Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

fuzzi posted:

Why is my Evo3d not updating the market? I have rebooted, wiped cache for the market and killed the market updater process and even left it sitting on the market for a while. I know I can manually update but still...

The new market app? Just find it and download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Tidbits, but the Reclaim is a lovely slider texting phone, the Replenish is likely the phone you are talking about. Blame sprint for being obnoxious with the drat names.

And the Touch Pro is barely a smartphone :)

LG seems to have two phones coming out, an optimus 2 and some 4" screen higher end phone. Both android of course.

Oh gently caress you're right, durrr. SAMSUNG! :argh:

Ballpark on timeline for the Optimus 2? Any idea of if it's going to be another 3G phone like the Optimus S? My dad and stepmom are finally reaching the point where they might actually consider spending $40/mo for a pair of Optimuses (Optimi?) instead of a TP2 and a Centro.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh gently caress you're right, durrr. SAMSUNG! :argh:
To be fair, I incorrectly called it the Reclaim first. Honestly though, as long as manufactures are using buzz words for their phone names, they should at least be forced to cycle through the entire alphabet for the first letter before starting over again.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ballpark on timeline for the Optimus 2?
Be wary of LG Android. They nailed it with the Optimus One series, but every other Android device they've made has sucked, with the G2x being the current "worst phone ever".

Not sure what's up with that, but one should test future LG devices hard within the return window and if there's any sign of trouble, abandon.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
http://androidcommunity.com/htc-evo-design-4g-specs-leaked-20110824/

Assuming the specs for the EVO Design are correct, will it have WiMax? It seems odd with the leaked specs saying "Support for 4G HSPA+" instead of mentioning WiMax.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Haji posted:

That's lame because I have a smart phone right now. I have the HTC Touch Pro. I got it right before they shut down SERO. It's a nice little phone, but I have phone envy for my boyfriend's Android.
XDAndroid runs pretty decently on the Touch Pro2 now. I use it as my main OS now instead of WinMo.

Here's the main info thread for it on the Raphael. And here are some important necessary tweaks for your CDMA version of the phone.

td4guy posted:

Just remember that the first boot will be super-slow as you're waiting for a ton of setup that's going on in the background. I initially thought it was the same old buggy Android as before. But seriously just leave your phone alone for 10+ minutes and it will magically improve.

Bluetooth works (except for audio on the TP2. dunno about CDMA TP).
Wifi works great (hacks needed for WEP).

(and one or two other issues)
XDAndroid gets better every month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

To be fair, I incorrectly called it the Reclaim first. Honestly though, as long as manufactures are using buzz words for their phone names, they should at least be forced to cycle through the entire alphabet for the first letter before starting over again.

Be wary of LG Android. They nailed it with the Optimus One series, but every other Android device they've made has sucked, with the G2x being the current "worst phone ever".

Not sure what's up with that, but one should test future LG devices hard within the return window and if there's any sign of trouble, abandon.

Take this with a grain of salt, but LG seems to have much better success with CDMA over GSM. When you compare LG phones on Sprint vs AT&T, Sprint's LG phones trump AT&T's easily (ask anyone who owned a Vu). It may be coincidence, but so far LG has been nice to Sprint at least.

Aredna posted:

http://androidcommunity.com/htc-evo-design-4g-specs-leaked-20110824/

Assuming the specs for the EVO Design are correct, will it have WiMax? It seems odd with the leaked specs saying "Support for 4G HSPA+" instead of mentioning WiMax.

Its a leak on a tech blog, probably a typo.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The charging port on my Evo 3D has suddenly become really finicky, and will only charge if the plug is at just the right angle. I'm just past 30 days on the phone, can anything be done about it or should I just live with it?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

blargle posted:

The charging port on my Evo 3D has suddenly become really finicky, and will only charge if the plug is at just the right angle. I'm just past 30 days on the phone, can anything be done about it or should I just live with it?

I was hoping this problem would go away with the EVO 3D since it plagued the EVO 4G. If it is like the EVO 4G issue it will stop charging soon and your phone will be useless.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Great, fourth phone in a month here I come!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Perhaps this is a bit :downs: on my part, but have you tried a different micro-USB cable? The parts-that-wear-out are supposed to be on the cable's connector, so even if it's a design flaw of the phone that kills cables, 70¢ Monoprice ones are drat cheap.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

blargle posted:

Do you have TEP? I dont know why anyone wouldn't have TEP with a evo3d.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal
ETF Chat:

My wife and I are on an unlimited family plan (2 lines). We renewed the contract in Dec 2010, when she upgraded her phone to an Optimus. The phone on my line hasn't been upgraded since Nov 2009. I'm likely getting a phone through work and she hates the Optimus and wants an iPhone (if they do come out on Sprint this year or alternatively jumping ship to Verizon).

Questions:
  • If we cancel my line only, are we just paying an ETF on the cancelled line? And is it prorated from Dec 2010 or Nov 2009?
  • If we cancel both lines, ETFs are per line right?
  • If I cancel my line and she holds out for an iPhone on Sprint... can she open a new SERO individual plan, port her number over, and then cancel the remaining line from the family plan? Does Sprint let you do that?

Any other tips or options for making this as painless as possible (in general or with ETFs specifically)?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Read a few pages back for how to get out of contract ETF-free. Short answer: Sprint is raising its administrative fees and you can get out of contract.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

Mark Larson posted:

Read a few pages back for how to get out of contract ETF-free. Short answer: Sprint is raising its administrative fees and you can get out of contract.

Thanks! Quick question for you...

Mark Larson posted:

Yeah, I called Sprint about the Administrative Fee hike and change in T&C's, and after a lot of bluster, was able to get out of contract. My contract says it was fulfilled yesterday. I'm going to T-Mobile :woop:

When you did it, was your Sprint service cancelled completely? Or did they just waive ETFs by marking your contract as fulfilled and your service continues until you actually do cancel? Someone else said on the last page that the only way to get out of contract for T&Cs is to cancel your Sprint service.

Just wondering about the timing in my situation: get new services, then port Sprint numbers, but I'd need to get out of the Sprint contract before the porting, right?

edit: Would the T&Cs allow me to cancel my line with no ETF and allow my wife to continue on Sprint with her line month-to-month?

pimpslap fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 25, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yes, you can tell them you want to port out and the service will continue until you port out. Some say that the contract may be scheduled to go back to what it was in 30 days, if the account is still active.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
If you get the contract cancelled and port out (I'd probably pick up a sensation), you can sell the existing phone without issue. Yes?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ilkhan posted:

If you get the contract cancelled and port out (I'd probably pick up a sensation), you can sell the existing phone without issue. Yes?
Yes -- phones are only flagged ('bad esn') if they're reported stolen or the account is delinquent (and they probably wouldn't let you port your number out anyway in the latter case). Just make sure you look into whatever factory resets are available for your phone beforehand, since clearing all account data might require your MSL, which, iirc, sprint cs can only give you for an active phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Yep, and for factory complete reset dial ##786# and enter msl (sprint can give that to you before you cancel, so wipe before canceling).

FYI if you would have had to pay a termination fee it would be prorated, starts at $200 and goes down $5 a month. Every line is its own seperate contract and TOCs, so you can cancel one without affecting others.

Frickin WSJ leaking the info on the iPhone is absolutely killing my sales :/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Every line is its own seperate contract and TOCs, so you can cancel one without affecting others.
How does that work with a two-line family plan? Will they just transfer you to a comparable individual plan for the remainder of the contract should you decide to cancel a line?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can you opt-out of your contract and still continue with your current line of service? Or is the opt-out only if you discontinue?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How does that work with a two-line family plan? Will they just transfer you to a comparable individual plan for the remainder of the contract should you decide to cancel a line?

Yep. Usual case is $129 family plan, so you go to the $69 family plan.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

a shameful boehner posted:

Can you opt-out of your contract and still continue with your current line of service? Or is the opt-out only if you discontinue?

Only if you discontinue

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I'm trying to decide on which case with a kickstand should I get for my Evo3D.

Has anyone tried the seidio case: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/csr3hev3dk-bk.htm

Or the case-mate HTC Evo 3D pop case: http://www.case-mate.com/HTC-Evo-3D-Cases/Case-Mate-HTC-Evo-3D-Pop-Cases.asp

Or if anyone knows of a better case that has a kickstand I will be more than happy to take a look at that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have to say the pictures of the white EVO 3D look better than the white EVO 4G. Very nice looking.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
FUUUCCCKKK. My first-gen, easy-to-root Evo has decided to not charge anymore.
Is the Evo 4G still the best phone going on Sprint? I'm not going iPhone, sorry.
I do have TEP, but my mom's phone usb port died, and after paying $100 for TEP's deductible, she's got a phone with a hundred problems. I'll take a new phone, thanks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EVO 4G is last year's top phone. This year it's generally regarded as the EVO 3D, with the Nexus S 4G and the Motorola Photon as strong contenders.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The 3D is out. The camera resolution isn't as good as my EVO's, and I can't stand the screen size.
I have just been reading about the Photon, which looks awesome. How easily rooted is it? I use WiFi Tether on a daily basis, as well as Titanium.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
Is the Samsung Epic still worth it if I can find it sub-$200? I'm getting extremely sick of my Optimus being fine one day and turning into poo poo the next.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
It's the same size screen and megapixels are completely meaningless. The 3d takes some pretty great pictures.

Photon's completely locked down afaik where the 3d can be completely unlocked.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

sharkytm posted:

The 3D is out. The camera resolution isn't as good as my EVO's, and I can't stand the screen size.
I have just been reading about the Photon, which looks awesome. How easily rooted is it? I use WiFi Tether on a daily basis, as well as Titanium.

I believe TEP is different now and they'll fix your phone for free as long as its not water damage or in two pieces. I used TEP to get a new phone, and didn't have any problems with it at all.

I went from a 4g to a 3d, and holy poo poo it is amazing. I couldn't go back to a lower resolution phone, and the screen is awesome. I'm not sure what you meant by screen size since the dimensions with the OG evo are pretty much the same. If you meant resolution, ok I guess having bigger icons and stuff might be helpful for some people, but I find reading webpages and other things like that are much easier now.

Also, as far as rooting/dev goes, I'm pretty sure the 3d is going to have better community support than the photon. Toastcfh/Teamwin are already rumored to have a mostly working cm7 port that is being finished up for release any day now. There are already people running AOSP roms, albeit sound and camera issues are present but again, I've heard TeamWin has that solved.

ease fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 26, 2011

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

fyallm posted:

I'm trying to decide on which case with a kickstand should I get for my Evo3D.

Has anyone tried the seidio case: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/csr3hev3dk-bk.htm

Or the case-mate HTC Evo 3D pop case: http://www.case-mate.com/HTC-Evo-3D-Cases/Case-Mate-HTC-Evo-3D-Pop-Cases.asp

Or if anyone knows of a better case that has a kickstand I will be more than happy to take a look at that.
I got this one in purple.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Vibe-Slider-Stand/dp/B0058VZVBE

Pros: The kickstand locks in place so you can stand the phone up on any side except the top. Hardshell. Easy to put on.

Cons: not rubberized so it's slick and will slide around when you poke the screeen whilst it's on its stand.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

big mean giraffe posted:

It's the same size screen and megapixels are completely meaningless. The 3d takes some pretty great pictures.

Photon's completely locked down afaik where the 3d can be completely unlocked.

Photon has been rooted and unlocked as of last week or so. Rooting and unlocking your photon might lead to a loss of 4g. Ymmv.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sharkytm posted:

Ok I am confused. While I really don't like the screen of the EVO 3D (it is too narrow to me in comparison to the EVO 4G) overall the screen size is the same. The Photon is also the same size. So what did you mean by that statement?

The camera resolution isn't as high as the EVO 4G, but overall it takes the same quality of picture (which is not great at all, just pretty average).

So what would I do if I was you? Buy a used EVO 4G online and wait. Why? See if next month the SGSII turns out to be as good as the European version. Wait to see what the Sprint iPhone5 is about in October a month later. Heck by the end of the year the Nexus Prime ICS or whatever it will be called will be out (which should be worth the wait for the people who passed up the EVO 3D). No rush man.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Duckman2008 posted:

Tidbits, but the Reclaim is a lovely slider texting phone, the Replenish is likely the phone you are talking about. Blame sprint for being obnoxious with the drat names.

And the Touch Pro is barely a smartphone :)

LG seems to have two phones coming out, an optimus 2 and some 4" screen higher end phone. Both android of course.

Sorry bro, but the Reclaim is a pretty good phone with great: reception, battery life, keyboard, and web browser on a dumbphone.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I played with the 3D and love it, though it's hard to get the 3D camera to work properly. Maybe it's just that display model.

I've waited since April to get a new smartphone and that day will come tomorrow. I know about Nexus Prime and iPhone 5 but I'm not waiting any longer.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Photon has been rooted and unlocked as of last week or so. Rooting and unlocking your photon might lead to a loss of 4g. Ymmv.

Does that still include buying that $100 dock?

halokiller fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 26, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

T-Shaped posted:

Is the Samsung Epic still worth it if I can find it sub-$200? I'm getting extremely sick of my Optimus being fine one day and turning into poo poo the next.
Absolutely not. You can find them for $100-125 used, but you're much better off with a used Evo. It runs OK on the latest official, Froyo, release. There's still no word on an official GB release, but there's been a steady stream of leaks for a few months now, and all of them are rather buggy and reboot multiple times a day. I'd be amazed if an official GB release actually happens with these bugs fixed.

Also, forget ICS. CyanogenMod support is marginally existent, I'd expect CM8 not to happen. It might be a better choice than an Evo Shift if you need a hardware keyboard, only becuase the GB update on the Shift is pretty awful too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

Sorry bro, but the Reclaim is a pretty good phone with great: reception, battery life, keyboard, and web browser on a dumbphone.

The Reclaim either works really well, or it gives you a lot of problems. The features are nice, but the hardware seems to break down a good bit.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

halokiller posted:

Does that still include buying that $100 dock?
No. There's also an unlocked bootloader, but it breaks WiMAX. Good news is that restoring the locked bootloader restores WiMAX and preserves root, so it's not a permanent loss. The expectation is that once Motorola releases the kernel sources, the WiMAX issue can be fixed on the unlocked bootloader as well.

Personally for anyone interested in rooting and otherwise indifferent between the 3D/Photon, I'd go with a 3D over the Photon as the unofficial unlock method (revolutionary.io) works well, and HTC's official unlock means the device is future proofed--if you have to exchange for a new unit that comes with a subsequent update, it's guaranteed to be unlockable. But Photon development is far enough along that if the device is genuinely preferred, it's not a bad option.

As for the SGSII, it's not worth waiting for. The 3D is 90% of its featureset, basically just missing that awesome AMOLED+ screen. However, it simply won't be as good as the European unit as Samsung still can't make a CDMA radio worth a drat. For that reason, assuming they manage to both release it on time, and with relatively few bugs, I have little hope for a timely ICS upgrade either by Samsung or by CyanogenMod.

Even if I'm wrong, and the Sprint SGSII turns out to be stellar, I'd still rather give up AMOLED+ to hedge my bets on that and get a solid, well supported phone today.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know what the latest EVO 3D update updated? It was an HTC software update that just went out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

big mean giraffe posted:

Anyone know what the latest EVO 3D update updated? It was an HTC software update that just went out today.

I have two application updates, HTCAddProgramWidget and SPCSCorp4g. The OTA might be the one I posted about last week.