Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I'm at the Barett boss fight. Do I have to kill him or can I just tranq him to death?

You can tranq/stun-gun him to death, but bullets/explosions are arguably faster at killing him.

He dies either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
You can literally stun-lock him from around a corner if you have enough ammo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Holy Calamity! posted:

You can literally stun-lock him from around a corner if you have enough ammo.

Yeah I started doing that but I didn't know if that would be effective enough.

If I just blow him away, will that ruin my pacifist cheeb?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ahh, by getting as much XP as humanly possible before meeting him, I managed to get 2 Praxis Points upon meeting Zeke Sanders, and I can confirm you do indeed get a Casie Augmentation Interface for his social boss battle. Nice.

of course, I screwed it up as soon as I got it, somehow choosing exactly the wrong responses causing him to get the hostage killed.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

Pacifist - Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without anyone dying by your hand. (Boss fights do not count.)

So, nope. Murder away!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

Ahh, by getting as much XP as humanly possible before meeting him, I managed to get 2 Praxis Points upon meeting Zeke Sanders, and I can confirm you do indeed get a Casie Augmentation Interface for his social boss battle. Nice.

of course, I screwed it up as soon as I got it, somehow choosing exactly the wrong responses causing him to get the hostage killed.

Reload and get the enhanced reflexes aug and take down both him and the hostage.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

thetrin posted:

When you look at a door, there's a little tooltip that says how flimsy it is. It's right in front of you.

It will not be in front of you unless the door is unlocked, basically defeating the purpose.

Anyway, that doesn't mean locked doors can not be broken. Un-upgraded revolver takes about 8 shots? Max upgraded revolver takes only two. A single frag/mine work as well.

Still, point is you can no read on doors until you can actually interact with them. So unless you save/reload before each door you will need to trial/error which doors can be broken at all, because not ALL doors can be broken.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Just throw every corrosive/explosive barrel in the room at him. Kill him in less than thirty seconds without firing a single shot!

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Speedball posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvAe86KyWg

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I really wish the game had more social boss battles. They were consistently the most interesting and best-performed parts of the game, and after the halfway point they sort of just drop off until the end of the game. Kind of disappointing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hahaha, Everdraed you wonderful bastard. Guess who got a mention on the DX Facebook page?

Extropist
Apr 26, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

It just reinforces my theory that some other studio was in charge of everything regarding boss fights or something.

There's a video on the website talking about the 'making of' the bossfights (column 2, row 3 on the phase 3 of the http://deusex.com/facebook ). The boss fights were designed by GRIP Entertainment, http://www.gripent.com/index_files/AboutEN.htm . I see it as a sort of Carmack Effect, these guys probably know the tech in and out and so were in charge but when it comes to game design itself... well, they know what they like.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Finally got the game today, just finished the first mission and loving it, just a couple of questions:

How does the achievement for finishing the game without setting off alarms work? e.g. will I fail it if a guard sees me (is alarmed?), or does an alarm have to actually sound?

I'm attempting a no-kills, stealth run on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty on my first playthrough, any advice on what augs I should take first? (there are just so many to chose from!)

Does killing people with turrets count against the no kills achievement?

What is the best way for me to deal with bosses when I get to them?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

How far am I from finishing the game where I've gone back to Heng Sha and I'm trying to infilitrate the port at Heng Sha? I'm in the warehouse trying to plant the C4

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Pretty drat close, there's only two areas after that, though they're both fairly large.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Mr Burglar Man posted:

There's a video on the website talking about the 'making of' the bossfights (column 2, row 3 on the phase 3 of the http://deusex.com/facebook ). The boss fights were designed by GRIP Entertainment, http://www.gripent.com/index_files/AboutEN.htm . I see it as a sort of Carmack Effect, these guys probably know the tech in and out and so were in charge but when it comes to game design itself... well, they know what they like.
That video is an unbelievable chain of market-speak which boils down to "We made generic boss-fight that is equal for any type of gun you choose to fight with."

Which is great, except Deus Ex is more "Do you fight with guns?"
Any build not focused on gunplay suffered horribly in boss-fights and it showed badly, over and over.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MZ posted:

How does the achievement for finishing the game without setting off alarms work? e.g. will I fail it if a guard sees me (is alarmed?), or does an alarm have to actually sound?

Alarm has to actually sound.

MZ posted:

I'm attempting a no-kills, stealth run on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty on my first playthrough, any advice on what augs I should take first? (there are just so many to chose from!)

Cloak is great for stealth. You'll also want the one that makes your energy recharge faster. Ignore the ones that increase the amount of energy bars you have available, as only the first one recharges automatically. Two is enough. I also recommend Icarus for any playthrough.

MZ posted:

Does killing people with turrets count against the no kills achievement?

Yes. As does killing people in the tutorial where all they give you is an assault rifle and no takedowns.

MZ posted:

What is the best way for me to deal with bosses when I get to them?

Non-lethally, use the stun gun on all of them until they die. The first boss' weakness is throwing exploding barrels at him. If you have Praxis to spare (which you will), get the Typhoon augment and just use it for bosses. It makes them all a joke.

der bruder
Jul 9, 2007

Eat My Phở
I just finished Picus and it seems like everybody spilled their coffee trying to get out. Slobs!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

der bruder posted:

I just finished Picus and it seems like everybody spilled their coffee trying to get out. Slobs!

So, you're saying that they spilled their drink?

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Does anyone have any advice for this loving chore of a second boss? All the other advice on the internet seems to be 'Use the typhoon :smug:' but I don't have it, or any other lethal weapons for that matter, but there really doesn't seem to be any way of getting past her other than just blasting with my nonexistant guns. Thanks for deciding to be DOOM halfway through, game!

e: In fact, I tried grabbing a revolver from one of the cupboards in the room that they filled with weapons after they realised that they had no loving clue about game design, and shooting her with it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever?

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
For a game that's all about choice, they sure do like you to play it "the right way." And, of course, none of your choices matter until you end up in a room with four buttons. I was less let down by Dragon Age 2.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

boner meter posted:

Does anyone have any advice for this loving chore of a second boss? All the other advice on the internet seems to be 'Use the typhoon :smug:' but I don't have it, or any other lethal weapons for that matter, but there really doesn't seem to be any way of getting past her other than just blasting with my nonexistant guns. Thanks for deciding to be DOOM halfway through, game!

e: In fact, I tried grabbing a revolver from one of the cupboards in the room that they filled with weapons after they realised that they had no loving clue about game design, and shooting her with it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever?

The second boss can be a real pain in the rear end, especially if you aren't prepared. I basically shot her with my stun gun and then ran to the nearby weapon cupboards and grabbed the shotgun and all the ammo and just kept running around avoiding her until I got lucky.

losonti tokash posted:

For a game that's all about choice, they sure do like you to play it "the right way." And, of course, none of your choices matter until you end up in a room with four buttons. I was less let down by Dragon Age 2.

One of my biggest issues with the game is that, other than the boss fights where they come in handy, the game gives you no reason to use lethal weapons. You get half the experience that you would otherwise get for taking someone out non-lethally, and making the lethal takedown make noise for whatever reason completely ruins any use it has.

That said, I wouldn't at all compare my experience with this game to Dragon Age II. It has things I really disliked, but at least I enjoyed it when all is said and done. Dragon Age II was just a bad experience all around.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 1, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
How badly do you have to gently caress up as a person so that you don't have ANY of these by the end of Heng Sha:

1) a good weapon, even a fully modded 10mm pistol
2) typhoon
3) stun gun
4) use environment, physics items (PARTICULARLY FOR THIS BOSS)

If you systematically gimp yourself (including, apparently, your own imagination/observation, not anything to do with what you can toss on your particular Adam Jensen) then yeah, whoops, got stuck on the boss, god this game sucks!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

losonti tokash posted:

DXHR at least shot for the stars and reached space. Dragon Age 2 shot for the stars and exploded before takeoff.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Does Moores law apply to cybernetics?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ded posted:

Does Moores law apply to cybernetics?

Ask Gunther how he felt when Paul and JC showed up at UNATCO.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Rest in peace Big Rizzle.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Yeah, RIP.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

arioch posted:

If you systematically gimp yourself (including, apparently, your own imagination/observation, not anything to do with what you can toss on your particular Adam Jensen) then yeah, whoops, got stuck on the boss, god this game sucks!

Yeah, the boss fights have gotten almost universal criticism for no reason. loving crybaby scrubs, eh? :smug:

They're poorly designed, trial and error style fights in a game otherwise completely devoid of such situations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, RIP.

I think you mean:

Yeah, rip.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

boner meter posted:

That fight loving sucked. I hope you have cloak at least or your life is going to be hell. Use a heavy rifle (There's one in the stage somewhere, dodge her at a right angle when she lunges at you, then immediately cloak and circle strife around her while you unload until she runs away. Rinse repeat. Don't go into the outer circle or you'll break your keyboard when she blows up one of the things. Use the wallhacks to find her when she cloaks if you have it and you can get some cheap shots in as well. Mines are good too, there's some EMP mines and some templates in the lockers.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, the boss fights have gotten almost universal criticism for no reason. loving crybaby scrubs, eh? :smug:

They're poorly designed, trial and error style fights in a game otherwise completely devoid of such situations.

Yeah. Even if the boss fights aren't that difficult once you figure out a way to take care of them, they're still indefensibly terrible.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

DXHR at least shot for the stars and reached space. Dragon Age 2 shot for the stars and exploded before takeoff.

I feel like DA2's plot had major issues, but the underlying game was alright. DEHR had major plot issues by virtue of being a DE game, and the gameplay itself is generally really bad if you don't do it exactly the way the designers wanted you to. Then you throw in stuff like the dumbshit guard AI and the really really bad interface and it's just a mess.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

losonti tokash posted:

DEHR had major plot issues by virtue of being a DE game, and the gameplay itself is generally really bad if you don't do it exactly the way the designers wanted you to.

Are you doing a SNAKES AND CAKES ironic gimmick, or. This is a game where you can safely go through all of it, minus the boss fights, using a goddamn fridge as your primary weapon. It's probably the least restricted FPS in terms of level progression. :psyduck:

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Are you doing a SNAKES AND CAKES ironic gimmick, or. This is a game where you can safely go through all of it, minus the boss fights, using a goddamn fridge as your primary weapon. It's probably the least restricted FPS in terms of level progression. :psyduck:

But there's no reason to? The game basically punishes you for not being stealthy as gently caress, which sort of flies in the face of their whole "all approaches are equally valid." The fact that the stealth mechanics are stupidly broken and the level design isn't thought out at all just makes even playing it the right way an exercise in "oh my god this game is awful."

keefin and kel
Aug 27, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

losonti tokash posted:

But there's no reason to? The game basically punishes you for not being stealthy as gently caress, which sort of flies in the face of their whole "all approaches are equally valid." The fact that the stealth mechanics are stupidly broken and the level design isn't thought out at all just makes even playing it the right way an exercise in "oh my god this game is awful."

Dragon Age 2

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

losonti tokash posted:

That's a 'yes' to the question then. Good grief.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm hoping they were at least tacked on at the behest of Square Enix to make it more MGS-like or whatever, and not actually part of the developers original plan.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

boner meter posted:

Eh, I just ran away when she was cloaked, shot her with with my stun gun and threw grenades at her as well as shooting her in the head with the guns lying around. I had plenty of painkillers and hypostims since I've been playing non-lethal stealth so the relatively minor damage I endured wasn't a problem.

I mean, the AI basically tells you what to do during that fight. It's pretty easy even on Hard.

Unless you feel that you, as a stealth character, should have the ability to run up to the boss and win a straight up fight. In which case, the problem is really you.

As usual, the real issue with the bosses is how they're introduced with a cutscene that pretty much goes "Here you go! A Boss Fight (TM) from nowhere!"

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

That's a 'yes' to the question then. Good grief.

Nope, sorry, no gimmick. Game is mediocre at best, full of bizarre and idiotic design choices like man-sized vents that don't have a layout that makes any sense, or fully armed spec ops soldiers carrying a max of 5 bullets for an assault rifle. Couple that with nothing you do matters even within the game itself, and it's just depressing that a sequel to this will get made while Alpha Protocol gets shat on by the gaming press because they didn't spend enough money on game reviews.

I particularly like how they basically put no thought into most of the world itself, like how you can knock a guy out by shooting his mechanical arm with a tranq dart (or breaking it somehow disables him) or that there's payphones and newspaper kiosks all over the place. They were busy cramming in more stupid conspiracies.

• Locked thread