Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Never trust leprechauns guys, they'll steal all your sticks! Lol!
(10 minutes of that was too much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Every time I get linked to this guys videos I'm pissed because I just gave him a view. He....I dunno he just pisses me off. He tries way to hard to have a personality. It's horrible and sad all at once.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

Seriously who the gently caress are these people and where do they have the time/aspergers level of skill and visualisation to pull this poo poo off

The interesting thing about his vs. the 3d color printer is that the 3d printer is extremely abstract and simply theoretical, while the minecraft computer/machine is a much more accessible device, like an actual machine designed for people to walk around in it and maintain it. If you look closely each major section, he has lit hallways (even includes a rail system to get to the heart of it!) and he makes good use of glass blocks to make things more visible. Everything is color coded. Systems are easily distinguished and well laid out. You could imagine this being in some sort of zany minecraft factory somewhere, with tens of men running around working on this thing.

The color printer guy on the other hand, he has everything in sandstone blocks on a sand background. It's a mess. Everything looks the same, you can't figure out where one subsystem ends and the next begins without physically tracing wires. It works, but everything is vertical and extremely compact, difficult to get at, he doesn't include many debugging systems baked in to the system. Once it works, it works, but god help you if something's broken deep in the center of that color wool block repository.

Somewhere in the depths of Intel, nVidia and IBM's respective HR departments, they've made files for both of these guys, and will probably offer them jobs when they graduate college. The minecraft in minecraft guy will probably be offered a higher starting salary though.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Hadlock posted:

Somewhere in the depths of Intel, nVidia and IBM's respective HR departments, they've made files for both of these guys, and will probably offer them jobs when they graduate college. The minecraft in minecraft guy will probably be offered a higher starting salary though.

I'll bet you $100 Real World Dollars that no, major tech companies are not watching redstone videos to recruit people, and that no, these people will not get offered sweet tech jobs solely because of their minecraft youtube videos.

Not to say that I'm unimpressed by these redstone things—some of them are wild! But that's like saying architecture firms are watching LEGO forums for talent.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

I'll bet you $100 Real World Dollars that no, major tech companies are not watching redstone videos to recruit people, and that no, these people will not get offered sweet tech jobs solely because of their minecraft youtube videos.

Not to say that I'm unimpressed by these redstone things—some of them are wild! But that's like saying architecture firms are watching LEGO forums for talent.

True, but probably wouldn't hurt to show such projects off if you where applying for such jobs.

Then again, what the hell do I know about the electrical engineering field?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 1, 2011

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I'm coming back to Minecraft after a few weeks or months and reading about the upcoming changes is getting me excited. The changes to the geography I find most striking. Don't the rivers and huge biomes look fantastic? When I carve out an epic mountain fortress, I want to look through my merlons toward an icy tundra and feel the biting cold stinging my cheeks. Massive biomes will make it so. I don't want to see a sunny beach fourty blocks over. Our desert ghost-towns will have a much truer desolate atmosphere and our forest-bound log cabins, tucked under the stoic gaze of the grey cliffs will forever be made more charming as it sits beside a winding blue river, carving its snake trail beyond the local horizon and out into the ocean.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

DaftPVF posted:

This guy built minecraft in minecraft! :w00t:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnO1QZJ--M

And here's the video of him explaining how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkGjIcV28A

This makes me want to finally try out all this redstone stuff. Is there some mod that makes it easier to do things, like having your supply of mats never run out, and maybe some space clearing tools?

(would be nice if it would work with the yogbox pack so I don't have to deal with multiple installs)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Danith posted:

This makes me want to finally try out all this redstone stuff. Is there some mod that makes it easier to do things, like having your supply of mats never run out, and maybe some space clearing tools?

(would be nice if it would work with the yogbox pack so I don't have to deal with multiple installs)

Think there's a mod that allows you to make single block logic gates somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure. I know there's a number of mods for redstone convenience. I would look around for you, but I've acquired a burning hatred for those forums and only ever go there if I'm forced to.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
If you want unlimited materials, use TooManyItems. If you want to clear out huge spaces, use SinglePlayerCommands + WorldEdit (or use MCEdit to edit worlds outside of Minecraft, which is a bit easier). Use zombe's mods to fly. RedPower is the single-block gates mod with better wires and LED's. SPC technically has flying and item mods built in, but they're clunky and awkward to use compared to the other two.

TooManyItems:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/140684-173-toomanyitems-in-game-invedit-july-1/

Single Player Commands/WorldEdit:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/94310-173-single-player-commands-v210-2/

Zombe's Modpack:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91055-v173-zombes-modpack-26-mods-v433-upd-1sep/

RedPower:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/365357-173-eloraams-mods-redpower-v171-integrated-redstone-now-redpower-logic-redstone-pipe/

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

So has anyone made any Yogbox adventure maps yet? The elemental arrows and Pfaeff's jump pads and allocators are particularly promising. They add some more interesting puzzle solving elements.

I've only come up with a few things so far and some are pretty basic like using ice arrows to make an obsidian bridge across lava, but there are some neat mechanical things to do too.

One is a sacrificial fountain for opening piston doors. A spring dropping down a shaft to a sign can drop items directly on a pressure pad that triggers a pair of allocators. One allocator will absorb only pieces of pork (for example) while the other absorbs everything but pork, keeping the bottom pad clear. The one absorbing pork spits the pork on another pressure plate which triggers a piston door. I've made a couple doors like this with labels like "The fountain demands blood before the door will open" and they work beautifully.

Another pretty simple thing was using egg arrows to trigger distant stone pressure plates by spawning chickens. Satisfying!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
It appears it was too much for danyull to find a map program for the chain world, as it it's been nearly a week and i've yet to receive any emails from him, and as far as i know i'm supposed to have the chainworld now.

drat you danyull, stop being all goon project stereotype.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Frobbe posted:

It appears it was too much for danyull to find a map program for the chain world, as it it's been nearly a week and i've yet to receive any emails from him, and as far as i know i'm supposed to have the chainworld now.

drat you danyull, stop being all goon project stereotype.

Isn't it Estel's turn or whatever their name is??

The chain world has been running since he first posted about it, its just that nobody knows how to die and they can have a week (or more) with the dang thing.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I finished my turn on the first day after falling from the thing i was building. Even unfinished it was the best thing on the map :colbert:

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Yes, I too find holding the "shift" key to be difficult...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Skanky Burns posted:

Yes, I too find holding the "shift" key to be difficult...

If you've been playing Minecraft from the beginning, you'd remember the days of no crouching. :colbert: Hell I forget there's a crouch key from time to time, but that has to do more with the fact that I rarely play the game.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or, if you're like me, you've been playing since before crouching but find yourself holding shift while falling off ledges in other games. Good thing I save often. :downs:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Or you hold shift but for some reason it stops responding and you fall anyway even though you're still holding it.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Or you hold shift but for some reason it stops responding and you fall anyway even though you're still holding it.

This is the cause of most of my deaths on Minecraft.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So here it is, after 5 months and recovering from a corrupted save I've finally finished this prick of a map.

It's called the The Return and will be my last adventure map. 4eva

Here is a wanky trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOKR-V3tBpY

And some pictures:

The story posted:

After surviving the Temple of Trials and taking a branch from the Tree of Life you begin your voyage back to your homeland.

However, during your adventure The Temple told you your future. It predicted that you were to be ship wrecked in the Arctic.

...The Temple was right.

You now find yourself lost in the frozen wastes of a land unknown, ship wrecked...

Having no supplies, weapons or armour, your quest has now become more difficult.

If you haven't played my previous 2 maps (as the story in this one continues on from the last 2) I urge you do to so before playing this one.

Wizard Burgmund: http://www.mediafire.com/?7u1p4ynbp7gg3g4
Tree of Life: http://www.mediafire.com/?i1n9oi1f4k4x131

Readme stuff:
If you are going to be playing this map on a multiplayer server, please make sure that it is set up to use the Nether.

This time around there are no notes to read - instead ingame maps replace these notes.

Play time should take 60 mins (or there abouts)

Can be played with 1-2 players

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mthpe0mjlvtb22m UPDATED!..again...

Also, you might notice a sapling and some bone marrow in your inventory when you begin the game. DO NOT REMOVE THESE ITEMS - they are part of the story!

toggle fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 3, 2011

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

toggle posted:

If you haven't played my previous 2 maps (as the story in this one continues on from the last 2) I urge you do to so before playing this one.

Wizard Burgmund: http://www.mediafire.com/?7u1p4ynbp7gg3g4
Tree of Life: http://www.mediafire.com/?i1n9oi1f4k4x131

Oh my, you created the "Tree of Life" adventure map? It is so far the only "adventure" I've actually played and finished: Great job, it was a ton of fun. I'll definitely check out your new one!

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
My most common mistake while crouching is jumping. Instantly destroys and grip you had on a cliff. This mainly happens when placing half-blocks as you have to jump to place the second block.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone know the smallest space a ghast can spawn in? e.g. torches need to be spaced apart a max of 6 blocks on a grid to prevent monsters from spawning. I've noticed that ghasts will spawn in areas 10x10x10 underground before.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

toggle posted:

So here it is, after 5 months and recovering from a corrupted save I've finally finished this prick of a map.

It's called the The Return and will be my last adventure map. 4eva

Send an email to Hannah, Simon or Lewis of the Yogscast pronto. I need to see this.

(This is the closest I ever get to playing adventure maps myself:shobon: )

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

FidgetyRat posted:

My most common mistake while crouching is jumping. Instantly destroys and grip you had on a cliff. This mainly happens when placing half-blocks as you have to jump to place the second block.

Opening the item menu to while you're hanging off the edge of a block will cause you to fall too.

"Let's see how many dia—WHY AM I IN THE LAVA NOW?" :supaburn:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Jeb just tweeted this:

http://imgur.com/gpiiP?full&size=l

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there

Iacen posted:

Send an email to Hannah, Simon or Lewis of the Yogscast pronto. I need to see this.

(This is the closest I ever get to playing adventure maps myself:shobon: )

Tree of Life was so good, looking forward to this one

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Hopefully the vines aren't like leaves in that they die if they're not connected to wood. I desperately need something for the sides of my castle.

e: Just saw that they're not hanging off a tree. Nice.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

The Halogens posted:

Hopefully the vines aren't like leaves in that they die if they're not connected to wood. I desperately need something for the sides of my castle.

Judging from the image it is hanging off of dirt and not wood. One could safely assume it grows and hangs off the sides of dirt overhangs and would require dirt so it does not vanish, assuming they are just reusing the same block ID to make it transparent like leaves.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Is it alright to post adventure maps that use mods in this thread?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Jeb just tweeted this:

Are they messing with the biome shader? The grass between Jeb and the hanging garden makes a drastic change.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Arkitektbmw posted:

Are they messing with the biome shader? The grass between Jeb and the hanging garden makes a drastic change.

It is arguably one of the most well executed features for biomes. Why wouldn't they change it?!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Jeb just tweeted this:

The new terrain generation for whatever biome that is reminds me of infdev. This is a good thing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I haven't played minecraft for a year but updates are on friday, right? Have there not been updates on friday for a while?

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
Didn't see this posted in the last few pages, and it's hot off the press!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWyGGA0mLk

If you look closely, you can see a few particles resulting in landing the jump.

edit:

Krinkle posted:

I haven't played minecraft for a year but updates are on friday, right? Have there not been updates on friday for a while?

I think they release earlier in the week now to give themselves time to fix all the bugs that will inevitably result from the update.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Krinkle posted:

if you mean every friday, then not by a long shot. They usually update every few months, with 1 or 2 patches immediately afterwards to fix bad bugs. If there were updates every week there would never be time for mods to be updated.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Krinkle posted:

they used to be, but now they release one every month or so

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Actually I think those particles are from running and look to be just the particles from when you are hitting a block. if you look near the start of the video, when he runs and turns around there are a few dirt block particles left behind him, and on the stone blocks are stone particles. It'll help show other players when another is running instead of guessing if they are or not

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 2, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

with all the talk about 1.8 I thought it was going to be today :(
no word on when it is? Is it even an imminent thing or has it been imminent for weeks now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Jeb last tweeted that the estimated date is Sept 8th.