Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i thought it was supposed to be 'realistic' or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Most scifi I get bored of if I try to re-read, but the Takeshi Kovacks books by Richard K Morgan are proving to be fun around again.

Most re-read book in the whole shelf is Vance's 'Planet of Adventure', goddamn am I :gay: for that man's work.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
not enough fat broads in latex

-=NMN=-

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

not enough fat broads in latex

-=NMN=-

there are never enough fat broads in latex

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

fat broads in latex innnnnn spaaaaaaaaace

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

mr iain m banks if ur reading this plz name a culture ship in a future book "fat broad in latex" thx

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

rotor posted:

there are never enough fat broads in latex

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

welcome to the fat broads in latex planet

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the color of the fat broad in latex's panties

spoiler: not wearing any

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sneaking Mission posted:

welcome to the fat broads in latex planet

wanna be on dat away team

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
set phasers to 'caress'

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Kirk posted:

i'm a big gay homo that likes big ships flying around the galaxy so i'm satisfied

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
also i picked up two A.E. Van Vogt's at a used book place today, 'Slan' and 'The War Against the Rull'

a few weeks ago i got 'supermind' and a few sci-fi short story collections on Gods and Thinking Machines

the only one from 'thinking machines' that really sticks out was the poul anderson one where the caretaker of the giant computer that's big brothering everyone goes super-libertarian and takes the whole system down

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kirk posted:

personally i don't care and i'm willing to look the other way because i'm a big gay homo that likes big ships flying around the galaxy so i'm satisfied. on the flip side, when i am hungry from some slightly more realistic and imaginative sci-fi there's lots of modern stuff that takes these limitations into account.

I like the big ships flyin' around the solar system in "Saturn's Children" but the cover is loving reprehensible so get it on Kindle.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wow a book about a sex toy having adventures has a picture of that sex toy on the cover how terrible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

?!?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

rotor posted:

?!?

that's still the coolest painting

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that's still the coolest painting

goya painted it onto his dining room wall which is just brutal.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

duTrieux posted:

goya painted it onto his dining room wall which is just brutal.

hahaha, seriously?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

c/p from wiki:

quote:

In 1819, with the idea of isolating himself, he bought a country house by the Manzanares river just outside of Madrid. It was known as the Quinta del Sordo (roughly, "House of the Deaf Man", titled after its previous owner and not after Goya himself). There he created the Black Paintings with intense, haunting themes, reflective of the artist's fear of insanity, and his outlook on humanity. Several of these, including Saturn Devouring His Son, were painted directly onto the walls of his dining and sitting rooms.

imagine locking eyes with that thing every morning over your oatmeal and coffee.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

duTrieux posted:

c/p from wiki:

In 1819, with the idea of isolating himself, he bought a country house by the Manzanares river just outside of Madrid. It was known as the Quinta del Sordo (roughly, "House of the Deaf Man", titled after its previous owner and not after Goya himself). There he created the Black Paintings with intense, haunting themes, reflective of the artist's fear of insanity, and his outlook on humanity. Several of these, including Saturn Devouring His Son, were painted directly onto the walls of his dining and sitting rooms.

so ownage

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the eyes are literally the best psychoface ever

after this one

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the eyes are literally the best psychoface ever

after this one

saturn devouring his cheetos

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

haveblue posted:

Don't make fun of jeff gerstmann

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

rotor posted:

so ownage

there are lots of theories as to why poor old Goya went crazy. One of them is lead poisoning from the paint he used.

He's kind of like the PK Dick of Romance era painting

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
read A.E. Van Vogt's 'the war against the rull' yesterday, was p. good but there were a few gimmicks from 'the voyage of the space beagle' that were re-used

makes me worried if i blow through a few more of his books it'll be like reading the fifth or six heinlein character ranting about why she can't be nude all the time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
is fire upon the deep/deepness in the sky good and what order should I read them in

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

is fire upon the deep/deepness in the sky good and what order should I read them in

i like them, and it doesn't matter what order really. there's only one character in common, the books happen thousands of years apart, and the events of one aren't important to understanding the events of the other

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

haveblue posted:

worth reading

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
btw there's a new one coming out in a month or so if you didn't already know that

Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.

unironically good, and it's not even about genetic mutants in giant armour suits

Yet all of his other books are terrible. Is this one of those even-a-stopped-clock-is-right-twice-a-day things?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

haveblue posted:

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

haveblue posted:

good read. read in order of publication i guess. that's what i usually go by

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I just re-read Rendezvous with Rama for the first time in 25 years or so.

Never read the sequels, don't think I ever will.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that is wise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

that is wise
truth

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

haveblue posted:

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
btw anyone who is a lovecraft fan should really read stross' The Library series. new one comes out soon

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

btw anyone who is a lovecraft fan should really read stross' The Library series. new one comes out soon

July of next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

I just re-read Rendezvous with Rama for the first time in 25 years or so.

Never read the sequels, don't think I ever will.

Was gonna say they blow, but going to amend that by saying the parts not written by Clarke blow. Like you can tell exactly which chapters were and weren't written by him.

• Locked thread