Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

Just finished P3P as a male. I saw no fingerfucking or pedophilia. what the heck are you talking about?

Pedophilia is in the female route, and I guess you didn't do Aigis' s link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

I thought, "Heh, lookit these nerds" was your schtick. :confused:

Makes me wonder why the Legends 3 fan participation thing was dumb enough to be poo poo on a dozen times over in the 3DS thread, but pandering to the lowest common denominator with stupid, creepy poo poo like a dumb anime robot who fawns over the player character or near naked grade schoolers is sound business worth defending and getting huffy about.

HarveyVdarski, you max out Aigis' social link for that to happen. It's as cringe-worthy as it sounds.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
Can anyone explain exactly what's going on in the bath house scenes? I assume they're actually naked and the towels are just censorship, but is everything else just a loving lie? I get that it's a common trope for the dudes to be accidental perverts or whatever, so I can only guess they don't REALLY divide it up into male hours and female hours.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit, I'm kind of creeped out that "Six year old standing completely unremarkably in a towel" somehow is coming across as sexual to people. I guess I'm just not seeing this immense fanservice based on the screenshot.

Yeah, I don't immediately see that picture as fanservice though I guess I can sorta see why others would.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FINALmasa posted:

Can anyone explain exactly what's going on in the bath house scenes? I assume they're actually naked and the towels are just censorship, but is everything else just a loving lie? I get that it's a common trope for the dudes to be accidental perverts or whatever, so I can only guess they don't REALLY divide it up into male hours and female hours.

According to friends who've actually been to them, they're not really this big weird deal. Some are segregated and some are communal and it's really only kind of weirdos who make a big deal over it because most people just want to enjoy a nice warm relaxing social environment. Sort of like a sauna is here. Some places do have different hours for different sexes and such, that isn't made up but to my understanding they're pretty drat rare. The towels thing also apparently depends on the place you go although I know less about that.

Literally the only person I know who went to Japan and made a big deal out of going to a hot spring was a gigantic goony goon who freaked out at the thought of being naked around other men and refused to go in and instead sat in the car for the entire time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 1, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Someone called Marie's outfit fanservicey, so I'm pretty sure the definition of fanservice gets pretty general depending on the person.

Also, the Aigis scene is not "robot fingerbanging," it is "intertextual reference." Clearly the author wanted to remind the player of a similar scene in Chobits and :anime:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Perfect Potato posted:

Makes me wonder why the Legends 3 fan participation thing was dumb enough to be poo poo on a dozen times over in the 3DS thread, but pandering to the lowest common denominator with stupid, creepy poo poo like a dumb anime robot who fawns over the player character or near naked grade schoolers is sound business worth defending and getting huffy about.

HarveyVdarski, you max out Aigis' social link for that to happen. It's as cringe-worthy as it sounds.
Ha ha ha oh man I just looked up a video of that cutscene. That's ridiculous.

I'm not terribly bothered by the innuendo and sexual content of the games because it's miles less explicit than, say, American Pie or Superbad or any movie where the characters are meant to be high schoolers. I don't think Nanako in a towel is overly creepy either since her character isn't sexualized in any way during the game. It seems innocent enough to me.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010
The bath part of the game is where the girls talk about how smooth and milky Naoto's skin is and how she doesn't have any flab. They start feeling her up and stuff too if I'm remembering correctly. That's why I was rolling my eyes at that screenshot and wondering if they were going to fanservice it up some more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aquans posted:

The bath part of the game is where the girls talk about how smooth and milky Naoto's skin is and how she doesn't have any flab. They start feeling her up and stuff too if I'm remembering correctly. That's why I was rolling my eyes at that screenshot and wondering if they were going to fanservice it up some more.

That is exactly what happened in that scene.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I'm seriously more creeped out by the people who think that Nanako is all sexed up because she's at a hot spring than I am by anything Atlus has actually done.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

I'm not terribly bothered by the innuendo and sexual content of the games because it's miles less explicit than, say, American Pie or Superbad or any movie where the characters are meant to be high schoolers. I don't think Nanako in a towel is overly creepy either since her character isn't sexualized in any way during the game. It seems innocent enough to me.

I'm with you pal. Frankly I'm a little shocked that people have taken all this stuff to mean that it's some jizz soaked fan-boy altar to jailbait or something. poo poo, I took all those scenes to be about as raunchy as the boys raiding the girls cabins at summer camp. Pretty innocent stuff. I guess I'm glad it never came off as anything lascivious, but thanks for freaking out over nothing, creepy internet people.

BUT!

Aegis's "FINGER MY COM-PORT" scene. That's pretty gratuitous.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Pedophilia is in the female route, and I guess you didn't do Aigis' s link.

I just looked that poo poo up. WHAT THE gently caress?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
For the record I think the Aigis max S.Link smacks more of Atlus having fun with the idea of a robot girlfriend rather than aiming for genuine titillation.

EDIT: Then again it is an addition made to the FES release, which has like a ton of fanservice injected directly into it so maybe not.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 1, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

hey guys remember two pages ago when we were all excited about cool new video games

e: except for Technique

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 1, 2011

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I am distressed whether to wait for P4G or buy the original now. When's the Vita coming out?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They release in Winter and it'll probably be a while before Golden is translated.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Strange Matter posted:

I am distressed whether to wait for P4G or buy the original now. When's the Vita coming out?

November-December in Japan. As early as March 2012 Internationally.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Strange Matter posted:

If you're planning on eventually getting a Vita anyway, it's pretty much pointless to get the original now.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Krad posted:

If you're planning on eventually getting a Vita anyway, it's pretty much pointless to get the original now.

I disagree. Right now you have ample time to play one of the best JRPGs ever made and then have a great excuse later to do so all over again!

I pretty much did the same thing with P3FES. I would have wound up replaying the original game regardless, but it just gave me a better reason to do so.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No seriously, just buy the better version later.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

What? And miss the opportunity to say you played the game before they added in all the full frontal hentai sauna scenes to appease the neckbeard masses?

e: drat it, I better say I was being facetious, because Internet.
If you really want to play the game now, you should. If the content they add is comparable to the previous remakes, it will not make for a drastically different game. Though probably a slightly better one.

C-C-C-C-Combo Edit: I also feel that I should add that I have played through Persona 4 twice now and I will absolutely be picking up the Vita version, so take that for what it's worth.

Dog Toggle Switch fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 1, 2011

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

I disagree. Right now you have ample time to play one of the best JRPGs ever made and then have a great excuse later to do so all over again!

I pretty much did the same thing with P3FES. I would have wound up replaying the original game regardless, but it just gave me a better reason to do so.

Persona 4 is long, but it's pretty much made for multiple playthroughs. I don't think you'd be able to see all the non-main-plot-content unless you were sperging it out with a bunch of guides.

I also really, really love Persona 4 and want to get as many people as possible to play it.

ETA:

HarveyVdarski posted:

I just looked that poo poo up. WHAT THE gently caress?

The Aigis max rank scene or the Ken one? And if it was the Ken one, did you happen to see the video with the translation of the original Japanese, or the English version? :razz:

Catalina fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 1, 2011

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

tooooooo bad posted:

hey guys remember two pages ago when we were all excited about cool new video games

e: except for Technique

Liar, nobody in this thread would be capable of getting excited over any new game except for a hypothetical SMT4.

...and then only if it came out on on the Super Famicom.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey I want a new Raidou game dammit, I need those sideburns in my life again.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

At one point I firmly believed that they were remaking Nocturne for the 3DS.
But it must have just been a dream I had.

...a beautiful, beautiful dream... :gbsmith:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

gtrmp posted:

Liar, nobody in this thread would be capable of getting excited over any new game except for a hypothetical SMT4.

...and then only if it came out on on the Super Famicom.

Uh, wasn't Strange Journey supposed to be SMT4?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah i'm pretty sure Atlus has said as such.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay guys, the portal is up.

http://p-atlus.jp/

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

I could understand that, but at this point, is there even a core SMT series of games? And if so, what is the defining aspect? I guess Nocturne and Strange Journey adhere to the whole "post-apocalyptic world over-run by demons" motif, but then again... there is that MMO...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I could understand that, but at this point, is there even a core SMT series of games? And if so, what is the defining aspect? I guess Nocturne and Strange Journey adhere to the whole "post-apocalyptic world over-run by demons" motif, but then again... there is that MMO...

Post-apocalyptic world overrun by demons. The main character has the ability to talk to and summon demons for one reason or another, and at the end, something will happen based on his choices (Law, Chaos, or gently caress everyone he's doing his own thing usually. Nocturne switched that up a little bit.)

I'm really hoping for another core SMT game, except this time not on a portable. I want them to outdo Nocturne drat it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Baalster posted:

Okay guys, the portal is up.

http://p-atlus.jp/

I assume that smug P4 protag. is pretty much how Atlus feels about people endlessly whinging on about Persona games. :smug:

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

I want them to outdo Nocturne drat it.

My concern is (and it's a pretty minor concern, given the subject matter) is that they've hit upon such a success with the Persona series on the consoles that we're likely to not see a "true" SMT game outside of the portables. You look at the DS and you have Strange Journey, the kick-rear end Etriann Odyssey series and Dark Spire and it's pretty evident where they're keeping their "hard-core" line.
I, like you, would likely kill a man in cold blood for a current gen, legit SMT game, but I think consumers have shown them where they're willing to throw their money. And it ain't where we want it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

My concern is (and it's a pretty minor concern, given the subject matter) is that they've hit upon such a success with the Persona series on the consoles that we're likely to not see a "true" SMT game outside of the portables. You look at the DS and you have Strange Journey, the kick-rear end Etriann Odyssey series and Dark Spire and it's pretty evident where they're keeping their "hard-core" line.
I, like you, would likely kill a man in cold blood for a current gen, legit SMT game, but I think consumers have shown them where they're willing to throw their money. And it ain't where we want it.

Good thing I don't have to buy their anime dating games, then. I played P3P and realised that no, this isn't for me. I don't feel a need to get P4 either. I'm grabbing the IS remake and EP if they ever decide to give us it, but I'm sure not getting their next P3/4 rehash.

Turns out that as a consumer I don't actually have to give a company my money. If Atlus wants to pander to Japanese neckbeards that's their prerogative, but I am in no way obligated to give them my money to keep making games I don't want. And if they're going to turn into Gust the least they could do is give us Gust's awesome music.

This entire thing is making me super-grumpy. I guess I'm just annoyed to see another game company almost perfectly follow Square's path post-FFVII.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

This entire thing is making me super-grumpy. I guess I'm just annoyed to see another game company almost perfectly follow Square's path post-FFVII.

If games like Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey Strange Journey and the gameplay parts of Catherine are "following Square's path" then I'll be perfectly happy with them to continue that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MarsDragon posted:

Good thing I don't have to buy their anime dating games, then. I played P3P and realised that no, this isn't for me. I don't feel a need to get P4 either. I'm grabbing the IS remake and EP if they ever decide to give us it, but I'm sure not getting their next P3/4 rehash.

Turns out that as a consumer I don't actually have to give a company my money. If Atlus wants to pander to Japanese neckbeards that's their prerogative, but I am in no way obligated to give them my money to keep making games I don't want. And if they're going to turn into Gust the least they could do is give us Gust's awesome music.

Regardless of your knee jerk reactions over silly new content, the Persona games are actually pretty solid RPG's with Atlus exceptional gameplay mechanics firmly in place.

Hell you don't even have to do the social link aspects if you don't feel like it, I just don't get the whole "lol persona is an anime dating sim" crap, they have a lot more going than that.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 1, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

MarsDragon posted:

Woah woah woah let's not say things we can't take back. Square actually makes new models for their monsters with every game they make.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I wish they would take out the annoying dungeon crawling parts of the Persona games and just leave me with my anime dating game already.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

tooooooo bad posted:

I assume that smug P4 protag. is pretty much how Atlus feels about people endlessly whinging on about Persona games. :smug:

Atlus Co. has absolutely no idea what western players think or want, nor do they care.

At least I feel better knowing these forums are slightly better than the ones on Atlus USA's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Catalina posted:

Persona 4 is long, but it's pretty much made for multiple playthroughs. I don't think you'd be able to see all the non-main-plot-content unless you were sperging it out with a bunch of guides.

I'm actually kind of annoyed that if I pick up P4G I probably still won't be able to pick all those "you need to be on NG+ to choose this dialog option" choices since I'd be starting afresh with a new file. Atlus :argh: