Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

natsea posted:

Doesn't work either.

Do you get a process in activity monitor? Also did you download the special Leopard build here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

natsea
May 31, 2005

Disgustipated posted:

Do you get a process in activity monitor? Also did you download the special Leopard build here?

That did the trick, thanks.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Is newzbin really not worth paying for? The other places I've gone, like NZB.su and NZBsRUs just look like poo poo and seem pretty poorly run. I never got that impression from Newzbin, so if Newzbin does the same exact stuff and doesn't suck, I'd rather pay for it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ohgodwhat posted:

Is newzbin really not worth paying for? The other places I've gone, like NZB.su and NZBsRUs just look like poo poo and seem pretty poorly run. I never got that impression from Newzbin, so if Newzbin does the same exact stuff and doesn't suck, I'd rather pay for it.

Why don't you just try them out and see what you think?

Personally, I don't like the UI of newzbin and find that it offers nothing worth paying for.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ohgodwhat posted:

nzb.su isn't poorly run at all, infact it's the same code that runs nzbs.org, just with a not as nice theme.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Newzbin sucks. I've got Sickbeard and CouchPotato setup with all the NZB indexing sites and it never resorts to using Newzbin. Oddly enough, the free (or single-time membership) sites always seem to have better NZB's and faster than Newzbin... So yeah, while you might not like the interface, if you're using and interface you're doing it wrong.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ohgodwhat posted:

NZBMatrix is pretty cool, it's what I use.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I use a combo of nzbs.org, NZB Matrix, and NZB.su. They all have slightly different results. I usually rotate through them in that order when looking for stuff. The fact there are so many is great, the fall of Newzbin was rather healthy for Usenet as a whole I think. Everyone else got traffic and they all got a little better.

NZB Matrix is worth the :10bux: I think. NZB.su is worth checking out too, they index a few things none of the other ones do, and organize things better for some stuff also.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
As someone who has used newzbin before and after their hijinks, it's not worth the money. I find NZBMatrix is my go to site, followed by nzbs.org. NZBMatrix is defiantly worth the one time fee in my opinion.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

ohgodwhat posted:

Newzbin2 is not worth paying for... they used to be good before they were taken down and had to reform. Now the only one worth paying for is NZBmatrix in my opinion.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Dodoman posted:

Newzbin2 is not worth paying for... they used to be good before they were taken down and had to reform. Now the only one worth paying for is NZBmatrix in my opinion.
Just remember that with NZBMatrix what you're paying for largely consists of second-hand nzbs from Newzbin.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, but it's a one time purchase. I did it just to get stuff older than 20 days. And since it's user run there are always comments.

clavicle
Jan 19, 2006

Besides nzb.su, what are some other good free index sites that work with sickbeard, besides the ones it comes with? I signed up for all of these and nzb.su, but sometimes I still get files that are stuck in "snatched" state, although maybe it has something to do with my priority order, since nzb.su has strict limits.

I've been considering paying for nzbmatrix, but I'd like to try to stick to the free ones for a while to decide if it's worth it.

clavicle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 25, 2011

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just pay the one time fee for NZBMatrix. It's completely worth it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dodoman posted:

And since it's user run there are always comments.
Yeah, this is why I like NZBmatrix and NZBsRUs.

clavicle
Jan 19, 2006

Is it common practice to have a block server as a backup? I'm using Supernews and some stuff just failed to download no matter what I tried. From what I found on google, Blocknews is a UsenetNow reseller. Should I be okay with them, or is there someone out there selling per-gig access from a more established feed like Astraweb or Highwinds?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

clavicle posted:

Is it common practice to have a block server as a backup? I'm using Supernews and some stuff just failed to download no matter what I tried. From what I found on google, Blocknews is a UsenetNow reseller. Should I be okay with them, or is there someone out there selling per-gig access from a more established feed like Astraweb or Highwinds?

It's fairly common for some folks to have a small amount of backup block storage. I bought 25 gigs and have yet to use any of it. I'm still using highwinds/easynews since I still have over 300GB in my 'gigbank' with them but the few corrupt things I've ran into blocknews hasn't been able to help with. Had to find a different set of articles which usually isn't hard to do.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I bought a 100gb Block account last year from block news it's come in handy a few times on really old stuff. I think I've used 50gb of it so far. I average about 300gb a month total.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

clavicle posted:

Giganews is pretty quick on DMCA takedowns, which may be your problem. Blocknews is pretty good since they don't seem to be as quick about things. Blocknews should help a lot. I wouldn't go with Highwinds, and astraweb would only be a second choice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been using my own fork of CouchPotato for the past year and I haven't pulled from upstream in like 8 months.

I don't know if this feature has made it in to any of the actual releases yet, but I just pulled the latest source and there's a sweet feature to subscribe to the blu-ray.com RSS feed and auto-add every movie that has an IMDB rating above whatever you specify.

Pretty neato.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Finally got CouchPotato up and running, and it's awesome, but I'm having trouble getting SickBeard to work. I went through a couple FAQs and figured out how to get Cheetah installed, and thought I did all the right things in Terminal, but I can't get the page to load. Any common issues that I might be missing?

edit - just got it working in Safari, but not Chrome. Any idea what would cause that?

ScooterMcTiny fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 27, 2011

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Finally got CouchPotato up and running, and it's awesome, but I'm having trouble getting SickBeard to work. I went through a couple FAQs and figured out how to get Cheetah installed, and thought I did all the right things in Terminal, but I can't get the page to load. Any common issues that I might be missing?

edit - just got it working in Safari, but not Chrome. Any idea what would cause that?

Could be the unsafe ports thing on chrome, add "- -explicitly-allowed-ports=YOURSICKBEARDPORT" to the end of the target on your chrome shortcut.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
This might be a long shot, but are any of you guys in the SoCal area with Time Warner? I know they've got no public bandwidth cap, but I was fiddling around with Sickbeard and using the "custom" quality thing and inadvertently downloaded nearly a terabyte of 1080p rips. I don't keep that close of an eye on it since it's all so automatic and only noticed because everything was throwing up errors about disk space.

...Anyone know what the monthly transfer ceiling they have on their "unlimited" connections? The service we get from them is surprisingly good, I'm worried about pissing the wrong people off there and being relegated to Uverse. :cry:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I found this neat little piece of software for OSX that makes it easy to launch sickbeard: http://ka010.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/opensource-a-sickbeard-launcher-app/

sits in the menu bar at the top of the screen with start/restart/stop controls.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Laserface posted:

I found this neat little piece of software for OSX that makes it easy to launch sickbeard: http://ka010.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/opensource-a-sickbeard-launcher-app/

sits in the menu bar at the top of the screen with start/restart/stop controls.

Is it really that hard to create an .app wrapper for a python based program? I can't believe it hasn't been done yet.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

io_burn posted:

This might be a long shot, but are any of you guys in the SoCal area with Time Warner? I know they've got no public bandwidth cap, but I was fiddling around with Sickbeard and using the "custom" quality thing and inadvertently downloaded nearly a terabyte of 1080p rips. I don't keep that close of an eye on it since it's all so automatic and only noticed because everything was throwing up errors about disk space.

...Anyone know what the monthly transfer ceiling they have on their "unlimited" connections? The service we get from them is surprisingly good, I'm worried about pissing the wrong people off there and being relegated to Uverse. :cry:

Time Warner doesn't care about a terrabyte in a month. I've done that and others in the channel have and they've never complained.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

duz posted:

Time Warner doesn't care about a terrabyte in a month. I've done that and others in the channel have and they've never complained.

Be warned though that with cable service it all depends on your area. If you live in a neighborhood with a lot of other bandwidth users your node could be highly saturated and they'd sit up and take notice. I don't know what they would do, or if they even could do anything but they will notice if it is having negative effects on other customers.

It works both ways though as people go way over the Comcast limit (250g/mo) and never get a word about it because they aren't affecting other customers becuase the area isn't as saturated as in an area like San Fran, etc...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Corbet posted:

Is it really that hard to create an .app wrapper for a python based program? I can't believe it hasn't been done yet.

For Snow Leopard there was a plist file floating around that worked well enough. after I upgraded to Lion Sickbeard and the plist file broke so that no longer works.

I just added this to my startup items list and will use that for now. The Developer admits its kinda bloated for what it is but hes still working on it.

better than opening terminal and typing the same poo poo in every reboot though.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

maniacripper posted:

It works both ways though as people go way over the Comcast limit (250g/mo) and never get a word about it because they aren't affecting other customers becuase the area isn't as saturated as in an area like San Fran, etc...
I've heard the opposite about Comcast, i.e. that it's more about your relative consumption... if you're in a college town and everyone is using 250GB/mo, then you might not get warnings unless you really are within the top few percent of users. Guess I'll find out soon enough, not using a business account any more :)

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Corbet posted:

A menubar application is another story, but if you just want a .app to launch SickBeard, it's pretty easy using Automator.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Straker posted:

I've heard the opposite about Comcast, i.e. that it's more about your relative consumption... if you're in a college town and everyone is using 250GB/mo, then you might not get warnings unless you really are within the top few percent of users. Guess I'll find out soon enough, not using a business account any more :)

I blew through 2+ TB over a few months on Comcast and never heard a peep.

drwprtcht
Mar 14, 2011
So I FINALLY figured out how to get Sickbeard to put the episodes into the appropriate season folders after the post-processing (I guess I missed the option during install or something.) But low and behold, my WDTV Live Hub won't play all the files that sickbeard processes now. So I reverted back to the old way where I just drag the episodes into their season folders after processing and now they magically work again. :rolleyes:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Apparently this guy is having the same problem. After reading this on the wiki, I sense that python is to blame. Can anyone confirm/deny the issue lies with Python?

freebsd 8.2 i386
python 2.6.7
cherrypy 3.2.0
sabnzbd+ 0.6.6
code:
2011-09-01 07:57:06,274::ERROR::[_cplogging:178] [01/Sep/2011:07:57:06] ENGINE Error in 'start' listener 
  <bound method Server.start of <cherrypy._cpserver.Server object at 0x28ac84cc>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/CherryPy-3.2.0-py2.6.egg/cherrypy/process/wspbus.py", line 179, in publish
    output.append(listener(*args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/CherryPy-3.2.0-py2.6.egg/cherrypy/_cpserver.py", line 141, in start
    ServerAdapter.start(self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/CherryPy-3.2.0-py2.6.egg/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 174, in start
    self.wait()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/CherryPy-3.2.0-py2.6.egg/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 214, in wait
    wait_for_occupied_port(host, port)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/CherryPy-3.2.0-py2.6.egg/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 418, in wait_for_occupied_port
    raise IOError("Port %r not bound on %r" % (port, host))
IOError: Port 8080 not bound on '0.0.0.0'

2011-09-01 07:57:06,277::ERROR::[_cplogging:178] [01/Sep/2011:07:57:06] ENGINE Shutting down due to error in start listener:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/CherryPy-3.2.0-py2.6.egg/cherrypy/process/wspbus.py", line 216, in start
    self.publish('start')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/CherryPy-3.2.0-py2.6.egg/cherrypy/process/wspbus.py", line 196, in publish
    raise exc
ChannelFailures: IOError("Port 8080 not bound on '0.0.0.0'",)
There were no pages loaded from the server, it did that all alone. I use no fancy addons.

edit: gah, forgot to set the timezone on the server

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 1, 2011

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

drwprtcht posted:

So I reverted back to the old way where I just drag the episodes into their season folders after processing and now they magically work again. :rolleyes:

I actually prefer doing it this way, what with propers and the like with my wierd folder structure I have set up. Takes about 60 seconds with rdp while I eat my cereal in the morning, and it'll be scanned and imported into the boxee box by the time I get home from work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I actually prefer doing it this way, what with propers and the like with my wierd folder structure I have set up. Takes about 60 seconds with rdp while I eat my cereal in the morning, and it'll be scanned and imported into the boxee box by the time I get home from work.

FWIW, Sickbeard automatically handles propers.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Anyone desperate for Sick Beard updates should check out the repo on GitHub. There are over 250 forks, and a few of them that have had quite a few commits lately.

https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/network

I personally haven't tried any yet. I'm not sure if they'd be compatible with the built-in updater or if you'd just need to manually git pull.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Grayham posted:

Anyone desperate for Sick Beard updates should check out the repo on GitHub. There are over 250 forks, and a few of them that have had quite a few commits lately.

https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/network

I personally haven't tried any yet. I'm not sure if they'd be compatible with the built-in updater or if you'd just need to manually git pull.

The only reason I haven't switched is because of the auto updater and not really wanting to make the effort of using git pull. Is the original developer dead or something? I thought you could just pull commits into the code?

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

kri kri posted:

The only reason I haven't switched is because of the auto updater and not really wanting to make the effort of using git pull. Is the original developer dead or something? I thought you could just pull commits into the code?

You have to make a "pull request" for it to be incorporated into the trunk (or branch). Migetspy has the decision whether to incorporate the commit into the trunk.

He made a comment on one of the pull requests a few days ago so I guess he's not dead.

natsea
May 31, 2005
I recently switched apartments and ever since my download rate hovers around 600kb/s from my astraweb server. My speedtests show my bandwidth as going up to 5mb/s during times of low traffic. I have tried switching ports, changing the number of connections, using a supernews account, and using SSL. With all of these options the most I can hope to get is ~590kb/s.

I don't directly have a modem but rather plug into a ethernet jack since the apartment complex I live in has a bulk internet account. I performed a glasnot test but that didn't show any throttling on my ISP's part. Anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

natsea posted:

I recently switched apartments and ever since my download rate hovers around 600kb/s from my astraweb server. My speedtests show my bandwidth as going up to 5mb/s during times of low traffic. I have tried switching ports, changing the number of connections, using a supernews account, and using SSL. With all of these options the most I can hope to get is ~590kb/s.

I don't directly have a modem but rather plug into a ethernet jack since the apartment complex I live in has a bulk internet account. I performed a glasnot test but that didn't show any throttling on my ISP's part. Anyone have any suggestions?

I think you're just confusing the units. 5 megabits per second is equivalent to 640 kilobytes per second.

http://www.google.com/search?q=5+megabits+per+second+in+kilobytes+per+second

You're downloading nearly as fast as possible on your connection.