Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ToxicFrog posted:

Have you ever actually played the Secret Missions? They're fun, but they don't fill in poo poo.

Actually, the pilot Jazz is introduced in Secret Missions, as is Doomsday, both of whom are in WC2. So I can totally see a player starting up 2 who hasn't done Secret Missions being like "Who are you people and why should I care?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Charles Martel posted:

it's not fair to play the main game and go back to the extra missions later. The experience is jarring, in my opinion

Of course if you'd bought the game on release, this is precisely what you'd have had to do.

Furret Basket posted:

So according to the forum and the reviews, DK2 has huge graphical and crash problems in Windows 7. Just a friendly warning.

Weirdly I've been playing the non-GOG version in 7 with absolutely no issues recently.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Dudley posted:

Weirdly I've been playing the non-GOG version in 7 with absolutely no issues recently.

Yes, same here I've never had much problems with it on Windows 7 64bit either. Even got multiplayer working. Weird.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I just bought JA2 after wanting to get into it for so long. I installed the 1.13 mod, spent a bunch of time creating a team and organizing/planning inventories, learning the game, and thinking up tactics. I saw a great Let's Play and I was pumped.

Then my six mercs with automatic weapons were killed by two guys with pistols in the first airport fight.

Welp.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Weekend Promo is Cyan games for 50% off.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Yes, same here I've never had much problems with it on Windows 7 64bit either. Even got multiplayer working. Weird.
Just one of those things I guess. DK2 is running flawlessly on my Windows 7 64bit laptop and I haven't changed anything in the installation. Good luck to those who are having problems though.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Windows 7 has been removed from the compatibility list on Dungeon Keeper 2. Welp, I wonder if they'll offer refunds to those affected.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Furret Basket posted:

Windows 7 has been removed from the compatibility list on Dungeon Keeper 2. Welp, I wonder if they'll offer refunds to those affected.

It's more incentive to just play Dungeon Keeper 1 all day.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

RealMyst description on GoG posted:

This is how the creators of this game wanted it to look like from the very beginning!
So RealMyst is the one I should get here if I've never played a Myst game before and have 0 nostalgia points right? Riven seems like a step down, graphically, so I'm less interested in that and I've heard Uru wasn't all that great.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

frogg posted:

So RealMyst is the one I should get here if I've never played a Myst game before and have 0 nostalgia points right? Riven seems like a step down, graphically, so I'm less interested in that and I've heard Uru wasn't all that great.

Riven is one of the best puzzle oriented adventure games ever made and every self-respecting gamer should play it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Amethyst posted:

Riven is one of the best puzzle oriented adventure games ever made and every self-respecting gamer should play it.

Do you have to play Myst first to get what's going on in it?
And are the puzzles easier or more difficult than Myst's?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

frogg posted:

I'd absolutely recommend RealMyst for someone who's never played Myst before. It has 100% of the content of the Masterpiece Edition, just in 3D instead of 2D. (And has an extra bonus area to boot.)

Riven may be a "step down" graphically but it still looks good, even if it is 2D slideshow style.

I disagree with those who say that Riven's one of the best designed adventure games, as some of the puzzles are difficult to the point of absurdity (the marble puzzle comes to mind.) Only play it if you have a walkthrough or UHS handy, or you'll tear your hair out.

There's very little reason to purchase Uru these days as the multiplayer version of it (Myst Online) is open source and free to play now.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Sort of, atrus makes a few references in the opening scene that will just not mean anything to you if you didn't play myst (IIRC, I could be wrong about this) but mostly the game is stand-alone. The puzzles are more difficult in general but if you approach them systematically you can figure them out. The hardest puzzle in the game involves some spatial thinking and is pretty infamous for being really hard. There's no shame in grabbing a spoiler of it if you are just plain stuck. Aside from that puzzle the rest aren't TOO bad, and as a bonus they tend to make sense better than myst's did, for lack of a better term. If you get stuck on a puzzle keep in mind that it is not possible to screw yourself completely in this game so don't be afraid to just fiddle with stuff and see what it does. Taking copious notes as to the consequences of actions you take is key to figuring out many of them.

Edit: By screw yourself I mean lock yourself out of progression in the vein of old school adventure games. It is possible to get a bad ending by doing stupid things but based on what you learn about the primary antagonist throughout the game it should be obvious what actions will lead to you failing in your objectives. Also none of them involve mistakes you made half of the game ago and forgot about.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 26, 2011

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

SSJ Reeko posted:

I just bought JA2 after wanting to get into it for so long. I installed the 1.13 mod, spent a bunch of time creating a team and organizing/planning inventories, learning the game, and thinking up tactics. I saw a great Let's Play and I was pumped.

Then my six mercs with automatic weapons were killed by two guys with pistols in the first airport fight.

Welp.

JA2 is not a particularly forgiving game. There is a thread dedicated to it, read that for some tips starting out.

Also right click for more accurate shots. You can right click multiple times.

That gave me trouble when I was starting out.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

SSJ Reeko posted:

Welp.

If you don't mind cheating, I recommend using the merc editor in the install folder to bump up their marksmanship and agility to 85.

[e] You have to start the game over though

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

Just one of those things I guess. DK2 is running flawlessly on my Windows 7 64bit laptop and I haven't changed anything in the installation. Good luck to those who are having problems though.

I hate you so much. :(

frogg posted:

Realmyst followed by Riven. Riven still looks drat good and is a great game.

Hint for Realmyst: do the Mechanical Age (accessed via the gears) before the Selenitic Age (accessed via the rocket). It makes a certain puzzle an actual puzzle rather than an exercise in brute force.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

You don't have to play Myst first, but it helps. The puzzles start out about the same difficulty but are harder by the end.

Also, for all that everyone says the marble puzzle is the hardest in the game, I had no problems at all with that. It was the motherfucking animal noises puzzle that gave me grief. Only point in the Myst series that's driven me to a walkthrough.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CCKeane posted:

JA2 is not a particularly forgiving game. There is a thread dedicated to it, read that for some tips starting out.

Also right click for more accurate shots. You can right click multiple times.

That gave me trouble when I was starting out.

Anybody have a link to the JA2 thread?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

andrew smash posted:

Anybody have a link to the JA2 thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I wish GOG had a few more racing games on it. I bought Screamer and it's a really good Ridge Racer clone, although the physics engine is hosed up (drifting seems to occur randomly, usually in tight turns, and you'll probably wall tap while cornering a lot). There's a Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally which I would love to see on GOG, but they're probably never going to release them on there :sigh:

Ideally I'd love if GOG got the rights to some of Sega's old PC ports like Virtual On and Daytona, gave them better compatibility with newer Windows versions, and added the patches that boosted the framerate. That would be amazing.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

The only racing game ever made worth playing is Fatal Racing (Whiplash to you yanks... What a silly name.) So I'm waiting patiently for that one.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Furret Basket posted:

The only racing game ever made worth playing is Fatal Racing (Whiplash to you yanks... What a silly name.) So I'm waiting patiently for that one.

Carmageddon and Revolt are great too and I hate racing games. The micromachine games are fun too, the old 2D ones, but Revolt pretty much takes it into 3D. The music was really fun too.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've seen videos of Carmageddon and it makes me want to play the game. Especially seeing how you rarely if ever bother racing, just popping off the route every so often to blow up opponents or run over people.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/26/ultima-series-and-populous-come-to-gog/

Seems on Tuesday, Aug 30 GoG will be releasing Ultima I, II, III in a bundle with Ultima IV as a free game, then Populous on Thursday, Sept 1.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Furret Basket posted:

What's the deal with this? Is it just temporary? The whole point of GOG for me is the Windows 7 support on their games.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Vertigus posted:

What's the deal with this? Is it just temporary? The whole point of GOG for me is the Windows 7 support on their games.

Indeed, I was all psyched for the DK2 release and now it's just as useless as the box sitting in my closet. I guess getting the source code is just as much a legal nightmare as the whole expansion deal.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Krolm posted:

Indeed, I was all psyched for the DK2 release and now it's just as useless as the box sitting in my closet. I guess getting the source code is just as much a legal nightmare as the whole expansion deal.

Stuff like this makes me wonder how hard they work to make sure games are compatible with a modern OS. When it comes to DOS games, they can just tailor a DOSBox profile to the game and it'll work fine. For the Windows games, however, how much are they actually doing under the hood if they don't have the source code?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Im_Special posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/26/ultima-series-and-populous-come-to-gog/

Seems on Tuesday, Aug 30 GoG will be releasing Ultima I, II, III in a bundle with Ultima IV as a free game, then Populous on Thursday, Sept 1.

Any particular reason why Ultima IV would be picked out as free when the others are bundled?

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Yeah, DK2 doesn't seem like a very stable release. I'm getting crashes at random and for some reason the game crashes if I try to go to the pause menu if the game isn't currently hovering over a fog of war. :psyduck:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Volcano Style posted:

Yeah, DK2 doesn't seem like a very stable release. I'm getting crashes at random and for some reason the game crashes if I try to go to the pause menu if the game isn't currently hovering over a fog of war. :psyduck:

This reminds me of playing through the GOG version of Planescape: Torment. It crashed over and over and over again, and there was one point where I could not progress because it would crash whenever I revealed the fog of war over one of the NPCs. Somehow I managed to get it working by restarting my computer and loading the saved game a dozen times, but then I encountered another problem where the game would crash when leaving the building I was in. I even had all the fan patch fixes installed.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Rinkles posted:

Any particular reason why Ultima IV would be picked out as free when the others are bundled?

I'm pretty sure EA released ultima 4 as freeware a few months back.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Rinkles posted:

I think EA released it as a free download some time ago.

Edit: Beaten, huh. Well here's a link to the download page! http://www.ultimaforever.com/index.php

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertigus posted:

This reminds me of playing through the GOG version of Planescape: Torment. It crashed over and over and over again, and there was one point where I could not progress because it would crash whenever I revealed the fog of war over one of the NPCs. Somehow I managed to get it working by restarting my computer and loading the saved game a dozen times, but then I encountered another problem where the game would crash when leaving the building I was in. I even had all the fan patch fixes installed.

This sounds more like a problem caused by installing the patches in the wrong order, or by starting a game, installing the patches, and then trying to continue from your earlier game rather than starting over, both of which will cause it to crash constantly.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Well they can't make buggy games run better than they did. Even back in the day on expected hardware and OS those games would crash and mess up. They just let you play it like you could back then, not wave a magic wand on it and remove all the problems.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

This sounds more like a problem caused by installing the patches in the wrong order, or by starting a game, installing the patches, and then trying to continue from your earlier game rather than starting over, both of which will cause it to crash constantly.

No, it's really not. I did like 4 installs of the game to make sure I got it right and followed the step-by-step instructions a goon posted, including starting new games every time. I'm certain it has to do with Windows 7, since the original game didn't crash so much when it came out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah forgot about that U4 promotion. Now we'll be able to get it without the hassle of giving your email to EA, again.

Since a lot of the GOG releases later crop up in other digital outlets, I wonder how much of their programming necromancy ends up in those. What's the legal status of the compatibility modifications? I'm guessing the publishers retain absolute ownership over any changes made, but GOG gets a limited time exclusivity or something to that effect.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
For what it's worth, Dungeon Keeper 2 runs fine for me.

On vista. Isn't 7 supposed to be more stable? v:confused:v

yes I know what causes old games to act weird on newer OSes it's a joke you spergs

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertigus posted:

No, it's really not. I did like 4 installs of the game to make sure I got it right and followed the step-by-step instructions a goon posted, including starting new games every time. I'm certain it has to do with Windows 7, since the original game didn't crash so much when it came out.

I played it through on 7 last year without a single crash. :shrug:

Still can't get DK2 working, though. It works for just long enough to let me think it's actually stable this time, then crashes.

MagicAlex
Jan 6, 2007

So I'm excited to finally be able to play Wing Commander 2, but I've run into a bit of a snag. I can't seem to fire while turning my ship. Is it just because I'm piloting a crappy ship in the beginning? I don't have this problem in WC1.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shame about them breaking up the Ultima games like their Sierra collections. I think the whole old Complete collection for $10 would be fine. Maybe 9 separately for $6.

I'll probably rebuy them again eventually, maybe even immediately if the bonuses are good. It'll be my fourth copy of some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I hope they include the expansions for Ultima VII. This trend of not including the expansions isn't good :ohdear: