Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo55jk0HFWA

Opa Hoppenstedt owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbz5sy8jPXA

I love this one not just for the skit as such but also for the desperately hideous and stuffy decor and outfits. A matchless triumph of the Spießbürgertum.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
My favorites :

Herren im Bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2bt8MSGxlM&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxKUbzbFPH4&feature=fvwrel

Kosakenzipfel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Vxyb5BYrc&feature=related

If you didn't understand any of it, have a german lesson (activate annotations)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRhf98aKsto&feature=related

hankor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 29, 2011

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've been studying German for a few years now at Goethe Institut. I'll be completing my B2 certificate soon. I studied business back in college and I was wondering if I should bother trying to immigrate to Germany? I hear that it's almost impossible for foreigners coming in from North America to find work in Germany unless they are really talented engineers, scientists or computer experts with near perfect German skills and even then their stay is temporary at best.

Should I bother at all? I noticed a lot of Germans with humanities majors (which I feel are similar to business majors) are now actually coming here to work becuase they couldn't find work back home so it doesn't sound very promising. I also hear there's a resurgence of anti-immigration and xenophobic sentiment in Germany right now so it might be a bad idea to immigrate there.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

I've been studying German for a few years now at Goethe Institut. I'll be completing my B2 certificate soon. I studied business back in college and I was wondering if I should bother trying to immigrate to Germany? I hear that it's almost impossible for foreigners coming in from North America to find work in Germany unless they are really talented engineers, scientists or computer experts with near perfect German skills and even then their stay is temporary at best.

Should I bother at all? I noticed a lot of Germans with humanities majors (which I feel are similar to business majors) are now actually coming here to work becuase they couldn't find work back home so it doesn't sound very promising. I also hear there's a resurgence of anti-immigration and xenophobic sentiment in Germany right now so it might be a bad idea to immigrate there.

Don't forget Switzerland as an option as well ...

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Kraftwerk posted:

I also hear there's a resurgence of anti-immigration and xenophobic sentiment in Germany right now so it might be a bad idea to immigrate there.
Those are mostly reserved for poor people from cultures different from ours. Like, I doubt most people in the states would mind canadian immigrants, but when it's mexicans it's a whole different story.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Kraftwerk posted:

Most of the perceived resurgence of xenophobia can probably be attributed to the fairly common rise in anti-islamic sentiments that we have thanks to our media outlets.

So it's not really germans starting to dislike foreigners again, it's more along the lines of germans buying into unsubstantiated and - ironically - subtle fearmongering and subconsciously projecting the resulting bias on other ethnicities. (You know...brown people and stuff)

In any case, I don't really think it's that substantial of a resurgence. It just gets ungodly amounts of media attention every time certain politicians or celebrities in semi-political limelight start hemorrhaging idiocy from every possibly orifice when there are reporters or cameras around.

tl;dr: We cool, come over.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well, we Germans hate America. If you as an American leave your country, it means you probably hate America, too. So you are more than welcome. :)

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

:words: about working in Germany

I'm an American humanities major and I found a job in Germany (having never spoken the language before coming). It took me about a year (but I wasn't really trying/the first 6 months I was in language school, so you might have quicker success if you were hardcore about job searching). There's still the possibility of it not working out (I have an internship and they want to hire me full time when it's over. I'm assuming/hoping with the support of my employer they won't deny my visa).

Getting a visa to teach English here is pretty easy too.

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

My name is Jiminy Krimpet, and I am a Falcoholic.
^ Which field did you find work in, if you don't mind my asking? And how did you get your foot in the door?

I plan/desire to go this route in 4-5 years.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Jiminy Krimpet posted:

^ Which field did you find work in, if you don't mind my asking? And how did you get your foot in the door?

I plan/desire to go this route in 4-5 years.

I work in e-learning. I got my start with an internship and they liked me so they've offered me a position for when my internship is finished (got the internship from an ad I saw on ToyTown). I'm not 100% excited by it, but at least it's not teaching and I'll have a real salary, etc. Though if it weren't in the education field, I'm not sure if I would have even been able to get the internship (and thus the job), since my current visa is as a freelance language teacher.

The thing with Germany is that (as an American) you can change your visa status without leaving the country, so when it comes time for me to get the visa to start my "work" I'll just have to send a copy of my contract along with a form (it's one page) to the Auslander Behörde and then it will take 4-6 weeks. Though I think the "ease" of this process depends on where you are (i.e. it might be harder to get a visa in Berlin where there is a lot of unemployment as compared to other parts of the country). Though in those 4-6 weeks, I'm sure there can be lots of hassles, I work with another American who's had some problems getting a new visa (you have to get a new visa every time your job title changes), but since he lives in another city from where I am, he has to go through a different Auslanderamt. So that plays a factor too.

That way you can come over and pretty easily get a job as a freelance language teacher and then that can buy you time to find something more permanent/to your liking.

I'm not sure what the consensus is on ToyTown, but they have a lot of info about visa regulations/immigration to Germany.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 29, 2011

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Is it just me or is this guy nuts: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,782454,00.html

If you have a situation such as this:

quote:

The 5,000 best-earning German households have increased their share of the total national revenue by about 50 percent since the mid-1990s. At the same time, the real income of all Germans has remained about the same over this period.

How does raising tax help versus say, paying workers more or like, establishing a federal minimum wage? Oh thats right ... any inflation and the pension system will collapse, eep. Keep paying people like it's still the 90's then I guess. Populist jingoism goes a long way.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
Do you really want to start a half baked debate about that in a travel thread?

vvvv Personal commentaries in mass media outlets are always retarded .

hankor fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 29, 2011

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Der Spiegel is retarded anyway.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

hankor posted:

Do you really want to start a half baked debate about that in a travel thread?

I'm interested in the politics and economy of the country I live in and am a citizen of v:)v Sometimes I really do feel like I am in a timewarp living here. In this thread at least there are actual Germans, maybe I should take it to the D&D libertarians. It's also hard to find information on Germany in English, especially on more internal matters, my German is not good enough for technical discussions on economics unfortunately.

Anyway I visited here on Saturday for Lange Nacht der Museen. http://www.computerspielemuseum.de/ I'm sure it would appeal to lots of people here if they are visiting Berlin

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
D&D libertarians? What the hell are you smoking?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Please outline your political opinions unixbeard.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

unixbeard posted:

Anyway I visited here on Saturday for Lange Nacht der Museen. http://www.computerspielemuseum.de/ I'm sure it would appeal to lots of people here if they are visiting Berlin

I can vouch for that, it's awesome and has a lot of interesting stuff like the PainStation to try out. It's neat. Dunno if they still do it but on specific days there's no entrance fee.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
On an unrelated note: I'm currently in berlin for one (1) month, and wouldn't mind maybe seeing a berliner goon IRL (get it? goons as well as berliners have moist golden coatings). If you're down pm me and I can hook you up with my Handynummer. Anyone for some goonps?

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

On an unrelated note: I'm currently in berlin for one (1) month, and wouldn't mind maybe seeing a berliner goon IRL (get it? goons as well as berliners have moist golden coatings). If you're down pm me and I can hook you up with my Handynummer. Anyone for some goonps?
You could come to Hack and Tell at c-base tomorrow if you're into computers and poo poo.

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Well, we Germans hate America. If you as an American leave your country, it means you probably hate America, too. So you are more than welcome. :)

What? We're so drat loveable and cute. I was in Mainz at a time when Bush came through and they closed all the roads for his motorcade. That night in the Mainz pub there were a lot of upset university students (which I like for the cultural debate/discussions) and it was probably the only time Ive been in germany that I kept my hand over my beer glass so no one would spit in it. I personally liked him as a president (and Bush Sr.) but my god, that man fired up some hate in the Europeans.

so did your "hate america" come from the Bush years? or even before that?

Edit: The hate being expressed by the University Students was why they shut down the roads for "that american idiot".

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
That's sort of a complicated issue, in general people from east germany hate you for being imperialistic assholes and people from the west will hate you for not having "your own rich and diverse culture".

Students will hate you for both of these and dislike your systemic racism (since we don't really have any significant amount of brown people we have no opportunity to disadvantage them more efficiently than you ever could, loving over the turkish population is fun but they are simply not dark enough). The average working man will hate you for the phrase "old europe" and the classic intellectual (pseudo or not) will hate you for what you do with our mass-media and our language.

Since Bush embodied most, if not all of these things, he and the whole country attracted some serious anger in germany when the war started, touching our chancellor didn't really help. While there was a brief hysteria for Obama the US itself is still seen in a rather negative light.

I think there are two main dividers, from a german point of view your whole political system is all kinds of hosed up and your constitution is far too lenient when it comes to changing things, when we hear things about political groups in the US they always bitch about the constitution being violated and misused, most germans don't know what actually is or isn't part of the constitution because they don't have to care about it . We just don't get your approach towards your political system. While you seem to hate and distrust everything your government does we are pretty satisfied with ours and have been for decades, while it's not all peachy you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that is afraid of the police or that thinks that a state run health care system is a bad idea.

The other major divider is probably the attitude towards our own country, you'll not find the average german using "Germany, Germany, Number one"(which is eerily similar to a part of our anthem that is no longer in use) as something to shout when he's feeling particularly patriotic, as a matter of fact it's generally seen as pretty stupid to be patriotic in the first place. Don't get me wrong, the people are glad they live here and while they think of nice weather and great beaches most will never really think twice about actually living elsewhere. But actually saying that we are the greatest country in the world? That's completely hosed up, especially if you are in no position to actually compare it.

Those are the main points the average german has against the average traveling american, of course everybody is different but since traveling to europe is a privilege for assholes that think it's going to make them more cultured and conservative idiots, the americans that actually come to germany can , for the most part, gently caress off.

Before I forget: We universally hate you for asking if we are still Nazis (gently caress the family that made a friend of me a swastika cake for her birthday when she went for a student exchange), your inability to drive stick, your ignorance towards european culture ("it's basically one little country, right?") and we especially hate you for asking if anybody in our family knows your great great grandfather Hans and that you "feel" german because of him.

Other than that we don't give a poo poo.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Saying that Germans hate the USA is bs. Some Germans hate the US for some reasons and some others for some others, but the vast majority of people I meet are either pleased by or indifferent to where I'm from.

That's not to say that opinions don't change over time. After 9/11 Germany was behind the US 100% but then when the run-up to the Iraq war was going on, the Bush administration did everything they could to paint Germany and France as effete declining civilizations that were BFFs with Saddam Hussein and, for a country that took the US side in just about every international debate since 1945 it was hard to take. I remember around 2004/2005 when I could not have a casual conversation without being asked my opinion about Bush/the war. I even got a ticket for riding a bike without a light a week after the 2004 election, and was asked by the cop if I thought it (the election) had been rigged!

These days people are a lot less worked up over that stuff. Most people will have at least an opinion about the US or American politics, though, because I suspect it's the most widely reported non-german topic in the news as far as I can tell. (there's also a very long-running tradition of German fascination with America going back to Karl May and jazz and before, but that's a whole other topic for another time)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Troubadour posted:

Saying that Germans hate the USA is bs. Some Germans hate the US for some reasons and some others for some others, but the vast majority of people I meet are either pleased by or indifferent to where I'm from.

That's not to say that opinions don't change over time. After 9/11 Germany was behind the US 100% but then when the run-up to the Iraq war was going on, the Bush administration did everything they could to paint Germany and France as effete declining civilizations that were BFFs with Saddam Hussein and, for a country that took the US side in just about every international debate since 1945 it was hard to take. I remember around 2004/2005 when I could not have a casual conversation without being asked my opinion about Bush/the war. I even got a ticket for riding a bike without a light a week after the 2004 election, and was asked by the cop if I thought it (the election) had been rigged!

These days people are a lot less worked up over that stuff.

Pretty much this. There isn't really a generally negative sentiment towards the US anymore like there was after Bush threw out the whole "If you ain't with us, you're against us."-doctrine.
That was terrible diplomacy and combined with people questioning the validity of the war on Iraq resulted in an increasing dislike of the US, but that was mostly a dislike focused and based on global policy and less on the actual people so it has pretty much dissipated for the most part.

You still have your average demographic that will always dislike the US for being evil global policemen imperialistyaddayadda, but every country has some form of group like that. (also: college knowitall hippies)

If there's one thing germans are starting to get pissed off about, it's the loving clowncar act that is the american presidential election and the current clusterfuck in economic policies.

I've on occasion been accused of having red, white & blue blood, I like me some guns 'n fried chicken and while I can neither skin a buck nor run a trout line, i generally really love america, but jesus gently caress, them people turn into complete retards during election years.

///dyslexia again

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 30, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've definitely been asked my share of things about America. Things ranging from, "Are there really people who don't accept evolution? Have you met any of them?" to, "I found this hilarious humor website, Conservpedia … what do you mean it's not a humor site?"

From my understanding a lot of the 'hatred' is largely due to Bush. But now we've got Obama, and according to a lot of Europeans, he's really, really, great.

(I don't really want to get into American politics here, but you should really check out the threads in D&D if you still think Obama is great and awesome. The honeymoon is over for a lot of people who voted for him, me including, but for every German/European I meet it seems they only know him from his first campaign and not what he's actually done to my country since then.)

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Ziir posted:

The honeymoon is over for a lot of people who voted for him, me including, but for every German/European I meet it seems they only know him from his first campaign and not what he's actually done to my country since then.)

I think that has a lot to do with the fact that before and right after the election there was a lot of "hurray, they finally did the right thing" going on, but tbh nobody is really interested in the day to day business of US politics (and why should they). The lack of (progressive) action by Obama is something you hardly hear about in the media over here and most of the criticism is due to "those drat republicans". Obama's image around here is still defined by his words in the election campaign and not by the lack of action after it was done.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

elwood posted:

I think that has a lot to do with the fact that before and right after the election there was a lot of "hurray, they finally did the right thing" going on, but tbh nobody is really interested in the day to day business of US politics (and why should they). The lack of (progressive) action by Obama is something you hardly hear about in the media over here and most of the criticism is due to "those drat republicans". Obama's image around here is still defined by his words in the election campaign and not by the lack of action after it was done.
Yeah that's my thoughts exactly.

hankor posted:

gently caress the family that made a friend of me a swastika cake for her birthday when she went for a student exchange
What was your friend's reaction?

hankor posted:

your inability to drive stick
I know how to drive stick, I just choose not to because I live(d) in a city with population ca. 5 million and gently caress driving stick with that many people.

hankor posted:

your ignorance towards european culture ("it's basically one little country, right?") and we especially hate you for asking if anybody in our family knows your great great grandfather Hans and that you "feel" german because of him.
"Do you know any cowboys? Indians? What's "American" food like? Why don't you talk like the people on MTV? A friend of mine did a year abroad in Iowa. You've been there before or?"

:colbert:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

elwood posted:

Agree with the first half, disagree with most of the second.

The media over here have pretty consistently focused on Obama's attempt to push the healthcare reform through and that certainly hasn't gone too jolly-jingles. From other reports over the last couple of years my impression has pretty much been that progress (not "progressivism", but literally "yesterday was lovely, today is less lovely"-progress) has ground to a bit of a halt with both partisan sides digging in and refusing to work with eachother.

With the election recently starting to turn into something "worth" reporting on (saw a report on the Ames Iowa strawpoll on N24), I've started to hear about the Tea Party on german news as well, curious to see how the reporting is going to develop.

But my general impression from what I hear from my friends is that noone gives too much of a poo poo, but outside of a few pseudo-anarchist extremists, I don't believe there is a general resentment of americans as it has been suggested so far.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
I think there is, but it's not about really about politics (at least not about the details) and more about the fact that Americans are seen as loud, obnoxious and ignorant.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Previously on GBS posted:

I think there is, but it's not about really about politics (at least not about the details) and more about the fact that Americans are seen as loud, obnoxious and ignorant.

Well...since loud, obnoxious and ignorant is usually what leaves more of a lasting impression than calm, inoffensive and tolerant, it's somewhat understandable, but I wouldn't be surprised if this impression is more prevalent in places with US Armed Forces garrisons in their vicinity.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
No I personally also find american tourists to be those things. More so than tourists from other countries.

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

niethan posted:

No I personally also find american tourists to be those things. More so than tourists from other countries.

Actually I find American tourists, one of the nicest and more respectful people and least demanding people that visit Germany. Also they tip very well. My tourist related hatred is reserved for Brits and Italians.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
Germans hate themselves more than anyone else.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

DeusEx posted:

Actually I find American tourists, one of the nicest and more respectful people and least demanding people that visit Germany. Also they tip very well.

Is it just me, or is tipping a custom that's not been that widespread until a few years ago? I mean at least not in the 10-20% way it's done in the US. What I'm saying is American tourists don't tip 'well' because they're nice but because it's like that in the US and it's catching on here in that style as well despite better wages for servers over here.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
nothing to see here

Ziir fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 30, 2011

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Rounding up to the closest DM/Euro has been the way it's always been done and I doubt the 10-20 % rule will really catch on.

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

Let's not derail this thread with a tiping discussion (it always ends up rhis way somehow on SA, so let's better not delve into this). Also let's better not discuss how "well paid" service people are in Germany, lest I strangle someone.

Also it'd not only about tiping, but the attitude foreigners display in general.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
^^^^ So what's the problem with the attitude of Brits? I always have a blast when I'm running into them.

Ziir posted:

What was your friend's reaction?

Aparantly she started crying which is kind of understandable when you are a 15 year old girl and realize that the friendly folks you have been living with think you live in a fascist dictatorship and are a-okay with that.

Ziir posted:

"Do you know any cowboys? Indians? What's "American" food like? Why don't you talk like the people on MTV? A friend of mine did a year abroad in Iowa. You've been there before or?"

Point taken.

hankor fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 30, 2011

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

hankor posted:

^^^^ So what's the problem with the attitude of Brits? I always have a blast when I'm running into them.

You have to differentiate, between business people, who are used to travel and behave accordingly, and are generally nice chaps compared to "The British Tourist", which is an unsufferable rude beast, that drinks WAY too much (even by our already generous German standards), and generally thinks, that because he's on vacation, it means he doesn't have to adhere to any standard of socially acceptable behaviour.

The same goes for Australians. Vacation mode equals often enough rear end in a top hat mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

My name is Jiminy Krimpet, and I am a Falcoholic.

Ziir posted:

:v: Germany = Bayern

:v: USA = Texas

Alternately funny/sad depending on the situation.

One thing that doesn't help the whole Germans = Nazis perception is what's taught in schools and what's on TV. Basically there's not a whole lot depicted since WWII except maybe the Berlin Wall/reunification. Every TV show on German history is "Hitler and the Occult", "Hitler: Was His Dog a Secret Zionist", etc.

I think the standard American timeline of Germany is as follows:

Hapsburgs (LOL, incest)
WWI (fantastic moustaches and pointy helmets)
Wheelbarrows full of useless cash
Hitlerpalooza, the setting of every TV show and movie ever made about Germany ever
*East Germany: 50 Years of Testosterone-Laden Women and Plastic Cars
Tear Down this Wall
*Stonewashed Jeans: The Sweet Nectar of Freedom

* I would read these history textbooks

Jiminy Krimpet fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 30, 2011