frequent hub changes.

Buuuuuuttt I'm a hoarder. :(

Seriously, I hate dropping stuff in games. I'm always like, "I might need this just down the road.

Oh well, thanks anyway. :smith:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

I can ghost levels easily on normal without any stealth augs at all by going all hurrghrgrhgrh Metal Gear? during missions. Then when I decide it's time for the poo poo to hit the fan and I want to invoke terror in my enemies I just run out of cover shotgun blazing away while I throw grenades at everything.

The cloak aug actually made me worse at stealth, though it's my own fault, because I started taking bigger risks and not taking my time/thinking things through. I had to train myself to be really judicious with my use of cloak.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.
So I've just reached China and I think I figured out the whole conspiracy thing about two hours into the game. Would anyone mind telling me if I'm hot or cold for the following?

Megan isn't dead.

I'm somehow her guinea pig for her no-rejection experiment, which explains why I don't need neuropozyne.

Versalife makes neuropozyne and is evil because I played the first game.

Versalife wants everyone addicted to neuropozyne, so they were the ones who sent the hit squad to make sure Megan's thing didn't work.

So, hot or cold?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'd actually be happy if they remade Deus Ex on the same engine and incorporated their own elements though I don't think there was anyway they could have completely ignored where Deus Ex started without the fans whinging.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GeauxSteve posted:

I had just put a point into Cloak so I popped it and charged the elevator while devouring my stock of candy bars. Other people use guns/explosives to distract them or let loose with AoE weapons/grenades.

I agree and didn't get cloak until quite a while into the game. Still it has its uses when things go south or I want to make sure a guy doesn't spot me before I CQC him, thus ruining my ghost. The takedowns also just plain look more awesome when cloaked, with the downside of needing 2 batteries to use (since cloak starts eating one even if just flicked on).

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I have spent a disproportionate amount of time cold-cocking hobos with differing views on augmentation.

I loving love this game.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

GeauxSteve posted:

I had a rocket launcher, and a single rocket. They sat around discussing things in a tight formation for a few seconds before coming after me. I think you can fill in the blanks (though one survived and still tried to kill me - what a trooper!)

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

The cloak aug actually made me worse at stealth, though it's my own fault, because I started taking bigger risks and not taking my time/thinking things through. I had to train myself to be really judicious with my use of cloak.

Funnily enough I get ghost on missions where I fill security rooms with gunfire/explosions because I have impeccable timing (the room in TYM near the lasers is a good example of a place to be a bad man).

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Kegslayer posted:

I'd actually be happy if they remade Deus Ex on the same engine and incorporated their own elements though I don't think there was anyway they could have completely ignored where Deus Ex started without the fans whinging.

If this ends up are a reboot of the series, I really hope they remake Deus Ex. It was/is a great game, but there's no way they can work around the limitation of DX1/DX2 and still keep going without this turning into a gigantic trainwreck of "What the gently caress"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Happydogska posted:

So I've just reached China and I think I figured out the whole conspiracy thing about two hours into the game. Would anyone mind telling me if I'm hot or cold for the following?

Megan isn't dead.

I'm somehow her guinea pig for her no-rejection experiment, which explains why I don't need neuropozyne.

Versalife makes neuropozyne and is evil because I played the first game.

Versalife wants everyone addicted to neuropozyne, so they were the ones who sent the hit squad to make sure Megan's thing didn't work.

So, hot or cold?

1. hot, no surprise
2. mmm... I'm going to call that neutral. Hot AND cold
3&4. Maybe? I can't recall who Versalife were in the original as far as conspiracies go. I'm not done with the game but they haven't been called out by name yet. *someone* fits those hunches though.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

GeauxSteve posted:

Disable the alarm in the room. It drastically reduces the number of guards who come after you.

You can also block all the entrances with vending machines and crates.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh jesus Jensen, that's not how you correct someone :downs:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

GeauxSteve posted:

I just shot a PEP into them and made a run for it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

I have a question: I've just started playing and am at the bit where the world first opens up and you get to leave the Sarif Building. I started doing the Police Station bit but after the intro mission my inventory is basically full so I left to find somewhere to stash some stuff.

Do I have an apartment or something in this game? I don't want to do missions and have to ignore loads of cool stuff because I can't carry anything else, but I also don't want to drop what I have. Right now I'm just wandering around trying to find something like the house in Fallout I guess.

As someone already stated, there is no stash in the game. Your best bet is to abandon your obsessive compulsive tendencies and only pick up stuff you need. That means only picking up ammo for weapons that you use, and only carrying a handful of weapons because of how much inventory space they take up. There's no reason to worry about needing a specific thing later. You won't. Remember, there's multiple ways to deal with everything.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

I have spent a disproportionate amount of time cold-cocking hobos with differing views on augmentation.

I loving love this game.

Same here. Now I've become obsessed with talking to murderable NPCs and finding the most annoying line so I can keep making these:

Adam Jensen is easily offended #4
Adam Jensen is easily offended #5

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The mine templates are an interesting idea but man, I wish you could just use the grenades as mines directly like the good old LAMs. Well, maybe they didn't develop magnetic sticky-grenades with proximity sensors yet in 2027.

RomaVictor
Jan 14, 2008
Above all things, truth beareth away the victory.

Bruceski posted:

You're not bad at videogames. Some games don't age well, and whether one has or not can be quite subjective in borderline cases. For example I love System Shock 2. Love it to pieces. But I can't play it; I load the thing up and it just feels clunky.

Even the good games have their flaws, and when we look back with the benefit of nostalgia we tend to minimize those. Good games become better in our minds and bad ones become worse. Deus Ex had some great ideas for its time, and DXHR definitely takes those ideas (more freedom in progression through levels, lots of little world-building things that are left to be discovered rather than shoved in your face, support for different styles of play) and runs with them. But eleven years from now I'm sure we'll be looking back at HR and noticing all sorts of things that we currently just don't know any better.

You have no idea how good you just made me feel. I can't tell you exactly why I was burdened with a feeling of guilt. Perhaps it's because I received DX as a gift and I can't bring myself to play the gift my friend so generously purchased for me. But your explanation is better than anything I could have come up with. Thank you.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted

GeauxSteve posted:

There's a gas grenade to grab somewhere nearby I think, just toss that down there when they're all huddled together.

PS gas grenades are really, really helpful in all sorts of situations. My favorite grenade for sure, and I'm not even working for the pacifist achievement.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Bruceski posted:

1. hot, no surprise
2. mmm... I'm going to call that neutral. Hot AND cold
3&4. Maybe? I can't recall who Versalife were in the original as far as conspiracies go. I'm not done with the game but they haven't been called out by name yet. *someone* fits those hunches though.
Thanks! Versalife was the biotech firm who made the plague.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Also, count me as one of those who was trying for the pacifist achievement, but killed people in the tutorial cause they only loving gave you one gun and didn't know it counted.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

GeauxSteve posted:

I crossbow'd some dude in the head while hiding in a vent and ran out to the elevator when they went to investigate their buddies new facial piercing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Happydogska posted:

Thanks! Versalife was the biotech firm who made the plague.

Yes, but in the Deus Ex world nobody is *just* what they're listed as. If in the first game Krispy Kreme were revealed to be an evil arm of the Amish conspiracy, and in DXHR we get the plot revelation that the Amish are behind everything, then technically a guess that Krispy Kreme was the bad guy would be true but unverifiable should the guy reviewing the guess not recall the connection.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Ever since watching the cutscene of Adam receiving his augmentations, I couldn't shake the feeling that the scene seemed pretty familiar. Finally it hit me, and after a little bit of fumbling, I think I've managed to synchronize it pretty well:

http://tubedubber.com/#ZlPJtrfb5jI:S_1PssU1a9U:0:100:0:90:false

I also tried to do a version with the Lazarus Project music from Mass Effect 2, but the track is only about half the length of the cutscene, so it didn't work nearly as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
So, uh, how exactly do you find the sewers for the Talion A.D. sidequest, seeing as the game glitches and doesn't give you credit for reading the dead soldier's pocket secretary?

• Locked thread