Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

fivegears4reverse posted:

I think what makes it more ridiculous is a lot of the time, people lionize this poo poo

No they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am dumb

Harold Ramis Drugs fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 3, 2011

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008
I had the opposite problem throughout the game. I hoarded weapons and ammo not knowing when I would really need to open up and destroy poo poo. I always carried my 10mm, revolver, assault rifle, machine pistol, stun gun, and a heavy weapon all at the same time with as much ammo as I could carry for them. Towards the end of the game I realized I was stockpiling for no reason, and I dropped my stun gun and had about 400 ammo for both my assault rifle and machine pistol, 60 pulse gun ammo, 70 10mm, and 60 revolver ammo. The only thing that sucked about this was dropping a weapon temporarily to pick up upgrades.

At one point I had so much machine pistol ammo (600+) that instead of dropping some to make room, I fired full clips to get down to 300 so I could at least get some use out of them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Grey Fox V2 posted:

The endings in DEHR are just spliced together stock video with commentary by Adam which while extremely well written and thoughtful feel like a bit of an anti-climax, I didn't really feel like the game ended until Bob and Megan finished talking but that was just a lead into Deus Ex 1.
Man, seriously? The writing made me cringe - it felt like an extremely clumsy attempt to be deep without saying anything of substance.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 3, 2011

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

harskarenjag posted:

I had the opposite problem throughout the game. I hoarded weapons and ammo not knowing when I would really need to open up and destroy poo poo. I always carried my 10mm, revolver, assault rifle, machine pistol, stun gun, and a heavy weapon all at the same time with as much ammo as I could carry for them. Towards the end of the game I realized I was stockpiling for no reason, and I dropped my stun gun and had about 400 ammo for both my assault rifle and machine pistol, 60 pulse gun ammo, 70 10mm, and 60 revolver ammo. The only thing that sucked about this was dropping a weapon temporarily to pick up upgrades.

I had the same problem. I had over 100 rounds for my sniper rifle that I fired maybe 10 times through out the game. Not to mention 8 typhoon shots that I also used only twice during the game in a boss fight. Granted I think I spent 90% of the time decking people out cold.

If I had to complain about anything I think they didn't really give you any incentive to use a lethal takedown. The nonlethal takedown is quieter, gives more xp, and the animations seemed to be shorter. If I snuck up on a dude there was no reason for me to ever kill him unless I accidentally held the button down.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ape posted:

Just put the patch0 file in the same folder as the game executable.

Ok, now I feel really dumb, but where does steam keep put the game executable files? I tried searching for it but I can't find it. I just did the regular default install to drive C.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ugh. What is in the game, up to the point of the first boss, that you'd dump EVERYTHING just so you can exclusively have a silenced assault rifle and I'm assuming ammo for it? Did you not have any gas grenades, EMP grenades, frag grenades? Anything else at all?

Reading comments like this convinces me that the problem with the boss fights really is more of an issue with the players themselves.

Why would I carry around a ton of crap in my inventory that I had no intention of using in my current play style? You probably don't have the inventory upgrades yet and a tranq rifle, a stun gun, ammo for both, and some miscellaneous crap like energy bars doesn't leave a lot of room for alternate load outs.

You're not supposed to anticipate that the game will suddenly stop giving multiple solutions to problems and railroad you into a shoot-it-until-it-dies firefight. There's already been enough text written on how stealth and hacking are categorically superior to going Rambo, no one can be blamed for picking up on that and building for it so when the game pulls the rug out from under you that's the developer's fault, not yours.

fisty delicious
Nov 24, 2010
I bowled two dudes over with the PEPS gun and they just got back up :mad: That a bug or a feature? Also when I was talking to Malik for her Hengsha side mission some of her dialogue didn't happen. Jensen was talking about something and inexplicably busted out with "Whoa there Malik, slow down!" Dude's such an rear end

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008

gibbed posted:

It's in the game but normally inaccessible. The game uses Scaleform for its UI, and the various patches I made (no-intro, map select, debug menu) I simply changed the actionscript code at various points to force them to be enabled.

This thing works perfectly, thanks so much for this. Time to blow everyone up with my pulse gun.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

Ok, now I feel really dumb, but where does steam keep put the game executable files? I tried searching for it but I can't find it. I just did the regular default install to drive C.

steam\steamapps\common\deus ex

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

haveblue posted:

Why would I carry around a ton of crap in my inventory that I had no intention of using in my current play style? You probably don't have the inventory upgrades yet and a tranq rifle, a stun gun, ammo for both, and some miscellaneous crap like energy bars doesn't leave a lot of room for alternate load outs.

haveblue posted:

a stun gun, ammo for both
Yep, you could beat the first boss just fine.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

fisty delicious posted:

I bowled two dudes over with the PEPS gun and they just got back up :mad: That a bug or a feature? Also when I was talking to Malik for her Hengsha side mission some of her dialogue didn't happen. Jensen was talking about something and inexplicably busted out with "Whoa there Malik, slow down!" Dude's such an rear end

To be fair he never asked for this.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

haveblue posted:

You're not supposed to anticipate that the game will suddenly stop giving multiple solutions to problems and railroad you into a shoot-it-until-it-dies firefight. There's already been enough text written on how stealth and hacking are categorically superior to going Rambo, no one can be blamed for picking up on that and building for it so when the game pulls the rug out from under you that's the developer's fault, not yours.

I don't know man, even jimmy bond had to put down the suave and get bloody every now and then.

Plus I'm pretty sure you can "throw things at it until it dies" so its not as railroady as you claim mr conductor.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

Yes, it certainly is the developer's fault that in a game where exploration an observation are rewarded, the player doesn't look around the room the boss is in for things to use again him and just sits there and shoots a silenced AR at them while claiming ITS TOO HARRRRRRRD.

Edit: This isn't really meant to sound like a 'HAHA I'M SMARTER THAN YOU' post, it just genuinely seems ridiculous to me that people act as though the bosses in general are this nearly insurmountable obstacle you face and that the game does NOTHING before and during each encounter to help you, when there is plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 3, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Yes, it certainly is the developer's fault that in a game where exploration an observation are rewarded, the player doesn't look around the room the boss is in for things to use again him and just sits there and shoots a silenced AR at them while claiming ITS TOO HARRRRRRRD.
It can be difficult to explore when someone's tossing grenades and shooting a minigun at you.

I was playing stealthy/pacifist, but I only really had trouble with the second boss, since I foolishly ditched all my genuinely lethal armaments a while before, and the only one I found in the room was that minigun. Wasn't the best for dealing with her because of the spin-up time; I could stun her with the stun gun well enough, but by the time I switched weapons and spun up the gun, I could get out maybe 3 bullets before she got out of stun and blew her legs up at me. I guess, based on what people are saying, I could have just fired a score of stun gun darts at her to take her down, but I didn't realize they did anything but the temporary stun, and I think I can be excused in that ignorance, since there's no way to tell that she's actually taking damage.

Fortunately, I had some frag mines in my inventory that I'd picked up earlier to sell - those ended up being useful.

Anyway, the point is, you don't need to be so nasty about it. :(

edit: Oh, yeah, I had a little trouble with the last boss, too, but mostly just because I had no idea what was going on. Hanging around behind a pillar after doing computery stuff eventually proved successful, though.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 3, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult this flawless, infinitely refined apotheosis of gaming. Clearly there is nothing at all even slightly objectionable about a single second of the experience and every critic on the net and three-quarters of the posters in this thread are deluded heretics.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult this flawless, infinitely refined apotheosis of gaming. Clearly there is nothing at all even slightly objectionable about a single second of the experience and every critic on the net and three-quarters of the posters in this thread are deluded heretics.

Oh no, the game is plenty flawed. Anyone can see that.

Maybe you should admit your actual gameplay is rife with it's own series of mistakes.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

fisty delicious posted:

I bowled two dudes over with the PEPS gun and they just got back up :mad: That a bug or a feature?
Yeah I tried the PEPS gun on a group of guys and never used it again, since it doesn't really do anything useful. I guess dudes falling down for a moment might help you run up to them and punch them in the face, but ehh that's easy enough even without a push-over gun.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Maybe you should admit your actual gameplay is rife with it's own series of mistakes.
Everybody makes mistakes! One of the questions of game design is how tolerant of player error or imperfect play to be. The boss fights, I think, are both less tolerant of error and give you fewer correct avenues than the rest of the game.

smuh posted:

Yeah I tried the PEPS gun on a group of guys and never used it again, since it doesn't really do anything useful. I guess dudes falling down for a moment might help you run up to them and punch them in the face, but ehh that's easy enough even without a push-over gun.
Doesn't it have like a chance of actually knocking them out? I never really used it, because I was playing stealthy, and a weapon that knocks people over but doesn't kill them or knock them out is like the least stealthy thing ever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Welp, Gibs' mod has taught me why people are so wary of Augs. Goddamn, full augmentations, fully upgraded shotgun and plenty of hostile targets - I turned into a goddamn sociopath, killing them left, right and centre. gently caress humanity, jack me up with cyberware. :black101:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The PEPS can knock out but only at point-blank range.

fisty delicious
Nov 24, 2010
^ ok, that explains it

smuh posted:

See but I'm not sure it's supposed to work like that, on my first playthrough when I used it the guards would get knocked out, not just fall over. Maybe the spec ops guards are an exception?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a modified FXAA "injector" I found that works great for Deus Ex: HR for those who can't get it working in DX9. If you're having trouble getting it to work in DX11 as well let me know and I'll upload that version too.

http://web.igniferous.net/Swartz/downloads/fxaa_4_dxhr.rar

Note that I uploaded this before finishing tinkering because I'm still sure I can get it looking better, but other people may have more luck. As it is it's FXAA and it won't crash your game telling you your hardware is too poo poo to use it ;)

Note: This is for Nvidia cards only (I believe).

quote:

Installation:

Drop everything into your main DX:HR directory (where dxhr.exe is located).

It will always start by default in-game, but it can be toggled on/off with the "Pause/Break" key in real time.

IMPORTANT: Disable any other AA for the game first or it won't work. This goes for both in-game settings as well as your driver control panel.

Quality settings:
(My interpretation anyways)

You can adjust these settings by opening Shader.fx with notepad or whatever and adjusting FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET to one of the following:

20-25 = Low quality
26-29 = Medium quality (29 by Default)
39 = High quality

For the other values I suggest reading through the information provided in Fxaa3_11.h which details everything.

You may wish to enable the sharpening filter, but I was unable to find any acceptable settings for using it with Deus Ex: HR.

Performance:
===========

I didn't bother doing a benchmark of any kind before uploading this, but at default settings I'd say it's about as fast or perhaps a little faster than 4x MSAA + in-game "Edge" AA, and with similar results in the end.

All credit goes to the original authors. I simply played with settings until they felt right for this particular game.

-Swartz

@gibbed: In case it's of any help, here's a list of various functions that were found at cheatengine.com forums a while back that nobody knew what to do with (and it sounds like the sort of stuff you're able to use):

intro
dynamic_ads
g_unlockedDLCPacks
infinite_ammo
immortal
accesscode
nohud
uberobject_info
g_aimAssist

Not sure if that's helpful or not. Could be console commands that are restricted or something.

P.S. Somebody please provide me with the Splinter Cell: Conviction Nvidia Inspector profile. I really don't want to install that lovely game again just so I have access to the profile :(
Nevermind. It's listed as "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction" which is why I couldn't find it. I'll be posting a guide for performance (if it works) in a later post that assists DX:HR.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 3, 2011

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

^^^^

All of those sound amazing. Maybe we can get a console. I for one would love to have all the dlc unlocked. Waaaait. Does this mean all of our games come with the data for the dlc? (g_unlockeddlcpacks

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Strudel Man posted:

Everybody makes mistakes! One of the questions of game design is how tolerant of player error or imperfect play to be. The boss fights, I think, are both less tolerant of error and give you fewer correct avenues than the rest of the game.

I think the game is fairly intolerant of error in combat as a whole, ESPECIALLY on the highest difficulty. Even with dermal upgrades, poo poo goes south remarkably fast, which I kinda like. It makes you pick your fights a little better, and be smarter about it.

I like sneaking up behind guys after distracting them, meleeing them down, then cloaking to run off and flank them again while they panic and keep shooting at where they think I still am. It's like playing Crysis 'For The Less Coordinated' Edition, except sometimes I make a wrong move and I die faster here than I ever did in Crysis.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Pretty much the only thing the PEPS is good for is pushing fridges and vending machines onto their sides for use in your construction projects.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Swartz posted:

Not sure if that's helpful or not. Could be console commands that are restricted or something.

I remember seeing a few of those in the debug menu that his latest mode unlocked. Unfortunately it seems like g_unlockedDLCPacks just reports the ones that are unlocked, not a changeable variable to unlock the preorder DLCs. I could be wrong, but that's all the function in the debug menu did.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HyperHopper posted:

^^^^

All of those sound amazing. Maybe we can get a console. I for one would love to have all the dlc unlocked. Waaaait. Does this mean all of our games come with the data for the dlc? (g_unlockeddlcpacks

I'm not sure if it's unlocked by default.

By experimenting with some cheatengine tables it was possible (but now useless since gibbed unlocked a superior method) to spawn new items. Whenever I tried spawning a DLC item my game would crash. It's possible that if said switch were changed it wouldn't have that problem though.

e: Nevermind, thanks Umberger for clarifying.

mandrake776
Nov 6, 2006

There's nothing quite like urinating in the open air.

haveblue posted:

If you didn't appreciate the chance the game gives you to be Race Bannon then I don't know what to tell you.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

HyperHopper posted:

Waaaait. Does this mean all of our games come with the data for the dlc? (g_unlockeddlcpacks
The preorder DLC data is present in every copy of DX3 regardless if you preordered or not, yes.

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009

Tecman posted:

Gibbed, you're amazing. :)

Also, it turns out I compiled it properly, but used the executables from the wrong folders. :v:

Could you post the combined mod somewhere? I would like to check out gibbed's awsome new stuff but i like the stacking too. I don't have the unpacking tools (or know to use them).

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
So the Bouncer in the Hive told me to speak to Bobby and Jensen's reply was,

"Who's he? You all look the same to me."

JENSEN! :stare:

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

gibbed posted:

The preorder DLC data is present in every copy of DX3 regardless if you preordered or not, yes.

This is probably a dumb question, but if you make changes in the debug menu and then restart the game, it resets it to normal right? They're just session toggles basically?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

unpurposed posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but if you make changes in the debug menu and then restart the game, it resets it to normal right? They're just session toggles basically?
Yes, some seem to reset after zoning too (like infinite ammo).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

The PEPS can knock out but only at point-blank range.

Not even at point-blank. Anyone hit directly with the blast goes to sleep, but there's a decent margin to the left and right of the impact zone that'll knock people over.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

gibbed posted:

I am still hoping that it becomes available to those of us that don't have it. This locking away missions is kinda bullshit.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Lasher posted:

Hahahah that made me do a double take when it happened.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

I am still hoping that it becomes available to those of us that don't have it. This locking away missions is kinda bullshit.

It's only one side quest, and from what I've read it's incredibly short and not really that interesting.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Lasher posted:

http://youtu.be/KUbtFlYk-4o?t=2m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.

Hahah oh game, you tricked me with that one. I didn't actually pick the option just in case it started a fight.

• Locked thread