Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ross posted:

I think Hot Pie already died :(

When? Last I recall he was sticking around with Gendry and the rest of those guys at that inn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I just found out that
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wars-Light-Shadow-Initiates-Trial/dp/000721782X
is out in October!

If this is as disappointing as DWD I might just kill myself...

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

UR1S posted:

Also, to take the rule to its most extreme conclusion, since they never died in view of the reader, I'm on the fence if Pretty Pig and Crunch are really dead. I could go either way on them getting a happy ending.
The worst is yet to come and there are no happy endings

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, now that Pretty Pig (aka GRRM) has set up all the pieces he can get back to killing main characters again. Let's start taking bets on who dies next book. My guesses: Jojen, Aegon, Margery Tyrell.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

oogyboogs posted:

Let's start taking bets on who dies next book.
Probably many of his elderly readers. The shock of Dance not having a satisfactory ending has probably killed most of them already.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Ned Stark will get resurrected via some greenseer trickery and immediately killed again.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

niethan posted:

A mute ironman hid in a tree and followed Rickon and that wildling chick. Apparently he is at some really bad place. Something to do with cannibalism if i recall correctly?

Hedrigall posted:

Skagos

I.e., the awesomest place.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
At the moment of his execution, Ned Stark warged into Pretty Pig/Drogon/That bastard cat that Arya chased around in the first book.

Alternately: into his own severed head.

Am I alone in thinking that Bran's chapters, though very few, were some of the best bits in Dance? Him warging into Hodor and shouting "HODOR!" over and over while kicking wight rear end struck this amazing balance between ridiculous and badass, but then we get one more chapter from him and then NOPE no more of that until the next book. Just when it started to feel like his character actually had some sort of an arc going on, too. If anything, it would be easier to suss out his endgame than Arya's.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Desumaytah posted:

Am I alone in thinking that Bran's chapters, though very few, were some of the best bits in Dance? Him warging into Hodor and shouting "HODOR!" over and over while kicking wight rear end struck this amazing balance between ridiculous and badass, but then we get one more chapter from him and then NOPE no more of that until the next book. Just when it started to feel like his character actually had some sort of an arc going on, too. If anything, it would be easier to suss out his endgame than Arya's.

I enjoyed both Arya and Bran a lot because there was a lot of progress in the little we got. But yeah, I wish we had gotten more. :(

I feel like GRRM has to have something planned way in advance for Arya, if only because her arc has been about changing identities since the latter half of the very first book. It's always made sense for her to become a Faceless Man (Girl?), though it's not clear to me where she'll go from there.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Desumaytah posted:

At the moment of his execution, Ned Stark warged into Pretty Pig/Drogon/That bastard cat that Arya chased around in the first book.

Alternately: into his own severed head.

I pretty much hate Bran chapters, he's just such a boring character with no personality (so much so that he has to be given super-powers to make his chapters interesting).

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

That cat just had some traumatic experiences.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Mogadishu posted:

That cat just had some traumatic experiences.

I think its pretty common knowledge that Aerys warged into that black tomcat right when Jaime stabbed him and has been prowling the Red Keep ever since.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I enjoyed both Arya and Bran a lot because there was a lot of progress in the little we got. But yeah, I wish we had gotten more. :(

I feel like GRRM has to have something planned way in advance for Arya, if only because her arc has been about changing identities since the latter half of the very first book. It's always made sense for her to become a Faceless Man (Girl?), though it's not clear to me where she'll go from there.

To me it seems obvious. She is not going to go in for the don't-kill-people-you-know part of being Faceless, and pretty soon now when she's got all she can get from them she's going to go back to King's Landing and start working down her list, with the aid of warging into cats. Perhaps some Faceless Men will come after her for breaking their weird customs, but she will be able to get the edge on them, once again via cat.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I think that Arya secretly holding on to some elements of her identity through her wolf dreams does seem to suggest that she's going to go against the ethos of the Faceless Men in a big way sooner or later.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
The idea is NOT for Arya to lose her identity.

The idea is, can Arya maintain her identity even while pretending to be someone else all the time, and while being instructed that she MUST lose her identity to continue her training?

They WANT her to disobey - because they need assassins that can think for themselves instead of blindly following instructions, no pun intended. And people who would lose themselves in their fake identity would be pretty bad shapeshifting assassins.

It's a test to see if she's Faceless Man material - just like the worm test.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Quantify! posted:

The idea is NOT for Arya to lose her identity.

The idea is, can Arya maintain her identity even while pretending to be someone else all the time, and while being instructed that she MUST lose her identity to continue her training?

They WANT her to disobey - because they need assassins that can think for themselves instead of blindly following instructions, no pun intended. And people who would lose themselves in their fake identity would be pretty bad shapeshifting assassins.

It's a test to see if she's Faceless Man material - just like the worm test.

I don't know, that's pretty cliche, and this series is very rarely cliche.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

kcroy posted:

I know its done quite often in books , but the whole "oh you just missed eachother!" thing gets on my nerves. I want to be like JUST loving YELL AT HER YOU STUPID gently caress. I'm sure there are reasons he can't or w/e.. I just want to yell at the GRRM I guess.

Can someone summarize who lady lenore / arthur dayne and those fuckers are? I know they are referred to a few times in the books, but I really can't place them in the war.. what they did, why we care, etc.

Lots of strong theories suggest that he is actually a Targaryen...

Those theories are not strong in the least.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Lenore is a kickass swimmer. If she did throw herself into the sea as Ashara, she could survive that poo poo no problem.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

KillRoy posted:

I think its pretty common knowledge that Aerys warged into that black tomcat right when Jaime stabbed him and has been prowling the Red Keep ever since.

Thos has actually been bugging me. In earlier books, they said Jaime cut his throat. In thelater ones, Jaime remembers stabbing him. What the gently caress.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Maybe he stabbed him in the throat

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Maybe he stabbed him then cut his throat to make sure he wouldn't come back ala Robert Strong. Or maybe it's just another example of GRRM wanking off and forgetting what he wrote down cause he doesn't have any idea where he's going with these books.

God, the idea of waiting another 10 years for the next book has just started seeping in.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

menino posted:

Those theories are not strong in the least.

There's an entire paragraph in ADWD about how Aerys was extremely interested in Tyrion's mother. And Aerys was a rapist. I'm undecided, but if Tyrion isn't Aerys's son then GRRM is clearly intentionally misleading the people who have been speculating about the possibility.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Or maybe it's just another example of GRRM wanking off and forgetting what he wrote down cause he doesn't have any idea where he's going with these books.

Has noone noticed that Tyrion does a loving cartwheel?!?1111one

I thought GRRM had stayed really silent on the whole Backflip thing from book 1.. to see him do a cartwheel, I almost crapped myself.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

kcroy posted:

Has noone noticed that Tyrion does a loving cartwheel?!?1111one

I thought GRRM had stayed really silent on the whole Backflip thing from book 1.. to see him do a cartwheel, I almost crapped myself.

How did he learn it again? His uncle taught him tumbling or some poo poo like that? Bet he can ride the pommel horse better than Cersei can ride the Kettleblacks.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

HarveyVdarski posted:

In earlier books, they said Jaime cut his throat. In thelater ones, Jaime remembers stabbing him. What the gently caress.

Character POV - Only Jamie was there and Ned that can really confirm what happened in POV. Everything else is a game of telephone.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

bigmcgaffney posted:

How did he learn it again? His uncle taught him tumbling or some poo poo like that? Bet he can ride the pommel horse better than Cersei can ride the Kettleblacks.

His uncle Gerion, I believe, taught him. The one who set off to Valyria in search of some sword.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
After finally finishing it, I have to say that while I liked Dance, I think it's the weakest book of the series up to this point. To be fair, though, I like Feast a lot more than most others so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I love Connington, though. I think that he's a fantastic addition and I hope he stays a POV character. Also, really liked Victarion, and I'm thinking that he's going to be even better as the series goes on.

My order: 1 > 3 > 2 > 4 > 5.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Juaguocio posted:

We don't really know who Lenore is at this point, though there are some theories floating around.

Arthur Dayne was one of Aerys's Kingsguard, and was generally regarded as one of the finest examples of knighthood, being brave, honourable and all that. He won great regard for defeating the Smiling Knight in single combat. He was guarding Lyanna Stark in the Tower of Joy along with Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent, and was killed in the ensuing fight with Ned Stark, Howland Reed and their allies.

On intuition I suspect the tales of Dayne will be William Marshall's greatest hits.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Rosscifer posted:

There's an entire paragraph in ADWD about how Aerys was extremely interested in Tyrion's mother. And Aerys was a rapist. I'm undecided, but if Tyrion isn't Aerys's son then GRRM is clearly intentionally misleading the people who have been speculating about the possibility.

Aerys never was indicated as being unfaithful, and the only evidence from aDwD is that he "took liberties" at the wedding while Tywin was taking her up to the bedding. Meaning he groped her.

Not that he raped his Prime Minister's wife repeatedly over the course of many years.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

menino posted:

Aerys never was indicated as being unfaithful, and the only evidence from aDwD is that he "took liberties" at the wedding while Tywin was taking her up to the bedding. Meaning he groped her.

Not that he raped his Prime Minister's wife repeatedly over the course of many years.

Right. I think the biggest issue is that, as of yet, the timelines for that theory don't line up at all.

Edit: Haha that too VVV

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 26, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not to mention that if Aerys actually had sex with Tywin's wife I have a feeling he would have died a lot sooner than he did.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Y'all are reading too much into that. It's just a line to establish that the Lannisters had a grievance with the Targaryens and a strong incentive to be disloyal to the crown at the time of Robert's Rebellion. That is all.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Barristan isn't using a euphemism he's clearly just uncomfortable pointing out the bad stuff Aerys did because he's the most loyalist lealist knight.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

. Or maybe it's just another example of GRRM wanking off and forgetting what he wrote down cause he doesn't have any idea where he's going with these books.

Are you trolling or do you actually believe this? Because that's a really stupid opinion.

PlagueDog
Nov 3, 2010
So this has probably been discussed to death since Feast came out and Dance certainly didn't further develop it, but are there any theories as to what exactly Jaqen is doing at Oldtown? What would the Faceless Men want to steal from the maesters?
It just seems like since Feast focused its prologue and ending on that plot thread that it has to be going... somewhere.

PlagueDog fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 26, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

PlagueDog posted:

So this has probably been discussed to death since Feast came out and Dance certainly didn't further develop it, but are there any theories as to what exactly Jaqen is doing at Oldtown? What would the Faceless Men want to steal from the maesters?

Pretty sure the faceless men don't steal. That one dude reprimands arya when he sees her with the coin she swapped for a poisoned one to kill that dude.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Well, considering the Faceless Men are assassins, it's more likely that Jaqen's going to kill someone, not steal something. Archmaester Marwyn, maybe?

PlagueDog
Nov 3, 2010
True, I suppose stealing is out of their M.O. But Jaqen really emphasized to Pate that he needed the master key for the citadel before he stole Pate's face. And then (months?) later, Sam shows up, and Jaqen/Pate is still there. Why linger for so long if he's only interested in killing someone, when he literally has the means to do it at any point with that key?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I spent most of the last month reading A Dance with Dragons and watching lots of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I didn't hate all the Dany chapters, but they kind of felt like all the TNG episodes where Troi falls in love with a rapist and you yell at her more than usual for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
The Faceless Men are either for/against the dragons returning.

The Maesters are against it.

So either way the Faceless Men are there to find out what the Maesters are plotting.