Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Read posted:

I can't find the source at the moment but I am certain it is NOT a new mode, a lot of people made this mistake based on a previously talked about "Adventure Mode" Notch intended to add. This update has nothing to do with that as far as I can tell.

Purported Adventure Mode features were things like removing the ability to break blocks and adding spawnable mobs, to facilitate adventure map creation.

Yeah, this. XP, magic, and NPCs and such are coming to the game proper, but all Adventure Mode was ever supposed to be was a setting that reinforced the rules of user created adventure maps.
Doesn't sound like we're getting it with 1.8 though.

FirePhoenix posted:

I'm hoping the NPCs turn out to be normal Pigmen just because it would add to the strange, isolated feel, since they aren't like you.

Agreed. A year ago he was talking about goblin villages, so I hope it's them or Pigmen. A stranger in a strange world is sort of Minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

wyoming posted:

Yeah, this. XP, magic, and NPCs and such are coming to the game proper, but all Adventure Mode was ever supposed to be was a setting that reinforced the rules of user created adventure maps.
Doesn't sound like we're getting it with 1.8 though.

Adventure update ≠ Adventure mode. It's confusing and all, but yeah.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

After watching a recording of the live stream... gently caress me if I'm not actually excited for the hunger meter.

I like stuff like that in New Vegas and a more serious role playing experience... but Minecraft I though was too much of a game for it to work. But its game play effects actually sound pretty neat!

I don't know if we knew this before, but apparently if your hunger meter is full-ish, you'll regenerate health. In other words you still heal with food, but in a much different and more fun way that sounds pretty neat to me.

There's also the fact that it's the limiting factor on your sprinting- when sprinting the hunger meter goes down faster, which seems like a good way of balancing sprinting and making the food meter more interesting.

Besides that, the new terrain is incredible. I love that it's not just a mishmash of stuff anymore, but seriously different biomes. Imagine how different it would be to play in one of those vast oceans, building up a network of tiny islands. And honestly mountains are a lot more impressive when there's more contrast between them and the surrounding area- so huge mountain biomes jutting up out of a truly vast plain or desert are really cool.

With regards to NPC villages- it's interesting that Notch thinks you shouldn't be able to speak to the inhabitants and Jeb thinks you should.. because Jeb is almost always right it seems, but not this time. I like villages, but I also love the lonely atmosphere of Minecraft. Incomprehensible villagers, going about their social lives in a way you can't really join, are a great concept for Minecraft.

And once the game gets weak as a game again, Creative mode looks like exactly how I want to play once I'm sick of gathering resources. It's basically an integrated toomanyitems with the ability to fly and instantly destroy any blocks. Building beautiful towns will now basically only be as much effort as it takes to imagine them, which is awesome.

Super excited for 1.8 now.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 27, 2011

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Promotion :jerkbag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOKR-V3tBpY

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to poo poo on Mojang's hard work. Minecraft is a brilliant game with a lot of blood, sweat and tears poured in to it.

That said,

The 1.8 update seems rather lackluster. Granted: they have probably rewritten enormous chunks of code in terms of terrain generation and the entire lighting model looks impressively difference. These were much needed changes that had to be made for the final product.

I feel like the 1.8 update, in terms of new features, is pretty minor. I was expecting actual NPCs to populate the villages, a new (or completely overhauled) farming and food system, a complete overhaul of the combat system, and perhaps some new fantasy element (magic? potions? crafting enhanced weapons?).

Perhaps I misread (or read too much) in to this update, but my understanding was that 1.8 was going to be the "feature complete" version, with a few tweaks and additions between now and release in November. Apparently NPCs weren't ready and were pulled from the 1.8 update. That's disappointing, because Notch had said that they had a lot more breathing room on this update to get everything ready.

A quick rehash of the new features:

Combat - New dash feature, new charged bow system. Beyond this, it still looks and feels as clumsy as 1.0. SNES games like Legend of Zelda, a Link to the Past have vastly improved combat systems compared to Minecraft. This is supposed to be a nearly finished product. No additional weapons were announced, no ability to craft special features/characteristics in to the weapon beyond basic materials.

Food - Melons, Pumpkins, and perhaps onions(?) added. Growing wheat still seems like the primary farming method, which has always felt pretty broken to me and never really hashed out much.

NPC Villages - yes, pre-generated villages, but strange ghost towns seem worthless without NPCs to populate them. I guess that they're a core part of the new terrain generation, but this still seems incredibly unpolished.

These are all really neat new features, and do add a lot to the game.... but they feel really unpolished. This is supposed to be the last big marketing push before MineCon in November with the official commercial release. Building stuff is fun, but combat still feels broken and most of the features they added feel very empty and not completely thought out. People are willing to accept these oversights because a) they're in "indie" developer and b) "this is barely beta. stop complaining about an unfinished game. you paid for access to the unfinished version".

to a), They have something like $25 million in the bank, which puts them on par with small to medium sized developers. I doubt the company Valve hired to work on CS:GO (Hidden Path Entertainment) is a $25 million company. Not only are they producing two games (plus console and mobile spin-offs), but they've started publishing games as well. Notch might claim he's an indie developer, but they're rapidly becoming part of the establishment (although of a more friendly sort)

to b) 1.8 is nearly feature complete. Most people I know bought in somewhere around 1.3 when new features were being added monthly or even weekly. Since 1.5, updates have slowed dramatically, and of the great ideas Notch has floated as "future official features", very few of them have made it in to the game. Pistons barely made it in simply to placate the user base, it would appear.

I'm not sure if Mojang has much interest in developing more features in Minecraft at this point. From the total lack of new features, it seems that Notch is spending more time and interest in meetings and developing the company than finishing Minecraft as a complete product that most people thought they were buying in to when they purchased the game.

Hopefully the good chunk of code they spent re-writing over the last 2-3 months means that new features and gameplay elements will be easier to implement in to the game before and after the official release. If this is the feature-complete version of minecraft for SMP, count me as disappointed.

On a side-note, I'm a little concerned about the size and shapes of the continents. While bigger, deeper oceans are really exciting, this seems to really break the spirit of large SMP servers who have traditionally had large, semi-connected landmasses. I don't know about other people, but I find the SMP servers to be the core experience of Minecraft. I think oceans are the right way to go, but from the 20-30 min of video I've seen so far, rail or nether links between the continents will be difficult and the fairly small islands (build spaces/user territories tend to be 150x150 blocks in the flat areas) don't seem conductive to large communities building in easily navigable areas. As someone pointed out on the server I play on, "I like walking in one direction and stumbling upon new build areas other people are working on". It's nice to look out and not see anything on the horizon, but perhaps the continents are too small/skinny, and too broadly spaced apart? I watched Notch fly in one direction for about 2 minutes (faster than rail speed, that's about 1km or 1000 blocks) and didn't see him fly near a large continent the entire time. Only one to two small islands, perhaps 30x70 blocks in size.

:goonsay:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

NPC Villages - yes, pre-generated villages, but strange ghost towns seem worthless without NPCs to populate them. I guess that they're a core part of the new terrain generation, but this still seems incredibly unpolished.
Umm... you realize we just saw a stream of what was done of 1.8 so far. Like, that's not the update.

1.8 will have NPCs in the villages.

quote:

I'm not sure if Mojang has much interest in developing more features in Minecraft at this point. From the total lack of new features, it seems that Notch is spending more time and interest in meetings and developing the company than finishing Minecraft as a complete product that most people thought they were buying in to when they purchased the game.
... Really?

You know what, never mind. It's not worth it.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

On a side-note, I'm a little concerned about the size and shapes of the continents. While bigger, deeper oceans are really exciting, this seems to really break the spirit of large SMP servers who have traditionally had large, semi-connected landmasses. I don't know about other people, but I find the SMP servers to be the core experience of Minecraft. I think oceans are the right way to go, but from the 20-30 min of video I've seen so far, rail or nether links between the continents will be difficult and the fairly small islands (build spaces/user territories tend to be 150x150 blocks in the flat areas) don't seem conductive to large communities building in easily navigable areas. As someone pointed out on the server I play on, "I like walking in one direction and stumbling upon new build areas other people are working on". It's nice to look out and not see anything on the horizon, but perhaps the continents are too small/skinny, and too broadly spaced apart? I watched Notch fly in one direction for about 2 minutes (faster than rail speed, that's about 1km or 1000 blocks) and didn't see him fly near a large continent the entire time. Only one to two small islands, perhaps 30x70 blocks in size.

I dunno. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the idea of large oceans to separate people. It gives a bit more of an explorer-feel to it, where you have to make a concerted effort (and a risk) to getting into a boat and travelling a great distance to a most likely uninhabited land. Or the sight of looking for uncharted land and seeing someone's massive gently caress-off castle on the shore. Granted, I think it'll be a slow burn for people to get off the main landmass and cross the waters but once it gets going I think there's a lot of potential for growth.

I liked Wind Waker, and didn't mind spending forever in a boat, and I think this helps add to that feel.

edit - Motorboats would be an awesome addition.

Rack fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 27, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rack posted:

I dunno. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the idea of large oceans to separate people. It gives a bit more of an explorer-feel to it, where you have to make a concerted effort (and a risk) to getting into a boat and travelling a great distance to a most likely uninhabited land. Or the sight of looking for uncharted land and seeing someone's massive gently caress-off castle on the shore. Granted, I think it'll be a slow burn for people to get off the main landmass and cross the waters but once it gets going I think there's a lot of potential for growth.

I liked Wind Waker, and didn't mind spending forever in a boat, and I think this helps add to that feel.

1.8.3 bugfixes: boats no longer explode when clicked on.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rack posted:

I agree with you on this point. It would be neat to have various themed islands/continents, and I don't doubt that many, many servers will have some sort of system designed around this idea.

My main issue here is that "traditionally" there has been some sort of minecart transportation system that would take you to the various parts of the map, usually over land. In a continent based scenario, boats seem to work a lot better. Without some sort of organized nautical navigation system, I feel like you're going to have a bunch of signs that says something like, "Hadlock's Island: 600 blocks west, then 200 blocks south" and "Rack's Island: 1200 Blocks north, 450 blocks east". That's a lot of distance to cover, and I'm not sure you can really trust the average player to do that kind of navigation on their own. Having continents/islands spread out 600+ blocks apart means either hugely increased travel times on SMP servers, or there will need to be some dramatic improvements to fast travel in the Nether that Notch hasn't touched upon yet.

Eiba posted:

Umm... you realize we just saw a stream of what was done of 1.8 so far. Like, that's not the update.

1.8 will have NPCs in the villages.

Notch has already said that 1.8 is ready to go, they've just been waiting on PAX for it's release, and will make some balance changes after, unless you've heard otherwise?

Eiba posted:

... Really?

You know what, never mind. It's not worth it.

Please! Elaborate :) I've heard (and read) both sides of the "you're playing the pre-release version" and "Mojang adds plenty of features each point update" arguments, but at this point it's beginning to sound a bit hollow with 80 days until release. If Notch is trying to sell us on the Adventure mode (as opposed to the adventure update), he hasn't done a very good job of convincing me thus far that significant improvements will be made post-November.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I'm just glad that these bigger oceans might indicate the presence of more sea monsters v:shobon:v

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

penis bandana posted:

Had to take the job when the cat-herding opportunity fell through.

'Cat-Herder' is the job title I requested on my business cards for my current studio. No joke.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Allen Wren posted:

Wait, the top two need to be on? I thought all four had to be off before the clock starts, hence the top-row torch in the 6-high? (I'm building the 6-high first since that's the size I'd be using anyway, then installing an identical one in the building.)

(I have pretty bad hearing---too many amplifiers---so if you mentioned it in the video and I missed it, my bad.)

It's not my video, but it's the guide I used to build mine. The top two pistons need to be on or not have anything directly in front of them for this to work, based on what was in the video. At a certain height the top two should be on by default. When I made mine originally the top two were off by design and it didn't work, but when I put them on it worked fine. It may be different at six blocks, but I don't understand small scale anything and won't really ever build something that short.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hadlock posted:

My main issue here is that "traditionally" there has been some sort of minecart transportation system that would take you to the various parts of the map, usually over land. In a continent based scenario, boats seem to work a lot better. Without some sort of organized nautical navigation system, I feel like you're going to have a bunch of signs that says something like, "Hadlock's Island: 600 blocks west, then 200 blocks south" and "Rack's Island: 1200 Blocks north, 450 blocks east". That's a lot of distance to cover, and I'm not sure you can really trust the average player to do that kind of navigation on their own. Having continents/islands spread out 600+ blocks apart means either hugely increased travel times on SMP servers, or there will need to be some dramatic improvements to fast travel in the Nether that Notch hasn't touched upon yet.

Neither based mine carts would be pretty fast. I mean, a cart covers 8 blocks a second and full speed, and the neither has a compression of 8, so you'd cover 64 real world blocks with every second in a neither cart. 10 seconds would cross one of those oceans.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

The 1.8 update seems rather lackluster. Granted: they have probably rewritten enormous chunks of code in terms of terrain generation and the entire lighting model looks impressively difference. These were much needed changes that had to be made for the final product.

These are all really neat new features, and do add a lot to the game.... but they feel really unpolished. This is supposed to be the last big marketing push before MineCon in November with the official commercial release. Building stuff is fun, but combat still feels broken and most of the features they added feel very empty and not completely thought out. People are willing to accept these oversights because a) they're in "indie" developer and b) "this is barely beta. stop complaining about an unfinished game. you paid for access to the unfinished version".

For what it's worth, I'm pretty much right with ya. For me it's not so much that the new stuff feels "unpolished" as..."unnecessary". I think it's just too much of a shift from the gameplay style we started with, and something like hunger doesn't add to it at all. Admittedly, I only play single player, and I spend more time exploring caves than building huge intricate things (hell, I still haven't made a minetrack yet), so maybe this just isn't the update for me.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hadlock posted:

Notch has already said that 1.8 is ready to go, they've just been waiting on PAX for it's release, and will make some balance changes after, unless you've heard otherwise?

Notch has never said this, and during that stream he says they're not even previewing the latest build. There isn't even a set release date for it.

Here, this has everything they've mentioned they're adding:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I think now that large oceans are being implemented, what Mojang needs to do is to include that incredible airship-mod into the game. It could also be altered so that you could make ships.

"Welcome to our server! Our main city is on a different continent"

"How do we get there?"

"Oh just step into our fully-loving-functional aircraft carrier"

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mulefisk posted:

I think now that large oceans are being implemented, what Mojang needs to do is to include that incredible airship-mod into the game. It could also be altered so that you could make ships.

"Welcome to our server! Our main city is on a different continent"

"How do we get there?"

"Oh just step into our fully-loving-functional aircraft carrier"

Have a rail track through the nether on our server, which works a lot like that. "come see the city, we'll just take this shortcut through hell!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Just posting something I made on the SMP server I play on.

Assuming 1 block = 1 yard, it is to scale. I then gave it flavor with my two favorite football teams.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Master Twig posted:

Just posting something I made on the SMP server I play on.

Assuming 1 block = 1 yard, it is to scale. I then gave it flavor with my two favorite football teams.

That is awesome. I would have never thought to see something branded with Vikings in a non-sports videogame.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

bengraven posted:

That is awesome. I would have never thought to see something branded with Vikings in a non-sports videogame.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Hadlock posted:

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to poo poo on Mojang's hard work.

Thats where I stopped reading.

Let me preface my reply by saying that I'm not trying to say you're a whiny manbaby. Minecraft has cost you and me and most everybody else about 10 bucks, and if you've played it as long as your long-rear end post indicates, that is extremely good value for your money. I know publishing your self-entitled bitching is yet another way for you to gain enjoyment from the game but can't you type that poo poo into notepad or something? geez!

Dawts
Oct 3, 2009

bengraven posted:

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I must admit that I'm most excited about the return of a true creative mode. Minecraft started out as only being creative, and that's when I started playing it.

I've missed that creative mode, and I feel like a lot of people who play minecraft now don't really understand that Creative Mode used to be a thing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Problem Sleuth posted:

I must admit that I'm most excited about the return of a true creative mode. Minecraft started out as only being creative, and that's when I started playing it.

I've missed that creative mode, and I feel like a lot of people who play minecraft now don't really understand that Creative Mode used to be a thing.

There's quite a bit of fun and challenge in having to go deep into a mine to obtain materials for your structures. Maybe there should be a slider letting you choose how sparse materials should be when generating a world? One end is Creative, the other a bit less than what is available now in Survival.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vorgen posted:

Thats where I stopped reading.

Let me preface my reply by saying that I'm not trying to say you're a whiny manbaby. Minecraft has cost you and me and most everybody else about 10 bucks, and if you've played it as long as your long-rear end post indicates, that is extremely good value for your money. I know publishing your self-entitled bitching is yet another way for you to gain enjoyment from the game but can't you type that poo poo into notepad or something? geez!

Ugh, people with opinions different than mine! :mad:

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
I'm really excited about the experience bar and leveling system! I think I remember it being said that the experience bar will be present but featureless in 1.8, but I'm still excited for the potential.

I'm hoping skills (Assuming they are implemented with the experience system) will be more along the lines of "Pickaxe Mastery: Your pickaxes degrade 10/20/30/40/50% slower" rather than shooting fireballs and whatnot.

Tirius fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 27, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

There's quite a bit of fun and challenge in having to go deep into a mine to obtain materials for your structures. Maybe there should be a slider letting you choose how sparse materials should be when generating a world? One end is Creative, the other a bit less than what is available now in Survival.

Yeah. I mean, I like exploring all over and mining out a ton of rock to get materials. I don't like that I have to deal with falling damage and fire damage and oxygen in water if I want to just build but also get the resources myself. Basically I want an official mode that's Peaceful Survival minus any form of player health.

Sure I can mod to have that now, but it'd be nice to have in vanilla.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Please! Elaborate :) I've heard (and read) both sides of the "you're playing the pre-release version" and "Mojang adds plenty of features each point update" arguments, but at this point it's beginning to sound a bit hollow with 80 days until release. If Notch is trying to sell us on the Adventure mode (as opposed to the adventure update), he hasn't done a very good job of convincing me thus far that significant improvements will be made post-November.
This is going to be the most content rich update since Halloween. It's new features will probably change the game more than any other single update has.

And now you feel that 'Notch doesn't care any more'?

The word "entitled" is thrown around a lot in these kinds of conversations, but I really think it would be worthwhile to examine how justified your expectations are. I mean looking at your complaints... you were expecting new/customizable weapons? That might be a nice feature, but it's just some obscure thing that you specifically want. To be upset or disappointed that Notch hasn't added it is basically exactly what people mean when they say "entitled".

It sounds like your disappointment isn't really with what's going on, but rather it's entirely derived from the fact that what's going on is different than what you expect to be going on for a "nearly finished product." You've got expectations that don't mesh with reality. Honestly, you are the source of your own dissatisfaction.

Notch has his issues. He's made a lot of silly decisions, and the game has been developed inconsistently over time. But honestly, now, with 1.8, when he's pretty much doing everything right, now you chose to start complaining?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Dawts posted:

I worked on that. :allears:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This impending 1.8 update has brought out some really weird unrealistic expectations in people. I've had people complain that this update isn't adding airplanes, isn't adding magic, and now that it's not adding customizable weapons. Notch never promised ANY of these things, the closet being when he said if he ever did add magic it would be like alchemy if anything. Yet people are acting like Notch stabbed them in the leg while breaking a life vow or something. Notch is finally adding a ton of poo poo but people are angry that he isn't adding their little pet ideas he's never even talked about? :psyduck:

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 27, 2011

Dawts
Oct 3, 2009
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

This game was finished months ago. All the content, and patches, and updates are all just icing on the cake.

crossektion
Jun 8, 2011

by T. Fine

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This impending 1.8 update has brought out some really weird unrealistic expectations in people. I've had people complain that this update isn't adding airplanes, isn't adding magic, and now that it's not adding customizable weapons. Notch never promised ANY of these things, the closet being when he said if he ever did add magic it would be like alchemy if anything. Yet people are acting like Notch stabbed them in the leg while breaking a life vow or something. Notch is finally adding a ton of poo poo but people are angry that he isn't adding their little pet ideas he's never even talked about? :psyduck:

Well the idea was it was going to be a significant update, but it's really not. It took a long time to produce, and yet a bunch of stuff like NPCs are missing.

Why defend Notch? You don't owe him anything, if anything he owes you since you bought into the beta with the expectation of a finished game one day.

At this rate that just isn't going to happen. I like minecraft, but I probably won't ever buy anything Mojang produces from here on out, since the chances of getting a finished product are a bit of a gong show.

And the people saying "the game was done a long time ago, be happy you get all this stuff", piss off. Notch had a list of poo poo he wanted to put in the game, and he labelled the current state of it "beta" for a reason. Stop kissing rear end.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

crossektion posted:

Well the idea was it was going to be a significant update, but it's really not. It took a long time to produce, and yet a bunch of stuff like NPCs are missing.

Why defend Notch? You don't owe him anything, if anything he owes you since you bought into the beta with the expectation of a finished game one day.

At this rate that just isn't going to happen. I like minecraft, but I probably won't ever buy anything Mojang produces from here on out, since the chances of getting a finished product are a bit of a gong show.

And the people saying "the game was done a long time ago, be happy you get all this stuff", piss off. Notch had a list of poo poo he wanted to put in the game, and he labelled the current state of it "beta" for a reason. Stop kissing rear end.

quote:

Please note that when you buy the game, you're paying for the game as it is right now!

You read this before you bought it, yes? Did you understand it when you read it? Notch owes no one anything but the game as it is when they pay money to purchase it.

The general consensus, even years ago when infinite worlds weren't even a thing, was that this game was worth the price. Now, with all the things added, including the modding community that has emerged, I feel like this is the best value game I've bought.

Amaritudo
Jul 5, 2003

The Bitter Timelord

bango skank posted:

Ugh, people with opinions different than mine! :mad:
Ugh, people who don't get that the caveat of having opinions is the risk of yours getting poo poo on! :mad:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Why are people posting huge rear end posts about a patch to a cheap little game about cake blocks and jumping skeletons. The gently caress is wrong with ya'll.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

crossektion posted:

You have a pretty terrible world view if you think the only reason to defend someone is because you're indebted to them. How about just being a decent person and taking offense to people making GBS threads all over some guy trying to make his video game.

Whatever a "finished game" is, is up to Notch. It isn't your game and so while you can be critical of it you can't really decide whether or not it's feature complete.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cygni posted:

Why are people posting huge rear end posts about a patch to a cheap little game about cake blocks and jumping skeletons. The gently caress is wrong with ya'll.

Minecraft community, worst community. Pee pee, doo doo, it is a good game.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Jesus christ everyone chill out about a video game with a one-time fee of $10-20, depending on when you bought it. poo poo.

With that said - there are still a lot of things that Minecraft could use improvement on, like combat, item variety, and some features that feel a little underdeveloped, like farming. I mean I don't necessarily agree with Notch's decisions regarding what gets implemented or fixed first, but it's really dumb to complain when you spent a really small sum of money for the game and you're getting all these updates for free.

And I get that people bought the game under the impression that it would be polished and finished one day, but in the end all you paid for was the game in the state it was in when you purchased it.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Has there even been any official word about the NPCs? I am assuming the 1.8 patch date is probably pushed back a bit because of the NPCs, but I see no reason why they won't make it into 1.8, and I especially see no reason why it won't be in the game at some point... Some people seem to be assuming because this demo didn't have them, that we will never see them and they are permanently out. I see no reason to think that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I've been trying to build this minecart storage system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9osaA68xMts&feature=player_embedded and it just won't work!
The piston pushes the cart onto powered rail, but then the cart doesn't move.

edit. Got it to work. I was testing it with only one cart... turns out it will work if you stack the carts

zalmoxes fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 27, 2011