Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
What's the story behind Stu Scott and Daulerio?

Nevermind, I just found it. He literally looked over his shoulder and read his text message and made a giant assumption about what it pertained to. Wow.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BackInTheUSSR posted:

What's the story behind Stu Scott and Daulerio?

He went to the Super Bowl for Deadspin, basically stalked Stu at a bar, and allegedly saw Stu sending a text to some cheerleader about meeting up later, which obviously means that he was trying to gently caress her.

I'm not kidding that is the whole story. Apparently this was a big deal to him. It is basically everything dumb about Deadspin in one sentence.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Wait so they "broke into" ESPN's All-Hands? I am constantly trying to break out of the ones we have at work...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

leokitty posted:

Wait so they "broke into" ESPN's All-Hands? I am constantly trying to break out of the ones we have at work...

This equally pointless follow-up makes it sound like they were invited. Either ESPN didn't like them liveblogging the event or they obtained the invitation through deception. Either way, yeah, who cares.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Is there any content on Deadspin that's worthwhile anymore?

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

The broken bones posted:

Is there any content on Deadspin that's worthwhile anymore?

They did that thing about BYU's honor code last year and that was decent enough. Not really anything exceptional, anymore.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Heaf posted:

They did that thing about BYU's honor code last year and that was decent enough. Not really anything exceptional, anymore.
That piece was written in April. Craggs' bit on NBA teams manipulating balance sheets to hide profits and maximize loss isn't even two months old.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The guy who writes about boxing/MMA in the tri-state area is worth reading.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

C. Everett Koop posted:

The guy who writes about boxing/MMA in the tri-state area is worth reading.

You can also find Hamilton Nolan stuff on The Awl. And it is good.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

MorningView posted:

Dalerio basically made his career by looking over Stu Scott's shoulder while he sent a text (or more likely making a story about doing that up)
Daulerio and Leitch worked together on a different magazine before founding Deadspin together. Then they worked together for a couple of years. On Deadspin. But, apart from everything you just wrote, you're 100% correct.

"I detect Deadspin, therefore bad!"

Holy Diverticulitis fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 27, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
His Super Bowl coverage was the first thing he did on Deadspin that got him a lot of attention, and the Stu Scott text was the most famous thing to come out of that. And it was really gross. I don't know why you are so desperate to defend a guy who thinks pictures of athletes' penises or who random ESPN employees are loving are worthy news stories. I'm sure Deadspin has some good pieces here and there, but it's largely a lovely tabloid.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 27, 2011

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Big Daddy Drew is on there.

Now that Katie Baker is at grantland that's the only reason I'd want to go to Deadspin.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

That piece was written in April. Craggs' bit on NBA teams manipulating balance sheets to hide profits and maximize loss isn't even two months old.

Other outlets pointed out that article had some fundamental problems with it. I'm not a financial expert, but it seems like an interesting but flawed piece. Ironically, a more in-depth investigative piece a la Yahoo News would have better served the exclusive information that they received.

Deadspin has decent stuff from time to time, but I've lost most interest in what they do. Back when they started in 2005, the idea of a sports news aggregate with funny commentary and occasional features filled a niche. Now there's a million sites like that, and they lost my favorite asset in Leitch.

With the shifting focus towards off the field events, petty sports journalism coverage and "lifestyle" pieces, there's just not much there I'm interested in anymore. I don't care about dong shots.

Craggs posted his story about the trip to ESPN. It boils down to them figuring out who he is and politely asking him to leave. Sprinkled throughout the article are bits like, "I remember the look of smug idiot knowingness on his face." It's honestly kind of sad.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MorningView posted:

His Super Bowl coverage was the first thing he did on Deadspin that got him a lot of attention, and the Stu Scott text was the most famous thing to come out of that. And it was really gross. I don't know why you are so desperate to defend a guy who thinks pictures of athletes' penises or who random ESPN employees are loving are worthy news stories. I'm sure Deadspin has some good pieces here and there, but it's largely a lovely tabloid.

Well, at least it's better than Bleacher Report!

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

seiferguy posted:

Well, at least it's better than Bleacher Report!

'The 50 Hottest WAGs of Summer"

"Football's 40 Hottest WAGs"

"The 50 Hottest WAGs of Major League Baseball"

e: I didn't mean to put down Deadspin, I just don't read it and all I hear is how terrible it's been lately.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

MorningView posted:

His Super Bowl coverage was the first thing he did on Deadspin that got him a lot of attention, and the Stu Scott text was the most famous thing to come out of that.
I don't think there's any dispute Daulerio's not a great writer, but what someone gets famous for isn't a fair sample. Bill Buckner wasn't a ground ball sieve. He did serviceable work for years, which would have earned him a position lots of places. (That was probably the rationale for selecting him as Leitch's successor; giving him management reigns wouldn't take away from long-form output.) But talking about that doesn't fit the narrative of "Worthless Smut Dealer!" so whatever.

quote:

I don't know why you are so desperate to defend a guy who thinks pictures of athletes' penises or who random ESPN employees are loving are worthy news stories. I'm sure Deadspin has some good pieces here and there, but it's largely a lovely tabloid.
I'm partly being contrarian (I LOVE YOU, BAYLESS), partly tired of reductive boilerplate (and the impulse to categorize Deadspin' work, file it under one of a series of behaviors, force agency upon it), and partly of the opinion that the narrative for journalistic organs swings into action late. Last year, the crowd was late to get impatient with Deadspin; the site cruised on goodwill from previous years, when the patterns of that tabloid style were established and worsening. The GQ piece on Daulerio was so belated, like, "Really? You just got on this?" But that dissatisfaction swung into action after the site's nadir, and that late pendulum swing is probably going to persist even if they do everything right. The narrative is now "SMUTTY TRASH!" so even if some of their recent moves (like bringing in Scocca) starts to change their output editorially, it'll be marginalized in favor of the prevailing "common sense."

Holy Diverticulitis fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 27, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

I don't think there's any dispute Daulerio's not a great writer, but what someone gets famous for isn't a fair sample. Bill Buckner wasn't a ground ball sieve. He did serviceable work for years, which would have earned him a position lots of places. (That was probably the rationale for selecting him as Leitch's successor; giving him management reigns wouldn't take away from long-form output.) But talking about that doesn't fit the narrative of "Worthless Smut Dealer!" so whatever.

Right but I wasn't arguing that it was the only thing he's ever done, I was saying that it was the thing that initially brought him to the attention of a wide audience. And it was mostly for the sake of a joke, although I do think that particular story set the tone for a fairly large percentage of the work he's done since.

Deadspin has more than earned the narrative that gets thrown at them. As you noted, it's not like that's always been they way they've been viewed, they had a lot of good will built up prior to Daulerio taking over (they published some dumb poo poo prior to that, but he's certainly pushed them farther in that direction, and at least back in the day they had a pretty decent writer in Leitch running things) that they've burned through. They may have a few good pieces, but they get buried under a mountain of petty bullshit about ESPN and trash. If they don't want that reputation they should quit publishing so much tabloid bullshit.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 28, 2011

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

MorningView posted:

Right but I wasn't arguing that it was the only thing he's ever done, I was saying that it was the thing that initially brought him to the attention of a wide audience. And it was mostly for the sake of a joke, although I do think that particular story set the tone for a fairly large percentage of the work he's done since.
My mistake, man. I didn't mean to misread you.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
I wasn't completely sold on Grantland until they posted This amazing article

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
Tom Kowalski died this morning. He was an excellent reporter for the Lions, and will be missed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

I wasn't completely sold on Grantland until they posted This amazing article

But they didn't include my favorite of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtMji36lOQM

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

ShaneB posted:

But they didn't include my favorite of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtMji36lOQM

It only vaguely fits the theme of the article, but my favorite Sprite commercial of all-time is still this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOulvniNdg4

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Storm posted:

Tom Kowalski died this morning. He was an excellent reporter for the Lions, and will be missed.

He wins the award for most awkward final tweet ever:

http://twitter.com/#!/TomKowalski36/status/107993777859338240

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Neodoomium posted:

He wins the award for most awkward final tweet ever:

http://twitter.com/#!/TomKowalski36/status/107993777859338240
Well that is fantastic.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Yeah, shame to have a Princess Bride reference as your last public communication.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The Simmons vs. Jonah Keri "e-mail exchange" is kind of hilarious, if only for Simmons' inability to understand that bringing up Desmond Jennings earlier wouldn't have single-handedly saved the Rays' season.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/3137/youve-got-mail-bill-simmons-and-jonah-keri-discuss-desmond-jennings

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
The only thing that would have singlehandedly saved the Rays season is if they played in the AL Central.

Simmons just does not get this argument. Thought process goes as follows:

Simmons:
He's batting .351/.439/.634 through 130 at-bats!
Why wasn't he playing all year?
If he played all year like that, the Rays would be in first.
Yeah, I know he probably would have regressed a little, but still.
The Rays would be in first.

Keri:
what, no

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Even if you conservatively estimate, he'd have hit [all-star type numbers]"

"That is dumb. And even then it wouldn't be enough to make up the gap"

"BLOOD IN THE WATER, FANBASE, ATTITUDE"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Damon Bruce ranted and raved this morning about how Carlos Beltran "wasn't brought on this team to slap singles" and is a travesty because "he only has 4 RBI."

The Giants aggregate OPS around him is like .050. Goddammit, sports radio. Why must I have no other choice when I'm in my company car :(

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
When the hell did they let Bruce back on KNBR? He'd been exiled to 1050 the last time I checked.

Zmev
Sep 26, 2007

Don't
Because Radnich is terrible. Apparently they're teaming Radnich with Larry "brain-dead Caribbean hitters" Krueger. More reasons to not listen to KNBR unless the game is on.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
KNBR is the drizzling shits when Fitz and Brooks aren't on. I've been trying to listen to the new FM station, but they're no better, especially now that the Giants are struggling.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Between not believing that a student-athlete could be poor enough to find illegal benefits enticing in his last article and calling Miami a "thugfest" and saying that the athletes who went there but didn't commit any violations don't deserve any pity because should have seen something like this coming in his most recent one, I don't quite understand why so many reputable people were excited about John Brandon on Grantland.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

xbilkis posted:

Between not believing that a student-athlete could be poor enough to find illegal benefits enticing in his last article and calling Miami a "thugfest" and saying that the athletes who went there but didn't commit any violations don't deserve any pity because should have seen something like this coming in his most recent one, I don't quite understand why so many reputable people were excited about John Brandon on Grantland.

He's not funny or good. They've put out what, three college football articles total if you count his two awful ones and the one about Oregon's Uniforms? There have been a ton of Tennis articles. Is tennis way more popular than I imagined?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is Rick Reilly EVER legitimately funny or insightful? I can maybe believe the latter, but definitely not the former.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

He's not funny or good. They've put out what, three college football articles total if you count his two awful ones and the one about Oregon's Uniforms? There have been a ton of Tennis articles. Is tennis way more popular than I imagined?

It's kind of nice to have a place that gives exactly the same exposure to articles about tennis as they do to football.

The internet is not particularly hurting for scrutinizing, minutiae-dissecting college football coverage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
christ it's like every third page someone has to get in the loving time machine and post articles from when Rick Reilly was Rick Reilly. go look at some old content i am sick of posting his good poo poo all the time.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Badfinger posted:

It's kind of nice to have a place that gives exactly the same exposure to articles about tennis as they do to football.

The internet is not particularly hurting for scrutinizing, minutiae-dissecting college football coverage.

It's definitely hurting for non-poo poo college football coverage.

e. Any of those people would have been better hires than the guy Grantland has covering college football. I guess I should be happy it's not Dan Shannoff or Clay Travis.

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 2, 2011

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It's definitely hurting for non-poo poo college football coverage.

Eh, Doc Saturday does good serious national coverage for Yahoo, EDSBS does good funny national coverage, Smart Football does a lot of cool X and Os stuff, and there are several really good team specific blogs. And at least as far as the Big Ten goes, I don't even mind the ESPN blog that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Lazy like a Fox posted:

KNBR is the drizzling shits when Fitz and Brooks aren't on. I've been trying to listen to the new FM station, but they're no better, especially now that the Giants are struggling.

Fitz & Brooks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Razor & Mr T > Murph & Mac > Eric Byrnes >>>>>>>>>>>>> Gary Radnich & "D Bruce"

Incidentally I like the "fill in" guys that usually do other things, like Ray Woodson or Ted Robinson. I love me some Fitz & Brooks :allears: