Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
What is the oldest card you guys own? I might pick up some cheap 1909 - 1912 cards just to have something from that era. eBay has a bunch of these cards for under $20 (poor quality, no-name players of course.)

The idea of owning a Walter Johnson or Tris Speaker card is crazy to me considering as a kid I thought those players were mythological beings or something with the kind of stats they put up. I'd love to save up for one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

WillBBC3 posted:

I'm right with you on both the 53 Mantle and Jackie. I was outbid on a Jackie about a month ago. I haven't been that frustrated at a sports card auction in years. Really, really pissed me off.

Every time a 53 Mantle pops up on Net54 I always take a look. When PSA 3s or 4s that have nice eye appeal show up for under a grand I always consider it. Both beautiful cards. I love the 53 set so much more than the 52s--and I like that set a lot, too.

The only 53 I don't like is the Whitey Ford. The ghost eyes freak me out.

I almost bought a PSA 2 Mantle that presented more like a 5 or 6 at the Philly show about a year ago. Still kinda regret that, but funds were tight at the time.

A 3 showed up on Net54 a couple of days ago in that price range, come to think of it.

Dan Hollis posted:

What is the oldest card you guys own? I might pick up some cheap 1909 - 1912 cards just to have something from that era. eBay has a bunch of these cards for under $20 (poor quality, no-name players of course.)

The idea of owning a Walter Johnson or Tris Speaker card is crazy to me considering as a kid I thought those players were mythological beings or something with the kind of stats they put up. I'd love to save up for one of those.

I own some T206s. This is the crown jewel of that collection, for the time being:

Speaker beaters show up for reasonable prices every now and again. Big Train goes for a bit more, although I do love that hands at chest pose.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I only started collecting again about two months ago, and only modern era. My oldest card is the 89 Fleer Bill Ripken gently caress Face.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The oldest baseball item that I own is a 1917 NY Yankees Player Contract, signed by first AL President (and HOFer) Ban Johnson, as well as Jacob Ruppert, longtime Yankees owner during the Ruth years. Unfortunately the player who's contract it is had like 3 MLB ABs.

Some other older items include a St. Louis Cardinals-era Branch Rickey signed letter, and a 1937 Red Sox team signed postcard (signed by guys like Jimmie Foxx, Eddie Collins, Tom Yawkey, Lefty Grove, Rick Ferrell, Bob Doerr, and Joe Cronin among others).

also have a 1932 certificate signed by first Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 2, 2011

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Wow...great card.

Do you know a good online source to research the value of these cards? I'm seeing T206's on eBay but no way of knowing if they are overpriced or not. The only online references I find are other auctions.

I have no interest in completing sets, but I wouldn't mind spending good money for a few nice pieces (something I can hopefully pass on to my children someday.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dan Hollis posted:

Wow...great card.

Do you know a good online source to research the value of these cards? I'm seeing T206's on eBay but no way of knowing if they are overpriced or not. The only online references I find are other auctions.

I have no interest in completing sets, but I wouldn't mind spending good money for a few nice pieces (something I can hopefully pass on to my children someday.)
Actual sales values are useful to get a price. I wouldn't rely on something outdated like Beckett, which hasn't been relevant since eBay came about.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I always thought the card market would crash if Beckett started listing actual sales values instead of 'retail' prices. 95% of packs are not worth what you get in them. Scratch off lottery tickets have better odds!

I understand the appeal of buying card packs to get that big hit though. But I feel much better putting together sets or collecting players.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boinks posted:

I understand the appeal of buying card packs to get that big hit though. But I feel much better putting together sets or collecting players.

That's where I focus as well. If I buy singles it's Reds autos and refractors/parallels, and when I'm buying boxes I focus on one set at a time, but I do like to put together a good number of sets a year if I can. I've been on a budget crunch lately, so I just finished off 2010 Bowman Platinum.

I've got a lot of that base sitting around if anyone needs some.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boinks posted:

I always thought the card market would crash if Beckett started listing actual sales values instead of 'retail' prices. 95% of packs are not worth what you get in them. Scratch off lottery tickets have better odds!

The card market pretty much died earlier in the last decade. It used to be that there would be like 40-50 baseball card sets released a year between all of the companies. Now only Topps has the rights to sell MLB licensed cards. Upper Deck is probably headed to bankruptcy at some point soon, Fleer's long gone and probably never coming back since the rights are owned by Upper Deck, and Donruss only exists as a brand from Panini that they release as a minor league set once a year.

I would also say that from anecdotal experience, the rise of things like eBay killed the neighborhood card shop. In my part of Miami we used to have like 3-4 local card shops before eBay got big. As soon as that happened, they all pretty much died off at once.

I mean in the late 1990s/early 2000s we had:

-Topps/Bowman
-Upper Deck/SP
-Fleer/Flair/Skybox
-Donruss/Leaf/Pinnacle
-Pacific
-Just Minors
-Team Best
-Classic

Now it's essentially:

-Topps/Bowman (only official license)
-Tristar (kind of, they've slowed down recently)
-Panini making some Donruss-brand products
-I guess also this new company called 'In the Game' (or ITG) that makes very high-end card sets

also I was just reading that there are no currently planned releases for any NBA card products due to the lockout.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 2, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Dan Hollis posted:

Use the eBay completed listings option and only look at ones in green (which are actual sales).

There's a pay site which essentially functions as the modern day Beckett called vintagecardprices.com which is pretty good.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean in the late 1990s/early 2000s we had:

-Topps/Bowman
-Upper Deck/SP
-Fleer/Flair/Skybox
-Donruss/Leaf/Pinnacle
-Pacific
-Just Minors
-Team Best
-Classic

I don't have my cards with me, but let's see what I can remember, for say, 1994, which was the last year I was really into collecting. Some may only be 1993, but after some time, it blurs.

Topps/Bowman/Traded/Stadium Club/Stadium Club team sets/Stadium Club Opening Day/Spanish (1993 also had full regular sets with emblems for inaugural Marlins and inaugural Rockies)
Upper Deck/Silver Signature/Gold Signature/Collector's Choice/Fun Packs
Donruss/Triple Play/Studio/Pinnacle
Score/Select/Traded/Gold Rush
Leaf/Leaf Black Gold
Fleer/Flair/10 billion little subsets, including Smoke & Heat, which had a Nolan Ryan card that was listed at $50 for some time. The Flair set was the biggest rip-off to exist at that time. Thick card stock, about five per pack, $3/$4 per pack, which at that time was ridiculous.
There was another Spanish set and I'm kicking myself trying to remember the name. It wasn't a usual set. Ah. Pacific Crown... I think.

For a time, I attempted to collect all Sid Bream cards. Even a player as mediocre as Bream had about 50 cards released that year.

I was trying to remember what my earlier card was. It seems like it's from 1947ish and I went to check Beckett as I had all my stuff listed there a few years ago. I understand them chucking my data as it's been a few years, but $30 just to store your card information? drat. I assume that doesn't include the price guide.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I bought 2 boxes after a 3 year hiatus and I think I remember why I stopped. It's addicting and not worth the money. My best hauls was an autograph of some Red Sox prospect that is 1-11 this year in Single A baseball and a Andres Torres autograph from the Giants. Yeesh.

If anything, I might buy singles or join group breaks or something. It's just not quite as fun as seeing what you might get, though.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

WillBBC3 posted:

I'm right with you on both the 53 Mantle and Jackie. I was outbid on a Jackie about a month ago. I haven't been that frustrated at a sports card auction in years. Really, really pissed me off.

Yeah, so like I said, this was bound to happen sooner or later...

It's a PSA 1.5 but I got it for about the VCP price on 1s. Other than the lovely corners it presents very well (I have to figure out why my scanner is washing out vibrance a bit at some point), decent centering and unlike almost every lower grade Jackie it doesn't have the card 1 problem of rubber band creasing. Very happy with how this looked.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I bought 2 boxes after a 3 year hiatus and I think I remember why I stopped. It's addicting and not worth the money. My best hauls was an autograph of some Red Sox prospect that is 1-11 this year in Single A baseball and a Andres Torres autograph from the Giants. Yeesh.

If anything, I might buy singles or join group breaks or something. It's just not quite as fun as seeing what you might get, though.

Just noticed this thread. I've "seen how the sausage is made," so to speak in terms of memorabilia and chase cards. I worked in the industry for a few years.

The one thing that is great about sports cards is on-cards autographs. So long as you're buying the actual card (as these get forged all the time), it's a good way to get a legitimate, affordable autograph.

I understand the desire to pull at the slot machine lever, but if you're looking at real value, you're better off buying anything else. If you want something to enjoy, you're better off buying old cards or buying whole, authentic pieces of sports mem. If you want a hobby and to be a member of a community, sports cards are just fine.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 10, 2011

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've always hated sticker autographs. They're lazy as hell and look awful.

The only thing worse is those cut signature cards where they don't fit the entire signature into the card 'window', or destroy a larger, more valuable piece to slap it on a card.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I have a bunch of nice cards from the old T-206 tobacco card series in a closet back at my house. I was in a baseball card phase for a while around a decade ago.

One of them is of Mordecai Brown.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have a bunch of nice cards from the old T-206 tobacco card series in a closet back at my house. I was in a baseball card phase for a while around a decade ago.

One of them is of Mordecai Brown.

Making this kind of post without giving us pictures should be bannable :colbert:

Especially when it's vintage!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
So, as stated I just joined a group break on blogtv for 36 dollars.

Got randomed the Washington Nationals.

Got a Strasburg rookie autograph :derp:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've always hated sticker autographs. They're lazy as hell and look awful.

The only thing worse is those cut signature cards where they don't fit the entire signature into the card 'window', or destroy a larger, more valuable piece to slap it on a card.

The clear ones aren't so bad most of the time.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

The clear ones aren't so bad most of the time.

Imagine a sticker auto baseball. Ridiculous, right? It's essentially the same thing.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Can anyone post some pics of how they display stuff? Dreaming about what to do with my balls/cards/misc. when Im not in a 400sq/ft apartment.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Deadbeat Dad posted:

So, as stated I just joined a group break on blogtv for 36 dollars.

Got randomed the Washington Nationals.

Got a Strasburg rookie autograph :derp:

Tell me more of this "group break on blogtv"

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Seconding this request.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

jeffersonlives posted:

Making this kind of post without giving us pictures should be bannable :colbert:

Especially when it's vintage!

I'm at school right now so I don't have access to them. :(

sdot
Jan 21, 2005

Almost Heaven

Antifreeze Head posted:

Jim Rooker, Pirates Pitcher and Broadcster, marked '81 on the back

My parents lived next door to him for a few years. He loaned his WS ring to me for a day which was awesome. I wore it to work.

I have about 5% of my old cards at my house and I was going through them a few weeks ago. I had no idea I had so many Roger Clemens cards.

I have a bunch of older stuff probably in my parents' basement or something.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Deathlove posted:

http://www.youtube.com/thettruth17 is the guy that did them, he's been doing it for years. I know there is others but he is the only one I follow.

Sometimes he'll post youtube videos of the cases or boxes hes breaking that night with a blogtv link and then once you join it he'll be on the webcam telling the people what hes breaking and lists the prices and stuff.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I'm guessing the original owner was a Red Sox fan.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Anyone pick up Topps Marquee yet? I dont really like the base cards but most of these are pretty sweet.

http://topprospectalert.com/2011/09/13/some-of-the-coolest-2011-topps-marquee-cards-to-surface/

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Dan Hollis posted:

Or Mickey picked up an addiction to colloidal silver to go along with his alcoholism

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

streetlamp posted:

Anyone pick up Topps Marquee yet? I dont really like the base cards but most of these are pretty sweet.

http://topprospectalert.com/2011/09/13/some-of-the-coolest-2011-topps-marquee-cards-to-surface/

I just did some research on this and is it true the real valuable cards have metal framing that allow hobby shops to identify the boxes that have them by using a metal detector and keep them away from suckers like me?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

streetlamp posted:

Sticker autos in a high end set like that is loving weak.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Yeah, but these shits are pretty bad rear end.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dan Hollis posted:

I'm guessing it was Al Jolson.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dan Hollis posted:

That 56 Topps Mantle is another great card. You know, without the pen.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dan Hollis posted:

I just did some research on this and is it true the real valuable cards have metal framing that allow hobby shops to identify the boxes that have them by using a metal detector and keep them away from suckers like me?

From what I've seen at my store, the Marquee cards are incredibly sweet. Best card that I've seen so far was a giant Johnny Mize bat, and a giant Fergie Jenkins jersey card with an attached autograph.

With all products, we usually keep all boxes sealed, or everything kept in the case. Marquee actually has four little boxes with a pack in each, inside a larger box. There's ways to try and weigh the boxes (which is why we don't let customers feel around those packs), but the best cards aren't always the thick ones.

For the metal things, card companies have typically made cards of precious metals as redemptions, so certain people don't just feel around for them. For stores, we're usually very careful of who we purchase boxes from. There's a couple times where we got burnt from loose boxes that had nothing big inside of them.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Kind of off topic, but I saw blown up 11x8 scans of Ken Griffey Jr's Fleer rookie and Barry Bonds' Topps rookie cards plastered to a telephone pole. Stared in awe for quite a while.

Meanwhile my immense collection of late 80s and early 90s cards may have a future as some sort of mosaic for my garage wall.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Can't believe the Hockey cards thread has twice as many posts as the baseball cards thread. That's just un-American.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Dan Hollis posted:

Why so serious? :haw:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Here's a Three Finger Brown T206 I picked up today:

And here's a first edition copy of one of the earliest baseball novels, Christy Mathewson's Won In The Ninth:

I also picked up my first 1955 Topps All-American Football - I think I might take a crack at that set - but I think that's slightly outside of this thread's purview...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

jeffersonlives posted:

Here's a Three Finger Brown T206 I picked up today:

And here's a first edition copy of one of the earliest baseball novels, Christy Mathewson's Won In The Ninth:

I also picked up my first 1955 Topps All-American Football - I think I might take a crack at that set - but I think that's slightly outside of this thread's purview...

Post it up! I've got the Michigan guys from that set.

• Locked thread