Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Is there anything as good as the Windows picture viewer for viewing a bunch of photos in a single folder? Preview sucks because I can't easily change the view settings and it doesn't (that I can tell) let me navigate between photos. I know there's some gallery app thing, but it looks like it wants me to put the photos in a library, and I don't want that, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I just use the built-in viewer in Finder; go inside the folder, Command-A to select all, hit the spacebar, then hit the four-pane window icon in the following window to switch to a gallery view.

Should work in Lion and Snow Leopard, but I like the old pageup/pagedown arrows in Snow Leopard better, though.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

brc64 posted:

Is there anything as good as the Windows picture viewer for viewing a bunch of photos in a single folder? Preview sucks because I can't easily change the view settings and it doesn't (that I can tell) let me navigate between photos. I know there's some gallery app thing, but it looks like it wants me to put the photos in a library, and I don't want that, either.

Try Sequential.

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

:feelsgood:
e: Nevermind, got it.

zenthursdays fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 2, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

I just use the built-in viewer in Finder; go inside the folder, Command-A to select all, hit the spacebar, then hit the four-pane window icon in the following window to switch to a gallery view.

Should work in Lion and Snow Leopard, but I like the old pageup/pagedown arrows in Snow Leopard better, though.

That did exactly what I wanted, thanks!

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
So, I just noticed that a file named dl.txt is in my user directory and it has the text "OK" in it. Does anyone know what the hell put it there?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Crush posted:

So, I just noticed that a file named dl.txt is in my user directory and it has the text "OK" in it. Does anyone know what the hell put it there?

Probably an application with a lazy developer who didn't bother coding in proper paths. Dumped a log/status file in your home folder. You can delete it but it'll probably reappear when you next run that app.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

On my computer running Lion at home, the new space button in Mission Control is on the left, but on the display macs where I work, the button is on the right hand side. Why is this and how do I change it?

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Just got an email about Metakine Bundle Promo from Macupdate. Thought it might be of interest to others.

Apps included for 49.95:

DVDRemaster Pro
Decompose
Aurora
Mac DVDRipper Pro
Magic Launch
Hands Off!
Kostumm
Back In Focus
Video Rotate

Leempi fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 3, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Anmitzcuaca posted:

On my computer running Lion at home, the new space button in Mission Control is on the left, but on the display macs where I work, the button is on the right hand side. Why is this and how do I change it?
It appears to be a bug that I haven't figured out myself. I'm not sure how to invoke it but it seems pretty easy to trigger...I somehow did it on an iMac at an Apple Store just after playing with it for a few minutes. It worked fine when I first tried it, then a little later it was doing the left side thing :confused:.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'd use full screen more if it didn't have that annoyingly slow animation. Is there a way to turn it off so that it full screens instantly?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
The only thing I still miss about Windows, after four happy years of MacOSX, is its built-in image viewer. Preview is annoying because you have to select all the images you want to see instead of opening one and just clicking a button to go to the next image in the folder, and it's pretty drat slow in saving rotated images, making processing a whole slew of holiday pictures a chore. Xee fixes the "folder contents browsing"-part, but the rotation doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone recommend me an app that combines folder contents browsing and quick lossless rotation?

Edit: know there's been talk about such apps earlier on this page, but I don't think the ones mentioned support rotation (unless I missed something).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm perfectly happy with iPhoto taking over managing my photos for me, so I haven't been in your shoes. However there's a couple things built into OS X that might help you:

For folder contents browsing, try Finder. You can Quick Look pictures by pressing the Space bar on a selected file. You can go full screen and/or view a slideshow of multiple files. Quick Look works with the arrow keys as well.

For mass image processing, try Automator. You can define a workflow that can include your selected files and tell it to scale, rotate, save as, and more. You can save the workflow as a Finder action, so with a right-click, you can execute that workflow on selected files.

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was having some problems with my Lion install and thought I'd make a new partition on my drive and reinstall from scratch. I'm not having any problems with my current install, so I'd like to to expand that partition and shrink my original partition with the intention of eventually deleting it completely.

Unfortunately, Disk Utility won't allow me to expand my Macintosh HD partition (the one I want to use) so that it uses the free space that I made on the drive from shrinking the Macintosh HD Old partition.

Searching around online, it looks like if I want to increase the partition, I'll have to completely destroy it, or I'll need to buy iPartition and use it's boot up disk to resize it. Is there any other way to do it? I have a Time Machine backup, so destroying the partition and restoring from my backup isn't a problem, I'd just rather not have to do something that takes so long to complete.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

Jolan posted:

Xee fixes the "folder contents browsing"-part, but the rotation doesn't seem to work.

I don't know if your situation is special or anything but I use Xee's lossless rotation feature all the time to process my photos, since it's way faster than iPhoto and Preview. I just hit command-r or command-shift-r to rotate my images and then command-s to save. What happens when you do this?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

MarquisDeSade posted:

I was having some problems with my Lion install and thought I'd make a new partition on my drive and reinstall from scratch. I'm not having any problems with my current install, so I'd like to to expand that partition and shrink my original partition with the intention of eventually deleting it completely.
Boot into Lion's recovery partition and try resizing from there.

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I've tried that it looks like Disk Utility acts identical to how it acts when I'm booted into Lion.

Interestingly enough, when I decided to just erase both partitions, make a new one and restore onto the new, larger one with Time Machine, the Disk Utility from the recovery partition wouldn't allow me to do it, saying it couldn't unmount the the existing partitions.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Try deleting the last partition, formatting the existing partition, then Time Machine restore.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MarquisDeSade posted:

Interestingly enough, when I decided to just erase both partitions, make a new one and restore onto the new, larger one with Time Machine, the Disk Utility from the recovery partition wouldn't allow me to do it, saying it couldn't unmount the the existing partitions.

It's been my experience that, given the opportunity, Lion will try to carve out a recovery partition at the end of the target install partition. So if you've got Lion on "MacBook HD Old," your problem may be that your partition table actually looks like this:
pre:
   #:                       TYPE NAME    
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme 
   1:                        EFI  
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD Old
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD
   4:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 
...or if you have two Lion partitions, tack another Recovery HD on the end.

If you've got two recovery partitions, you can nuke the middle one and should (theoretically—I haven't tried to expand a volume backwards in a while) then be able to resize. Pop open Terminal and diskutil list to find the volume identifier, then diskutil eraseVolume JHFS+ NewVolume diskXsY, substituting the correct identifier.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
doesn't OS X normally deal with reinstalls on top of existing system partitions by putting everything from the old install by putting everything in /Previous System anyway?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

samiamwork posted:

I don't know if your situation is special or anything but I use Xee's lossless rotation feature all the time to process my photos, since it's way faster than iPhoto and Preview. I just hit command-r or command-shift-r to rotate my images and then command-s to save. What happens when you do this?

Nothing; the image just stays the same. It rotates in the viewer itself, of course, but it stays the same in Finder and when I close Xee and re-open the image, it's still in its original position.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to Lion and god drat, I don't know how I ever lived in a world without Mission Control. On the flip side, Launch Pad is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever seen, and makes no sense on anything but mobile devices like iPad/iPod.

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. What I ended up doing was deleting the old partition and making a new one using all of the available free space and restored using Time Machine, so essentially cloning my current setup.

After poking around a bit, it looked like everything was fine, so I deleted the second partition and used Disk Utility to expand the newest partition to use up the newly available free space.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just curious whether anyone with an ATI card running 10.7.1 is noticing Youtube Flash playing extremely choppy HD video when in fullscreen mode?

Specifically if you right click and select Video Info, I'm curious whether you see a lot of dropped frames.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 4, 2011

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Martytoof posted:

I'm just curious whether anyone with an ATI card running 10.7.1 is noticing Youtube Flash playing extremely choppy HD video when in fullscreen mode?

Specifically if you right click and select Video Info, I'm curious whether you see a lot of dropped frames.

Running an old HD2600 in an iMac and in fullscreen HD flash (I believe bbc desktop iplayer is flash at least) I get several bouts of slowdown or complete video freeze every hour.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Plays smooth for me, just tried a 1080p video on Youtube

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to Lion and god drat, I don't know how I ever lived in a world without Mission Control. On the flip side, Launch Pad is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever seen, and makes no sense on anything but mobile devices like iPad/iPod.

As somebody whose first real introduction to OSX is Lion, what does Mission Control bring to the party that didn't exist before? From what I've read, it's an evolution of Expose, which has been around for a while, right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It doesn't feel that different to me. It lets you see the different spaces more easily but I never used them in the first place.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

As somebody whose first real introduction to OSX is Lion, what does Mission Control bring to the party that didn't exist before? From what I've read, it's an evolution of Expose, which has been around for a while, right?
It combines two previously separate window management utilities (Expose and Spaces) into one, which makes my life a hell of a whole lot easier on a laptop.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The application grouping is nice when you have several applications open but only a few windows in each application. What would be nice is if after 3 or so windows in an application, scrolling on it to spread them out would actually trigger per-app Expose. Now, with tons of windows they just overlap too much and it becomes impossible to get at a window at the bottom of the stack.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It combines two previously separate window management utilities (Expose and Spaces) into one, which makes my life a hell of a whole lot easier on a laptop.
But for some reason it completely ignores anything that minimized, and sometimes hides small pop-ups almost completely behind the main window of whatever app they're a part of. Those are really the only problems I have with MC.

Launchpad on the other hand is completely useless, and making App Store apps go there instead of the Dock was a pretty dumb choice if you ask me.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Stare-Out posted:

Launchpad on the other hand is completely useless, and making App Store apps go there instead of the Dock was a pretty dumb choice if you ask me.

Frankly I'm annoyed with either of those things. I'd rather the app store just stick them in the applications folder and leave it at that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Plays smooth for me, just tried a 1080p video on Youtube

Nuntius posted:

Running an old HD2600 in an iMac and in fullscreen HD flash (I believe bbc desktop iplayer is flash at least) I get several bouts of slowdown or complete video freeze every hour.

Thanks for checking, I just wanted to eliminate some stock Apple configs to make sure that it wasn't a known issue with Flash and Lion or something before I went to troubleshoot my custom setup.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for checking, I just wanted to eliminate some stock Apple configs to make sure that it wasn't a known issue with Flash and Lion or something before I went to troubleshoot my custom setup.

I think it's a known issue

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/07/21/adobe-explains-why-flash-runs-so-poorly-on-os-x-lion/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure that this is no longer relevant for the Lion GM or Flash 10.3.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I came across that article but I read the update section at the bottom and it doesn't seem to apply anymore. Thanks anyway though!

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

I'm not getting the right google keywords: I want to pass my laptop onto my sister, and have her open it and see the Lion welcome screen to go through the whole setup thing.

How would I got about reformatting the thing completely? Restart and hold CMD-R, and format the drive from the utility options, then... re-install how?

Does that go via that new internet install thing?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I kinda like launchpad actually, but then again Lion was my introduction to OS X so I never knew anything else. All the apps I use daily are on my dock anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really WANT to like Launchpad, but not letting me customize the screens by removing apps I don't want seems really lame. At the same time I don't want to delete apps I don't want in Launchpad.

Just because I never use fuckin, whatever, Adobe License Manager 5.0 or something, doesn't mean I should have to choose between staring at it in Launchpad or deleting it altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Martytoof posted:

I really WANT to like Launchpad, but not letting me customize the screens by removing apps I don't want seems really lame. At the same time I don't want to delete apps I don't want in Launchpad.

Just because I never use fuckin, whatever, Adobe License Manager 5.0 or something, doesn't mean I should have to choose between staring at it in Launchpad or deleting it altogether.

Well, there's a few apps that will let you modify what shows up in launchpad without deleting the app. The names are escaping me right now though...

Edit: Launchpad-Control is one, I just realized I had it downloaded.

1997 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 4, 2011