Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Gabriel Pope posted:

Also I just now noticed this thread was here, so hello Kazerad! I am a fan of your stuff. :) Your furry thread on MSPAF was a thing of beauty, until furries showed up and ruined it.
Thank you! And yeah, the furry thread stopped being that fun as soon as the serious furries outnumbered the fake furries. I still drop by and draw seahorses whenever I underestimate Long Island Iced Tea, though.

Pakled posted:

Mainly because Bethesda can't be arsed to keep the beast races looking the same between games

I think a lot of it also had to do with changing technology. Back in Arena, every race was pretty much just a palette swap. In Daggerfall, they were just a different "paper doll" background image. Then Redguard comes along and Bethesda is like "technology exists now! Let's make khajiit look like giant cats and argonians look like terrifying crocodile men".

They're just looking for in-lore ways to play with the available technology. Just watch, as soon as realtime liquid physics becomes practical, they're going to introduce a subrace of extra-sweaty Imperials or something.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kazerad posted:

They're just looking for in-lore ways to play with the available technology. Just watch, as soon as realtime liquid physics becomes practical, they're going to introduce a subrace of extra-sweaty Imperials or something.

Given the way folks in Oblivion glistened radiantly with the power of a thousand tanning-bed bulbs even in a small cave, lit only by a flickering torch, I'm fairly sure they've already got that worked out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Update

Surprise! Gro-Upp got his hands on the letter! Wait that is not a surprise. There is nothing those abs don't hide.

So he says he'll have to go to Anvil, Chorrol, or Skingrad, which means either that Katia is going to one of those places in the future or that Gro-Upp will soon receive reason to go to Kvatch.

Gonna bet a popular submission will be for Dmitri to request that the scross he leave behind be the letter for Katia. If so, there's a chance Gro-Upp might read it. That's about it for guesses about what might happen at this point, although the odds of Dmitri dying at this point are pretty much zero.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

Update

Surprise! Gro-Upp got his hands on the letter! Wait that is not a surprise. There is nothing those abs don't hide.

Someone wasn't reading closely enough, the book was packed between his herculean glutes. :colbert:

Totally different.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The look of concentration as he tosses the book out is amazing. :allears:

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Gro-Upp is a despicable person but I'm finding it really hard to hate him.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Fudge Handsome posted:

Gro-Upp is a despicable person but I'm finding it really hard to hate him.

I'm getting a sense of Stockholm Syndrome from him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vinigre posted:

I'm getting a sense of Stockholm Syndrome from him.

Probably accurate. One of the key mechanisms behind Stockholm Syndrome is that victims tend to perceive small acts of mercy as being disproportionately benevolent. It happens when people mistake an aggressor doing less wrong for doing good. "He locked me up in a tiny office for 72 hours and threatened to kill me when I've done nothing wrong, but he gave me a Twinkie so I guess he's not so bad after all!" "Well he robbed me of all my valuables, but at least he let me keep a few worthless personal effects, he seems like a pretty decent guy!"

It helps that he's just pretty drat charismatic in general.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think more importantly from the point of view of the readers, he's hilarious.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

It helps that he's just pretty drat charismatic in general.

He seems to be pretty high in all stats - as someone said, he's like a parody of a rampaging player character. He crunches his numbers, min-maxes his profits, cuts a bloody swathe through anything that seems reasonably stabbable and smoothtalks anyone he doesn't immediately murder.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Dmitri should mention better value in the chest he has. Gro-upp gets undead cat'd.

Though I really hope that Katia and Asotil happen to be walking by, due to the changed schedule. (Though it probably isn't in effect right now)

If only Dmitri didn't put the diamond on the ring.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dominic White posted:

He seems to be pretty high in all stats - as someone said, he's like a parody of a rampaging player character. He crunches his numbers, min-maxes his profits, cuts a bloody swathe through anything that seems reasonably stabbable and smoothtalks anyone he doesn't immediately murder.

Not to mention he stores an illogical number of items within various crevices on his body, meaning he has a huge inventory but outwardly looks totally normal.

Well, not normal, but you get the gist.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder what we're going to get today...

:stare:

Welp.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dmitri oh nooooooooooo
Please be alright with your necromantic powers :ohdear:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Man, nobody wants to talk about Kvatch. What is it with those guys.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
As much as I like you, Gro-Upp, but drat you for doing that to Dimitri. :argh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gharugg just stopped being endearing to me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Gharugg just stopped being endearing to me.
You kidding? That was hilarious. NOBODY TALKS ABOUT THE KVATCH MAGES GUILD. NOBODY.

Admittedly this may be more amusing to me becuase I've played the game, and that is literally true. I don't think there's a single line of dialogue in the entire game about the place.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Called it.

Our tragedy quotient was bottoming out. Now we feel sad about two people - Dmitri, who we were growing to like, and Katia, who missed an opportunity for something positive to happen in her life without even knowing the opportunity was there. That's dramatic irony, son.

Unless he comes back to life, or is reanimated in some necromancy way, or something. If it were up to me this wouldn't happen, but this is a stark enough turn that we may just be soaking in the shock before next update turns it around.

*edit* Kazerad has made comments to the effect that yep, he's following user requests on this one and Dmitri's dead. Of course if you want to get desperate he could just be extending the charade, but I think it's safe to say Dmitri's dead for real until we see something else.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 5, 2011

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The true victim of this is being overlooked. All of Dmitri's cats.

The readers are cruel and terrible people.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ffffffffffffffuck. Maybe Dimitri still has enough life left in him to chug a healing potion or something.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
But what's going to happen to Mr. Scruffles? :ohdear:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

That Guy Bob posted:

But what's going to happen to Mr. Scruffles? :ohdear:

I don't think undead cats need to eat, so Mr. Scruffles might be able to feed the other cats. Or eat them.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Soonmot posted:

Ffffffffffffffuck. Maybe Dimitri still has enough life left in him to chug a healing potion or something.

Uhh yeah, I don't think a healing potion would save that.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Taerkar posted:

The readers are cruel and terrible people.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. Hopefully one of the scrolls had a decent healing spell on it. :(

Herpus Derpus
Nov 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
The black guy always dies first.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder if this whole interlude was just a way to make Gharug invincible against Katia or if there'll be some other significance to it that isn't apparent yet.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

Uhh yeah, I don't think a healing potion would save that.

They're magic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well that's one way to remind the audience that Gro-Upp is not a likeable character. At all. He's a whimsical murderer.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
He's funny, though.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Kazerad :negative:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I hope Katia takes care of all of the cats.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Herpus Derpus posted:

The black guy always dies first.
What, is the elf not even a person now? :colbert:

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

I agree but, Kazerad, don't go introducing a new view-point character every time things are about to get interesting. Prequel not doing just that (at least, not yet) is one of the points I used to sell it to other people.

Net characters introduced: 0 :cool:

Seriously though, killing Dmitri has been really interesting for me due to the sheer variety in reader reactions. Most people recognized his death as just another part of the story, but some got really angry at me for killing him. To a degree, I can kind of understand why Andrew Hussie keeps bringing dead characters back or showing them happily chilling in the afterlife: a lot of readers are really crushed by a character death. It's tempting to make those readers happy. Especially when they're making poo poo like this:

justme (from the MSPA forums) posted:

Dmitri and Katia's Impossible Interspecies Children

;-;

There's always a lot of people who cry "railroading!" when I edge the story in a direction, but I think that's a misnomer. It's not "railroading" so much as a "no passing zone". There is plenty of opportunity to change lanes while the line is dashed, but if you don't get in the right lane by the time it turns solid, you miss your exit. Which isn't always a bad thing! Sometimes the wrong road leads to very neat places.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 5, 2011

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Don't grieve for Dmitri. The hero of Oblivion would have killed him eventually anyway. Necromancers are one of those groups you just murder randomly for treasure or skill training when you're bored. They infest areas you want to go to plunder, like ruins and caves. The only conversation you're likely to have with them is whatever noises they make while they try to murder you. Basically, they're like rats, only human-shaped and with a better loot table.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The necromancers that cast stuff at you are the ones that you kill unless you're a video game psychopath (Which too many people are)

Dmitri would be a quest giver, or at least someone with amusing little soundbits and 500 cats.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Actually, I think there aren't any housecats at all, in the entire game. Dmitri really did have all of them, it seems.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Kazerad posted:

There's always a lot of people who cry "railroading!" when I edge the story in a direction, but I think that's a misnomer. It's not "railroading" so much as a "no passing zone". There is plenty of opportunity to change lanes while the line is dashed, but if you don't get in the right lane by the time it turns solid, you miss your exit. Which isn't always a bad thing! Sometimes the wrong road leads to very neat places.
I think you're doing more than just edging the story--you created Dmitri, his cats, his possessions, you introduced Landorumil, then brought Gro-upp into the scenario. You also get to pick and choose which reader suggestions to incorporate, and decide what the results of those decisions are. You have like 90% of the control of the narrative here, and nobody can see the road markings except you.

Anyway, obviously it's sad to see Dmitri get merked, but I'm kind of mixed on it from a narrative standpoint. On the one hand, his arc feels really incomplete and kind of pointless now. On the other hand, it's definitely in keeping with the masochistic tendencies of the story so far. :shepface:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Haledjian posted:

I think you're doing more than just edging the story--you created Dmitri, his cats, his possessions, you introduced Landorumil, then brought Gro-upp into the scenario. You also get to pick and choose which reader suggestions to incorporate, and decide what the results of those decisions are. You have like 90% of the control of the narrative here, and nobody can see the road markings except you.
This. Dmitri would presumably know why no one talks about Kvatch's Mages guild, or at least know that no one talks about it. Katia wouldn't, as she's new to the continent. But I guess the Necromancer's are really out of the loop?

Also, since Dmitri is in the necromancer's den, he could always be resurrected.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The only reason he would be brought back in any way is to find a new way to make Katia more miserable or the audience upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Haledjian posted:

I honestly prefer it when MSPA-style stories just use the reader suggestions as jokes and for the most part control the story on their own. I like when the reader suggestions make funny things like "friendship diamond" but I like seeing what the author has in mind more than what the readers want to happen.

We aren't making "right" and "wrong" decisions, we're just phrasing the decisions in command format, the end result would be the same anyways because that specific end result is what would have made a better story.

• Locked thread