Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I pretty much have to use Google DNS here because Bell's DNS makes 50% of all pages fail to load when I visit them until I refresh. Never had that problem with Videotron/cable back when I was with them a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
I'm moving to a new place in North York (Toronto) on September 15th. Originally I was planning on signing up with Teksavvy for their 15/1 cable service. Now that I have been approved for the place, I tired to sign up with Teksavvy only to find out they are not doing new registrations in that area :(

Anyone have any idea when they might start accepting new registrations again? I spoke to them on the phone and they said they only stopped accepting them in that area a week ago.

Also, anyone have suggestions for alternatives? even if there is a service I can sign up for temporarily, and use the same modem for that I would use for Teksavvy, until Teksavvy is available?

Lastly, I havent really considered DSL. It just looks expensive for the speeds/limits you get compared to cable.. am I missing something? Thanks!

Naes fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 19, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hahahaha Oh Cogeco. So very glad I'm not employed with them anymore.

I remember when they bought Cabovisao over in Portugal, and the company split into Cogeco Cable Inc and Cogeco LLC. My dad was like "Heh, the LLC is just when that other company fails, they're not held liable. The consumer is."

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Welp, September 8th is the last day I have Rogers Internet. MAN, was the woman who took my call insufferable. When I told her I was leaving, she challenged me with "And do you think you're actually going to be using 300 gigabytes a month?"

Also, the switch is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Rogers requires 30 days cancellation notice, and Teksavvy can't book more than 7 days in advance.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vergeh posted:

Welp, September 8th is the last day I have Rogers Internet. MAN, was the woman who took my call insufferable. When I told her I was leaving, she challenged me with "And do you think you're actually going to be using 300 gigabytes a month?"

Also, the switch is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Rogers requires 30 days cancellation notice, and Teksavvy can't book more than 7 days in advance.

YEs, the hell I do, why do you think I'm switching.

IS the correct answer.

:D some people seem to have been able to avoid disconnection. Try the DSL reports teksavvy forums?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Vergeh posted:

Did you tell Teksavvy that you were already connected with Rogers and needed to cancel? They can only book a contractor to make a new connection to your house 7 days in advance, but if you tell them your last day with Rogers, they can just set it up as a transfer of service on their end, and in that case the earlier you tell them the better.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah, I cancelled Rogers years prior to getting Teksavvy's cable service and when I plugged my modem back in I actually got a Rogers page. You won't need a contractor; just tell them to port you and you're good.

That's a good line out of customer retention. I had the guys below them tell me to quit if I was unhappy with throttling, but at least CR was trying to be nice about the fact there was nothing they could do.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 21, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

drat it, TekSavvy Cable is never going to make it here and I'm going to be stuck with Cogeco until the end of time :mad:

(Ancaster, ON)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Martytoof posted:

drat it, TekSavvy Cable is never going to make it here and I'm going to be stuck with Cogeco until the end of time :mad:

(Ancaster, ON)

Move to Ottawa. :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Move to Ottawa. :colbert:

If I'm going to move to get TekSavvy I'll just move to Toronto thank you very much :colbert:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Martytoof posted:

If I'm going to move to get TekSavvy I'll just move to Toronto thank you very much :colbert:

One of those cities has a real hockey team. The other does not. :colbert:

(The one that doeesn't is Toronto btw HTH!)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Holy poo poo.

So I moved into a new place at the beginning of the month, and my landlord switched to Rogers Extreme (100 GB limit) sometime in the second week. I used a fair bit of bandwidth reading hilarious comedy on the internet (including a few picture threads in GBS), and utorrent tells me I've transferred about 4.5 GB total there as well, but I thought I was being pretty careful overall.

On the 17th, I got a notification that we were already at 75% of the bandwidth limit. I thought "okay, this isn't that big a deal, I'll just go back to being super conservative for the rest of the billing period and after that just be a lot more careful - 25 GB should last a few weeks anyway."

On the morning of the 20th, I got a notification saying we hit 100% of the usage. That's 25 GB of bandwidth gone in three days. I don't have access to the Rogers bandwidth tracker, so that morning I installed NetMeter so I could see how much bandwidth I've actually been using. Should've done it earlier, really, but too late now.

My landlord was gone for the weekend and just got back, so I asked him to check the Rogers site for me and he just printed off the daily usage totals for the month for me. Here's the past few days' totals:

code:
Day         Download (MB)  Upload (MB)
Aug-20      1,019          46
Aug-19      3,299          2,233
Aug-18      2,565          2,854
Aug-17      8,703          5,186
Aug-16      5,817          4,743
Aug-15      4,796          7,758
2 GB uploaded? A day with almost 8 GB uploaded? And this is with no torrents running. My landlord said he suspected his computer had a virus, but even then those numbers seem pretty ridiculous. There's another guy living here too, so it's possible he had something to do with it, but I doubt it considering the two of them were on the 15 GB package before I moved in.

He's going to call Rogers soon and get this sorted out, and I'm probably going to end up helping him back everything up and restore his computer, but good lord does this ever suck.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
FWIW even if you're browsing hilarious picture threads 4 hours a day you'll be lucky to push a gig or two.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Eej posted:

FWIW even if you're browsing hilarious picture threads 4 hours a day you'll be lucky to push a gig or two.
I know, right? Like I said, I installed NetMeter yesterday morning and then gone about my usual business (sitting at my computer) the past couple days, and even after redownloading Visual C# Express I'm at a grand total of 500 MB transferred.

Edit: VVVVV True, but like I said, I haven't even had utorrent running the past few days, and the statistics in utorrent say I've uploaded a grand total of 522 MB since I installed it earlier in the month.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 22, 2011

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
You can push a few gb a day using a torrent client limited fairly hard. Its not that hard to do it.

Cide
Sep 27, 2003

uTorrent uploading around the clock at 30KB/s is 2.5GB per day. It's really not that hard to do.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh Rogers, how glad I'll be when I'll get rid of thee.

So somebody did the correct thing and filled a complaint to CRTC about Rogers and their throttling practices (not that it'll have any effect, mind you). The answer is obvious:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Gamers+launch+complaint+about+online+traffic+throttling+with+CRTC/5295164/story.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/08/22/crtc-rogers-traffic-shaping_n_933370.html

quote:

We are in full compliance with Consumer Protection legislation, the Telecommunications Act and the CRTC regulations. That is why the CRTC investigations have not resulted in any findings that we are out of compliance.

Our Internet Traffic Management Policies are exactly what we have disclosed on our website. Details of our Network Management Policy can be found here.

Go suck a bag of dicks Rogers. I am using your internet and I know for a fact that I am not using any P2P applications, and yet, you do unleash you wrath on me whenever i choose to play WoW or SC2 . And the guy in the article was playing COD. Wife browses emails, kid is playing some flash games and I play my own games while listening to internet radio. There ya go, 20 connections consumed in an instant. And they just kill some whenever they feel like it. This is not P2P Rogers, this is normal usage.

Any company on this planet, if they release a buggy product they either update it asap, or if it inconveniences customers, they pull it off the shelves. Their loving application is a one buggy pile of poo poo and they keep on insisting on using it. gently caress the customer. gently caress them to hell. How dare they use the thing they're paying for.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm moving to a new place in a week and I want to set up Teksavvy, but I'm having trouble deciphering their website. All I want is speedy with a big cap. Should I be getting DSL or Cable? Which plan?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Koine posted:

I'm moving to a new place in a week and I want to set up Teksavvy, but I'm having trouble deciphering their website. All I want is speedy with a big cap. Should I be getting DSL or Cable? Which plan?

Big cable has no cap, but not super duper high speeds.
Most of the DSL packages have the same cap.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Koine posted:

Each province gets different speeds, caps and prices. Is really depends on where your moving and whats available. Also make sure you order it soon they take 3 weeks to process an order.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm in Mississauga, Ontario.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Someone earlier mentioned an issue with TekSavvy and youtube. This now seems to be an issue with any streaming site.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26236939-Cable-Magavideo-Throttled-

can anyone here confirm what the issue may be?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Problem for me ended up being the DNS.

I've had no problems whatsoever since changing it.

e: Try using this program to find the best DNS for your area: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I got sick of getting shafted by Telus (Dropping from 9 to 4 theme packs would save a whole $8) and switched back to Shaw today.

It seems ridiculous I now have 50mbps internet, HD, 4 theme packs and PVR rental for $75/month for the next 6 months, and something like 7 months before they start caring about how much I download.

Unfortunately the tech didn't know how to provision the new Cisco wireless gateways into bridge mode. I'm not looking forward to calling tech support.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

frumpsnake posted:

Unfortunately the tech didn't know how to provision the new Cisco wireless gateways into bridge mode. I'm not looking forward to calling tech support.
The Call Centre reps don't know what you're talking about. I got an awful SMC wireless gateway. Ended up putting my existing router into it's DMZ.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sprawl posted:

Each province gets different speeds, caps and prices. Is really depends on where your moving and whats available. Also make sure you order it soon they take 3 weeks to process an order.

I recently switched departments to customer service but just to explain:

- Different speeds, caps and prices based on province
- Different services available based on where in the province (for example, everything GTA and up can get cable but Windsor, Ontario cannot. We had to make a deal with Cogeco to get cable in Chatham. Hopefully we make more deals with Cogeco so we can service more of Southwestern Ontario)
- If you have zero service with anyone, you can have DSL/Dry Loop set up in five business days and Cable set up in seven business days.
- We tend to suggest to people who can get cable to get it due to the faster speeds and cheaper price to our faster cable. Almost anyone can get our DSL but the speeds can differ and the fiber lines can get ridiculously expensive, especially on the first payment (thanks Bell and CRTC for that $99 start-up fee).

If you want Koine, you can send me a private message here and I'll help you figure out what to get. Or just post your postal code. After that, just call us up. If you want to get to a CSR fast, call between 9PM-11PM. Anything before you might sit in a queue, anything after and our Bell Portal will possibly go down (It's gone down at 12AM every day last week) and all we can do is give information.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Italy's Chicken posted:

The Call Centre reps don't know what you're talking about. I got an awful SMC wireless gateway. Ended up putting my existing router into it's DMZ.

Well apparently they've been mistakenly sending DPC3825's preconfigured for bridge mode (intended for businesses) to consumers and vice versa, so I presume its becoming more of a common request. Will DMZ it in the meantime.

I figured I could wait until Monday, but I've since discovered that the DPC3825 mysteriously doesn't work with DLNA media sharers. And enabling UPnP requires you to change your password at the same time. :psyduck: gently caress ISP locked down routers.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 28, 2011

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Lone Rogue,

Any chance of higher cable speeds soon?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rawrbomb posted:

Lone Rogue,

I wish Shaw would come to KW. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish Shaw would hit Ancaster, or that TekSavvy would make some deal with Cogeco in Ancaster. My TV prices are going up too now, and honestly I just want to ditch Cogeco altogether but I'm dreading downgrading to DSL. I've heard nothing but horror stories :smith:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
My whole house is using Acanac DSL instead of supporting Cogeco (at least on the internet side). gently caress them. Luckily I'm the only heavy user. They've turned to complete poo poo in the past 15 years; it's pretty sad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rawrbomb posted:

Lone Rogue,

Good chance but no idea when. We haggled out new prices with Bell but it came with that stupid $99 start up fee. I can only imagine what the cable companies are asking to prevent TekSavvy from higher speeds. Videotron was nice enough to give TekSavvy up to 30Mpbs but it's with a 120gb cap.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I love that Shaw is finally recognizing there's people who don't want its TV service anymore. Broadband 50 is great so far, 50 mbps and only a handful of TV channels that I watch, CBC, NBC and Global for the News.

I'd get TekSavvy if I could in my area but I really have no complaints about Shaw, they have no bullshit contracts and no fees for setting anything up. Aside from taking a while to get in touch with their phone support when I need to move, I've never once had to call them for anything and my internet hasn't once gone down in the 6 years I've been with them aside from the wildfires in our area 5 years ago.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Godinster posted:

I love that Shaw is finally recognizing there's people who don't want its TV service anymore. Broadband 50 is great so far, 50 mbps and only a handful of TV channels that I watch, CBC, NBC and Global for the News.

I'd get TekSavvy if I could in my area but I really have no complaints about Shaw, they have no bullshit contracts and no fees for setting anything up. Aside from taking a while to get in touch with their phone support when I need to move, I've never once had to call them for anything and my internet hasn't once gone down in the 6 years I've been with them aside from the wildfires in our area 5 years ago.

yea the only reason not to go shaw is if you want unlimited downloads and dont want to pay that $120 for the unlimited 100 plan. Because those plans "upgrade" as you go over the download cap tiers.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

Lone Rogue posted:

Good chance but no idea when. We haggled out new prices with Bell but it came with that stupid $99 start up fee. I can only imagine what the cable companies are asking to prevent TekSavvy from higher speeds. Videotron was nice enough to give TekSavvy up to 30Mpbs but it's with a 120gb cap.

Did Bell ever give a reason for the $99 startup fee for the ADSL2 profiles? I can sorta see why you might want a tech when switching from ADSL to VDSL (I'm assuming the 25/7 profile is VDSL), but changing $99 and sending out 2 techs to just change profiles seems a tad excessive. Granted its Bell so their reason is probably "gently caress you, thats why".

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

*Finally* found someone at Shaw who could provision my Cisco as just a modem. Tech support couldn't do it but some random Shaw employee on digitalhome.ca can.

Sprawl posted:

yea the only reason not to go shaw is if you want unlimited downloads and dont want to pay that $120 for the unlimited 100 plan. Because those plans "upgrade" as you go over the download cap tiers.

I doubt I'd ever hit the 1TB cap on the $99 plan anyway, but you CAN get unlimited for $59 if you're happy to settle for 7.5Mbps :)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 29, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fractal Cat posted:

Did Bell ever give a reason for the $99 startup fee for the ADSL2 profiles? I can sorta see why you might want a tech when switching from ADSL to VDSL (I'm assuming the 25/7 profile is VDSL), but changing $99 and sending out 2 techs to just change profiles seems a tad excessive. Granted its Bell so their reason is probably "gently caress you, thats why".

Basically, it's because Bell send out two technicians for those jobs.

You're more than welcome to figure out on your own why that sounds flimsy.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

*Finally* found someone at Shaw who could provision my Cisco as just a modem. Tech support couldn't do it but some random Shaw employee on digitalhome.ca can.

I doubt I'd ever hit the 1TB cap on the $99 plan anyway, but you CAN get unlimited for $59 if you're happy to settle for 7.5Mbps :)

Right but if you go tekksavy you can get unlimited 25/2.5 for 54.99 so thats why i say that.

KingChicken
Apr 17, 2001
Moving to Ottawa, signing up for Teksavvy cable. Does anyone have any horror stories of their cable? Had Bell DSL last time I lived there - never again. I assume cable through Teksavvy will be Rogers speeds with no throttling bs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

KingChicken posted:

Moving to Ottawa, signing up for Teksavvy cable. Does anyone have any horror stories of their cable? Had Bell DSL last time I lived there - never again. I assume cable through Teksavvy will be Rogers speeds with no throttling bs?

...ugh, I hate how I have to be careful what I have to say.

But basically, if Rogers is throttling, you will still be throttled. You cannot avoid throttling by cable.

However, if you go with our DSL, you may also be throttled. It's been said and I have absolutely no idea if this is true and you'd have to look up some website like DSLReports to know the truth of it but if you pay $4 a month for an MLPPP line, even as a SLPPP (just one DSL connection), it is said you can avoid throttling that way. TekSavvy only provides MLPPP to bond two connections together.

So yeah, that's your option if you want to avoid throttling. But as an employee of TekSavvy, I cannot promise you it will work or promise you it even does that. I have no idea! Tra la la...