Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Some info and photos of the Epic 4G Touch leaked ahead of tonight's PR mumble.

I notice that one of the selling points is "Wi-FiŽ Calling", which to my knowledge, hasn't been featured on a Sprint handset to date.

Is Sprint seriously getting into WiFi calling? Or is this information being conflabulated with the T-Mobile SGSII?

Edit: Also it's 4.5", which is news I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, the leaked FCC diagrams kinda suggested it'd be 4.5", which I still think is too big for a phone. 4.3" seems about as big as I'd want, but I don't really watch videos on my phone very often.

A friend of mine just got an Infuse and that thing is huge. Pretty much impossible to swype with the same hand you're holding the phone with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Gah, is there really no other way to take it off? I do a lot of freelance work so knowing when I'll have that much money in my account ahead of time isn't always feasible and I'd rather not get overdrafted because of bad autopay timing.

Sorry dude, but unfortunately there is no other way.

I think the wifi calling is a mixup, they said the same thing about the replenish.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Epic Touch 4G is out on 9/16

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...0830Epic4GTouch

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why in the gently caress haven't HTC released the gingerbread source code for the Evo Shift? This is really frustrating.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

dphi posted:

Yeah, the leaked FCC diagrams kinda suggested it'd be 4.5", which I still think is too big for a phone. 4.3" seems about as big as I'd want, but I don't really watch videos on my phone very often.

A friend of mine just got an Infuse and that thing is huge. Pretty much impossible to swype with the same hand you're holding the phone with.

4.5" isn't a big deal, just shrink the bezel a bit and it's the same size as a 4.3" phone. Being a bigger display, it's really too bad it's not qHD (and that it's Samsung).

EDIT: Bexel is not a word, bezel is.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 31, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
My experiences with the same display on the Infuse:

1. Its big. The phone is slim, but definitely bigger than the EVO.

2. The display appears very low DPI and sucks for reading text, especially on a white/grey background. The text is very pixelated and definitely needs to be bumped up more than it should be because of the pixelation.
3. Because it is OLED, (or S-AMOLED whatever), it sucks tons of juice on white, so they have it darken when the screen is mostly white. Makes colors shift and it just looks bad.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having problems with 3G in Omaha, NE? I'm not even getting a 3G icon.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

ratbert90 posted:

Why in the gently caress haven't HTC released the gingerbread source code for the Evo Shift? This is really frustrating.
What will the above do/fix? Cm7 is nice and stable for the Shift and that runs 2.3.

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

falz posted:

What will the above do/fix? Cm7 is nice and stable for the Shift and that runs 2.3.

The Shift runs CM7 if you're not an idiot like me who had his Shift rooted and running CM7 and overclocked to 1.2ghz and then decided to RUU back to stock to see if the official Sprint Gingerbread release fixed some things... and now I'm stuck because there's no perm root for the Shift if you've got stock 2.3 on it!
I absolutely loathe my phone now, I hope there's perm root soon because it's just so clunky now :(

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

900ftjesus posted:

4.5" isn't a big deal, just shrink the bezel a bit and it's the same size as a 4.3" phone. Being a bigger display, it's really too bad it's not qHD (and that it's Samsung).

EDIT: Bexel is not a word, bezel is.

What is the deal with the rumored HD screen they are doing for the new Nexus?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Just made the switch to Sprint and got my EVO 3D last weekend. It's going to be a tough choice between the EVO 3D and the Galaxy SII though.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Does the EVO 3D run on the same batteries and stuff? I have the EVO right now and got the extended battery and case making it awesome, would hate to lose that to upgrade for just some goofy 3D (that I really want anyway).

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

AxeManiac posted:

Does the EVO 3D run on the same batteries and stuff? I have the EVO right now and got the extended battery and case making it awesome, would hate to lose that to upgrade for just some goofy 3D (that I really want anyway).

The batteries are different.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rebooted my phone (Nexus S) and the 3G returned. Weird. Keeping an eye on this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AxeManiac posted:

No, and just to mention the 3D really isn't about 3D, its more the processor is dual core, 1gb of ram, better resolution, etc. Phone is ridiculously fast.

Epic touch is still a Samsung.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Duckman2008 posted:

No, and just to mention the 3D really isn't about 3D, its more the processor is dual core, 1gb of ram, better resolution, etc. Phone is ridiculously fast.

Epic touch is still a Samsung.

Yeah, but I just want to take stupid 3D pictures, sounds like fun and if it boots and loads a little faster, all the better. I might wait a few months until my upgrade kicks in however. Seems like there is no rush to jump to it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What he said. The Evo 3D is pretty drat fast and the screen is gorgeous. Even if you never use the 3D feature once, it's a drat good phone. Takes some pretty great low-light photos too thanks to the bright-as-gently caress flash.

(the 3D poo poo is pretty cool though)

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 31, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone having problems with 3G in Omaha, NE? I'm not even getting a 3G icon.

Omaha 3g sucks balls period. Go into any drat store and you lose coverage.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

Omaha 3g sucks balls period. Go into any drat store and you lose coverage.

I've had that happen at Kmart way too much, but then again almost every phone I've had lost a signal at Kmart.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Even though the 3d is a great phone and all, I'm still having app withdrawal (not to mention I've probably dropped a lot on the app store). Might jump ship to the iphone after my contract's up next summer. It should be out by then, right??????

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What happens when you dial 1#?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

change my name posted:

Even though the 3d is a great phone and all, I'm still having app withdrawal (not to mention I've probably dropped a lot on the app store). Might jump ship to the iphone after my contract's up next summer. It should be out by then, right??????

Right!!!!!!!

It's supposed to come out in October.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, but I just want to take stupid 3D pictures, sounds like fun and if it boots and loads a little faster, all the better. I might wait a few months until my upgrade kicks in however. Seems like there is no rush to jump to it.

Having owned both, definitely not worth an out-of-contract upgrade. Once you're eligible, it's arguably worth it for the gorgeous high-res screen, larger stock battery (with significantly better actual battery life), and dual cores.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

My experiences with the same display on the Infuse:

1. Its big. The phone is slim, but definitely bigger than the EVO.

2. The display appears very low DPI and sucks for reading text, especially on a white/grey background. The text is very pixelated and definitely needs to be bumped up more than it should be because of the pixelation.
3. Because it is OLED, (or S-AMOLED whatever), it sucks tons of juice on white, so they have it darken when the screen is mostly white. Makes colors shift and it just looks bad.

That's really disappointing to hear about the screen. If they weren't going to do qHD, they should have just stuck with the 4.3" screen that AT&T is getting.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Sprint is up 6% with the tmobile news.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Sprint is up 6% with the tmobile news.

What news do you speak of exactly?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The government is filing to block the T-mobile merger.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

From AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA (maybe not!).

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Ralphus posted:

The Shift runs CM7 if you're not an idiot like me who had his Shift rooted and running CM7 and overclocked to 1.2ghz and then decided to RUU back to stock to see if the official Sprint Gingerbread release fixed some things... and now I'm stuck because there's no perm root for the Shift if you've got stock 2.3 on it!
I absolutely loathe my phone now, I hope there's perm root soon because it's just so clunky now :(

This is pretty much me. I went from 100% satisfied with my Shift to hating it so much that I bought an off contract Evo 3d. No clue how the gingerbread update managed to mess up so many things.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
After trading an Evo for a Shift I don't think I'll buy a non-flagship phone again. At least I get my premier upgrade in 3 months.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I got burned by buying the Samsung Moment when it launched but I still want the Epic Touch :( I'm going to try my best to wait until people start finding its flaws this time.

Despite having an EVO, I don't want the 3D and the pentile screen on the Photon looks like poo poo. I'd like to hold out for the next Nexus but I'm not sure I can make it.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

datajosh posted:

I got burned by buying the Samsung Moment when it launched but I still want the Epic Touch :( I'm going to try my best to wait until people start finding its flaws this time.

I'm with you on this. I am nursing my Touch Pro 2 to last me another few months at least. When I saw the comparison of the Evo3D with the SGII on YouTube, I was blown away by how much faster the SGII was.

I have been eligible for my upgrade since 2009, but I have been holding off not wanting to have to touch my current SERO plan. I'm not happy about the thought of owning a 4G phone (paying the 4G fee) and never using anything besides 3G (unless I travel to a major city).

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

TheBlackMallard posted:

After trading an Evo for a Shift I don't think I'll buy a non-flagship phone again.

HTC fucks us over so we spend more on their more expensive phone. Small wonder that they're in no hurry to fix the problem.

Not like we have a whole lot of choice. :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tomguycot posted:

This is pretty much me. I went from 100% satisfied with my Shift to hating it so much that I bought an off contract Evo 3d. No clue how the gingerbread update managed to mess up so many things.

My fiances phone came with 2.2 and she was happy, then it wouldn't connect to the network anymore (bad radio?) and the replacement came with 2.3 :smith:

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Hate to bring up Google Voice again, but is there any way to make it so my Google Voice number just rings my phone? When I pick up calls from the Google Voice number, I get a prompt where I have to choose to accept the call or send it to voicemail. I'd prefer to keep my Sprint number fully-functional as well.

Thanks.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
^^ Check your Google Voice settings on your computer.

I have a question about TOL's and upgrades. So I'm looking to do a TOL of my SERO500 account. I've got someone who's interested, who doesn't have a Sprint account. What's the best way to do this?

Also, general TOL question - when would the party taking over the account be eligible to upgrade? Same date as I would have been, had I kept the account?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Blakkout posted:

Hate to bring up Google Voice again, but is there any way to make it so my Google Voice number just rings my phone? When I pick up calls from the Google Voice number, I get a prompt where I have to choose to accept the call or send it to voicemail. I'd prefer to keep my Sprint number fully-functional as well.

Thanks.

From the Google Voice page, Voice Settings>Calls>turn off Call Screening

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mark Larson posted:

^^ Check your Google Voice settings on your computer.

I have a question about TOL's and upgrades. So I'm looking to do a TOL of my SERO500 account. I've got someone who's interested, who doesn't have a Sprint account. What's the best way to do this?

Also, general TOL question - when would the party taking over the account be eligible to upgrade? Same date as I would have been, had I kept the account?

The buyer needs to get a tentative Sprint account created - account number but no plan. He can do this at a store or on the phone, if Sprint wants to sell him a plan he should just say he's getting a plan transferred to him.

The buyer needs to have a phone with a Sprint logo on it. Unlocked phones don't work on Sprint.

You then call Sprint, tell them you're transferring your plan to someone else, and have them conference with the buyer. He may be able to get his tentative account created at this point if he hasn't already. And he should be able to port his number as long as he isn't already on Sprint - if he is, he'd have to port out (e.g. be on Boost or Virgin briefly) then port back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

The buyer needs to get a tentative Sprint account created - account number but no plan. He can do this at a store or on the phone, if Sprint wants to sell him a plan he should just say he's getting a plan transferred to him.

The buyer needs to have a phone with a Sprint logo on it. Unlocked phones don't work on Sprint.

You then call Sprint, tell them you're transferring your plan to someone else, and have them conference with the buyer. He may be able to get his tentative account created at this point if he hasn't already. And he should be able to port his number as long as he isn't already on Sprint - if he is, he'd have to port out (e.g. be on Boost or Virgin briefly) then port back in.

Actually you can now (finally) port a number from Boost/Virgin to Sprint :toot: . It does literally take 5 days though. Personally, I would port to Google Voice anyway and just use that.