Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xanar
Feb 22, 2006
I've had my Filco with browns for about 2 months now and I still love it. I've also ordered the O rings.

I thought the whole point of mechanical keyboards having their actuation points before bottoming out meant that you wouldn't have to bottom them out and therefore less noise is made.

I am not sure if its just me but when I try to make a concious effort not to bottom out my keys, I succeed maybe around half the time. The other half I will either press too hard and bottom out anyway or I would not press hard enough and the key would not register. After 2 months of practice I still haven't got the hang of it and I still seem to type a lot faster on a laptop keyboard where I don't really have to pay attention to the strength of my strokes. I'm hoping the O rings will help me do the same with my Filco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xanar posted:

I've had my Filco with browns for about 2 months now and I still love it. I've also ordered the O rings.

I thought the whole point of mechanical keyboards having their actuation points before bottoming out meant that you wouldn't have to bottom them out and therefore less noise is made.

I am not sure if its just me but when I try to make a concious effort not to bottom out my keys, I succeed maybe around half the time. The other half I will either press too hard and bottom out anyway or I would not press hard enough and the key would not register. After 2 months of practice I still haven't got the hang of it and I still seem to type a lot faster on a laptop keyboard where I don't really have to pay attention to the strength of my strokes. I'm hoping the O rings will help me do the same with my Filco.
Yeah, I am making some weird typos, while I am learning the ropes, but more important than avoiding bottoming out, I don't make a lot of noise while typing.

Some keys never bottom out - mainly those on the right - while my F keys and to some degrees general keys do.

Using my volume keys (right alt, Windows key, and right-click menu) never bottom out when I use them which actually annoys me for some reason, which made the rubber rings perfect in that case.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Yeah, I am making some weird typos, while I am learning the ropes, but more important than avoiding bottoming out, I don't make a lot of noise while typing.

Some keys never bottom out - mainly those on the right - while my F keys and to some degrees general keys do.

Using my volume keys (right alt, Windows key, and right-click menu) never bottom out when I use them which actually annoys me for some reason, which made the rubber rings perfect in that case.

Uh what the hell? gently caress that noise, I slam my keyboard hard. The harder you press the more the computer will know you mean it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

redeyes posted:

Uh what the hell? gently caress that noise, I slam my keyboard hard. The harder you press the more the computer will know you mean it.
If you live alone or go to bed early, sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy cow, thanks for this! I just came in here to ask if there was a budget apple-alu style keyboard that I could get for on-campus use so I didn't have to spend $50 and here we are!

At $20 I might pick up two or three just because the chiclet keyboard has completely ruined me for typing on normal keyboards :smith:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I need a keyboard for my new HTPC for those rare occasions when I'm not just running things through an XBMC remote. Anyone have any experience with this guy?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Torael_7 posted:

I need a keyboard for my new HTPC for those rare occasions when I'm not just running things through an XBMC remote. Anyone have any experience with this guy?

I think someone was selling this in SA-MART. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434510 Someone is indeed selling one.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm going to ask my question here, since I'm sure you all have a good knowledge on the software part of keyboards and might be able to help out.

My modifiers stopped working. I mean the ' and ", which normally wait for you to either press the spacebar or a letter (' + e = é, for example) but don't anymore, which makes it tedious for me to use modified letters like é. I've looked but can't find anything helpful either online (my google skills are weak) or in the keyboard and language settings of Windows.

I can't help but feel I'm missing something very simple here and you'll be able to give me solution.

Should it matter, I'm on a Toshiba Sattelite P300D laptop with 32bit Vista.

e:
Apparantly my dad has the same problem, and he's still on XP.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 1, 2011

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Holy cow, thanks for this! I just came in here to ask if there was a budget apple-alu style keyboard that I could get for on-campus use so I didn't have to spend $50 and here we are!

At $20 I might pick up two or three just because the chiclet keyboard has completely ruined me for typing on normal keyboards :smith:

Order them ~right this second~ because dealextreme shipping takes like a month.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
McMaster-Carr will get you them cheaper than WASD: search for AS568A-008, 2bux/100. I think shipping is like $5 for small orders, so a larger buy might be worth it (I'm thinking of getting 300 for myself, since I might buy another kb for work).

edit: wtf quote get out

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Taeke posted:

My modifiers stopped working. I mean the ' and ", which normally wait for you to either press the spacebar or a letter (' + e = é, for example) but don't anymore, which makes it tedious for me to use modified letters like é. I've looked but can't find anything helpful either online (my google skills are weak) or in the keyboard and language settings of Windows.
Can you upload a screenshot of your Input Languages panel - the one that should look somewhat like this:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

40 OZ posted:

Order them ~right this second~ because dealextreme shipping takes like a month.

I'm probably going to pick up the other one listed in the thread, the Azio one, just because I can get it locally for this exact reason :)

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!
As someone looking for a decent backlit keyboard for the main purposes of gaming and typing up stuff for university, would a Razer Black Widow be a good idea? I love the sound and idea of mechanical keys, and to be honest, this sounds like it ticks all the boes.

The only other keyboard I've seen that has jumped out at me as being interesting was the Saitek Cyborg v7, but as far as I'm aware, that isn't a mechanical board.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Deadcell27 posted:

As someone looking for a decent backlit keyboard for the main purposes of gaming and typing up stuff for university, would a Razer Black Widow be a good idea? I love the sound and idea of mechanical keys, and to be honest, this sounds like it ticks all the boes.

The only other keyboard I've seen that has jumped out at me as being interesting was the Saitek Cyborg v7, but as far as I'm aware, that isn't a mechanical board.

I have a blackwidow, and I'm starting to notice the only real issue I have with it more and more: the keys are slightly cramped due to the macro buttons vs your standard 104 key layout.

Also, consider BW stealth if you're going to have roommates who may murder you for typing loudly all the goddamn time. (My roommate had a louder scissor-key laptop when I was in dorms, and I wanted to kill him for staying up every night until 1-2 typing, even when I had 8 am class)

edit: vv The Ultimate is, not the regular one, but yeah.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 1, 2011

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Deadcell27 posted:

Are you certain that the BW is backlit?

edit- Oh, it is, interesting.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
You can also wait for the Ducky Shine which is supposed to be imported by OCN sometime later this year. It has a much cleaner, simple look compared to BWU. And if you don't mind black switches, Mionix is also an option.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
What's the deal with The Keyboard Co's Amazon store? I just checked it and it has like, nothing on it. Are they backing out? This makes me really sad since this month is my 3 check month and I was wanting to get a tenkeyless Filco.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA104717BI2VJF7&field-keywords=&x=20&y=20

Deadcell27 posted:

Blue switches are going to be loud, and you'll want to take that into consideration if you have roommates. They'll also feel amazing to type on, so if you want a good typing experience and backlighting the BWU is the way to go. O-ring dampeners like people have been talking about above will help on the sound thing, maybe.

Another backlit consideration from Mionix, a company I only recently heard of but their mice get great reviews. http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=zibal60 This isn't going to feel great for typing, though.

There are also those Deck boards, but god drat are they ugly. It's a lot easier to just nix backlighting as a requirement since the choices are so slim. My nomination for comfortable typing is a Filco with Browns any day. Blues feel more satisfying, but they're also more fatiguing.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

glompix posted:

What's the deal with The Keyboard Co's Amazon store? I just checked it and it has like, nothing on it. Are they backing out? This makes me really sad since this month is my 3 check month and I was wanting to get a tenkeyless Filco.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA104717BI2VJF7&field-keywords=&x=20&y=20

Don't know personally, but I really want that blue keyboard with blue switches, it's been sitting in my cart for a couple weeks now.

But I just bought a filco with Browns 4 months ago =\

Risky
May 18, 2003

teraflame posted:

You can also wait for the Ducky Shine which is supposed to be imported by OCN sometime later this year. It has a much cleaner, simple look compared to BWU. And if you don't mind black switches, Mionix is also an option.

Ducky Shine is supposed be only black switches which kills it for me if it's true.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Risky posted:

Ducky Shine is supposed be only black switches which kills it for me if it's true.

OCN is getting it with blue and brown as well. They will probably be the only retailer with this option

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tedronai66 posted:

I have a blackwidow, and I'm starting to notice the only real issue I have with it more and more: the keys are slightly cramped due to the macro buttons vs your standard 104 key layout.

I just popped the keycaps off of the macro keys -- they still work, but don't screw up your muscle memory.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Thought you guys might like to know that Steelseries is running a sale right now with 30% of everything and 50% off Blizzard items.

This means their 7G keyboard is about $100 instead of $150 right now. Seems the 6Gv2 is sold out. Use the code "epic30"

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Loving my WASD with browns. It feels great (I'd been using generic Dell keyboards for the last several years). Lots of weight to it, too, so it doesn't slide around or shift. Overall, I good product, although I think that the $135 or whatever I paid is a bit too much, but, eh, it's a luxury product so I guess I can't bitch too much.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

Thought you guys might like to know that Steelseries is running a sale right now with 30% of everything and 50% off Blizzard items.

This means their 7G keyboard is about $100 instead of $150 right now. Seems the 6Gv2 is sold out. Use the code "epic30"

I'd be happy to buy a Steelseries keyboard if they hadn't had the stupid idea to hardware-disable their Windows key so you can't even rebind it with Autohotkey or such. I use that poo poo for shortcuts, people, and no I'm not going to mod it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Can you upload a screenshot of your Input Languages panel - the one that should look somewhat like this:

Here you go. Switching between inputs has no effect. :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

You need the US-International layout for '`~"^ to work as "dead keys" (i.e. that modify your next letter as appropriate to get éàñöî). The standard US and UK layouts don't have that, and I presume the Dutch one doesn't either.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
You're using the US keyboard for Dutch.
You want to go right ahead and click on the Dutch section, click Add, scroll down to Dutch (Netherlands), then expand Keyboard, and select Dutch (or if you want, US-International). Then remove the US keyboard from the Dutch language section your input languages.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much. :)

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I really wish I had a Best Buy near me that stocked the Razer Black Widow or Steelseries 7G. I've only ever tried keyboards with Cherry MX brown switches, and while I enjoyed it immensely, it's hard to justify taking an expensive plunge into buying a set of cherry mx blues or blacks.

I have a $50 gift card to Tiger Direct that has literally been gathering dust for the past two years. I realize I can use it to put a dent into purchasing from a relatively limited selection of mechanical keyboards, but it's hard to take the risk when there are some fairly mixed reviews on some of the models.

Any horror stories on the following models?

Adesso MKB-135B Pro
Adesso MKB-125B
SIIG JK-US0112-S1 (Fukka white alps?) (2KRO over ps/2 seriously gives me pause)
ThermalTake KB-MEK007US Meka
ThermalTake eSPORTS MEKA G1 (possibly unfounded reservations against cherry MX blacks for use in anything besides gaming - probably stemming from never having tried them)
And the gaudy Razers.

It seems the Razers and the Adessos both have some quality control issues stemming from being the same OEM. Are the reviews overblowing the build quality?

I'm leaning towards one of the Adessos but I'm not sure if I want to go with the more compact model or go with the standard layout featuring a usb hub and audio jacks. Both are rather tempting.

If I go with a set of cherry blues, I may end up ordering some O-rings from WASD if the noise proves to be too much.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has anyone tried the O-dampeners with MX Blues? How much does it reduce the sound?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

general chaos posted:

I really wish I had a Best Buy near me that stocked the Razer Black Widow or Steelseries 7G. I've only ever tried keyboards with Cherry MX brown switches, and while I enjoyed it immensely, it's hard to justify taking an expensive plunge into buying a set of cherry mx blues or blacks.

I have a $50 gift card to Tiger Direct that has literally been gathering dust for the past two years. I realize I can use it to put a dent into purchasing from a relatively limited selection of mechanical keyboards, but it's hard to take the risk when there are some fairly mixed reviews on some of the models.

Any horror stories on the following models?

Adesso MKB-135B Pro
Adesso MKB-125B
ThermalTake eSPORTS MEKA G1 (possibly unfounded reservations against cherry MX blacks for use in anything besides gaming - probably stemming from never having tried them)
And the gaudy Razers.

It seems the Razers and the Adessos both have some quality control issues stemming from being the same OEM. Are the reviews overblowing the build quality?

I'm leaning towards one of the Adessos but I'm not sure if I want to go with the more compact model or go with the standard layout featuring a usb hub and audio jacks. Both are rather tempting.

If I go with a set of cherry blues, I may end up ordering some O-rings from WASD if the noise proves to be too much.

On the Razer front the blackwidow actually feels like its built solidly, unlike everything else they make. I've even used it to swat spiders I've found in my room. :D

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Has anyone tried the O-dampeners with MX Blues? How much does it reduce the sound?

The noise in the blues comes more from the actuation than the bottoming out, so I'd guess it doesn't help much

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Megasabin posted:

It removes the bottoming out sound (The lower pitched *CLACK*) but keeps the actuation sound (the higher pitched *CLICK*) It's a noticeable reduction and the sound is much nicer, but I still wouldn't use mine at work. If the noise from bottoming out gets reduced at much on browns then browns would make about as much noise as a membrane.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

general chaos posted:

Adesso MKB-135B Pro
Adesso MKB-125B
And the gaudy Razers.

My 135's still holding up. (Also the 125s are only two-key rollover. The 135 is all the keys.)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

I'd be happy to buy a Steelseries keyboard if they hadn't had the stupid idea to hardware-disable their Windows key so you can't even rebind it with Autohotkey or such. I use that poo poo for shortcuts, people, and no I'm not going to mod it.
Is it actually hardware disabled or can you toggle it?

For example, the Ducky keyboards let you toggle hardware disable on the windows/context keys using a key combination.

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street
Alright, I am thinking of buying a IBM Model M keyboard. It looks awesome and I don't mind the sound too much. But, How does it feel? Is it solid and give awesome feedback like everyone says it does.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Khorne posted:

Is it actually hardware disabled or can you toggle it?

Hardware disabled, it doesn't send any signal to the computer at all (no scancodes). According to people on geekhack.org your best bet to get a functioning left Windows key is something like this poo poo.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just ordered a Leopold Cherry Brown. I'm picking it up this afternoon, so I guess I'll get to see how awesome it is :)

It's going to be SO MUCH NICER than my keyboard which is half of a Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo. I don't know the model, it was the cheapest one I could find when my old keyboard got wrecked.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

ZombieIsland posted:

Alright, I am thinking of buying a IBM Model M keyboard. It looks awesome and I don't mind the sound too much. But, How does it feel? Is it solid and give awesome feedback like everyone says it does.

I think it's better than a Das Keyboard, anyway. It was so loud that after using it for a few days I had to put on big ear-covering headphones, even though I wasn't listening to music. It's loud to the point that you might flinch in anticipation of using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Got my Leopold FC500R Cherry Brown.

:D

:dong:

:flashfap:

Oh My God. It's so loving nice. Seriously. If you were slightly wondering about maybe buying a mechanical keyboard, go and get one right the gently caress now. Cherry Brown switches are just loving right.

I'm going to type and type for hours.

• Locked thread