Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

CADPAT posted:

Someone was telling be that their parents threw out a huge bin of Lego.

Sadness.
My stepfather told me that I was too old for LEGO and it was time for them to go in the attic.

What I didn't know at the time was that this was code for "put them in attic so that I can go up there, grab them, and give them away." None of my childhood toys are mine anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
My son just started school today, and after he came home he was mad because it doesn't have any lego in the classroom, the thing is he remembers that we took him to see another school and that one had lego as one of the toys. So he's asking to go to that school instead.....

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I just got this for $2 at a yard sale http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=20016-1

I'm sad I didn't pick up the rest. They were all neatly bagged in ziplock bags with the instructions by a very polite young child. Though it was missing exactly one piece. (a grey cone) I really want to get a bunch of the mini star wars classic sets now.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
20$?!?!? Holy crap, I picked those up for like 5$ two years ago. Had I known I would've kept those bad boys stashed for a while.

Still have all the parts and the instructions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shares? Bitcoins? No, investing in LEGO is the future.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

CADPAT posted:

20$?!?!? Holy crap, I picked those up for like 5$ two years ago. Had I known I would've kept those bad boys stashed for a while.

Still have all the parts and the instructions.

(0 Bids)

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007
So, this thread made me get back into Lego for the first time in... it's got to be almost fifteen years at this point.

I kinda went mad - bought a bunch of City vehicles, the alien invasion tripod, and a few more alien invasion vehicles...

I'm unsure what I should get next. I'm thinking it's high time I got a building to go with my vehicles... Any suggestions?

I just got £600 out of the blue so I'm not exactly trying to save money right now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yuki Akuma posted:

I'm unsure what I should get next. I'm thinking it's high time I got a building to go with my vehicles... Any suggestions?

I just got £600 out of the blue so I'm not exactly trying to save money right now.

Well, any Lego fan will recommend the modular buildings such as:

The Grand Emporium

Fire Station

Pet Shop

I want all three and if I had 600 quid suddenly fall in my lap, one of those would definitely be a treat for myself.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

einTier posted:

My stepfather told me that I was too old for LEGO and it was time for them to go in the attic.

What I didn't know at the time was that this was code for "put them in attic so that I can go up there, grab them, and give them away." None of my childhood toys are mine anymore.

I passed mine on to my nephew, and his mother promptly sold the entire massive collection at a yard sale. I'll never forgive her for that.

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Well, any Lego fan will recommend the modular buildings such as:

The Grand Emporium

Fire Station

Pet Shop

I want all three and if I had 600 quid suddenly fall in my lap, one of those would definitely be a treat for myself.

Oh, those look nice.

... I probably shouldn't but all of them...

But the temptation is there...

...Yeah I'll buy the Pet Shop, I think. Should look nice on my desk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yuki Akuma posted:

Clearly, 300 Spartan minifigs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yuki Akuma posted:

Good call. I like the Brownstone that comes with the Pet Shop. There's something very Chicago-like about them side by side like that.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Yuki Akuma posted:

Oh, those look nice.

... I probably shouldn't but all of them...

But the temptation is there...

One thing to keep in mind is that the Pet Shop is the most recent addition to the modular series, having come out in May 2011, so it'll be around for at least another year and a half on shelves. If you find yourself really liking this series, it would be a good idea to pick up the Fire Brigade, as that is near the end of its life cycle, which should be somewhere between this November and January, as the Green Grocer did last year. Once they're gone, they get EXPENSIVE: Cafe Corner

Also, I highly recommend the yearly Winter set! Two years ago they did the Winter Toy Shop. Last year it was a Winter Bakery, and this year will be the Winter Post Office. All are designed with a very Christmas/holiday oriented, charming feel, and in addition to the main building include additions like an ice-skating pond, Christmas tree stand, horse-drawn carriage and others. They also play well into the ideal block-to-dollar ratio, of paying roughly 10¢ a brick (The modular series is also in that ideal range). You can still purchase the bakery, the toy shop will return to stores in about a month the way it did last year and the post office will be out on October 1st. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You can still buy the Winter Toy Shop on the UK site: http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Winter-Toy-Shop-10199

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I passed mine on to my nephew, and his mother promptly sold the entire massive collection at a yard sale. I'll never forgive her for that.
It seems like LEGO is one of those things that apparently few people recognize the value of. "Oh these kid's toys? Who'd want these?"

Never mind that LEGO doesn't rust or generally decay and even decade old parts are perfectly compatible with modern day ones, which means they retain their value very well even in bulk, and are worth tons if you have complete older kits to sell.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I gave all of my LEGO to my younger cousin when I was 13.
:smith:
And now I have spent more money on LEGO in the last two years than I have on food.

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007

ireladd posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the Pet Shop is the most recent addition to the modular series, having come out in May 2011, so it'll be around for at least another year and a half on shelves. If you find yourself really liking this series, it would be a good idea to pick up the Fire Brigade, as that is near the end of its life cycle, which should be somewhere between this November and January, as the Green Grocer did last year. Once they're gone, they get EXPENSIVE: Cafe Corner

Also, I highly recommend the yearly Winter set! Two years ago they did the Winter Toy Shop. Last year it was a Winter Bakery, and this year will be the Winter Post Office. All are designed with a very Christmas/holiday oriented, charming feel, and in addition to the main building include additions like an ice-skating pond, Christmas tree stand, horse-drawn carriage and others. They also play well into the ideal block-to-dollar ratio, of paying roughly 10¢ a brick (The modular series is also in that ideal range). You can still purchase the bakery, the toy shop will return to stores in about a month the way it did last year and the post office will be out on October 1st. :)

Stop it! I can feel my bank account drying up. :(

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Holy poo poo, those modular buildings have such high resale. I like the ones I have, but I'm not particularly sentimental about them. Sentiment is weak compared to making $600 profit, anyway.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Time Cowboy posted:

Holy poo poo, those modular buildings have such high resale. I like the ones I have, but I'm not particularly sentimental about them. Sentiment is weak compared to making $600 profit, anyway.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. Basically the modular series, Star Wars Collectors sets (Death Star, Millenium Falcon, etc) and generally any set that costs over $150 (Creator Carousel, Taj Mahal) is going to have a huge resale, especially if unopened, once it gets discontinued. The modular buildings have that happen more so than the others because right now there are only 6 in the series, so the desire of ownership for completionists is strong, they look great connected together, and they really are fantastically designed sets.

I know, because I only own the latest four and would love to have the Cafe Corner. The blue Market Street... it's alright. That one was fan-designed.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I have Cafe Corner, Market Street, and the firehouse. All of them are opened, and the boxes are gone (I lived in a small place and never dreamed of selling my Lego), but still... if I sell my Collectors Millennium Falcon this Christmas, and my modular buildings the next, we could afford to buy new stuff for two Christmases!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Clearly giving my collection away was the smart move because otherwise I'd be a lego hobo right now.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I won a Lego train car (set 10015) off eBay for $10, it arrived today and as expected was missing a few pieces. Best part is, even with it built I still have a small tub full of pieces that were in the auction. It even came with the instruction booklet. Its only missing about 5 dollars worth of parts off bricklink. Love that place.

reboot
May 6, 2011
Oh god, i saw this thread and had a serious wave of nostalgia flow through me. I used to play with LEGOs all day every day back when i was younger. I had to order me something and had to get it fast. Decided to go with the Star Wars Tie Defender (8087) off of Amazon. It looks pretty badass and for :20bux: :20bux: not a bad deal either.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't know if anyone's mentioned inspiration websites yet, but for those who build more space creations than anything else, there's conceptships.blogspot.com and its sister blogs (word of warning to those on older computers and/or phones, it's obviously picture-intense and will be slow as hell for you).

meme23
Aug 21, 2011

by T. Finn
For cheap plastic blocks Lego's are expensive as gently caress.

meme23 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 1, 2011

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Who said they were cheap?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

ireladd posted:

I know it's next to go but the Fire Brigade just doesn't do it for me. I passed it up twice to get the Grand Emporium and Pet Shop. Both of those just seem to look cooler and have cooler details inside. I can't wait to see what that alleged Town Hall looks like, although of all their stuff they seem to do the best job of keeping the modular buildings secret.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

Who said they were cheap?
Yeah. Lego bricks are actually pretty incredibly high-quality ABS, since if they weren't they wouldn't be able to fit together so well. It's readily obvious if you look at the competitors, like Mega Bloks or chinese knockoffs or whatever. Lego is many things, including possibly "overpriced", but "cheap plastic" isn't one of them.

meme23
Aug 21, 2011

by T. Finn

Asimo posted:

Yeah. Lego bricks are actually pretty incredibly high-quality ABS, since if they weren't they wouldn't be able to fit together so well. It's readily obvious if you look at the competitors, like Mega Bloks or chinese knockoffs or whatever. Lego is many things, including possibly "overpriced", but "cheap plastic" isn't one of them.

All plastic is cheap. Now back in my day we played with Lincoln Logs. :chord:

meme23 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 1, 2011

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Please stop posting.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

meme23 posted:

For cheap plastick blocks Lego's are expensive as gently caress.

All plastic is cheap.

Exacktly what standard's suggest plastick's all cheap?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Asimo posted:

Being able to fit together for so long also has a lot to do with the processing.
If you cool the plastic slower after molding it, it will retain its shape for a lot longer. Longer processing time = less bricks / hour = more expensive.

In fact, it's quite amazing that Lego bricks still fit on those of the '70s. Plastic products are notorious to warp their shape as time goes on. Lego is truly the best and one of the most durable toys out there.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Can anyone tell me what kind of tires / wheels these are in this picture? I want to build a serious Space rover and those look perfect.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Time Cowboy posted:

Can anyone tell me what kind of tires / wheels these are in this picture? I want to build a serious Space rover and those look perfect.

The tire looks like 45982 but there are several tires like that. I'd check BL's tire section for all the possibilities. The wheel looks like 44772

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The tire looks like 45982 but there are several tires like that. I'd check BL's tire section for all the possibilities. The wheel looks like 44772

Thanks. Man alive, those are expensive. If I wanted six of each, it would tally up to about $30 plus shipping.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Time Cowboy posted:

Thanks. Man alive, those are expensive. If I wanted six of each, it would tally up to about $30 plus shipping.

NASA didn't balk at prices like that. :colbert:

reboot
May 6, 2011

Time Cowboy posted:

Cheaper than real tires. Easier to fit to your vehicle and absolutely more fun! I think it's worth it.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I picked up Mill Village Raid last night.
The windmill itself is kind of lame.
It does have a tiny little mill and grindstone detail, which is pretty neat but the building is dinky and fragile, on an inexplicable pedestal, and with only three walls
Throw in a folding fourth wall and it would have been worlds better.
The barn is rockin', though, and the little goats are awesome.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Toys R Us nearby is liquidating and moving to a new location. I picked up several of the Prince of Persia sets, Alien Conquest smaller sets and several Space Police for around 80% off. Had to restrain myself from buying the 10 or so Lunar Limos they had left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

IGNORE MY POSTS posted:

Toys R Us nearby is liquidating and moving to a new location. I picked up several of the Prince of Persia sets, Alien Conquest smaller sets and several Space Police for around 80% off. Had to restrain myself from buying the 10 or so Lunar Limos they had left.

Lucky bastard :mad: