Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

traveling midget posted:

I have two application updates, HTCAddProgramWidget and SPCSCorp4g. The OTA might be the one I posted about last week.

I was talking about those two. Just wondering what they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

dexplosivo posted:

If this is true, hello new phone.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903327904576526690675657466.html

Are we going to be able to get this on the $40 SERO Plan? My Touch Pro 1 can't handle much more use.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Blakkout posted:

Are we going to be able to get this on the $40 SERO Plan? My Touch Pro 1 can't handle much more use.
Nobody knows. I would be shocked though if it was available on $40 SERO, despite it technically fitting in the existing service price structure for it.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

sharkytm posted:

The 3D is out. The camera resolution isn't as good as my EVO's, and I can't stand the screen size.
I have just been reading about the Photon, which looks awesome. How easily rooted is it? I use WiFi Tether on a daily basis, as well as Titanium.

Not sure I understand this. The screens on the 3d and photon are the same size and resolution and if anything the photon screen is worse because it is RBGW pentile. Also the camera on the 3d is fine ...megapixels don't mean much.

The only reason that I could see for not getting the 3d would be if you really want to use the photons dock or just can't stand sense which if you liked the original evo I'm guessing isn't the case.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

tomguycot posted:

Not sure I understand this. The screens on the 3d and photon are the same size and resolution and if anything the photon screen is worse because it is RBGW pentile. Also the camera on the 3d is fine ...megapixels don't mean much.

The only reason that I could see for not getting the 3d would be if you really want to use the photons dock or just can't stand sense which if you liked the original evo I'm guessing isn't the case.

gently caress, I wasn't aware that the Photon had the same size screen. I want the same as my Evo. As for photo quality, I'll have to check it out in person. I use my camera a LOT, I use it for work constantly, thanks to geo-tagging of photos.

I guess I'll check out the 3D.

And I love sense. Call me crazy.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As for the SGSII, it's not worth waiting for. The 3D is 90% of its featureset, basically just missing that awesome AMOLED+ screen. However, it simply won't be as good as the European unit as Samsung still can't make a CDMA radio worth a drat. For that reason, assuming they manage to both release it on time, and with relatively few bugs, I have little hope for a timely ICS upgrade either by Samsung or by CyanogenMod.

Even if I'm wrong, and the Sprint SGSII turns out to be stellar, I'd still rather give up AMOLED+ to hedge my bets on that and get a solid, well supported phone today.
I've heard you say this before, but aren't all Korean networks CDMA and WiBro/WiMax? Maybe Korean carriers made like Canada and NZ and replaced their CDMA with GSM/UMTS for international compatibility, but I can't imagine inexperience with CDMA is Samsung's issue.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'm still trying to figure out how people can automatically discount the SGS2 and say the EVO3D is a solid phone when this thread is full of people who are having hardware issues with their 3D, including a few who are on their 3rd (!) phone already. I mean, I get that people are still sore over their issues with the Epic, but is HTC really that much more impressive than Samsung at this point?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

I've heard you say this before, but aren't all Korean networks CDMA and WiBro/WiMax?
From what I can tell, some of the networks are UMTS/HSPA+ and others are CDMA EVDO.

But you're right, Samsung shouldn't have trouble with CDMA radios as they've been making them forever, both for their domestic market and North America export.

I suspect though, like much of their stuff, the CDMA baseband code was forked long ago and the group tasked with porting it for the domestic models is just different from the one that ported it for the Epic and Fascinate/Mesmerize. The latter of which isn't as experienced with the code, or whatever, and not doing a great job managing it.

But seriously, the baseband is a major source of trouble for the Epic and it really shouldn't be. I can see why porting new versions of Android can be difficult, but the biggest remaining issues with the Epic (GPS, panics/watchdog reboots, etc.) especially with the GB leaks appear to due to the radio. It's also the component seeing the most work across GB leaks.

dphi posted:

I mean, I get that people are still sore over their issues with the Epic, but is HTC really that much more impressive than Samsung at this point?
Yes. Evo 3D issues are hardware in nature, manufacuring/quality related? Samsung makes good hardware, their issue is lovely software. The problem with lovely software is that it affects all devices. Replacing the hardware doesn't make those problem go away.

HTC has gotten a bunch of flak recently for their GB updates. But at least they delivered them. The Epic, Fascinate, hell even the Droid Charge--none of them have an official GB release. Also, poo poo like the GPS never working consistently on any of them. Even when it works the best (e.g., Epic's EC05 is pretty good), it still suffers from confirmed, show-stopping syncrhonization bugs that cause it to randomly lockup. A problem that's only gotten worse in the GB leaks.

As for the SGSII, they did address the design flaws that hindered the original international Galaxy S model, which Samsung has gotten much praise for. But there's no indication that they've addressed the (separate) issues that plague their North American CDMA devices. If they have, it should be reflected in the GB leaks/updates for existing devices as well.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 26, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

dphi posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how people can automatically discount the SGS2 and say the EVO3D is a solid phone when this thread is full of people who are having hardware issues with their 3D, including a few who are on their 3rd (!) phone already. I mean, I get that people are still sore over their issues with the Epic, but is HTC really that much more impressive than Samsung at this point?

Yes they are and until Samsung shows different in North America so be it. Trust me I am hoping Samsung gets their stuff together because their phones looks nice (I love the look of the SGSII). HTC is not the greatest company in the world either (I think I had to replace HTC products 5 or so times in the last 3 or 4 years). Already my wife's EVO 3D hosed up and is going to have to replaced. So make that 6.

Still I am not buying the SGSII or the EVO 3D or Photon with the new Nexus coming out by the end of year. I always wanted a Nexus, and it is about time I got one (too bad the Nexus S 4G was built on last's year tech).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 26, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sharkytm posted:

gently caress, I wasn't aware that the Photon had the same size screen. I want the same as my Evo. As for photo quality, I'll have to check it out in person. I use my camera a LOT, I use it for work constantly, thanks to geo-tagging of photos.

I guess I'll check out the 3D.

And I love sense. Call me crazy.

As a former sense hater, sense 3 rules hard.

dphi posted:

Because that happens all the time with new phones.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

As a former sense hater, sense 3 rules hard.
From what I've seen of my brother's 3D, it's much more attractive than Sense 2 on the Evo 4G. What's new in the feature set? My biggest complaint about Sense 2 would be the contact integration between Gmail/Facebook/chat clients.

What's the best Sense 3.x ROM for the 4G? My fiance has been complaining about AOSP/CM7 being too plain and saying, "it's missing...things." She and I both really liked MIUI, but battery and stability really dropped off after I installed the newest Sprint radio update. Is this a known issue?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

dphi posted:

In the last 5 pages of the thread, hardware issues with the 3D total: one loose charging port. I would have to disagree that the thread is packed full of 3D hardware issues.

I can give you 4 reasons the SGSII is being written off: the Epic, Moment, Transform, and Intercept.

EDIT:

big mean giraffe posted:

I was talking about those two. Just wondering what they did.

I was hoping someone on XDA would post something but I haven't seen anything yet.

EDIT2:
http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/08/htc-evo-3d-receives-two-application-updates-ota.html

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 26, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I bought a Samsung Infuse 4G (GSM) a few days ago and have no other experience with Samsung Android smartphones other than what I hear on forums.

You couldn't convince me to buy a brand new Samsung phone with my own money. No way no how.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
I installed the 3D updates, they're just app no reboot. There is a (terrible) thread on XDA where people mentioned 4G speeds increasing.

It's no joke, I ran two tests before and two after.
3.4 down, 0.24 up
2.54 down, 0.3 up

After:
8.31 down, 1.34 up
9.38 down, 1.66 up

This is with 1 bar on 4G in a building. My phone wasn't moved on my desk during this time.

For the unfamiliar, every update always gets the "it's faster" responses on XDA, so I never trust their reaction.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Blakkout posted:

I will eat my hat and 10 other hats if that ever happened.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

I installed the 3D updates, they're just app no reboot

Yeah I installed them too, I knew they were just app updates so they couldn't hurt anything really. Just wondering if anyone had an actual idea what they were for.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

900ftjesus posted:

In the last 5 pages of the thread, hardware issues with the 3D total: one loose charging port. I would have to disagree that the thread is packed full of 3D hardware issues.

So go back further (and don't ignore the person on this very page who is having to replace their wife's 3D already)? It's not like I'm making this up. I've been following this thread for a while, paying attention to the 3D posts especially since that was going to be my next phone once I got my upgrade earlier this month. All the issues I've seen people having have kind of put me off for now. I know the majority of the people here have not had issues and love their phone, so I still might end up with one if the SGS2 ends up being worse - but I'm going to stick with judging phones once they're released and not based on phones that company has released in the past (which is why the shittiness of the Hero isn't making me disregard HTC phones in general.)

dphi fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 26, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dphi posted:

I know the majority of the people here have not had issues and love their phone,
So if you get a lemon, swap it out. Inconvenient, sure, but as you said, most folks don't have issues.

dphi posted:

so I still might end up with one if the SGS2 ends up being worse - but I'm going to stick with judging phones once they're released and not based on phones that company has released in the past
Two other things to note:

First, the Epic was released to glowing reviews. Some even claimed it was the best smartphone Sprint carried to date, better than the Evo. Sprint even priced it such, at $250 post subsidy and mail-in rebate. Some folks did note issues with the GPS initially, but even that was brushed off with a "it'll be addressed in a soon-to-come update."

There were two big issues with the Epic, that wasn't apparent at the beginning (aside from Moment owners yelling "it's a trap!"). First, the first, aborted Froyo update didn't come until late Febraury, five months after the device launch, seven after Froyo itself was released. Second, while the update improved some aspects of the device, it made some of it's functionality worse.

Now here we are, with the device EOL this fall, still waiting on GB (released eight months ago), known to be in the works (due to leaks) for at least three months, and as best we can tell, poo poo is still very broken. And the poo poo that's broken isn't the type of stuff that should've broke during an Android framework upgrade.

So, in short, be wary of glowing reviews on the SGSII because they may fail to even hint at the kinds of problems the device could easily experience, based on Samsung's present-to-this-day track record.

Also, keep in mind that Samsung has to date, released one universally praised Android phone, with every other being a brick that folks want to throw against the wall in frustration.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Great points and I agree. Still like you I hope Samsung proves us wrong. Especially since they are making the new Nexus.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can any Sprint employees tell me the likelihood of Sprint revoking an erroneous credit on my account?

They credited me the $125 port credit on Aug 11 and again on Aug 14, so my bill (due 9/7) is a negative bill.

It's been almost 2 weeks, how likely are they to catch it and remove the extra?

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Absolutely not. You can find them for $100-125 used, but you're much better off with a used Evo. It runs OK on the latest official, Froyo, release. There's still no word on an official GB release, but there's been a steady stream of leaks for a few months now, and all of them are rather buggy and reboot multiple times a day. I'd be amazed if an official GB release actually happens with these bugs fixed.

Also, forget ICS. CyanogenMod support is marginally existent, I'd expect CM8 not to happen. It might be a better choice than an Evo Shift if you need a hardware keyboard, only becuase the GB update on the Shift is pretty awful too.

I personally wouldn't mind having a keyboard, which is why I was slightly leaning towards the Epic (I have big-rear end hands and Swype likes being bitchy). Anything I should be worrying about when it comes to Evo/Evo Shift/Evo 3d in terms of major non-apparent differences?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Preemptive "sprint is completely down and I can't call or text anyone because of the hurricane" post

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do
Anyone ever had any touchscreen issues with the evo? I see by googling its a common issue but I cannot find a fix to it.

so first of all, anyone found something that might have fixed a spazzy/unresponsive touchscreen on the evo?

second, if not, will they swap it out if the phone is less than a year old (for the 35 dollar fee or whatever?)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CheerGrrl92 posted:

Anyone ever had any touchscreen issues with the evo? I see by googling its a common issue but I cannot find a fix to it.

so first of all, anyone found something that might have fixed a spazzy/unresponsive touchscreen on the evo?

second, if not, will they swap it out if the phone is less than a year old (for the 35 dollar fee or whatever?)

I never had touchscreen issues with my evo, although I am sure some people have. Anything under warranty can be exchanged for $35.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

I never had touchscreen issues with my evo, although I am sure some people have. Anything under warranty can be exchanged for $35.

The only time I ever have touchscreen issues on my Evo 4G is when it's plugged in. And I think that's more an issue with CM7 than anything else.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have an issue with the unlock screen on my 3d on occasion. It's annoying as hell but goes away if I hit the power button a couple of times to get back to the lock screen.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Duckman2008 posted:

...if it's under warranty, and it's a manufacturing defect..why is there a $35 fee? Shouldn't it be replaced FOR FREE under warranty?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

...if it's under warranty, and it's a manufacturing defect..why is there a $35 fee? Shouldn't it be replaced FOR FREE under warranty?

With insurance absolutely. Otherwise, yes warranty is always replaced for free from the manufacturer (HTC) . The key is going to sprint is not technically that, its sprint. So taking it into a sprint tech center has a fee with it a result.

Sometimes you can fuss and vet sprint fix the fee, but whatever. Its a convenience thing is what sprint sees it as.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

With insurance absolutely. Otherwise, yes warranty is always replaced for free from the manufacturer (HTC) . The key is going to sprint is not technically that, its sprint. So taking it into a sprint tech center has a fee with it a result.

Sometimes you can fuss and vet sprint fix the fee, but whatever. Its a convenience thing is what sprint sees it as.

Well, that's silly. I'd pitch a loving fit if they tried to charge me $35 for something under warranty. How is that different than returning a TV to Best Buy to be replaced when it's defective? Best Buy doesn't charge me anything...

Furthermore, I already pay $8 per month for insurance (which I've questioned for a long time whether or not it's worth it)...if Sprint is already making $8 per month off of me to cover issues with my phone, why is there a $35 fee on top of that?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Pretty sure you were just told that it's free with insurance.

And you got the warranty when you bought the phone, I guess if you don't like the terms you shouldn't have bought it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

Well, that's silly. I'd pitch a loving fit if they tried to charge me $35 for something under warranty. How is that different than returning a TV to Best Buy to be replaced when it's defective? Best Buy doesn't charge me anything...

Furthermore, I already pay $8 per month for insurance (which I've questioned for a long time whether or not it's worth it)...if Sprint is already making $8 per month off of me to cover issues with my phone, why is there a $35 fee on top of that?

If you pay for insurance there are no fees, sorry if I misread what you said. The $35 fee is only for customers with no insurance.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

If you pay for insurance there are no fees, sorry if I misread what you said. The $35 fee is only for customers with no insurance.

Nope. Somehow I completely missed the first part of your post that said "with insurance, absolutely." *shrug* it's late and I've been drinking. Sorry.

Still, I guess I am left slightly confused about why I pay for the insurance then. Does it cover "accidental" damages/water damage, etc.? Since I'm a Premier Gold customer, I get an upgrade every year...so it'd be cheaper for me just to pay the $35 fee if something happens instead of $8 per month...

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I've gone through over 10 phones with no charges thanks to insurance. I've dropped a phone on a concrete floor and the screen stopped working, free new phone. Fell out of a moving car and just wouldn't turn on, free new phone. Dropped a textbook on it and it stopped sliding open, free new phone. If your someone who just doesn't treat your phones nicely its totally worth it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

Nope. Somehow I completely missed the first part of your post that said "with insurance, absolutely." *shrug* it's late and I've been drinking. Sorry.

Still, I guess I am left slightly confused about why I pay for the insurance then. Does it cover "accidental" damages/water damage, etc.? Since I'm a Premier Gold customer, I get an upgrade every year...so it'd be cheaper for me just to pay the $35 fee if something happens instead of $8 per month...

Insurance covers stuff warranty doesnt, such as lost and physical damage. Honestly, its not cheap or for everyone, I have it because it makes life convenient if something happens.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ozmodiar posted:

Have fun returning that tv to best buy for a free replacement after the 30 day return window.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Have fun returning that tv to best buy for a free replacement after the 30 day return window.

If he bought Geek Squad protection Best Buy wouldn't charge anything.

However, Best Buy Geek Squad Protection is also a rip off in pretty much every case, so here is hoping he didn't do that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I never expected Sprint or another carrier to honor a manufacturer warranty, same with a big box retailer. If my phone fucks-up in the first year, I expect to have to ship it to the manufacturer and be without it for a few days. Paying Sprint $35 to fix/exchange it on the spot is a convenience, and one I might take them up (without complaint) on depending on the circumstance.

Same thing with TVs and Best Buy, which is why I buy TVs at Costco.

Anyways, I know we've been over the insurance crap before, but is this an accurate summary?

Equipment Service & Repair Program (ESRP): $4/mo; covers "wear & tear" and device/component failures, whether in warranty or out. No charger per repair incident with plan, $35 per incident without.

Equipment Replacement Program (ERP): $4/mo; covers lost/stolen devices, and liquid or physical (board) damage. $100 deductable ($50 dumbphones?) on each claim.

Total Equipment Protection (TEP): ESRP + ERP = $8/mo.

That all correct? So, without enrolling in any insurance, can I have out-of-warranty repairs still performed for $35 per-incident? It sounds like I could.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I never expected Sprint or another carrier to honor a manufacturer warranty, same with a big box retailer. If my phone fucks-up in the first year, I expect to have to ship it to the manufacturer and be without it for a few days. Paying Sprint $35 to fix/exchange it on the spot is a convenience, and one I might take them up (without complaint) on depending on the circumstance.

Anyways, I know we've been over the insurance crap before, but is this an accurate summary?

Equipment Service & Repair Program (ESRP): $4/mo; covers "wear & tear" and device/component failures, whether in warranty or out. No charger per repair incident with plan, $35 per incident without.

Equipment Replacement Program (ERP): $4/mo; covers lost/stolen devices, and liquid or physical (board) damage. $100 deductable ($50 dumbphones?) on each claim.

That all correct? So, without enrolling in any insurance, can I have out-of-warranty repairs still performed for $35 per-incident? It sounds like I could.

Another option is Squaretrade warranties, which are less convenient that immediate in-store replacement but also cheaper.

You can also get a good credit card (assuming you have good credit) that has automatic extended warranties. Two examples of this option.

This way your credit card should pay the $35 repair fee for you for the second year you own your phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Equipment Service & Repair Program (ESRP): $4/mo; covers "wear & tear" and device/component failures, whether in warranty or out. No charger per repair incident with plan, $35 per incident without. $50/100 deductible if the device suffers "heavy damage"

Equipment Replacement Program (ERP): $4/mo; covers lost/stolen devices $100 deductable ($50 dumbphones) on each claim.

No insurance: Warranty repairs are $35, SOL on anything with physical damage, if stores are nice they may elect to do a repair at $35, but I wouldn't expect it.

Fixed for you. I could be wrong, but ERP is only lost/stolen, no physical damage nor liquid damage. Honestly, if you are gonna get insurance with Sprint, get TEP for $8 a month and be done with it, otherwise the Karma Gods will make sure that whatever happens to your phone is the poo poo that isn't covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Think of it this way:
ERP--covers poo poo that's your fault. Loss/theft, water, and physical damage for $5 per month with a $100 deductible. This is insurance underwritten by Assurion, not a warranty.
ESRP--covers poo poo that isn't your fault. This is an extended warranty that waives the $35 fee and lets you makes claims against defects directly through Sprint rather than the manufacturer.

By their powers combined, you have TEP for $8. That's right; an entire $1 discount!

I don't usually drop or lose my phone, but because it's a Moment, I go to the repair store way more often than every 9 months (and will continue to do so until they relent and give me something other than a Moment. gently caress if they think I'm going to buy another phone and pay another $10 a month). $4 for ESRP has gotten me, I dunno, 5-6 replacements.

My fiance is a klutz, but her Evo works flawlessly. No need for ESRP, as we only took it in once and they didn't even verify the coverage on the line. "Umm yeah, I have the insurance." $5 insurance for peace of mind.