Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

someone explained to me the story of cowbows and aliens

cowboys and aliens was trademarked in 1998 cause the guy thought the name sounded marketable. "cowboys and aliens" got a film deal based on the name but it got stuck in development hell for 10 years

so in lieu of a script he had the dude write a terrible comic book and send out 100,000 free copies to comic book stores who hated it because they couldn't sell it cause it stank. he then stuck "OVER 100,000 SOLD" on the front of the comic book and pitched it at the height of the graphic novel movie fad and got a movie deal out of it

at least i think that's how it went?? i could be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

rotor posted:

those things are all a billion times awesomer than yosposting

:ssh: the joke is suicide :ssh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

:ssh: the joke is suicide :ssh:
suicide is painless
a bitter man it changes

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

You Am I posted:

suicide is painless
a bitter man it changes

misunderstood lyrics or irony? hell I don't know anymore

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I like that line better anyway

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

she lied and says she's in love with him
can't find a bitterman

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Don't come around tonight
Cos it's bound to change your life
There's a bathroom on the right.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

i finished canticle last night. definitely a pro read. and yeah, the last chapter was great.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shaggar posted:

hell ya that shits gonna own

unlike your posting!

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

mr_jim posted:

i finished canticle last night. definitely a pro read. and yeah, the last chapter was great.

qft

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
the black company books of the north owned quite a bit, should i read the books of the south & the books of the glittering stone & the silver spike or are they gay

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Kirk posted:

the black company books of the north owned quite a bit, should i read the books of the south & the books of the glittering stone & the silver spike or are they gay

I'm reading the first one now. pretty good, It's weird how he mixes in modern figures of speech, is it meant to be on a future earth or something?

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
south gets kinda meh

the ones after get great though

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Amethyst posted:

I'm reading the first one now. pretty good, It's weird how he mixes in modern figures of speech, is it meant to be on a future earth or something?

no

i agree it was kind of jarring, especially when croaker says "Yo!" a few times, but I was willing to overlook it

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

south gets kinda meh

the ones after get great though

well the south is only 2 books long so w/e

thanks for recommending black company btw

also my copy of player of games got wrecked while camping so i gotta rebuy it :/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Amethyst posted:

nah, he's just trying to show people talking without sounding like ren faire rejects or using a bunch of made-up nonsense words. it's just soldiers talking like soldiers do.

the later books are worth reading, although none are quite as good as the first trilogy. the silver spike ties up some loose ends and finishes the stories of some of the characters who didn't head south. I liked the first two books of the south more than graham - a long travel narrative and some interestingly exotic cultural analogues you don't usually see in fantasy (you'll meet not-zulus, not-veitnamese, and spend a lot of time in a sprawling not-indian city, complete with three conflicting religions). plus, one of the books is told from the lady's perspective.

the final four books drag on forever and i found them to be a real chore. many of the main characters from the early books are barely present in them, and cook has this habit of bringing back characters that everyone thought were dead. if you've read the first three and you're interested in more, definitely read all the rest, if only to find out how everyone ends up. but be prepared for a somewhat bumpy ride.

some of cook's other books are worth reading. i'm particularly fond of his garrett, p.i. novels, and the standalone "the tower of fear". his current series (three books and counting) "instrumentalities of the night" is pretty good, too. i'd suggest avoiding his dread empire books, though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

is player of games/use of weapons significantly better than consider pheblas? Because I found consider pheblas borderline unreadable.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Amethyst posted:

is player of games/use of weapons significantly better than consider pheblas? Because I found consider pheblas borderline unreadable.

player of games is

use of weapons wasn't great but apparently I'm in the minority on that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hw2 owned

Gingoskophot
Jan 7, 2010

Tiny Head Catte

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hw2 still owns

ftfy

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

FEMA summer camp posted:

player of games is

use of weapons wasn't great but apparently I'm in the minority on that

jesus christ disliking use of weapons is probably a direct diagnosis of something horrible in your head

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
wtf, using weapons is like so much fun

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

oh hey, this thread is back.

i watched the first season of Enterprise on netflix, and aside from the terrible theme song it was pretty good. am i going to be disappointed by the rest of the series?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

mr_jim posted:

i watched the first season of Enterprise on netflix, and aside from the terrible theme song it was pretty good. am i going to be disappointed by the rest of the series?

uhhhhhhhhhh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mr_jim posted:

even if you somehow like the rest of the series then you'll just be that much more outraged at the finale

also in season 3 or so the theme music manages to get even worse

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Kirk posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh

i'm not saying it's great, but it's a lot more watchable than voyager ever was.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

mr_jim posted:

i'm not saying it's great, but it's a lot more watchable than voyager ever was.

yeah but that's a dumb comparison because Friends was better than voyager

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Amethyst posted:

just read consider phlebas and player of games, the latter is way loving better. phlebas was a bunch of loosely joined vignettes with a lovely ending, games is way more cohesive

im about halfway through use of weapons, not sure what to think of it yet. starts a little slow but its getting more interesting

think im gonna take a break on the culture series after this and read some Philip K Dick :2bong:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
excession owns but do not make it your first culture book

look to windward is slow and philosophical

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

jesus christ disliking use of weapons is probably a direct diagnosis of something horrible in your head

every part with zakalwe being a badass is p. cool but the revelation of why he's so not-give-a-gently caress is pretty weak after the entire book builds up this TRAUMATIC AND MYSTERIOUS EVENT FROM TH EPAST and makes him seem whiney in retrospect

but then i'm pretty tough irl and hold my fictional characters to a pretty high standard of rough coolness

haveblue posted:

excession owns but do not make it your first culture book

yes and yes

haveblue posted:

look to windward is slow and philosophical

and also owns

wanna smoke weed and go lava rafting with kabe

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Late PK dick reads like extremely tragic autobiographical meta fiction.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Amethyst posted:

that's because that's what it was.

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

Amethyst posted:

i was kind of shocked when i read WE can Remember it for you wholesale and realized how PK dick really missed out on creating an excellent and gripping story

luckily the screenwriters of total recall were able to salvage some of the ideas but I think dick missed out on writing a really great book

welp cya :tipshat:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Amethyst posted:

still better than late heinlein

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

haveblue posted:

most things are.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

ive had intestinal parasites better than late heinlein

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

i bought number of the beast at a used book sale for 50 cents. i got hosed over.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

haveblue posted:

my GF is reading stranger in a strange land now for a research paper and holy poo poo it's maddeningly terrible.

It's the longer edition they released in the 90s, like 100,000 words longer so I don't know if the terrible poo poo was in the original. For example, the (laughably 2 dimensional) female protagonist says "9 times out of 10, when a lady gets raped, it's her own fault."

It's full of gems like that.

EDIT: the moon is a harsh mistress is a great book, however.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Amethyst posted:

my GF is reading stranger in a strange land now for a research paper and holy poo poo it's maddeningly terrible.

It's the longer edition they released in the 90s, like 100,000 words longer so I don't know if the terrible poo poo was in the original. For example, the (laughably 2 dimensional) female protagonist says "9 times out of 10, when a lady gets raped, it's her own fault."

It's full of gems like that.

EDIT: the moon is a harsh mistress is a great book, however.

that's not even late heinlein. it gets worse.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i read and liked late heinlein when i was a little too young to really get how hosed up it was, now i look back at it and holy poo poo

i wonder if he has a granddaughter and if she ever just thinks "hey i think my grandpa wanted to gently caress me" and then just spends the rest of the day barfing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

i read and liked late heinlein when i was a little too young to really get how hosed up it was, now i look back at it and holy poo poo

this is me

there's some weird story of his i cant remember where some space boyscouts are stranded on some planet as part of their survival training and something gets hosed up and they're marooned there for years and omg bootstraps

• Locked thread